PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Back in the Game & Making a Bard

Cluedrew
2017-11-12, 02:16 PM
"Well, there is my Giant in the Playground post. Now I should go and work on my character for the new campaign. I might have to look up some stuff. ... ... Wait a minute."

So yeah, I haven't played D&D in years, and haven't played 5e yet. I don't have the rule books or really know much about the campaign, but some of my friends are starting one and I thought I would throw my hat/character in and see what happens. Actually all I really have are my rolled unarranged stats (9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15) and an unfiled character sheet.

I do have my concept: A [maker of instruments, have not decided what kind] who became a kind of trickster hero. Wise, but indirect, might occasionally speak in riddles and often speaks with a bit of unnecessary poetic flair. Also very much the socialite, I plan to spend as much time making contacts as the party/campaign will allow. Also going to have as many plans as I can make.

Or that is the current image, might adjust it in the first couple of sessions if I have to. Other than that I've been told that optimization isn't an issue (in that the party isn't high powered). I'm using a human bard as my starting point but that about all I know right now. I'm looking any general advice for creating the character, but with a focus on skills and spells because right now I'm not even entirely sure what my options are.

Thanks,

MarkVIIIMarc
2017-11-12, 08:22 PM
Focus on spells go Lore Bard. Magical Secrets kicks butt.

Falcon X
2017-11-13, 01:39 AM
Lore bard if you are sticking to the Players Handbook, but the Glamour Bard from Xanathars Guide is the one built to be the social beast.

Personally, I would take a level of rogue to get even more expertise in skills. Expertise all your social skills (persuasion, intimidation, deception, sense motive) if you are truly trying to max social.

Cantrip choices are hard, as there are so many great choices. I usually take a level of wizard just to get more of them.
Here are some of my favorites:
- Shape Water (elemental evil). It is just so flexible of a spell.
- Guidance. Your party will thank you for this at every skill check.
- Vicious Mockery. The go-to bard damage spell.
- Minor illusion. Because illusions always rock.

lunaticfringe
2017-11-13, 02:47 AM
Faerie Fire is a solid spell. Sleep is as well but you probably want to retrain it at higher levels, which is often overlooked.

Healing Word is another great spell. It doesn't heal very much but it has range & you cast it as a Bonus Action so it's great for getting a downed ally back on their feet.

Are those your stats before Racial Modifiers? Are you Human or Variant Human? (Variants get a Feat)

EvilAnagram
2017-11-13, 09:17 AM
The Bard guide in my signature is designed for your exact situation.

If you're a human Bard at level 1, I would take Tasha's Hideous Laughter and Vicious Mockery, then play around with your other options. Going Standard Human might be worthwhile if you don't want to get to deep in the weeds, as your stat spread would benefit from it.

The stats you care about are Charisma, Dexterity, and Constitution, in that order. Otherwise, go nuts and maybe read my guide.

Cluedrew
2017-11-16, 05:55 PM
Sorry, for the delay, this week hit me like a train carrying cement trucks.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into those spells and the guide.

To lunaticfringe: Before racial modifiers.

sithlordnergal
2017-11-16, 08:08 PM
So, I would suggest going:

Lore Bard: X / Sorcerer: 1

Sorcerer will net you 4 cantrips that key off your charisma, which is important because then you don't have to split your casting mods between Intelligence and Charisma. You can use those cantrips to grab some ranged and melee attack cantrips, which the Bard sorely lacks. Don't get me wrong, Vicious Mockery is amazing. It is also useless if you fight something with a super high wisdom Save. As a general rule, you always want to have some attacks that require saving throws and some that require an attack roll.

Next go Lore Bard for the Expertise, extra skills, and Magical Secrets. You can use Expertise to double your proficency bonus on any of your social skills. Plus Magical Secrets will give you a nice pair of spells from any class. And if you take sorcerer you won't need a cantrip

Cluedrew
2017-11-17, 07:14 AM
Is there a particular time I have to take the sorcerer level or can I save it for when I want to pump a bit more magic into the character? I like the idea actually, but about 3/4 of the party are already magic users, so I also want to try and play up the skill monkey and socialite parts of the class. Not that a level of sorcerer would stop that and I might do both, but it is something that occurred to me while reflecting on this suggestion.

opaopajr
2017-11-17, 07:48 AM
I'd go Guild Artisan background so you can focus on making and selling your instruments. :smallsmile:

You also have four odd stats, which makes regular human a solid choice. :smallwink:

Cluedrew
2017-11-17, 08:15 AM
Guild Artisan definitely fits. Speaking of stats though I've been thinking about dropping constitution to 4th (11|12) instead of 3rd (13|14) so I can put wisdom a bit higher. I feel the character should have higher wisdom for "true to concept" reasons and just accepting the... one hit point per level if it works the way I vaguely remember it working in an earlier edition. Is that all I really lose with constitution and is there anything I can do to build off a higher wisdom score.

EvilAnagram
2017-11-17, 08:29 AM
Guild Artisan definitely fits. Speaking of stats though I've been thinking about dropping constitution to 4th (11|12) instead of 3rd (13|14) so I can put wisdom a bit higher. I feel the character should have higher wisdom for "true to concept" reasons and just accepting the... one hit point per level if it works the way I vaguely remember it working in an earlier edition. Is that all I really lose with constitution and is there anything I can do to build off a higher wisdom score.

Concentration saves are based on Constitution, and strengthening them is frequently a tactic of classes with lots of concentration spells, such as Bards.

