PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #325 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2006-06-19, 04:48 AM
New comic is up.

Fale
2006-06-19, 04:52 AM
Another fantasic comic. Loved the last line by Roy.

Lefty_X
2006-06-19, 04:52 AM
1st Post WOOT!

And while I'm at it, yeah what's with DM's thinking that fighting another of the same type of creature soon after the first battle is bad? Make them up a little different, use different tactics, add class levels, etc.

Well, I was the first.

kaairn
2006-06-19, 04:53 AM
Nice one giant :D at least I know I'm not the only fool to have chopped off a hydra's heads just to see them regenerate ;)

HabbakukUnknown
2006-06-19, 04:56 AM
"gee, the oracle must be whispering to me from afar"

I love that line, the simple sarcasm that i imagine in his voice is hilarious

thank you giant...

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-06-19, 04:56 AM
that's my party aaaaaaaall over

Piedmon_Sama
2006-06-19, 04:57 AM
FIRST PAGE AWWW YEAH.

btw, haven't read the comic yet.

Big_Red_Bird
2006-06-19, 04:57 AM
This is why I'm afraid to send hydras against my players...
My first time on the first page!

Jacen
2006-06-19, 05:00 AM
This is why I'm afraid to send hydras against my players...
My first time on the first page!

Usually players try be as fast as possible. Unless XP is given from each head =).

teekc
2006-06-19, 05:00 AM
have to register to get this first page!!!!

your random update just makes me visit this site more. and i am not complaning.

ScreamerSimon
2006-06-19, 05:02 AM
Is the number of a hydra's heads limited by something like "only two on the original neck"? Or is every head replaced by two new ignoring of the number it already has? I wonder if a DM can manage a 87 headed monster's attack rolls ;D

Roll for initiative....

Njerus_Xhazekarath
2006-06-19, 05:03 AM
;)Nice one

Pelziges_Ohr
This hydra is going to have many heads... and maybe a forced intrusion ;D

KayJay
Thanks for the strip :)
... Now to read it :)

Edit: Ah, Belkar... The question is if V will let the Hydra eat him up next strip or not :)

Stepanov
2006-06-19, 05:12 AM
Great comic, good line at the end ;D

OmegaDonut
2006-06-19, 05:13 AM
I like Belkar's simple, effective, and yet utterly humorous method of shutting V up. :)

tyr
2006-06-19, 05:22 AM
I love that little pause where they all ponder this new development.

efi
2006-06-19, 05:25 AM
*schlurkt!* ==> *pop* *pop*

Hey that's funny. I wonder how many heads the hydra can get before it has the shape of a hedgehog-like sphere...

The Glyphstone
2006-06-19, 05:28 AM
AWESOME. Hydras are one of my all-time favorite monsters, ranked only after beholders. Great comic.

Oh, and second page for one! Plus, I read the comic first!

Hotspur
2006-06-19, 05:29 AM
I *knew* there was a reason my new dog got me up early. House training, my foot! It sniffed out a strip of hydra-y goodness.

Now for the doggy treat so it will do it again...

celticdeltic
2006-06-19, 05:34 AM
Very good comic.

battleburn
2006-06-19, 05:36 AM
That was cool!!!
;D loved this one.

The best jokes come when both Elan and Belkar are enjoying them selves.

2nd page!!

Arkadian
2006-06-19, 05:39 AM
oye...that comic gives me the willies...not from the hydra..but from the last group i played with...nuthin but poster children for ADD without a prescription for ridalin. talk about not getting anything done...thankfully i got the sense to leave that group.

remirat
2006-06-19, 05:47 AM
AD&D ;D ;D ;D great one!
w00t! first post!
OH YEA! 2nd page!!

Yorkiebar
2006-06-19, 05:47 AM
Nice comic as always, I particularly liked Belkar's simple dismissal of V.

Gentlemaniac
2006-06-19, 05:50 AM
Great comic.

I was actually talking to a girl once about RPGs, and I mentioned AD&D; she managed to get me wrong and for a moment she thought I was talking about ADD. I'm just glad I got to clarify...

Oh, and I love the "we already foughta chimare once, lad" line. Hooray for DMs who are thoughtful enough to give their players some variety...

Premier
2006-06-19, 05:52 AM
What can I say?

That was SO FRIGGING COOL! ;D

gregory_carslaw
2006-06-19, 05:53 AM
The look on the hydras faces in panel 7 is great.

I wonder if you do that enough times does the hydra collapse under it's own weight? I mean it's STR doesn't increase and each head weighs something so they'd end up dragging on the floor.

Hey if you did it even more would it eventually end up as a ball of heads such that it's legs couldn't touch the floor? Then you could roll it ahead of you through dungeons to set of traps and crush your foes.

Kriel
2006-06-19, 06:07 AM
First off, YES, SECOND PAGE, a personal best for me! And now I must say that I believe that Vaarsuvius owes the tables of the world a big apology, 'cause this hydra is going to be most unpleasant to fight.

Delgarde
2006-06-19, 06:09 AM
Is the number of a hydra's heads limited by something like "only two on the original neck"? Or is every head replaced by two new ignoring of the number it already has? I wonder if a DM can manage a 87 headed monster's attack rolls

Yeah, there's a limit - if I remember right, it's limited to never having more than twice the original number of heads, or something like that.

Delgarde
2006-06-19, 06:13 AM
Oh, and I love the "we already foughta chimare once, lad" line. Hooray for DMs who are thoughtful enough to give their players some variety...

Of course, the other way to do it is to throw the same monster at the players for a few times, then give them a variant of the same - e.g one with quite a few class levels, or with some non-standard abilities that aren't in the manual. Just when they think they know how to deal with a standard creature, they find they don't know everything afterall... :)

bosssmiley
2006-06-19, 06:24 AM
Poor hydra! I really doubt the poor thing was expecting Elan and Belkar when it signed up for this 'Test of the Body' gig.

