PDA

View Full Version : Food

2007-08-18, 12:18 PM
Should I buy groceries or fast food?

I'm torn and hugry and can't make desicions for myself!

FdL
2007-08-18, 12:24 PM
Groceries. Buy yourself some nice meat and vegetables. Chicken maybe. And make yourself something simple but nourishing.

There you go. Random advice from a fellow forumite solves your decision-taking problems. ^^

Serpentine
2007-08-18, 12:27 PM
Go buy meat (if you have access, I recommend kangaroo), fish, vegies, fruit, snackables, dairy stuffs, pasta, various ingredients. Cheaper, tastier, more fun (to cook) and more nutritious than (almost all) fast food.
Now, get!

FdL
2007-08-18, 12:35 PM
Hmmmm...Now I want to eat kangaroo :p What is it like, Serpentine?

Morty
2007-08-18, 12:39 PM
Groceries. 'Nuff said. They're both healthier and tastier than fast food.

2007-08-18, 12:42 PM
But I'm hungry noooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww

Dragonrider
2007-08-18, 12:43 PM
Well either way you gotta get out and buy them :smalltongue: Might as well take the better and healthier option. GO! SCOOT!

Nomrom
2007-08-18, 12:47 PM
If you're hungry now, just do what I do. While at the grocery, buy some sort of microwavable dinner. Some of them are actually pretty good, and they cook up fast.

Brickwall
2007-08-18, 12:53 PM
Get fast food. Darwinian evolution does not stand for inability to decide for oneself.

GO NOW! So you can get a heart attack before you produce any indecisive spawn! Clog thy arteries with the most foul thing to pollute this corner of the universe!

I'm kidding. Buy groceries. And, here's a hint: lots of markets will have places for you to pick up food to eat now. Plus free samples. Not all of them, but look carefully.
Oh, and don't get kangaroo meat. It's just wrong to eat anything that sticks its young back "down under" (yes, that was an Australia pun). Chicken and turkey are normally some of the best options.

Now, I am going to eat a banana, which I got at the grocery store. Hopefully I didn't get to full at McDonald's.

Uhh...I mean...none of you heard that. *flee*

Scorpina
2007-08-18, 01:27 PM
Groceries > Fast Food.

Of course, being a vegetarian I'm somewhat biased, since most fastfood places don't offer much that I'm actually going to eat. Dastards.

blackout
2007-08-18, 01:33 PM
Groceries. Go for microwaveable dinners, something with cheese, unless your lactose intolerant.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-08-18, 01:40 PM
Groceries. You may be hungry NOW, but the groceries will last you much longer, and you can pick up plenty of things that are quick to make for when you get back.

Gaelbert
2007-08-18, 04:50 PM
While it is a bad idea to shop for groceries while hungry, its better than eating fast food. If you have any food at all, like an apple or a salad, snack on one of those and then go grocery shopping. It works for me.

2007-08-18, 05:17 PM
Get fast food. Darwinian evolution does not stand for inability to decide for oneself.

GO NOW! So you can get a heart attack before you produce any indecisive spawn!

I already have a daughter.

Scorpina
2007-08-18, 05:33 PM
...is she decisive, though?

The Clown
2007-08-18, 08:14 PM
1. Buy chopped beef and broccoli and onion
2. Place oil in pan
3. Put pan on stove
4. Turn on burner under pan
5. Add beef to pan
6. Chop onion and broccoli
7. Add chopped vegitables
8. When meat is brown and veggies are soft it is done
9. Turn off burner
10. Let cool
11. EAT!!

Brickwall
2007-08-18, 08:28 PM
...is she decisive, though?

Here's a test. Ask her. If she's not sure, then she must be neutered. :smallbiggrin:

Scorpina
2007-08-18, 08:33 PM
Here's a test. Ask her. If she's not sure, then she must be neutered. :smallbiggrin:

Surely you mean spayed?

Brickwall
2007-08-18, 08:34 PM
Surely you mean spayed?

