(Spell Attack Modifier = 5)

Proficiencies-

. Armour: Light/Medium Armour
. Weapons: Simple Weapons, Martial Ranged
. Tools: None
. Saving Throws: Wisdom, Charisma
. Skills: Arcana, History, Insight, Survival

Languages – Abyssal, Common, Elvish

Backstory – Demonic spirit of a Drowned Forest taken possession of a deceased elf retaining the memories. Morigan’s new physical form bares the body of the elf but the only notable thing that makes her different is the curled horns upon her head. With a new found body and the screams of the damned rolling off her tongue, Morigan hungers to curse creatures for amusement.

Features/Traits –
. Carrying capacity 195 lbs
. Advantage saving throws against being charmed or put to sleep
. Dark Vision (60ft)

Traits – Everything becomes something beautiful, but in the end, fall to decay.
Ideals – This world is nothing but a playground for plague bearers.
Bonds – My original being came to end by being too trustworthy and gullible. I will not make the same mistake again. Those who try to make a close bond with me should drown midst the swarm.
Flaws – I seek to make others decay in the Drowned Forest, not myself…

Invocations

5th Level: Veiled Scourge – Your blade becomes more corrupted. When Scourge is used, add your Wisdom Modifier to the damage it deals.

7th Level: Andel’s Insanity – As a bonus action, you cause a psychic disturbance towards a target that is Marked. When you do so, you deal Psychic damage to the Marked target and each creature of your choice you can see 5ft of the target. The Psychic damage equals to your Wisdom Modifier (Minimum Of 1 Damage). To use this invocation, The Marked target must 30ft of you.

9th Level: Frail Soul – Your Mark becomes more sinister. If the Marked target does an attack roll against you, it also rolls a D6 and subtracts the number rolled from its attack roll.

15th Level: Hollow Body – When struck by a critical attack, you can alter the damage to deal the normal amount instead. This can only be done once and requires a long rest to be used again.

18th Level: Torment – Pull a Greatsword from your body forged from living matter with squirming runes etched into the blade. If you reduce the Marked creatures health to 0 hit points, Mark burrows into a different creature of your choice. When you hit a creature with this weapon, you can expend a spell slot to deal 2 D8’s of Slashing damage per spell level, and you can reduce the creatures speed to 0ft until the end of your next turn.

20th Level: Infestation – Your desires of devouring creatures midst the swarm become unquenched causing frenzy. Morigan starts eating the swarm regaining expended spell slots. The frenzy goes for 1 minute to regain all your expended spell slots. Once you regain spells slots from the frenzy, you must finish a long rest before you can have another frenzy.

Cantrips

Scourge – Conjure a Throwing Dagger that deals 1D4 (piercing).

Seek – Channel to detect any threatening creatures (Fiend, Aberrant, Demon, Fey, Animate, Shadow) around a 120ft area.

Language Index – If an enemy is killed by Curse, their essence is harvested and their known language becomes understandable but you’re unable to speak it. Upon activation, you can only have this effect last for 24 hours. Languages that have been obtained are a onetime use but can be regained by killing a creature of that language.

Starting Spells

(4 Starting spells increase in damage by +1 per character level. For every second character level, Select out of the 4 starter spells to increase use amount by +1).

Hive – Conjure an infested Locust Hive. Projectile AoE (40ft Range) that hits in a 15ft radius of impact. Enemies caught in the impact must make a Constitution Save or take 1 D4 damage per turn for 1 D4 turns. The rolled amount will be dealt at every turn of tick. If an enemy is Marked beforehand, apply an extra 2 turns of tick and a slow (Half Movement).

Mark - Select a target within range (100ft, Unavoidable), dealing 1D4 damage to the target (If the attack roll doesn’t beat the targets armour class, the target is still marked but receives no damage). Her doll takes the shape of the target. If the target is over 100ft away from Morigan, the curse expires.

Swarm - Transform into a swarm of insects for one turn, granting bonus 15ft of movement and the ability to pass through enemies. Passing through an enemy deals 1D4 and grants health of the amount of damage given. The healing can stack up to 4 times (1 Stack per enemy).

Curse – 100ft, if an enemy is marked, Morigan raises her dagger and stabs her doll, dealing 3D6’s of damage. As the action occurs the target will be warned that she is about to strike. Per 3 levels, add an extra D6. The attack is unavoidable but if the Marked target is 50 feet away from Morigan, it must be rolled

Level 1 Spells

Gag Order – Morigan inflicts a curse (60ft) towards a selected target causing them to make a Charisma Saving Throw or take 1 D4 worth of damage and be silenced for 1 minute. If the target was Marked, the target takes D6 instead.