Priceless expression on its face ;D

Glorfindel
2006-06-19, 06:26 AM
Attention Deficit Disorder ;D

Great comic again!

Carrion_Humanoid
2006-06-19, 06:28 AM
Again, awsome comic, "THAT WAS SO FRIGGIN COOL!"

team56th
2006-06-19, 06:28 AM
Attention deficit disorder pwned all of us. THAT WAS FRIGGIN' COOL Rich.

KayJay
2006-06-19, 06:29 AM
Something I just noticed on the reread- Why exactly do Roy and Durkon not remember what the challenges were last time?? Seems very suspicious to me, like the Oracle wiped their memories or something.

Let the speculation begin! ;D

Lydia
2006-06-19, 06:30 AM
Wow! new comic already!

"do it again!
do it again!" ;)

It's awesome.

Minor quibble: It looks like Roy's speech bubble in the 3rd panel is missing an arrow cone thing.

The memory thing could just be a way to stop people from "cheating" without having to change the tasks.

alanbahr
2006-06-19, 06:49 AM
Great Comic Giant..

I love the sarcastic look on Roy's face...totallly worth checkin the site at 4.50 in the morning for!

Ronald_saveloy
2006-06-19, 06:51 AM
Great comic.

I was actually talking to a girl once about RPGs, and I mentioned AD&D; she managed to get me wrong and for a moment she thought I was talking about ADD. I'm just glad I got to clarify...

Can somebody please explain to me, what ADD stands for? ???

Anyway, that's the way to please a Powergamer.
DM to Belkar's Player: Ya happy!
BP: Smiling all over his face!

Murky_Pool
2006-06-19, 06:55 AM
Attention Deficit Disorder, look at what Roy says in the last panel.

SITB
2006-06-19, 06:58 AM
Will it count as defeating the encounter if Belkar makes the Hydra sprout so many heads that the Hydra heart fails?

orcmonk89
2006-06-19, 07:10 AM
LOL. Great comic, it just shows how cool Hyrda's are. ;D

I laughed out loud twice at the same gag! Brilliant.

orcmonk89
2006-06-19, 07:11 AM
Oh, and ADnD is Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

TreesOfDeath
2006-06-19, 07:12 AM
I knew the mind wipe thing was coming, I mean if they rembered the challanges why didn't they tell everyone about them in detail? And how could they forget something so important.
Last 2 panels=instant win

Ronald_saveloy
2006-06-19, 07:25 AM
@murky pool

Thank's! I found a translation and now it's clear: It's specific psychological pathologic condition. The german expression is:
Aufmerksamkeitsdefizitsyndrom (ADS)

TarSheva
2006-06-19, 07:33 AM
LOLOL!

Do it again!
Do it again!

I really love the "ADD/AD&D Gang" They are soooo my gaming group!

Thanks Giant, for starting my Monday off with a huge smile!

Alexb83
2006-06-19, 07:40 AM
Great comic! Got to love ADD...

Okay, so it's a 5-headed Hydra, which is the weakest - and they only go up to 12 heads, don't they? Belkar has to take off 1/5 of its total HP to lop off a head, which would be 11 HP per head (55 total)... not bad damage at all for a halfling using daggers

Also, in order to lop those heads off doesn't that intimate that Belkar has the Sunder or Improved Sunder feats? (he has to have one or the other to take a head off)

Pheldagriff
2006-06-19, 07:49 AM
Great comic! Got to love ADD...

Okay, so it's a 5-headed Hydra, which is the weakest - and they only go up to 12 heads, don't they? Belkar has to take off 1/5 of its total HP to lop off a head, which would be 11 HP per head (55 total)... not bad damage at all for a halfling using daggers

Also, in order to lop those heads off doesn't that intimate that Belkar has the Sunder or Improved Sunder feats? (he has to have one or the other to take a head off)

you know that the giant breaks the rules of the game when it serves the plot?

RebelRogue
2006-06-19, 07:50 AM

I always imagined those daggers being medium sized (effectively the same as small short swords), I guess... Still nice damage. As for Sunder, anyone can perform the maneuver, but without the Improved Sunder Feat (there's no such thing as a Sunder Feat), he'll provoke attacks of opportunity (and since a hydra has one of these for each head, that could mean a lot of AoOs!)

Anyway: nice strip, Giant :)

WNxArrakis
2006-06-19, 07:51 AM
Attention deficit disorder.. omg lol.. gotta share that one with friends..

Arrakis

Nyax
2006-06-19, 07:59 AM
New comic is up.

I totally failed my check against laughing out loud at work!

Do it again!
Do it again!

gotta love elan! ;D

rcuhljr
2006-06-19, 08:04 AM
Are there DnD groups that aren't med distribution centers for ritalin? I know mine are all this... er 'creative'.

"Did you just drink the scrying pool?"

The Vorpal Tribble
2006-06-19, 08:18 AM
*guffaws*

These comics of late have been pure gold ;D

battleburn
2006-06-19, 08:20 AM
If the forgetfullness isn't caused by the oracle on purpose then I guess the side effects the mouth (#324) mentioned have just kicked in.

GypsyThorn
2006-06-19, 08:21 AM
have to register to get this first page!!!!

your random update just makes me visit this site more. and i am not complaning.

Moose turd pie.

Blaznak
2006-06-19, 08:22 AM
Worse day to be a Hydra..... EVER!

VERY funny stuff!

Later...

Sebastian
2006-06-19, 08:34 AM
I think that don't remembeing the test is another joke. They don't remember them because they never really did them. They happened out-of-game it was just a part of the background of Roy and Durkon and then they had n never been specified.

kradman
2006-06-19, 08:41 AM
hehe A.D.D... hehehe.. FUNNY... not the only group.. ah the good ol' times.

battleburn
2006-06-19, 08:41 AM
I think that don't remembeing the test is another joke. They don't remember them because they never really did them. They happened out-of-game it was just a part of the background of Roy and Durkon and then they had n never been specified.

