PDA

View Full Version : Halfling rock thrower idea with XGtE?

mgshamster
2017-11-13, 11:51 AM
What do you think would be a good way to build a rock thrower? Anything in the new book to help out? How's that new arcane archer work with this idea? Or maybe the college of swords?

(I left my book at home).

PeteNutButter
2017-11-13, 11:58 AM
I also left my book at home, but I think magic stone was extended to more classes. Arcane archer seems exclusive to arrows so, bows only if I recall.

Ironically, the swords bard can “flourish” with any weapon attack. Rock flourish.

The ranger options all work with any attacks as well.

nickl_2000
2017-11-13, 12:00 PM
What do you think would be a good way to build a rock thrower? Anything in the new book to help out? How's that new arcane archer work with this idea? Or maybe the college of swords?

(I left my book at home).

You would definitely need the Druid/Warlock spell Magic Stone to have a 60ft range and do 1d6+casting mod attack and damage. You could do that with anything and magic initiate, or you could dip one of those classes. It's still a struggle though otherwise, could you sneak attack and use Rogue Scout or Swashbuckler? Or would be considered a thrown weapon and not allow sneak attacks?

Arcane Archer only works with long/shortbows, so that wouldn't do the trick. I don't think College of Swords would either because I think it only works with melee weapons.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-13, 12:04 PM
Little has changed. Throwing rocks still sucks.

If you can convince your DM to let you use a sling (ranged weapon) to throw rocks imbued with Magic Stone (ranged spell attack) to qualify for sneak attack, you can get some extra range and damage and attack with wisdom instead of dexterity, which is interesting. Three rocks should be enough for most combats.

nickl_2000
2017-11-13, 12:07 PM
If you can convince your DM to let you use a sling (ranged weapon) to throw rocks imbued with Magic Stone (ranged spell attack).

That should be pretty easy to do since the spell says "You or someone else can make a ranged spell attack by throwing it or hurling it with a sling" :smallsmile:

Easy_Lee
2017-11-13, 12:11 PM
That should be pretty easy to do since the spell says "You or someone else can make a ranged spell attack by throwing it or hurling it with a sling" :smallsmile:

Edited the post - I left off the Sneak attack part. Sneak attack says, "Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an Attack if you have advantage on the Attack roll. The Attack must use a Finesse or a ranged weapon." A sling is technically a ranged weapon, so you'd be using a ranged weapon to make a spell attack with a rock. It's iffy, but not broken by any means so you might get away with it.

Ghostwise Halfling would be good for it.

mgshamster
2017-11-13, 12:14 PM
If a rock is considered a melee weapon with the thrown property, would the paladin smite work with it?

nickl_2000
2017-11-13, 12:16 PM
If a rock is considered a melee weapon with the thrown property, would the paladin smite work with it?

I think that ends up being a gist of it all that comes down to DM approval. Is it considered a weapon, are you making a weapon attack or a ranged spell attack. Can you sneak, paladin smite, or warlock smite with it? I don't think there is an easy answer according to the book.

I would probably allow a sling to sneak attack or a thrown to smite, but that is by no means official.

mgshamster
2017-11-13, 12:24 PM
Fairly certain this DM would let me do it, so long as I wrote up how it works with concept and backstory.

Rules-wise, he's totally flexible - he just wants an awesome story to come with it. He also encourages reflavoring abilities.

Based on that, I was also thinking of making Eldritch Blast look like rocks being thrown. If he lets me do this, what would be a good build for a dip in warlock (or magic initiate)?

nickl_2000
2017-11-13, 12:28 PM
I swear, pretty much anything can dip into warlock and get help from it, if you have the stats.

The best ones? Valor Bard would be good for the 2 attacks and magic secrets, Shadow Sorcerer would be pretty cool for a dark feel, Paladin for a smiting.

Easy_Lee
2017-11-13, 12:31 PM
Fairly certain this DM would let me do it, so long as I wrote up how it works with concept and backstory.

Rules-wise, he's totally flexible - he just wants an awesome story to come with it. He also encourages reflavoring abilities.

Based on that, I was also thinking of making Eldritch Blast look like rocks being thrown. If he lets me do this, what would be a good build for a dip in warlock (or magic initiate)?

If that works for you, warlock EB fluffed as thrown rocks is the way to go, I think.