KnotaGuru
2017-11-17, 08:50 AM
Stick with single-classed bard. Bard is a solid class and there's no reason to muddy it up with multiclassing your first go at 5e. Regular human works, so does halfelf, which would give you 16 cha, 16 dex, 14 con, darkvision, extra skills, resist charm, immune to sleep. Vicious mockery, faerie fire, healing word are great spell choices. Fill in the other cantrips as needed (light if human or no one else has it, mending to repair broken instruments, mage hand to make life easy, minor illusion and prestidigitation for fun). Go lore bard at 3 and have fun shutting your DM down ;) with cutting words. Get extra skills and spells too.

Citan
2017-11-17, 03:00 PM
Is there a particular time I have to take the sorcerer level or can I save it for when I want to pump a bit more magic into the character? I like the idea actually, but about 3/4 of the party are already magic users, so I also want to try and play up the skill monkey and socialite parts of the class. Not that a level of sorcerer would stop that and I might do both, but it is something that occurred to me while reflecting on this suggestion.
Take it as your first level. ;)
At least if you are still set up to that multiclass.
It's honestly very good, because you can use it to learn at least one offensive cantrip beyond Vicious Mockery and then expand your "trickster set" by leaps, or just gang up on offensive cantrips...

With that said, going pure Lore Bard is perfectly fine too. So if you are a bit awkward about integrating the fluff from Sorcerer, look away without regrets.

From what you said in your OP, I'd personally advise the following in fact...
1. Sorcerer.
- neither Draconic - because I feel your character concept wouldn't fit that much with having body covered in scales- if instead you find it an interesting aspect to cover go for it.
- nor Wild Magic - being a trickster that subtlely manipulates people does not work well with magic surging around every turn. XD
If allowed I'd definitely pick Favored Soul Sorcerer: don't have the new book so I don't know exactly how different from UA it is, but it seems you can still pick Cleric spells: Sanctuary and Bless are in order.
2>7 Lore Bard: grab all "vocal-related" spells: Dissonant Whispers, Silence, Shatter, ??? as well as Enhance Ability (enhance anyone, with yourself for social), Healing Words and Lesser Restoration. Pick Counterspell as Magic Secrets. Do whatever you want with the others.

For cantrips: Shocking Grasp and Firebolt to cover melee/ranged offense, then Minor Illusion, Vicious Mockery, Message, and either Mage Hand or Prestidigitation or whatever else...

Once you got that high, ponder about where to go next.
More Bard? Better spells and Bardic Inspiration.
More Sorcerer? Your magic fellow will soon outshine you in terms of pure spellcasting, but you can completely get into character concept by grabbing Subtle metamagic, as well as Extend which works wonders with some Cleric spells such as Aid, or some Bard spells. That way you can really manipulate from the shadows (Suggestion, Hold Person, Sleep, etc).

Since you seem not that interested in high-level magic, I have the feeling you may enjoy much more such a "pure-half" caster. ;)

opaopajr
2017-11-17, 07:49 PM
Thematically, I'd choose your two starting Cantrips to be Mending and Minor Illusion. Mending is obvious for musical instruments will be your stock in trade. And Minor Illusion for sound illusions, useful for striking a starting key pitch, supporting etude as you or a customer plays, or even disembodied applause. Yes, it is not martially focused, but not everything has to be.

As for the choice of what gets the 16? Depends. I can see arguments for everything from CHA, DEX, and even WIS builds. Mercifully you'd have a 15 and a 14 if you went basic human, so that could cover any MAD (multiple attribute dependency) ambitions you have. A +2 versus a +3 is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be (most situations are not White Room Arena fights).

Personally, I think you should play up the wise, charming, yet reticent merchant angle. Go WIS 16, CHA 15, DEX 14 (then you can favor CON 12 for the extra HP). Guild Artisan background gives you Insight & Persuasion. You'll need Performance regardless; you deal in instruments! That'd leave two of your Bard's 3 skills open.

It's never a bad idea to carry a sling if you have functioning DEX. It's the only form of ranged bludgeon. :smallsmile:

As for spells, you can't go wrong with Faerie Fire as party support. Blanket 20' cube DEX save, otherwise any attacks at it are at Advantage and doesn't benefit from invisible for a full minute. Then you should run and hide and let your allies finish 'em off! :smallbiggrin:

That said, I'd prefer a more indirect touch to coincide with this PC's demeanor.

Unseen Servant seems obvious to me. But so does Comprehend Languages. As does Identify (esp. enchanted musical instruments). However space is at a premium, so maybe choose one over the other, not all? :smallfrown: Sadness! (I'd personally pick two, possibly all three!)

Sleep is a great spell, still. Longstrider gives more Speed for your frontline melee to move about, lasts an hour, and is not Concentration. Speak with Animals is also another potential encounter solver -- and most food costs far less than risking death.

Since you'd still have DEX +2 you'll always have defense, initiative, and weapon threat, so I wouldn't worry too much about highly aggressive spells. You have a far more open build window than you'd otherwise think. Ending the encounter beyond violence is still ending the encounter (and ideally worth *some* XP). Get more done in the other two game columns: Exploration and Social.
:smallcool:

Cluedrew
2017-11-17, 08:12 PM
To EvilAnagram: Hurk. Well I don't think I need to be that optimized given what I know about the party and hence the level of play of the game. Yet I know the balance of front-liners to support in the party, and it suggests I might have to deal with getting attacked. Huu... I want a high wisdom score but it is easier to adjust my power down later (through inefficient use if necessary)

To KnotaGuru & Citan: I'm getting a lot of thematic out of the bardic part of my character and since pure-bard works, I think I will start with that. I will reflect on half-elf and the spell suggestions

To opaopajr: I forgot to hit post, I saw your post but I haven't read it yet.