They have been mentioned in 'on the origins'

Eladrinstar
2006-06-19, 08:48 AM
Grea strip Giant. I kinda like this new schedule.

"Gee, it must be the Oracle whispering to me from afar."

Runolfr
2006-06-19, 09:01 AM
Was leaving the pointer toward Roy off of his speech balloons in panel 3 intentional?

Korta
2006-06-19, 09:07 AM
What a brilliant comic!!! Thank you!!!

;D

Swashbuckler
2006-06-19, 09:10 AM
Another continuance in the LOL-able comics!! ;D

"Do it again! Do it again!"

Hehehehe!

Alexb83
2006-06-19, 09:11 AM
you know that the giant breaks the rules of the game when it serves the plot?

Oh, I know, but he's also seemed quite forward about stating alignments and stats when people have 'deduced' them from the gags, really bugged him about them (as with Belkar being CE), or when they've been stated outright. Since the characters often quote game mechanics, it seems only logical that they actually follow them :-)

Belkar didn't seem to provoke attacks (although the Hydra heads did have their mouths open as if they were biting at him). Also... do daggers do slashing or just piercing damage?

Sebastian
2006-06-19, 09:26 AM

Exactly. "mentioned", but where they ever show doing them?

What happened is something like the GM saying "OK, your adventure start with you entering the city of ... to search adventurers that help you to defeat Xykon after the oracle told you where to find him". the test happened out-of-game and were never specified what exactly they were.

It is like a character that put in his background "I served in the army for three years"
"And what was your officer's name?"
"uh.."
"The name of some of the soldiers that served with you"
"err.."
"In which city did you get you training"
"well, at moment is escaping me"

etc. :)

charik
2006-06-19, 09:33 AM
Mentioned, yes, but everything in that book is "background story" that the players would have written for their characters when the group first started playing. None of it was stuff they actually would have played out around the table.

As for the comic, I loved Elan's reactions best.

And most surprising about this thread, "First Post!" Award went to someone who had read the comic before posting. :o Has that ever happened before? ::)

And now, a spoiler:Hydra heads can be prevented from growing back by burning the stump, right? So imagine this conversation - R: 'V, what did I tell you about exploding other party members!' V: 'But Sir Greenhilt, the only way to prevent additional heads from regenerating when one has been cut off is to apply flame to the neck as soon as the old head has been removed. It is hardly my fault the diminuative cretin was still there when my fireball hit the hydra!' ;D

Neopolis
2006-06-19, 09:57 AM
Best comic evar!

Anyway, nice update... It made some good points too, with the repetitive monsters and stuff. :-/

battleburn
2006-06-19, 09:59 AM
Especially because Roy and Durkon did that part together it is something they should have played. It is good to get the feeling of the character if everyone has done some sole roleplaying with de GM before the group comes together. To get the feel and to make last minute changes possible if something doesn't really works out. After the group comes together it's too late to change the character sheet. (Not everyone is Red Mage; nuklearpower.com)

GeekDaddy
2006-06-19, 10:17 AM
LOL! That was the funniest one I'vee seen in a while.

Anyone else remember the comic strip Mister Boffo? Talk about two people "Not quite clear on the concept..."

Then again, I can see me doing this in a real game just to frustrate the DM. Elan is so much like a character I used to have. Just make him a wild mage (under 2E rules) instead of a Bard and there you have it.

molonel
2006-06-19, 10:17 AM
The comic feels like it's starting to move forward while still having humor. It's like that moment when a train builds forward momentum, and all the cars make that crash-crash-crash-crash sound as tension pulls out the loose spaces between them.

Hurlbut
2006-06-19, 10:24 AM
*Snip* Charik
And now, a spoiler:Hydra heads can be prevented from growing back by burning the stump, right? So imagine this conversation - R: 'V, what did I tell you about exploding other party members!' V: 'But Sir Greenhilt, the only way to prevent additional heads from regenerating when one has been cut off is to apply flame to the neck as soon as the old head has been removed. It is hardly my fault the diminuative cretin was still there when my fireball hit the hydra!'
*Snip*

Oh now that's good. :D

Ego Slayer
2006-06-19, 10:25 AM
Roy's last lines were hilliarious! Awesome comic. ^_^

Madmal
2006-06-19, 10:29 AM
Wonderfull! now bet whos gonna be eaten next!

ps.- woohoo! fifth page!

TroyXavier
2006-06-19, 10:32 AM
Mmm, this is feeling like the early days where humor was the rule and serious storylines the side. This one was really funny and Elan and Belkar were perfect.

Shea Landford
2006-06-19, 10:32 AM
Fifth Page!!!! Excellent comic, that is all I can say.

Dudukain
2006-06-19, 10:40 AM
That is insanely awesome. This is one of many recent strips that made me laugh out loud.

mneme
2006-06-19, 10:41 AM
Belkar got initiative (as shown by him getting to attack first), so the Hydra didn't get to make attacks of opportunity on his Sunder -- it was still flat-footed!

Presumably, Belkar has taken Magical Beast as a Favored Enemy, along with Humans and Orcs -- he certainly encounters enough of them! Assuming all his attacks hit (and that he's an 10th level Ranger), he'd do 5 * 1d3 + 2(favored enemy) + magic + strength bonus, which is certainly enough to take off a head with a series of attacks (note that the favored enemy bonus could be as high as +6 depending on where he's put his two favored enemy boosts).

Agreed that the reason they don't remember exactly what the last set of Oracle tests are is that they didn't actually go through them; they're just backstory!

