PDA

View Full Version : That's one small step for man... And another small step for man... [Base Class]

Kellus
2007-08-17, 05:27 PM
The Ankylonaut

Note: This class uses the Evolutions system, which can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2935456).

The ankylonaut learns all he needs of battle from the sturdy ankylosaurus, possibly the most powerfully defensive of all the great and terrible dinosaurs. From these stalwart beasts he develops a fighting style which wastes as little as possible on moving around, and develops his defensive capabilities to their maximum potential. When an ankylonaut reaches the battlefield, he becomes a true bastion of defence. His enemies shake in fear and tremble as he approaches. As he approaches... Very, very slowly.

Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d12

Class Skills: The ankylonaut’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

The Ankylonaut
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Heavy step, stalwart stance

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Endurance

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Armored carapace +1

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Evolution, stalwart stance

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|Thickskinned +1

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5|Stalwart stance

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|Evolution

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Armored carapace +2

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Stalwart stance

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+7|Diehard

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Evolution, thickskinned +2

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8|Stalwart stance

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+9|Solid as bone

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+9|Armored carapace +3

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Evolution, stalwart stance

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Thickskinned +3

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Stalwart stance

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Evolution, death's defiance
[/table]

All of the following are class features of the ankylonaut.

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: The ankylonaut is proficient with all simple and martial weapons. As well, he is proficient with light, medium and heavy armour.

Heavy Step (Ex): Beginning at 1st level, the ankylonaut’s movement speed (and all future speed increases) is reduced by half, to a minimum of 5 feet. This penalty applies to all forms of movement the ankylonaut can use.

Thus, an elf ankylonaut would begin with a speed of 15 feet, while a dwarf ankylonaut would begin with a speed of 10 feet. If the dwarf later gains the Fast Movement class feature from the barbarian class, his speed would increase by only 5 feet instead of 10.

Stalwart Stance (Ex): At 1st level and every three levels thereafter, an ankylonaut may select an aspect of his stalwart stance. The stalwart stance is a collection of extraordinary bonuses which come into effect if the ankylonaut roots himself to the spot. A stalwart stance may be initiated once per day per aspect selected.

A stalwart stance aspect may be selected more than once, to a maximum of five times each. Stalwart stance aspects stack, and all of them come into effect at once if the ankylonaut takes a full-round action to activate his stance. The stalwart stance ends when the ankylonaut moves, whether of his own volition or not, or after a number of rounds equal to his Wisdom modifier if he does not move. Once the ankylonaut moves, he must take a full-round action to reestablish his stalwart stance. If the stance ended through duration alone, he may immediately reestablish it with another use of his stalwart stance ability (ie. as an immediate action, as soon as the previous use expires).

A stalwart stance ends immediately if the ankylonaut is knocked unconcious, but if between 0 and -9 hit points and concious, he may make a DC 16 Fortitude save to maintain his stance.

The aspects of the stalwart stance which an ankylonaut may select are:

Aspect of the Deadly Strike: The ankylonaut gains +1 on attack rolls.
Aspect of the Awesome Blow: The ankylonaut gains +1 on damage rolls.
Aspect of the Immbile Self: The ankylonaut gains +2 on checks to resist being knocked prone, to be bull-rushed, or any other nonmagical effect which would force the ankylonaut to move against his will.
Aspect of the Untouchable Mind: The ankylonaut gains a +2 bonus on Will saving throws.
Aspect of the Resolute Body: The ankylonaut gains a +2 bonus on Fortitude saving throws.
Aspect of the Graceful Step: The ankylonaut gains a +3 bonus on Reflex saving throws.
Aspect of the Unimpeachable Soul: The ankylonaut gains spell resistance 10. If an ankylonaut chooses this aspect more than once, each subsequent selection adds 4 to the spell resistance.
Aspect of the Tempered Psyche: The ankylonaut gains power resistance 10. If an ankylonaut chooses this aspect more than once, each subsequent selection adds 4 to the power resistance.
Aspect of the Blessed Bulwark: The ankylonaut gains fast healing 2.
Aspect of the Heavy Carapace: The ankylonaut gains damage reduction 2/-.

Endurance: At 2nd level, the ankylonaut receives Endurance as a bonus feat.

