PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Butler Challenge?

carrdrivesyou
2017-11-17, 08:03 AM
So myself and another player have been toying with the idea of bringing in a pair of characters for a new game. And we agreed that we should have a shared backstory. I thought it would be a cool idea for him to play some sort of noble, and I have been in his family's service for years. Kinda like a medieval Alfred to Bruce Wayne type thing. That having been said though, how would you go about making the perfect butler by RAW?

Unoriginal
2017-11-17, 08:15 AM
So myself and another player have been toying with the idea of bringing in a pair of characters for a new game. And we agreed that we should have a shared backstory. I thought it would be a cool idea for him to play some sort of noble, and I have been in his family's service for years. Kinda like a medieval Alfred to Bruce Wayne type thing. That having been said though, how would you go about making the perfect butler by RAW?

High charisma is a must. Either Rogue or Bard I think. Proficiency in Cooking tool at minimum.

What species were you and your friend thinking of selecting?

X3r4ph
2017-11-17, 08:29 AM
Mastermind Rogue 3 with the Historian skill feat is a good start.

carrdrivesyou
2017-11-17, 08:29 AM
He was thinking of going with Variant Human (He almost always does), and I was thinking High Elf or Half Elf.

EDIT: I think he was planning a paladin or a fighter. He normally sticks to melee classes. As for me, I was thinking Rogue or wizard. I think that a wizard for a butler would make an interesting choice. Possibly a mystic.

nickl_2000
2017-11-17, 08:37 AM
I guess it will depend on what you consider to be a good butler. My personal opinion is a butler is one who helps out the master at all costs. He dresses him, cleans him, and assists him in all situations. So, here is my take on it.

VHuman Mastermind Rogue

Skill Profs: Insight, Persuasion, Intimidation, Perception, Slight of Hand, Stealth
Background would be Courtier from SCAG. That gives you prof in insight and Persuasion (both valuable skills for a butler), and the court functionary is a perfect ribbon ability for a butler. The other skill make sense to me. Intimidation (a butler keeps the scum away from the master), Perception (he has to know everything going on in the household), Slight of Hand (can slip something out of sight from a guest without them noticing), and stalth (a butler must be able to get around the house without disturbing the master).

I actually am going for more of a snootish butler. So, super high charisma isn't as important since they feel that they/their master is better than everyone else. However, it is higher than average since they would need to be able to lead a staff. Their Dex is high because they need it high to be a viable class. They are extremely wise and observant (a butler has to be to make sure that you are perfectly dressed each day and the household is presented correctly).

Mastermind was my class choice since mechanically in battle they are all about helping others (since they can use the help action from a distance). Their master of intrigue gives them the ability to fit into any situation and assist the master in dress for the correct situation.

The feat will be Magic Initiate
-Cleric for Spare the Dying, Guidance, and Bless. A good butler can patch up the master to keep them alive and let them heal naturally. They boost up the master and others with guidance and bless is pretty much the definition of assisting other.
-Bard (trade Cha and Wisdom stats) for Prestidigitation (keeps the master's clothing clean), Viscous Mockery, and Unseen Servant
-Druid for Guidance, Mending, and Goodberry

What do you think?

QuintonBeck
2017-11-17, 08:53 AM
I really like Mastermind Rogue and feel it fits the butler criteria very well but I can't help but think a Monk would make a neat class to have as a butler. Way of the Open Hand and just go around knocking fools down for your master to follow up on with a coup de gras. Then you can also always be unarmed and "not a threat" which I feel fits the idea, though there's nothing stopping you from grabbing Tavern Brawler for some unarmed combat ability on a Rogue chassis.

Socratov
2017-11-17, 09:00 AM
The Qualities of a good Butler:

I'd say high charisma, int/wis somewhere 14-ish and some dex. A good butler always keeps his wits about him, never stresses and always keeps his poise. Politeness (imo high cha) is what makes a good butler, a great butler.

The Epitome of Class:

Of course he is going to be a lore bard. Now before you dismiss me, public speaking is an art onto itself. From telling stories to the young lord to keeping the so-called journalists happy with a few smattering of stuff everyone should already know. also the negotiation of prices and intimidation of footmen and chambermaids is necessary to keep the estate functioning properly. On top of that, it is you sacred privilege to act as council to, care for and support his lordship in his endeavours. If his lordship would endeavour a career of the military type as his personal gentleman you'd do best to praise his tactical genius and subtly improve on his less then genius ideas.

Of course the greatest butler can only be a Lore bard.

Culinary skills

Well, cooking is an important skill, as are the spells prestidigitation and mending, perhaps those will require some studying with a gentleman who could act as a teacher. Leave the big game to the master to hunt. A couple of daggers is all you need and all you will ever use. Should push come to shove, a stern talking to will oversee any enemy attempts at uncouth behaviour and any followup plans of being ruffians. (i.e. get vicious mockery)

As for skills:

Well obvious you should always be there, although unnoticed. So stealth is obviously a must. History is what you are to uphold, so history is good to have as well. Furthermore, being in the wild does not mean that one cannot enjoy a decent yet filling meal so nature and survival are both imperative. Last but not least persuasion and intimidation are a given, one can suppose.

Supporting one's master.

So, his lordship has taken it upon himself to do the right thing and slay he monster, save the world and all that rubbish. A quick word of inspiration might go a long way. Securing the monster for his lordship to deal with by encasing it in an illusion or in abjurative magic will go a lot further and should the enemy not be liable to his lordship's efforts, then a quick word or two should solve that problem (cutting words). Afterwards a soothing restorative will prove invaluable. I will refer you to some trade secrets (prayer of healing) that will restore the vim and vigour to his lordship and any allies he may choose for his entourage.