The Glitter Ninja
2006-06-19, 10:43 AM
Bahahahahaha... oh man, if this doesn't conjure up some memories of partying with a "special" group of adventurers, nothing will. Great stuff.

warmachine
2006-06-19, 11:01 AM
If Belkar and Elan merely find the hydra funny, then it's too weak to hit them. So the party could walk right past it. Unless the monster's purpose is to follow them around and be annoyingly unkillable. If so, that'd be evil.

Vaynor
2006-06-19, 11:04 AM
Gah, the worst thing about that is, my party did almost the exact same thing once...

They tried to see if they could manage to cut off all it's heads in one round, then do it again, and again, and again...

LordVader
2006-06-19, 11:06 AM
They won't find it funny when it starts attacking them w/ like 50 heads. Unless V can whip out the tentacles of forced intrusion, it's gonna be a long fight for poor Roy.

Solara
2006-06-19, 11:11 AM
Heh, Elan and Belkar are always great together. (Thinking back to #38 here...one of my favorites.)

Same for V and Belkar, though V seems to bring out the evil in him, while with Elan it's just the chaotic.

I guess they're going to be disappointed when the hydra gets to the maximum number of heads?

FIRST PAGE AWWW YEAH.

btw, haven't read the comic yet.

Grr! Don't DO THAT! Really, you'd think the Giant's complained about this enough times that people would start getting the hint...

Were-Sandwich
2006-06-19, 11:13 AM
I think belkar's got the best chance to take down the hydra, as he can dual-wield a torch in his off hand to burn the stumps, although a fireball could do that as well.

New idea. Roy goes in, sunders one head, uses great cleave to do the same to as many heads as possible, then V hits 'em with a fireball or burning hands or something.

sugarmouse121
2006-06-19, 11:13 AM
Heh heh...

"Do it again!
Do it again!"
;D

Bookman
2006-06-19, 11:15 AM
haha That's crazy! I forget how hydra's are defeated........I'm almost POSITIVE that isn't it though :D

LordVader
2006-06-19, 11:20 AM
I think belkar's got the best chance to take down the hydra, as he can dual-wield a torch in his off hand to burn the stumps, although a fireball could do that as well.

New idea. Roy goes in, sunders one head, uses great cleave to do the same to as many heads as possible, then V hits 'em with a fireball or burning hands or something.
Like Belkar's going to listen to V or Roy long enough for that to happen? ::)Please, let's think this through. Belkar has the cranial capacity of a rat. HE ISN"T GOING TO LISTEN!!! *hack*cough* ok i'm done now. I think V and his/her spells are their only chance for survival here.:) Oh yeah, and about the ppl who just try to make the first page w/o looking at the comic- I hate that too.

storybookknight
2006-06-19, 11:25 AM
Should be an interesting fight.

Has Roy taken Improved Sunder? If not, this fight could be a long one.

Alternately, we could go to the next test and have the hydra be a 1-off joke.

Regardless... I have played with the ADD group before. I feel Roy's pain.

LordVader
2006-06-19, 11:30 AM
About the people saying that they never too the tests- 1. How would they find Xylon and 2. Won't it be in On the Origins of PC'S? Anyways, I hope Belkar *accidentaly* gets hit by one of V's spells. Finish him off once and for all! Go V!!!

Schattendrache
2006-06-19, 11:43 AM
I always imagined those daggers being medium sized (effectively the same as small short swords), I guess...

Hate to say it, RR, but the very first comic.... http://giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=1

A 5 headed hydra? That's a mere CR 4.

Owlbears are CR 4.

They can afford to play with it. ;D

LordVader
2006-06-19, 11:51 AM
Hate to say it, RR, but the very first comic.... http://giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=1

A 5 headed hydra? That's a mere CR 4.

Owlbears are CR 4.

They can afford to play with it. ;D
Soon to be a *ten* headed hydra. Belkar's in for it if they make it out of this scrape anytime soon.

gallow
2006-06-19, 12:06 PM
I love random updates !

"And now I'm gonna try two at a time!"
:D
The scary part is I know people who would do _just_ that. Not in D&D, but in real life. (If they were ever to encounter a hydra, that is.)

geez3r
2006-06-19, 12:23 PM
OOTS is so friggin' cool! Giant, you are so awesome.

DwaggieBard
2006-06-19, 12:24 PM
I like the sound effect for belkar's daggers.

In D&D, the hydra's heads just come back when you chop them off, not multiply.

It's funnier this way, though.

Furin_Mirado
2006-06-19, 12:25 PM
I'm going to laugh so hard if the hydra attacks and breathes fire or ice. Now who's a CR 4?! ;D

DwaggieBard
2006-06-19, 12:26 PM
I'm going to laugh so hard if the hydra attacks and breathes fire or ice. Now who's a CR 4?! ;D

I think it's at least a CR 7 even before the fire or ice.

It had 5 heads, which is the max.

Melnor
2006-06-19, 01:02 PM
Haha, great comic, Giant!
This reminds me of my one friend who we were trying to get to play D&D, and he was saying how the game is essentially flawed because the player always knows more than the avatar. Naturally, we directed him to this comic :-)

Holy_Knight
2006-06-19, 01:09 PM
Nice one. My favorite line is definitely Belkar's: "Blah blah blah I'm a boring stupid elf blah. Not listening!!" :D

Krytha
2006-06-19, 01:39 PM
hahaha Roy rocks.

Zypher_X
2006-06-19, 02:06 PM
http://d20srd.org/srd/monsters/hydra.htm

walkeronthehorizon
2006-06-19, 02:21 PM
Great comic AD&D

Otterella
2006-06-19, 02:23 PM
Alternately, we could go to the next test and have the hydra be a 1-off joke.

The chimera was a 5-strip battle, and the dragon a 6-strip battle. I doubt the hydra will be a 1-strip battle. At least, I hope not.