Cull The Weak – Morigan cuts her hand open, casting a slow homing projectile (40ft) that does a D8 of damage. Once it hits the target the projectile crawls into the body and if the target has a remainder of 5 health they are immediately executed. Every 2nd level, progress the base execution damage by +2. If the target was Marked apply an extra +3.

Blood Catalyst – Roll a D6 and depending on the number rolled, Morigan receives temporary bonus health. This effect can also be enhanced by Morigan’s recent physical attack. (Half of the damage is converted to bonus temporary health).

Blood Leech – Blood filled leeches will latch on 2 selected targets restoring 1 D8. The number rolled is dished out over 2 turns (Half of amount restored per turn).

Tether – Bound a single target (The max size is of a large creature) that will remain in the same position until Morigan stops, is disrupted from her Concentration or the target does a Strength Saving Throw. If the enemy was Marked, any creature that attacks them, adds a bonus D4 to their attacks.

Level 2 Spells

Defied Fortune – Morigan chants a demonic being to alter fate to her favour. For 30 seconds, when making an ability check or saving throw, add 1 D4 to your roll. The roll amount increases overtime with levels (Lv.3: D6, Lv.6: D8, Lv.10: D10). Once this ability is used, you need a long rest to use it again. If a Marked target causes Morigan to do a roll of this, use an additional D4.

Mallenk’s Blight – Morigan creates an aura around herself in a 20ft radius which causes enemies movement to be slowed (Half Movement) as well as their attacks (Disadvantage on attacks). If the target is Marked and within the aura, the target is applied blight (Reduces healing by half).

Swarming Guard – Morigan and 2 other targets of her choice are coated in insects which provide +3 armour and recover 2 points of health per turn. This effect lasts for 4 turns.

Hemlinth – Morigan stomps the ground sending a 45ft thorn towards a single target dealing 3 D6’s. If the target is Marked, they must make a Dexterity Saving throw or be knocked down and armour reduced by 1+ Spell Stat Modifier.

Wicked Riposte – Morigan will be surrounded by entities giving a counter effect for 2 turns. If an enemy attacks Morigan in this state, half of the damage dealt will be converted to the attacker. If the attacker was Marked, they will also be attacked by flesh eating locusts (1 D4) for 2 turns.

Level 3 Spells

Combusting Maggots – Morigan conjures exploding maggots (60ft Range) in a 20 foot radius. The maggots explode leaving a nauseating gas which spreads and the area becomes heavily obscured for one minute. Each creature in the cloud must do a constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature spends its time retching, reeling and vomiting. Creatures that don’t need to breathe or are immune to poison succeed saving throws automatically. If the target is Marked, They begin to foam and receive D6 Poison damage for 2 turns on a failed Saving Throw.

Hurl Through Hell – Morigan attempts to banish a single creature (40ft) to a nightmare landscape. Target must make a Wisdom Saving Throw. On a failed Saving Throw, the target is banished. At the end of your next turn, the target returns to the last occupied space. If the target is not a Fiend, Devil, Fey, Undead or Construct, they take 4 D8’s of psychic damage (Increasing the amount of dies rolled by +1 every +3 Character levels) as it reels from the horrific experience. If the target was marked, they become petrified for 3 turns. This cannot be used again until you finish a long rest.

Tendrils – (50ft) Requires concentration. Squirming, ebony tendrils fill a 15ft square for 1 minute turning the area into a difficult terrain. When an enemy target is in the affected area, the target must succeed a Dexterity saving throw or be restrained for the duration of the conjuration. An enemy that starts its turn in the area already restrained by the tendrils take 2 D6’s of Bludgeoning damage. Enemies restrained can use its action to make a Strength or Dexterity Saving Throw. On a pass, the creature is freed. If Morigan uses another spell slot, the radius is increased by 10ft and deals an extra D6.

Nightmare Phantasy – Morigan taps into the mind of a creature you can see within 60ft creating an illusion of the targets deepest fears, visible to only the target. The target must take a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the target becomes frightened for the duration (1 minute) and takes 4 D8’s of psychic damage. If the target was Marked and failed the first saving throw, the nightmare continues and they receives 1 D8 of psychic damage and become petrified for 10 seconds. This spell has no effect on Undead or Constructs.