Either works. Though spaying might be more humane. But whatever. :smallbiggrin:

Scorpina
2007-08-18, 08:37 PM
I'm not entirely sure how you'd neuter a female.

...and now I'm going to stop thinking about it, before it damages my poor fragile mind.

Brickwall
2007-08-18, 09:02 PM
Remember that device in the Human Horn episode of Futurama? Imagine something like that, only worse.

tannish2
2007-08-18, 09:06 PM
well if your kid is indecisive then wait until your really old, then travel back in time and figure out exactly when the child was conceived, then run into the room naked screaming about the robot army that the child will create (who knows, it could even be true) and if your mate is not desicive go back further and give their parents some gene therapy to make them have some sort of decisive gene, also do the same for yours, and then everything will be ok... actually that would fix the original problem of you being indecisive so the time travel+sex-stopping/killing would be unnessicary...

anyway, if you have a good sandwich shop then that works if they have something healthyISH... groceries are bad to shop for while hungry, i would still go with time travel though, and why not invent google and windows while your screwing with time travel making yourself a billionaire with a personal chef? you always have to consider the alternatives!

Cyrano
2007-08-18, 09:43 PM
Don't but groceries while you're hungry. Don't buy fast food either. I suggest either eating any pets or family members you have around, or digging up nutritious tubers and mushrooms in your local forest. THEN try harder not to get yourself into this despicable state of affairs.

Portent
2007-08-18, 09:53 PM
My mother used to follow my grandfather on hunting trips in Australia (I'm twenty-two now, so this was obviously back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), and she remarked that kangaroo meat always tasted rather tough and dry.

Go to the grocery store and get some bananas and peaches. Actually, if you can, go to those "fruit-stands on the side of the highway." I bought some peaches from a fruit vendor in the Middle of Nowhere, Ohio, and they were the best freaking peaches I've had in my life. I swear, those things redefined the very idea of what a peach should be. I have yet to meet a paradigm-shifting banana, though.

You could always make a sandwich. Get a block of mozzarella cheese, some wheat bread, and sliced turkey ham. Assemble a sandwich, throw it in the microwave for two minutes, and bam, you have my favorite snack.

Or buy some honey and have some bread-with-honey. I was always eating that when I was studying for exams.

Speaking of honey, can anyone tell the difference between "real" honey and that clover stuff? My mother claims that the clover stuff tastes awful, but I can never tell by the taste.

Brickwall
2007-08-18, 10:08 PM
Speaking of honey, can anyone tell the difference between "real" honey and that clover stuff? My mother claims that the clover stuff tastes awful, but I can never tell by the taste.

If you can't tell, it doesn't matter. That's my philosophy.

Cyrano
2007-08-18, 10:10 PM
Almonds?
Cyanide soaked packing peanuts?
I can't tell, let's have both!

Brickwall
2007-08-18, 10:21 PM
Mmmm...cyanogenic...:smallsmile:

Cruxador
2007-08-18, 10:24 PM
If you can't tell, it doesn't matter. That's my philosophy.

Only if it costs the same. :smalltongue:

Actually, though, they're both real honey. The difference is in what sort of flower nectar the bees use when they make it (seriously!). Clover nectar is made from clover nectar. if it doesn't say, it's probably the nectar of whatever grows well where you live. The difference in taste is non-existent subtle.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-08-18, 10:39 PM
besides being able to pick out healthier food/food you really want to eat, it's much, much cheaper in the long run. I myself can get almost two weeks worth of food in groceries for around $50.

Portent
2007-08-18, 10:45 PM
And thus, I've been enlightened on the honey/clover situation! Thanks much!

That reminds me, suddenly, of a spread I haven't used in a while. Jelly. Bah, now I want bread and jelly. Curse this thread!

Cruxador
2007-08-18, 10:57 PM
besides being able to pick out healthier food/food you really want to eat, it's much, much cheaper in the long run. I myself can get almost two weeks worth of food in groceries for around $50.