Edit: Oh, and am I the only one who gets the impression that Elan doesn't even realize that Belkar is evil?

battleburn
2006-06-19, 02:24 PM
since this one is green, at least he won't breathe fire or ice.
And Elan mast have improved sunder to not get 4 attacks of opportunity. and even more after the first head gets chopped of

RebelRogue
2006-06-19, 02:37 PM
Also... do daggers do slashing or just piercing damage?
They may do either. You make the choice!

Belkar got initiative (as shown by him getting to attack first), so the Hydra didn't get to make attacks of opportunity on his Sunder -- it was still flat-footed!
Hydras all have the Combat Reflexes Feat, thus allowing them to perform AoOs even while flat-footed.

Krytha
2006-06-19, 02:52 PM
Hydras all have the Combat Reflexes Feat, thus allowing them to perform AoOs even while flat-footed.

So this means that if the Giant follows these particular rules, Belkar is in for a world of hurt?

Do iiittttt

DragoonStar47
2006-06-19, 02:59 PM
Great comic! ;D

roguemomof7
2006-06-19, 03:02 PM
;D Had to post on this one!!! I've got at LEAST one ADD at home playing d&d and I so empathize with Roy --- he's in for it now!

I have this comic to thank for getting back into playing the game after 20 years or more away, and I just have to say that I'm finding all those years telling kids what to do is making being a DM more fun than ever. The best part is that now as an experienced grown-up, I don't feel bound to limit what my monsters do or what my poor characters encounter based on the "rules"! While the stats on the hydra have all the info and details anyone could want, I'd be inclined to ignore it completely if my group started doing what Belkar and Elan are. So go Giant! No telling what will happen next, and that's what makes this comic great. Looking forward to the next one (sometime this week I hope) with anticipation.

The_Kobold_Hero
2006-06-19, 03:25 PM
This just reminded me of how awesome hydras are! ;D

Schattendrache
2006-06-19, 03:30 PM
Soon to be a *ten* headed hydra. Belkar's in for it if they make it out of this scrape anytime soon.

That doesn't increase its CR -- the doubling heads are factored into its CR as a standard ability.

In D&D, the hydra's heads just come back when you chop them off, not multiply.

As the SRD link shows, they do double. They always have -- that's the power of a Hydra. It gets MORE dangerous the more you hurt it. And is, of course, the favorite monster of choice to stick in front of your vorpal-sword wielding juggernaut....

Okay, starts breathing fire or ice -- CR 6. Still nothing for a party of the level and numbers of OOTS to worry about.

I think it's at least a CR 7 even before the fire or ice.

It had 5 heads, which is the max.

Nope -- 5 head Hydra, CR 4. 5 head Pyrohydra or Cryohydra, CR 6. And 5 heads is the weakest one -- you can start with up to 12, which would make a max of two dozen heads. And even that is CR 11, or CR 13 for pyro/cryo.

since this one is green, at least he won't breathe fire or ice.

Not an argument I would rely on, since the basic hydra is supposed to be brown, not green. I wouldn't put it past the Giant to make it breathe acid, or chlorine gas....

Mostly, though, I'd count on a bending of the rules in order to have a terribly funny outcome instead of a strictly accurate combat resolution. Like cutting someone unharmed out of an Owlbear after being swallowed whole.

A few such potential ends have been mentioned, which I agree with, but won't respecify since I'd consider them slightly spoilerish. ^_^

M._A._Foxfire
2006-06-19, 03:35 PM
Classic, just classic. ;D

Elan's misplaced cheerfulness, Belkar mocking V, Roy's reaction...

A_Gray_Phantom
2006-06-19, 03:44 PM
Of course Belkar has improved sunder!

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=42

He also has improved grapple. What can be more frightening than a little demon crawling all around you, getting into places you never knew you had :o?

This reminds me of a CE kobold minstrel I'm currently playing in an extraplanar campaign. I've had a hard time convincing everyone that I'm evil, though:
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1147682044 ;start=0
"Chaotic pleasant" is what they coined me as >:(. So I started collecting the heads of my enemies. And you know, with a whirling blade spell, that's pretty easy. (I would go nuts on a hydra!!) Collection so far:

One lich queen head (I must admit, I didn't administer the final blow)
Six githyanki heads (the fools all lined up in front of me...)
The head of a barbazu
And now I"m killing large-sized creatures. I've got a trophy from a slaad and from a wyvern (but I won't tell you what ;)).

pquekadl
2006-06-19, 03:50 PM
Absolutely hilarious comic.

Otterella
2006-06-19, 04:08 PM
Of course Belkar has improved sunder!

I thought for sure you were referring to this one:

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=17

Haggis_McCrablice
2006-06-19, 04:28 PM
Hmmmmm...multiple heads...but (presumably) only one stomach and one rectum. Would it be possible to make a hydra gorge itself to death, if you had enough food available? And by food, I mean expendable troops. ;D

Ing
2006-06-19, 04:35 PM
Oh, I know, but he's also seemed quite forward about stating alignments and stats when people have 'deduced' them from the gags, really bugged him about them (as with Belkar being CE), or when they've been stated outright. Since the characters often quote game mechanics, it seems only logical that they actually follow them :-)

Belkar didn't seem to provoke attacks (although the Hydra heads did have their mouths open as if they were biting at him). Also... do daggers do slashing or just piercing damage?

any deviation from the rules is probably
a) for plot aka the real reason
b) house rules of their campaign aka the reason that satisfies mechanics maniacs

can't the hydra grow back as many heads as it takes but only keeps twice its original...the others die after a day? eitherway it sucks to be the OoTs....