Stab Blink – Roll a D20 at the end of each turn for the duration of the spell (1 minute). On a roll of 17 or higher, Morigan severs her head and vanishes to the Ethereal Plane. At the end of your turn if you are still in the plane, you return to an unoccupied space of your choice. This spell can be dismissed as an action. While in the plane you can hear and see (60ft) of the plane you originate from. Creatures cannot perceive or interact with you unless they have the ability to do so. As levels increase, roll required is reduced by 1 per 2 character levels.

Level 4 Spells

Consume – Morigan’s body erupts into a monstrous swarm which attack in a 45ft cone. Each creature must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 8 D8’s of damage or half as much on a successful one. If the attacked creature was Marked, they are applied a D6 Bleed proc for 3 turns.

Whispers – Morigan whispers a melody that only one creature of choice can hear within range (80ft), wracking it with agonizing pain. The target must do a Wisdom saving throw of 15. On a failed save, it deals 6 D8’s of Psychic damage and must immediately use its reaction, if available, to move as far away from Morigan as possible (Creature’s Speed). On a successful save, it takes half the damage and doesn’t have to move away. Deafened creatures automatically succeed on saves. If the target was Marked, The whispers burrow into the in further causing the target to go mad and receiving an extra 1 D8 of Psychic damage.

Yggdrasil – Morigan’s inhabited body is seized control by the deceased elf, granting up to 4 allies a fig which, when consumed, restores 4 D10’s of health, dispels all negative effects and granting a bonus D4 die to affected allies attacks (Bonus damage lasts for 1 minute). After this effect, Morigan fades and is out of a battle until the next turn.

Mire – Morigan morphs her hand with insects creating a 10ft toxin inducing blade which deals 2 D10’s of Poison damage, Upon hitting the targeted creature, it must do a Constitution save of 15, If it succeeds the saving throw, the creature takes bludgeoning damage instead. If it fails the save, Morigan infects the target, dealing 1 D4 for 4 turns. If the target is Marked, Morigan can make another attack dealing 2 D8 damage.

Composer99
2017-11-07, 10:02 PM
Sorry, I'm having a real hard time parsing this 'brew. Is Morigan here meant to be an NPC or monster?

Nyukusuza
2018-03-03, 08:01 AM
This is a playable character

Nyukusuza
2018-03-03, 08:08 AM
Sorry I had messed up some of it so it looks like a monster character.

ShadowSandbag
2018-03-03, 10:44 AM
It feels like a lot of abilities and charges for what otherwise seems like a first level character

JNAProductions
2018-03-03, 04:37 PM
This is horribly formatted and unclear, but from what I can gather, it seems pretty damn broken too.

The Nth Doctor
2018-03-03, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure I really understand the context. Is this a character you made for a specific game? Are you basing it off existing homebrew? Are you consulting with a DM to make this?

Anyway, the spells are very overpowered (no rolls, no saves for the most part, they just hit and do things), the spell system makes no sense and is so utterly different then anything else in 5e that I'm not even sure if I understand how it works or where you're drawing from, and the whole brew is thematically all over the place. I'm not trying to be mean, but I would never allow this at my table and any DM worth their salt would do the same.

Really, my advice would be to consult with your DM and go back to the drawing board. I think the backstory could be cool but could easily be reflavored as a warlock to better balance it.

Nyukusuza
2018-03-04, 12:25 AM
It is strong yes but it under review by other dm's (As this brew is a completely new concept). If i could ask, i'd like your input on the spells damage scaling and it use of charges so i can get a general view of where people would consider the spells power as "balanced".

Lalliman
2018-03-04, 03:15 AM
It is strong yes but it under review by other dm's (As this brew is a completely new concept). If i could ask, i'd like your input on the spells damage scaling and it use of charges so i can get a general view of where people would consider the spells power as "balanced".
But compared to what? Other first level characters? Other spells?

It's impossible to appraise properly because the list of "spells" doesn't resemble the 5e system at all. I guess I can give the starting spells a shot and see if my input is useful to you.

(Starting 4 ascend damage (+1) per level as well as charges. (Select +1))
What does this mean, is this damage scaling with level? Spells don't work like that in 5e.

Hive – Conjure an infested Locust Hive. Projectile AoE that hits in a 15ft radius of impact. Enemies caught in the impact are immediately applied a DoT effect for 4 turns. Roll a D4 and the rolled amount will be dealt at every turn of tick. If an enemy is Marked beforehand, apply an extra 2 turns of tick and a slow (Disadvantage on rolls).
(2 Charges)
4d4 guaranteed damage to all targets in a 15 ft radius, albeit spread out over four turns. No range is listed, but I'll assume it's something like 120 ft. On its own I'd rank this as a 2nd level spell.

