PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Pricing help: Ring of Ultimate Sorcery

Malapterus
2017-11-10, 10:59 AM
So I have this idea for a magic item and I know basically what spells to use but I have no idea what it is worth, or if it's even pushing into Artifact territory.

Ring of Ultimate Sorcery
This ring of purest gold shifts hues at random, scarcely containing the arcane potential within.

The Ring of Ultimate Sorcery allows a spontaneous arcane caster to expend their spells per day to cast spells they do not know.

They may cast any Sorcerer spell of 8th level or lower, by expending a spell per day charge of the appropriate level.

They may cast any other spell of 7th level or lower, by expending a spell per day charge of the appropriate level.

Additionally, they may treat any spell they cast this way as if they had the Arcane Thesis feat for it, even if it is not an arcane spell.

The spell is cast normally and the caster must provide or perform any components as normal.

Creation: Must be created by a Sorcerer who has the Arcane Thesis feat applied to the spell 'Wish'. Requires Craft Ring, Wish.

-------------

So basically it is using the Wish spell's potential, but not power, to cast any spell as described. You still have to use your own spells per day and components and XP as needed, it simply gives you a huge wealth of spells on your list.

It's also only useable by spontaneous arcane casters of the appropriate level to cast the spells they want.

I suppose the value varies based on what supplements the DM is allowing, but I'd like a general price.

Thanks!

ThatOneNinja
2017-11-10, 01:39 PM
I am reasonably sure that this would fall into artifact territory. It single-handedly converts a T2 class into something beyond the easy capabilities of T1 class(wizard), and has arcane thesis applied to everything to boot, which itself as an effect is worth a absurd amount of feats, and artifact worthy on its own.

The only "downside", as a sorcerer with this compared to a wizard, is that you would have a limited selection of 9th level spells, but given your infinite versatility and numerically superior spell slots, you would still utterly destroy any comparable caster.

The best way to tone this down to a purchasable item in my opinion, would be to remove the arcane thesis effect, and to cast any spell with this ring as spell level +1

Even that though, is probably too strong due to the versatility of spells.

Westhart
2017-11-10, 02:42 PM
ThatOneNinja hit the nail on the head, and I personally would never allow this in one of my games. Spells known is suppposed to keep them in line, and saying "oh, you have everything" is... absurd? I mean it'd be one thing if it was a specific spell, such as shards of the pyromancer: The possessor of these spells may convert a spell of equal or higher level into a predetermined spell with the [Fire] descriptor.

Also, saying you are using wish as a guideline is generally bad, as wish and its kin are considered some of the more borked things in D&D :smallconfused:

jqavins
2017-11-10, 03:29 PM
Ring of Ultimate SorceryThe name alone is a hint. "The [item type] of Ultimate [ability]" is usually an artifact.

This ring of purest gold shifts hues at random, scarcely containing the arcane potential within.

The Ring of Ultimate Sorcery allows a spontaneous arcane caster to expend their spells per day to cast spells they do not know.
So...

I am reasonably sure that this would fall into artifact territory.
Yeah, what he said.

There numerous gods that would be very pleased with the benefit of wearing this ring. And that tells you a lot.

Knitifine
2017-11-10, 03:56 PM
I'm going to have to strongly disagree with the other posters. Sorcerers are so far below the bar of wizard power it's not even remotely funny. This magic item is far too powerful, but it's not broken in concept.

I would price it about the same as a weapon, since it's about the same level of importance to allow the sorcerer to like... be a viable option when the wizard exists.

I would start with this, and iterate a little to bring it's power down to where you want it.

Focus of Enhanced Sorcery
This item can take numerous shapes, but serves to enhance the sorcerous power of it's wielder. A sorcerer wielding this focus can cast any sorcerer/wizard cantrip using their first level spells per day. The staff can be made to effect spells of higher level, allowing the sorcerer to cast any spell of the level on the sorcerer/wizard list by expending a spell per day of 1 level higher.

Faint Universal (3rd level or lower), Moderate Universal (6th level or lower), Strong Universal (9th level or lower), CL 2 x (Spell level + 1); Craft Wondrous Item, crafter must be a sorcerer, Price 2,000 gp (0 level), 8,000 gp (1st level), 18,000 gp (2nd level), 32,000 gp (3rd level), 50,000 gp (4th level), 72,000 gp (5th level), 98,000 gp (6th level), 128,000 gp (7th level), 162,000 gp (8th level), 200,000 gp (9th level).

rferries
2017-11-11, 09:06 AM
I'm going to have to strongly disagree with the other posters. Sorcerers are so far below the bar of wizard power it's not even remotely funny. This magic item is far too powerful, but it's not broken in concept.

I would price it about the same as a weapon, since it's about the same level of importance to allow the sorcerer to like... be a viable option when the wizard exists.

I would start with this, and iterate a little to bring it's power down to where you want it.

Focus of Enhanced Sorcery
This item can take numerous shapes, but serves to enhance the sorcerous power of it's wielder. A sorcerer wielding this focus can cast any sorcerer/wizard cantrip using their first level spells per day. The staff can be made to effect spells of higher level, allowing the sorcerer to cast any spell of the level on the sorcerer/wizard list by expending a spell per day of 1 level higher.

Faint Universal (3rd level or lower), Moderate Universal (6th level or lower), Strong Universal (9th level or lower), CL 2 x (Spell level + 1); Craft Wondrous Item, crafter must be a sorcerer, Price 2,000 gp (0 level), 8,000 gp (1st level), 18,000 gp (2nd level), 32,000 gp (3rd level), 50,000 gp (4th level), 72,000 gp (5th level), 98,000 gp (6th level), 128,000 gp (7th level), 162,000 gp (8th level), 200,000 gp (9th level).

As with so many other things in life and gaming, it depends, it depends... this one item does radically increase the power of sorcerers (agreed that they are still inferior to wizards), in a way that almost overwrites the nature of the class.

Definitely an item that should require DM approval, so it might as well be an artifact, by that metric. I quite like your fix though.