Felinoid
2006-06-19, 04:36 PM
Edit: Oh, and am I the only one who gets the impression that Elan doesn't even realize that Belkar is evil?
Elan doesn't realize a lot of things. ;)

Great comic, and a wonderful welcome home from my working weekend. I have to admit that if I saw that in real life I'd have the same reaction as Belkar or Elan. I mean, really, it's amazing enough that a newt will grow its tail back eventually, but to see a head (the most complicated area of the body) grow back instantaneously, or TWO where there was only one, is just "FRIGGIN' COOL!" :D

Pesi
2006-06-19, 04:44 PM
Every time I read the strip, I notice some funny I missed earlier.

#2: The look on the severed head.

#3: "Oooooooo! Ahhhhhh!" (In a way, reminds me of George of the Jungle)

Evik
2006-06-19, 05:10 PM
That was cool! Do it again! LOL
heh
I wonder if it is possible to give a Hydra so many heads that it cant function properly and just collapses in a pile of heads to heavy for its body and neck to support.
any one have any ideas about that?

Varian7
2006-06-19, 05:11 PM
I love the look on Haley's face when Elan says "Do it again! Do it again!".

battleburn
2006-06-19, 05:16 PM
That was cool! Do it again! LOL
heh
I wonder if it is possible to give a Hydra so many heads that it cant function properly and just collapses in a pile of heads to heavy for its body and neck to support.
any one have any ideas about that?

It has been discussed just a page away, try to read something before you post:

Follow this link and you see that the Hydra's have a max of twice it's original heads. After a day the extra just fall of.

maputo
2006-06-19, 05:24 PM
I've had characters that would do the same thing.

Doug_Lampert
2006-06-19, 05:42 PM
About the people saying that they never too the tests- 1. How would they find Xylon and 2. Won't it be in On the Origins of PC'S? Anyways, I hope Belkar *accidentaly* gets hit by one of V's spells. Finish him off once and for all! Go V!!!They just reference having gotten the information from an Oracle, no tests were shown nor was the oracle, hence the actual tests aren't in the character's backstory, just that they were told by an oracle to go to a particular dungeon to find Xylon.

The players don't know everything about what happened to their character's prior to the start of the campaign.

Doug_Lampert
2006-06-19, 05:43 PM
haha That's crazy! I forget how hydra's are defeated........I'm almost POSITIVE that isn't it though :D
The easiest way to kill a Hydra is to ignore the fact that you can attack the heads separately and just attack the body. The head severing is a red herring, it's almost never a better idea than just killing the thing.

Shara_Littlebottom
2006-06-19, 05:54 PM
Although if you had a Keen Flaming Burst weapon you'd be in business to attack the heads; the Fast Healing (10 +) of the body isn't pleasant either....

BlythraB
2006-06-19, 06:04 PM
wow, once again Elan shows his inredible stupidity and Belkar enjoys it.
verrrrrrrrrry nice comic

humanpylon
2006-06-19, 06:09 PM
Interesting that all hydra's now have the head growing back thing. In the first two editions it was only learnean (not sure on spelling) hydra that could regenerate. And to kill the body without going after the heads you had to take out all it's hitpoints in one round.

Lucid_Gizmo
2006-06-19, 07:14 PM
Yeah, the learnean (Cyro) hydra...nasty little beasty... I have never used them in my games, my players would probably get snuffed. :) Great comic giant

Kefka
2006-06-19, 07:30 PM
The funniest part of that comic is the fact that I had a bunch of 13th level players actually do that to a hydra. They chopped off its heads until it had about 30, and then a wizard cast mass invisibility. Then the horde of Yaun-ti warriors that had been chaseing the players in the first place ran into the room and the hydra and the Yuan-ti killed each other. Great moments in D&D history......

Aerysil1
2006-06-19, 10:01 PM
Wasn't expecting that :)

Fun with a hydra!

CelestialStick
2006-06-19, 10:17 PM
New comic is up.

I enjoyed the fact that Belkar could insult V without resort to potty mouth. Other than demonstrating the Belkar could formulate insults better than potty-mouth without needing a V-size intellect, however, the strip didn't do much for me.

Ivellios
2006-06-19, 11:16 PM
Anyone want to tell me how Belkar can cut all the way through a hydra's neck with a tiny knife like that? And for that matter, how is he going to attempt to cut two at a time?

CelestialStick
2006-06-19, 11:19 PM
Anyone want to tell me how Belkar can cut all the way through a hydra's neck with a tiny knife like that? And for that matter, how is he going to attempt to cut two at a time?
Yes, good point. I was actually hoping that the hyrda, which has reach, would take all of its attacks of opportunity when Belkar moved to attack it. That actually happened to a paladin in the campaign I run and I think he didn't survive the first volley of attacks of opportunity.

Ted_Stryker
2006-06-19, 11:27 PM
l33t haxx0r skillz0rz.

Begging apologies in advance...

okpokalypse
2006-06-19, 11:55 PM
Durkon should totally step up and solo it. Assuming he's level 12 and has the Sun Domain, it's pretty much a 2-round fight :).

1. Righteous Might (DR 10 / Evil) - Hydra Attacks aren't aligned.
2. Fire Shield (Level + d6 Fire Damage Backlash) - Every time the hydra hits, it kill one of it's own heads.

When they all attack him, he can just refuse to defend himself and take the hit. He'll likely take minimal damage per head, and each one will fry when they strike. When all the head die, the body dies with it :).

Hell, being it's only a 5-headed hydra, he doesn't even need the Righteous Might. The attacks are only d10 + 3 :).

I used it against a 12-headed Cryo-Hydra and it was a pretty lopsided fight.

Ivellios
2006-06-19, 11:55 PM
Ah, attacks of oppertunity. Forgot about those. Your right. Belkar should have been dead before he could even attack.

Oh, and it's no longer only a 5 head hydra after what Belkar did to it. Shouldn't it be up to 7 by the end of the comic?

kits.dm
2006-06-19, 11:59 PM
Daggers in 3.5 do piercing OR slashing damage.
ie, players choose which type of damage is given with the attack.