Mark - Select a target within range (15ft, Unavoidable), dealing 1D4 damage to the target (If the attack roll doesn’t beat the targets armour class, the target is still marked but receives no damage). Her doll takes the shape of the target, marking them as her target wherever they go in the land.
(3 Charges)
This is a weird one. How do you imagine this, visually? Does she shoot some energy projectile at the target? It has to be something like that because there's an attack roll. But the marking still works if you miss, so what's the projectile even for? Why doesn't this work like Hex where you just apply the mark automatically with no extra effect? Anyways, since the only purpose of this seems to be to combo with Hive and Curse, I'll call it a 1st level spell.

Swarm - Transform into a swarm of insects, granting bonus 15ft of movement and the ability to pass through enemies. Passing through an enemy deals 1D4 and grants health of the amount of damage given. The healing can stack up to 4 times.
(1 Stack per enemy, 2 Charges)
Is this for one round or can she stay in swarm form indefinitely? I'll assume the first one. You can easily hit a large amount of enemies with this. If there's four of them, you'll deal 4d4 automatic damage and heal for 4d4. That's like Magic Missile and Cure Wounds combined, with the added benefit of a speed bonus, but the downside that you can't concentrate the damage. I'd call it a 2nd level spell.

Curse – If an enemy is marked, Morigan raises her dagger and stabs her doll, dealing 3D6’s of damage. While Morigan is channelling, the target will be warned that she is about to strike. Per 3 levels, add an extra D6.
(1 Charge)
This is some decent damage that you can deal to your target anytime, anywhere, automatically if you have them marked. It lets you easily assassinate anyone with 10 or so HP as long as you can get within marking range at some point, and people probably won't even know it was you. For combat purposes, it's not that impressive: 3d6 is about the same as a 1st level fighter will do with a greatsword. I'd call it a 2nd level spell. That is, until it starts upgrading at later levels. Later on it will become more like a 3rd level spell.

Conclusion: For a character that seems like it's supposed to be 1st level, her spells are extremely powerful. She can cast the equivalent of three 1st level spells and five 2nd level spells per day. That's somewhere between a 4th and 5th level sorcerer in terms of magical power.

I can't really do anything with the Tier I-IV spells because I don't know what the tier is supposed to mean. If you can explain that, I can look at those as well.

Nyukusuza
2018-03-04, 10:55 AM
I'll quickly answer the tier thing. it was kind of a place holder as i was holding of the spell slot numbers. so it's updated to level 1-4 but i still need to get there slots done and more tweaking.

Nyukusuza
2018-03-04, 11:09 AM
This is a weird one. How do you imagine this, visually? Does she shoot some energy projectile at the target? It has to be something like that because there's an attack roll. But the marking still works if you miss, so what's the projectile even for? Why doesn't this work like Hex where you just apply the mark automatically with no extra effect? Anyways, since the only purpose of this seems to be to combo with Hive and Curse, I'll call it a 1st level spell.

(Ability is not projectile based. how it functions is that the cast projectile comes from the target. Kinda like a fragment of its soul kind of deal. Yes Mark is the bread and butter for all enhanced spell effects)

Is this for one round or can she stay in swarm form indefinitely? I'll assume the first one. You can easily hit a large amount of enemies with this. If there's four of them, you'll deal 4d4 automatic damage and heal for 4d4. That's like Magic Missile and Cure Wounds combined, with the added benefit of a speed bonus, but the downside that you can't concentrate the damage. I'd call it a 2nd level spell.

(Swarm is for one of Morigan's turns)

This is some decent damage that you can deal to your target anytime, anywhere, automatically if you have them marked. It lets you easily assassinate anyone with 10 or so HP as long as you can get within marking range at some point, and people probably won't even know it was you. For combat purposes, it's not that impressive: 3d6 is about the same as a 1st level fighter will do with a greatsword. I'd call it a 2nd level spell. That is, until it starts upgrading at later levels. Later on it will become more like a 3rd level spell.

(Spell is meant to be weak and as you pointed out, would become like a 3rd level spell. Curse is mean to be a finisher as Language index can only be in effect when the unit is killed by Curse.)

(Tier was a placeholder. I'll probably be a bit wrong if i put them 1-4 in spell level but spells seen are averaged in those of the actual 1-4 level spell power but a few a bit greater. If you could maybe point out which spell slot/amount they'd be in so I make it easier to place them correctly since the more answers, the easier the average. :D )