PDA

View Full Version : What to bring to Texas

evisiron
2007-08-17, 12:08 PM
Just about to head to texas to study at Texas Wesleyan for a year, and packing my bags.

Well, putting off packing my bag to surf forums for a few minutes...

But I cannot help but feel I have forgotten something. So, heading from the UK to the US to study for a year, what would you bring (or more precisely, what would you bring that I am likely to have forgotten)?

SurlySeraph
2007-08-17, 12:20 PM
A fan. Texas gets really, really hot in the spring and summer. Other than that, nothing special.

FireSpark
2007-08-17, 12:25 PM
Being from the UK, you probably already know this one, but remember to pack (and always have at hand once you're here) a sturdy umbrella. Texas thunderstorms are bit less predictable than the rain in England.

Semidi
2007-08-17, 12:27 PM
Mosquito repellant if you plan on spending any time outdoors. Texas is just like any other state, except you get more people saying “y’all.”

ForzaFiori
2007-08-17, 12:30 PM
every piece of rain gear you own.

it never rains in Texas.
it pours.

Jibar
2007-08-17, 12:54 PM
Well, considering it's UK to US...
Could you take Essex with ya?
I'm sure we would all really appreciate it.

Totally Guy
2007-08-17, 01:09 PM
International plug socket converters. For the fan.

Passport, papers...

A bag to put all the unused "U"s in when you need to spell something like colour or behaviour and you don't have to put a U in it.

TSGames
2007-08-17, 01:15 PM
Flip flops and lots of shorts.

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-17, 01:19 PM
Something to use to mess with the local populace. They get so cute when they're riled. :elan:

Cruxador
2007-08-17, 01:21 PM
I don't know if you even have one, living in Britain and all, but you should definitely have a gun while in Texas. just make sure not to put it in your carry-on at the airport, or they'll take it.

bosssmiley
2007-08-17, 01:30 PM
Something to use to mess with the local populace. They get so cute when they're riled. :elan:

Some building materials for that tatty old adobe church (you know, the one Ozzy Osbourne took a wazz on) that they haven't got around to fixing up yet. :smallwink:

V-- Oh! Oh! Oh! A huge (hubcap-sized), chunky "Don't Mess with Texas" belt buckle on a real leather belt.

Pyro
2007-08-17, 01:38 PM
Geez you people! You forgot he needs a cowboy hat. Duh...

valadil
2007-08-17, 01:57 PM
Bring this word of warning. In Texas, "he needed killing," is a valid legal defense.

evisiron
2007-08-17, 02:07 PM
Bring this word of warning. In Texas, "he needed killing," is a valid legal defense.

This is one of the things that stopped me buying the "Dont Mess With Texas: It's not nice to pick on retards" T-shirt.

But well mentioned on umbrellas and stuff. I kind of assumed blazing sunshine. But of course, more sunshine means heavier rain :smallannoyed:

Any other stuff? Of course, my DnD books and warhammer equipment were the first into the luggage :smallbiggrin:

potatocubed
2007-08-17, 05:04 PM
1. Sunblock. I went to Arizona rather than Texas, but if the climate is about the same you will need that protection the moment you step off the plane.

The problem is that a large bottle of sunblock breaks the silly 'liquid restrictions' - which are, by the way, different on different flights depending on the country of origin* - so you'll need to take a small one in your hand baggage and buy more when you get there.

2. Dollars. Not Traveller's Cheques, but actual folding green. Having some readies when you get there makes a big difference, especially since you'll need to navigate the US ATM system to get money from your bank, which can be disorientating at first** and if you arrive half as jet-lagged as I did, you'll want things simple.

2a. Make sure your bank lets you withdraw money from overseas ATMs and otherwise pay for stuff. I have a Visa debit card and it works fine. I expect Mastercard will too. Maestro almost certainly won't because it's a European thing.

2b. Since you're going to be there for a year, you might as well open a US bank account while you're there. It makes life easier. You'll need a load of documentation that the university gives you (including a temporary Social Security Number, or SSN) but it's a worthwhile hoop to jump through.

3. Details. Write down the address and telephone number of where you're going to be staying in the US. Put a copy in your pocket, a copy in your check baggage and a copy in your carry-on. If you don't have this information handy when you get to the US they will turn you around and kick you right back out. I know, because it very nearly happened to me.

4. A laptop. It beats using the computer labs.

5. Sexual protection and the knowledge of how to use it. Seriously. As a sweeping generalisation, American girls are a) beautiful and b) hot for British accents.*** :smallbiggrin: Unfortunately, US sex ed programs are shockingly bad, so if you want to avoid all sorts of mishaps it's best to take responsibility yourself.**** Once again, I dodged this bullet myself, hence the warning.