Anyway, great comic Giant! Love the sarcasm from Roy.
Why is it that the line "Blah blah blah I'm a boring stupid elf blah. Not listening!" works so well?

okpokalypse
2006-06-20, 12:00 AM
Nah... there were only 5 heads, and I'm sure he's got a halfway decent tumble (along with good Dex Bonus) to avoid the attacks of opportunity.

Plus, a 5-headed hydra only has a BAB of +5. Chances are most would miss anyhow :).

Ivellios
2006-06-20, 12:03 AM
True, and you also have to take into acount that Belkar is so small. I'm not positive, but aren't halflings harder to hit due to their size?

Durin
2006-06-20, 12:16 AM
that's true but not when it comes to other halflings and creatures smaller. Anything larger has a penalty when attacking the halfling

Ivellios
2006-06-20, 12:23 AM
that's true but not when it comes to other halflings and creatures smaller. Anything larger has a penalty when attacking the halfling

Thanks for clearing that up for me. If a huge creature is fighting another creature of the same size, do they get the armor class penelties that they usually do when fighting smaller creatures?

Aerysil1
2006-06-20, 01:17 AM
DnD 3.5 works in an automatic bonus to attack rolls and armor for small creatures, and penalties to attack rolls and armor for large creatures.

Arphahat
2006-06-20, 01:19 AM
Hmmm... while I am familiar with the head-chopping trait of the hydra, what would happen if a head is chopped off where it meets the neck, it regrows two new heads, then the neck is severed below the splitting point of the two heads? Do we get two heads or four?

:)

Nightmarenny
2006-06-20, 01:32 AM
The highest strength any halfling ever had, ever.

charik
2006-06-20, 01:33 AM
And Elan mast have improved sunder to not get 4 attacks of opportunity. and even more after the first head gets chopped of
You mean Belkar. And flatfooted characters/creatures do not get attacks of opportunity, even with Combat Reflexes. I had had to look that up, because Charik has Riposte (you hit me, I get to hit you back), and got hit while flatfooted.

Schattendrache
2006-06-20, 02:35 AM
Combat Reflexes
Benefit

You may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity equal to your Dexterity bonus.

With this feat, you may also make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.

Martok
2006-06-20, 03:11 AM
Ha! Great strip, Rich. ;D

charik
2006-06-20, 04:25 AM
Combat Reflexes
Benefit

You may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity equal to your Dexterity bonus.

With this feat, you may also make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.
Dang! Hm, where did I go wrong in checking this? Maybe I read through "Attacks of Opportunity" under "Combat", and I know I checked the Barbarian class features for Uncanny Dodge. Guess I must not have checked the details of my feats. I'm certain that what I did check made no mention of any exceptions to the rule of no AoO while flatfooted.

You reading this, Greg? (our DM)

Delgarde
2006-06-20, 06:39 AM
If a huge creature is fighting another creature of the same size, do they get the armor class penelties that they usually do when fighting smaller creatures?

Since size bonuses/penalties are factored into the AC of the creature, yes, they would. Although I think there's supposed to be a balancing factor somewhere...

Delgarde
2006-06-20, 06:46 AM
And for that matter, how is he going to attempt to cut two at a time?

He's a ranger. Two hands, two weapons, easy.

Mordas
2006-06-20, 06:47 AM
Once again proving that AD&D stands for Attention Deficet Disorder!

christophergorge
2006-06-20, 07:07 AM
Hmmm... while I am familiar with the head-chopping trait of the hydra, what would happen if a head is chopped off where it meets the neck, it regrows two new heads, then the neck is severed below the splitting point of the two heads? Do we get two heads or four?

i never thought of that ;)

Lydia
2006-06-20, 07:22 AM
Since size bonuses/penalties are factored into the AC of the creature, yes, they would. Although I think there's supposed to be a balancing factor somewhere...

Based on 3.5, there are modifiers for AC and Attack bonus.

If you are small, for example, you get a +1 to AC and Attack, and if you are large you get -1/-1.

So if two halflings attack each other the bonuses cancel, but a halfling can hit an ogre more easily than a human or another ogre can, and is harder for the ogre to hit.

Of course, their weapons are smaller, so being hit doesn't matter so much.

which is why a sensible gnome or halfling always invests in poison. :)

Edit: The hydra is huge, so it gets -2/-2, giving belkar an effective +3 bonus to hit (with his size mod.) a similar bonus to avoid being hit by aoo.

Hmmm. V would know. we'll have to ask <insert 3rd person pronoun here>.

P.S. what is the plural of Hydra?
P.P.S. Sorry for the length of the post. :-[

Otterella
2006-06-20, 08:36 AM
P.S. what is the plural of Hydra?

Perhaps hydrae?

Aerysil1
2006-06-20, 08:38 AM
I would just rule that when the two heads form, the neck splits all the way down to the main body. Heck, it can regenerate a head... why not?

Ivellios
2006-06-20, 08:50 AM
Perhaps hydrae?

nah, I think it is just hydras

battleburn
2006-06-20, 10:53 AM
who cares they're solitary creatures.

Though, if you'd encounter two of them, they should get an enraged bonus for interfering in the mating process. ;)

okpokalypse
2006-06-20, 11:08 AM
I would just rule that when the two heads form, the neck splits all the way down to the main body. Heck, it can regenerate a head... why not?

I'd agree with ya there. Makes sense, since if a 2nd head doesn't have it's own independant stalk, it should be stuck attacking the same location (target) as the other head on the stalk.

Since they all attack separately, you'd have to assume they have full range and thus independant necks.

CelestialStick
2006-06-20, 12:14 PM
You mean Belkar. And flatfooted characters/creatures do not get attacks of opportunity, even with Combat Reflexes. I had had to look that up, because Charik has Riposte (you hit me, I get to hit you back), and got hit while flatfooted.