O.o you don't eat very much, do you?

Extra_Crispy
2007-08-19, 12:02 AM
Groceries! Like everyone else said it is healthier and cheaper in the long run.

A couple of weeks ago I got into an arguement with a friend about fast food vs gorcery. He east almost nothing but fast food (and has put on like 80 lbs in the past couple of years) and when I was getting out some steak to BBQ for me and my roommates, he said "I wish I could afford steak" So I rounded on him and said "You can, lets see you just bought fast food for how much? about $8?. Well these 3 steaks came in a package of 6 steaks for like $10 or less (they were cheap streaks, but good), the 8lb package of potatoes was like $5 (more or less) and the package of peas was a couple bucks, say 2 (large package, only used half). OK so that is 5 for the steaks, 1 for the peas, lets just say 1 for all 3 potatoes I am using. So that is $7, I will round just to be safe and say $10, to feed 3 people and you spent close to $8 just for yourself."
Plus I BBQ'd the steaks to my liking. Dont think he got it because he still eats LOTS of fast food. While I have almost completely stopped eating it. (Pizza or the fast Mexican food, cant live without those)

Brickwall
2007-08-19, 12:03 AM

I'm sure he eats two small meals a day just like everyone else.

Wait, everyone doesn't do that? That might explain why I can count my ribs. Huh.

Cruxador
2007-08-19, 12:12 AM
I can count my ribs and I eat about four or five big meals most days (avg. like 12oz of meat 125% of as much rice or other fiber-high stuff)

EDIT: I have twenty of them, I just counted :smalltongue:

black wagner
2007-09-15, 11:39 AM
Groceries are only good if you can cook. Prepackaged microwavable meals are really not much better than fast food (although there are some exceptions).
However, if one can cook, a nice Salmon, grilled in an lemon-pepper herb rub, served with a brown rice/mushroom pilaf, with a hint of rosemary would be a wonderful meal at any time.
Mmmmmmmm.
Now, back to my Zingers.

Tempest Fennac
2007-09-16, 01:51 PM
Regarding what kangaroo tastes like, it tastes like steak (I tried it a couple of weeks back at a restaurant, and it was nice, but is was also expensive). By the way, I've always used the word "neuter" to describe what happens to both males and females (I think this it more of a British thing).

Vuzzmop
2007-09-16, 02:59 PM
I don't eat kangaroo, but only because it would give auzzies an excuse to eat kiwi. (We know you want to).

eidreff
2007-09-16, 05:23 PM
Peanut Butter (crunchy lumpy kind) melted on toasted bread....mmmmmm drooool.

got to grocery store, buy bread, toaster, peanut butter.

return home

plug in toaster

insert bread

when toasted remove bread from toaster and spread with peanut butter

eat enjoy

wipe melted peanut butter from beard

repeat.

Trog
2007-09-17, 02:40 AM
Get both. Go get fast food to fill you up then go grocery shopping. Best not to shop on an empty stomach anyways...all you get is snacks then, usually.

Serpentine
2007-09-17, 03:24 AM
I don't eat kangaroo, but only because it would give auzzies an excuse to eat kiwi. (We know you want to).
Now you've done gone and given Goff ideas.

Skippy
2007-09-17, 09:57 AM
Get groceries. They're cheaper, even if you need a bit more of time to prepare your food. Besides, it is indeed healthier.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-09-17, 03:10 PM

Actually if you're smart about things, you'd be surprised at how much you get get at the grocery for $50. I went to the store a few days ago, and got a pound each of pork, chicken, everything needed to make stuffed bell peppers, a box of chicken helper, Shake 'n' Bake, two packages of frozen veggies, bread, peanut butter, garlic, onions, a few cans of soup, frozen pizza/dinner and a few other things for around $45. The key to it all is that when I make anything, it's enough for two meals worth of food, so I get two for the price of one. It's the best way possible to get groceries and eat when you're on a budget.