6. Money, Tickets, Passport, Visa. Everything else can be replaced.

I think that's the extent of my general UK/US travel knowledge. I did much the same thing and I had the most awesome time of my life, so I'm certain that you're going to have a blast.

Enjoy! :smallsmile:

* This could be important if you're taking internal flights in the US before you reach your final destination.

** Hint: if given the option, choose 'checking account' instead of 'savings account'

*** I can't speak for US guys if you happen to be female, but I'm told it's much the same.

**** I'm sorry if any Americans take offence at the implication that they can't look after themselves in this way. I don't mean it like that, I'm just erring on the side of caution.

Ashtar
2007-08-17, 06:37 PM
When I went over to the states for a summer, I took six panoramic postcards of the landscape around where I live. It's great to be able to say to americans "And where I live it looks like this!".

Seriously, over summer, I talked with 3500 families and more than 20% had never been over 100 miles from where they were born. So it's great to have something to show, a map, a postcard and maybe even a collection of notes / coins from your country.

Having something kitsch from home is real cool!

Thrivol
2007-08-19, 10:27 PM
Just about to head to texas to study at Texas Wesleyan for a year, and packing my bags.

Well, putting off packing my bag to surf forums for a few minutes...

But I cannot help but feel I have forgotten something. So, heading from the UK to the US to study for a year, what would you bring (or more precisely, what would you bring that I am likely to have forgotten)?
Is that near the Dallas/Fortworth area?
If so, I can help.

Bring an umbrella. And you are set.

But here are tips:
The weathermen are wrong. ALWAYS.
Mesquite (the town)=1337 sauce.
Go to high school football games, leave at half-time (Texas marching bands are amazing).

(Oh, and Texas is nothing like what you expect. As in, if you expect cowboy hats, you are wrong. If you expect retarded country hicks, you are wrong.)

Nomrom
2007-08-19, 10:33 PM
Just realize that your country will be insulted. Texans have a lot of pride in their state, mainly because we know we're better than everyone else. Expect to hear these things, and realize that poking fun of Texas in the wrong company can be a bad idea. Also, we are not the backwards cowboy hicks everyone takes us as.

Scatman
2007-08-19, 10:33 PM
Being an inhabitant, I give you this advice.
Definately something to keep you cool.Make sure to buy a keychain which says "I went to Texas and all Scatman gave me was this crappy keychain."
Bug repellant, and sunblock if your going to stay out often. Make sure to speak with local grammar, such as calling all sodas "coke".Well, not all the time.

And..Bring your Texas spirit, DONT BE AN IDIOT AND DRESS LIKE A COWBOY!

Also:Yes, we arent hick cowboys.And we do know that were mostly bigger and better than everyone, because we are quite egotistical at times.:smallwink:
If you insult us, you should be prepared to be roughed up...There are some people that are just like it.

ForzaFiori
2007-08-19, 10:44 PM
*** I can't speak for US guys if you happen to be female, but I'm told it's much the same.

hm.
i dont know about other guys, but while i think the british accent is cool, i much prefer an italian one on a girl.

although any foreign accent is bound to be a good topic starter.

Which reminds me: Dont get mad if you are Irish/Scottish/Welsh/what-have-you and someone calls you english. I had a guy nearly jump me b/c i didnt recognize the difference between a scottish accent and an english one. Just as you probably cant tell the difference between a southerner, yankee, or westerner, most of us cant tell the difference between the various british sub-species.

happy scatman?

Nomrom
2007-08-19, 10:56 PM
And, as the T-shirt says: dont mess with Texas. Its not nice to pick on retards.

See, comments like that are the ones I was talking about. If you say something like that, prepare to be at least verbally assaulted about the greatness of Texas and the failure that is just about everyone else.

Thrivol
2007-08-19, 10:56 PM
Just realize that your country will be insulted. Texans have a lot of pride in their state, mainly because we know we're better than everyone else. Expect to hear these things, and realize that poking fun of Texas in the wrong company can be a bad idea. Also, we are not the backwards cowboy hicks everyone takes us as.
Pride? We're egotistical maniacs who not only know our state is the best, it blows every other state out of the water with a nuclear explosion the size of a couple of universes.

Yeah, don't mess with Texas.

Scatman
2007-08-19, 11:00 PM
See, comments like that are the ones I was talking about. If you say something like that, prepare to be at least verbally assaulted about the greatness of Texas and the failure that is just about everyone else.

Yes.Dont Be an ass, dont wear T-shirts like that.You will be ****ed up real quick by the locals.

Edit:Yes, Mf11.I am.