Armoured Carapace (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, the ankylonaut knows how to better use his heavy armour. The armour check penalty for any heavy armour he wears is reduced by 1, and the armour bonus it provides increases by 1. At every 6th level thereafter, the armour check penalty continues to decrease, and the AC bonus provided continue to increase, as indicated on the table above.

Evolution: At 4th level and every four levels thereafter, an ankylonaut may select an Evolution for which he qualifies.

Thickskinned (Ex): At 6th level, the ankylonaut's difficult training and endurance begin to show their benefits. His natural armor bonus improves by 1, and he gains Toughness as a bonus feat. He gains these benefits again at 12th level, and once more at 18th level. Each time he gains this bonus, his weight increases by a number of pounds equal to his Constitution modifier.

Endurance: At 11th level, the ankylonaut receives Diehard as a bonus feat.

Solid as Bone (Ex): At 14th level, the ankylonaut may use his Constitution modifier in place of his Dexterity modifier in determining his armor class.

Death's Defiance: (Ex) At 20th level, the defensive powers of the ankylonaut have reached their peak. If he is reduced to -10 hit points or lower while in a stalwart stance, he does not immediately die. He may act normally in this state, but may not leave his stalwart stance. However, every round that he remains standing, he must expend a daily use of his stalwart stance ability as a swift action to avoid dying. This continues until the ankylonaut is either healed above -10 hit points or he runs out of uses of his stalwart stance ability, at which point he dies.

Vadin
2007-08-17, 06:26 PM
This guy seems...really strong, maybe a bit too strong, but I can't place my finger on why.

jindra34
2007-08-17, 06:38 PM
This guy seems...really strong, maybe a bit too strong, but I can't place my finger on why.

its the improvements in steady strike combined with thundering step. those two abilities are two powerful.

Kellus
2007-08-17, 06:52 PM
With his Steady Strike, the ankylonaut can trade his move action for other kinds of actions, since he can't move in his Stalwart Stance. Thundering Step requires a move action. Thus, he can't use his Thundering Step in conjunction with Steady Strike. The best he could manage would be a Thundering Step as well as a single attack in a round.

Also, remember that Thundering Step is a 20th level ability, usable once per day. It should be very strong.

Steady Strike itself is indeed very potent, but for the most part it grants you a haste-like effect when you're not moving. Other kinds of actions can be handy, but bear in mind that the class doesn't provide other actions to use with your new standard and full-round actions. He stands still, and he hits things really hard.

jindra34
2007-08-17, 06:59 PM
With his Steady Strike, the ankylonaut can trade his move action for other kinds of actions, since he can't move in his Stalwart Stance. Thundering Step requires a move action. Thus, he can't use his Thundering Step in conjunction with Steady Strike. The best he could manage would be a Thundering Step as well as a single attack in a round.

Also, remember that Thundering Step is a 20th level ability, usable once per day. It should be very strong.

Steady Strike itself is indeed very potent, but for the most part it grants you a haste-like effect when you're not moving. Other kinds of actions can be handy, but bear in mind that the class doesn't provide other actions to use with your new standard and full-round actions. He stands still, and he hits things really hard.

With steady strike i think it can be abused far too easily... at level 18 it is probably broken... drop that and it is fair... and i would allow some kind of damage reduction on thundering step.

Kellus
2007-08-17, 07:09 PM
Really? What could you do with Steady Strike that would be broken?

I wavered back and forth on the damage aspect of Thundering Step. I think a Reflex save to avoid being knocked prone is fair, but 10d8 sonic damage is not overwhelmingly powerful at that point. At best you're looking at 80 sonic damage, and while it is an unusual element for damage, especially from a melee combattant, it's certainly not broken when you look at some spells that are available by that level. Bottom line is, I wanted an ability that was conclusively ankylonaut, like a signature move if you will.

I'll agree that Steady Strike would be overpowered in something like a gestalt game, when you could combine it with a spellcasting class to take advantage of the extra actions. But in a regular game, you need to be 10th level before you can even get the extra standard action, and most multiclassing is discouraged anyway through Heavy Step. This guy can take an extra second in battle to swig a potion or such in addition to attacking, but he just doesn't have access to the kinds of abilities that would make Steady Strike overpowered.