Tl;dr - lore bard, pump charisma, get decent int and wis, pick the skills stealth, knowledge history, knowledge nature, survival, persuasion and intimidation, get vicious mockery, mending and prestidigitation and pick support and battlefield/single target control spells. use cutting words to force save-or-sucks on the enemy and you are doing well.

Unoriginal
2017-11-17, 09:09 AM
Definitively need at least Cooking kit proficiency, and maybe other tool proficiencies. The Xanathar's Guide to Everything has a good list of butler-y thing you can do with tools, from making shoes more comfortable or cooking a comforting meal to handling maps so your employer doesn't have to worry about it.

Maybe an Healer's kit, if you want to do the "butler take care of master's wound" thing like Alfred with Batman.

carrdrivesyou
2017-11-17, 09:27 AM
Hmmm...all good points. Perhaps a combination of these can be done? Something like Rogue 3, Bard X???

Joe the Rat
2017-11-17, 09:33 AM
The Qualities of a good Butler:

I'd say high charisma, int/wis somewhere 14-ish and some dex. A good butler always keeps his wits about him, never stresses and always keeps his poise. Politeness (imo high cha) is what makes a good butler, a great butler.

I think you've got the general idea, but I'd flip Wisdom over Charisma. Unflappability, quick eye for detail, and readily anticipating the Lord-or-Ladyship's needs are more of a Wisdom function. Poise and leadership of the household would benefit well from Charisma.

That said, many of the traits and requirements could be covered with proficiency or expertise in various skills.

Lore Bard has some good points to it, particularly as they are very much a support class. But a part of me sees this as a bit flashy. I'd still prefer Mastermind Rogue, but mixing in some Lore (or Whisper) bard has some potential.

nickl_2000
2017-11-17, 09:35 AM
Hmmm...all good points. Perhaps a combination of these can be done? Something like Rogue 3, Bard X???

Mastermind Rogue/Bard is a very good combination. You get ALL the bonus actions (well not all of them, but so many choices it's silly) and you are a major skill monkey. If you are doing Rogue 3/Bard X, then don't go with Magic Initiate (unless you desperately need something that the rest of the party doesn't provide). Drop the VHuman and go with Half-Elf instead to get even more skills and use the stat array of

8 str
16 dex
12 con
10 int
12 wis
17 cha

For Bard, Lore would be good, but also check out whispers and glamour as well. The temp HP from glamour is flat out amazing at lower tiers.

Beechgnome
2017-11-17, 01:13 PM
I'm going to go off the beaten path here and select Drunken Master monk.

First, monks get a tool proficiency and DM monks get brewer's tools, so you can get cook & brewer and take a background to give you a third artisan choice like weavers, so you can darn socks and the like.

Performance is also useful should you need to clean up your act and appear hoity toity as required.

Drunken technique will also let the butler quickly come to the aid of his master, disengaging from whoever else they are fighting.

It's not quite the uptight servant you are looking for, but if a Kato style servant is more your thing it could work.

Droodicus
2017-11-17, 01:25 PM
Kensai monk and wield a quarter staff refluffed as a walking cane or folded umbrella. Anyone who's read prattchett knows what the aunts can do with a parrot headed umbrella.

Throne12
2017-11-17, 01:53 PM
I'm going to say div wizard 2 lore bard 18.

X3r4ph
2017-11-17, 02:09 PM
I'm going to go off the beaten path here and select Drunken Master monk.

First, monks get a tool proficiency and DM monks get brewer's tools, so you can get cook & brewer and take a background to give you a third artisan choice like weavers, so you can darn socks and the like.

Performance is also useful should you need to clean up your act and appear hoity toity as required.

Drunken technique will also let the butler quickly come to the aid of his master, disengaging from whoever else they are fighting.

It's not quite the uptight servant you are looking for, but if a Kato style servant is more your thing it could work.

It would also work for The Noble. Always drunk. Truing to start fights. And the Butler keeps at his side to discouraging him with no success. But his Mastermind tricks makes it easier to pick up his master''s hat and cane when he throws them around.

"Oh dear master Wayne, don't you think you have had enough to drink? Ow, haymaker twelve o clock sir. Duck to your left sir. Go for the family jewels sir. Very good sir."

Easy_Lee
2017-11-17, 05:11 PM
Butler is a supportive job. You're there to make your client's life easier and ensure he or she is successful. I play a "butler" to my ranger teammate by playing a grassland druid, the ideal support for a ranger. I take it a step further by spending most of my time in her backpack so my inferior movement does not stop me from remaining at her side.

There's no way to identify the perfect butler without first identifying the client. But Lore Bard is always a good support option. Alternatively, play a support-oriented coffeelock for eternal, sleepless butlering.

UrielAwakened
2017-11-17, 05:21 PM
In a D&D setting it makes zero sense for the perfect Butler to not also be a supreme bodyguard.

Think less Alfred to Batman, more Butler to Artemis Fowl.

Avigor
2017-11-17, 06:59 PM
I'm surprised this thread has gone this long without a single reference to Black Butler... Sebastian is always fun. "I'm just one hell of a butler."

What would it take for a PC to be the patron of a Bladelock, or otherwise acquire ownership of the pact after it was made? Then, use your master's family silverware as your Pact Blade...