Fako
2007-08-17, 10:09 PM
I don't think Steady Strike fits for second level, as it is somewhere between the monk's Flurry of Blows and Haste. At low levels, you'll usually (from my experience) be fighting enemies that melee, meaning that you will outshine all other melee classes for at least 4 levels... It just gets obscene with the other upgrades after that.

I'd limit it to a number of times per encounter, similar to the ToB maneuvers.

Also, I'd put level restrictions on some of the Stalwart Stance abilities. Fast Healing is impossible for most players before epic levels, and you can (at current build) have it at level one here. Hit by a trap? "Ok guys, wait there a minute while I heal"... Or damage reduction at level 1? Barbarian is the only base melee class that gets /- reduction, and that's at much higher levels than level one.

However, I like the idea of this class... a slow moving tank. Looks like it could be fun to play. Just be careful with the tools you give with it...

jindra34
2007-08-17, 10:17 PM
Really? What could you do with Steady Strike that would be broken?

I wavered back and forth on the damage aspect of Thundering Step. I think a Reflex save to avoid being knocked prone is fair, but 10d8 sonic damage is not overwhelmingly powerful at that point. At best you're looking at 80 sonic damage, and while it is an unusual element for damage, especially from a melee combattant, it's certainly not broken when you look at some spells that are available by that level. Bottom line is, I wanted an ability that was conclusively ankylonaut, like a signature move if you will.

I'll agree that Steady Strike would be overpowered in something like a gestalt game, when you could combine it with a spellcasting class to take advantage of the extra actions. But in a regular game, you need to be 10th level before you can even get the extra standard action, and most multiclassing is discouraged anyway through Heavy Step. This guy can take an extra second in battle to swig a potion or such in addition to attacking, but he just doesn't have access to the kinds of abilities that would make Steady Strike overpowered.
The only problem i have with steady strike is the level 18 version of it. I have seen characters able to do things like what that gives them but it takes several epic feats to do.

Edit:Also i believe at any time you can convert a standard action into a move action.

Vadin
2007-08-18, 10:08 AM
In a semi-related train of thought, any more of these dino classes planned?
A giant herbovre-type class, perhaps? Maybe a big armored and horned charger?

Kevlimin_Soulaxe
2007-08-19, 12:02 AM
In a semi-related train of thought, any more of these dino classes planned?
A giant herbovre-type class, perhaps? Maybe a big armored and horned charger?

We can only hope.

Kellus
2007-08-19, 12:39 AM
Right now I'm working on a fix for the ankylonaut after the feedback I received (ie. too powerful!) but yes, there are two more dinosaur-themed base classes that I have planned.

knightsaline
2007-08-19, 01:09 AM
When I started reading the description, I thought that this class would be about a person riding an anky. Will there be the mirror of this class, one based on the swift strikes of the Velacoraptor? (goddess, I can't spell it!)

Kellus
2007-08-19, 01:16 AM
My changes are complete! The ankylonaut has lost his additional actions through steady strike, and his stalwart stance is now much more limited. Thundering step as well is no more, but he has some cool new abilities to make up for it. His AC is still high, but he no longer strickly adds his Wisdom to it. Essentially, every 3 levels he gains one of two features to improve his AC, as well as either more hit points or reduce his Armour Check Penalty.

Plus, he's got a new capstone ability, which I think fits the theme much more than thundering step does. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Comments? :smalltongue:

PS: The class you're looking for, knightsaline, is the scaleskulk, which can be accessed through the link at the top of this thread. It's pretty sweet as well.

jindra34
2007-08-19, 09:21 AM
My changes are complete! The ankylonaut has lost his additional actions through steady strike, and his stalwart stance is now much more limited. Thundering step as well is no more, but he has some cool new abilities to make up for it. His AC is still high, but he no longer strickly adds his Wisdom to it. Essentially, every 3 levels he gains one of two features to improve his AC, as well as either more hit points or reduce his Armour Check Penalty.

Plus, he's got a new capstone ability, which I think fits the theme much more than thundering step does. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Comments? :smalltongue:

PS: The class you're looking for, knightsaline, is the scaleskulk, which can be accessed through the link at the top of this thread. It's pretty sweet as well.

I would like to see a partial return of steady strike as only the last part of it was too powerful.

Maldraugedhen
2007-08-19, 10:21 PM
This guy's just about the antithesis of my Bladebounder (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53128) prestige class. I wonder how the two would fare against each other.