What book contains the Riposte feat?

Perhaps hydrae?
I think that's the right way to pluralize it, but people won't remember that and will probably just say "hydras."

charik
2006-06-20, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure what source originally had it, but there's a paperback booklet that compiled feats from all sorts of sources (titled, appropriately, Feats). It has them categorized as background feats, general feats, infernal feats, magical feats, and silly feats (Garden Gnome: bonus +10 to hide in lawns or gardens; prereq isn't being a gnome enough? :D) I think it's out in my car, I could give publisher later if you want.

CelestialStick
2006-06-20, 12:51 PM
I'm not sure what source originally had it, but there's a paperback booklet that compiled feats from all sorts of sources (titled, appropriately, Feats). It has them categorized as background feats, general feats, infernal feats, magical feats, and silly feats (Garden Gnome: bonus +10 to hide in lawns or gardens; prereq isn't being a gnome enough? :D) I think it's out in my car, I could give publisher later if you want.
Thanks. I'd be curious to see whether it comes from a Wizards book or from somebody else.

okpokalypse
2006-06-20, 02:31 PM

Agile Riposte comes from D20 Modern.

It very well may have been reprinted in one of the Complete books, or one of the Race of... books as well.

It's definitely been published by Wizards.

Max_Sinister
2006-06-20, 03:41 PM
"gee, the oracle must be whispering to me from afar"

I love that line, the simple sarcasm that i imagine in his voice is hilarious

I don't think anyone can be that stupid (although, who knows, how are the spot rules in D&D again?) - must be the players of Elan and Roy (the straight man) again.

Arphahat
2006-06-20, 03:46 PM
OK, then, where are the memories for a Hydra stored? Is there some central brain in the body of the beast? Otherwise, wouldn't it be totally clueless if all of its heads were chopped?
;)

battleburn
2006-06-20, 03:49 PM
All the heads remember, new heads learn it from the other heads. You might think that takes too long. But its an animal. A not too smart animal. Nothing much to learn. It's all instinct.

Krytha
2006-06-20, 05:52 PM
nah, I think it is just hydras

You're all wrong. It's hydrii.

Doug_Lampert
2006-06-20, 06:03 PM
Perhaps hydrae?
Correct if going from the Latin Hydra.

English dictionaries list both Hydrae and Hydras.

However: the Latin comes from a similar greek word (with a long a), and the Greek plural might well be something like Hydrata.

CelestialStick
2006-06-20, 06:12 PM
Agile Riposte comes from D20 Modern.

It very well may have been reprinted in one of the Complete books, or one of the Race of... books as well.

It's definitely been published by Wizards.
What does Agile Riposte let you do?

CelestialStick
2006-06-20, 07:57 PM
A hydra must be as powerful as the Snarl.. I mean, do the math! They can start with 12 heads, a chopped of head regenerates in 1d4 rounds, any excess (>original*2 heads) drops of after 1 day.

So it'd be like this, wouldn't it?
1d4 averages to 2.5
12 rounds/minute
720 rounds/hour
17,280 rounds/day
Heads would double 6,912 times in 24 hours

12*2^(6,192) would mean A LOT of heads before they start withering away. That's some powerful magic to grow all those heads! ;D

Remember that a hydra can never have more than double the original number of heads. So if it starts with 5 heads, it can't ever have more than 10.

Schattendrache
2006-06-20, 09:05 PM
Yes -- the 'excess' mentioned refers to any doubled heads beyond the original -- if a 5-head Hydra wins a fight and has eight heads at the time, three will fall off a day later to bring the total back to five.

I'm still holding out for a giant ball of self-immobilized Hydra-heads as the next strip's gag, however. Rules be damned, that'd be funny....

Overelemental
2006-06-20, 09:07 PM
Perhaps hydrae?

Yes, it is :) Although hydras is also allowed.

charik
2006-06-20, 09:17 PM
Let's see if I can do this from memory:

Prereqs: Combat Reflexes and Improved Initiative.
Benefits: If an opponent hits you in combat, you may as one of your attacks of opportunity for the round make an immediate counter-attack against them.

CelestialStick
2006-06-20, 09:33 PM
Let's see if I can do this from memory:

Prereqs: Combat Reflexes and Improved Initiative.
Benefits: If an opponent hits you in combat, you may as one of your attacks of opportunity for the round make an immediate counter-attack against them.
That doesn't sound too bad. I assume that it requires you to have a melee weapon in hand, or a natural attack, or Improved Unarmed Strike?

charik
2006-06-20, 09:41 PM
That doesn't sound too bad. I assume that it requires you to have a melee weapon in hand, or a natural attack, or Improved Unarmed Strike?
Correct, as such a weapon is required to make attacks of opportunity (you can't threaten an opponent unless you can, well, threaten them).

CelestialStick
2006-06-20, 09:51 PM
Correct, as such a weapon is required to make attacks of opportunity (you can't threaten an opponent unless you can, well, threaten them).
Hee hee. It is amazing how many people don't understand that. I've seen people who think you can flank from a distance with a missile weapon! :(

Durin
2006-06-20, 11:50 PM
Arrow in the side of the head hehehe.

Anyway YIPEE I got the Draconomicon drools on book. happy joy

Adventurer
2006-06-20, 11:59 PM
Great comic, I laughed out loud with Belkar&Elan's reactions :D

However: the Latin comes from a similar greek word (with a long a), and the Greek plural might well be something like Hydrata.

The legend of the Hydra started with the Greek myth of Hercules, so the original word is definitely Greek and in that language the plural would be "Hydres".

Durin
2006-06-21, 12:06 AM
Dra-co-no-mi-con Dance dance dance. wakka wakka. Get down and do the dwarven boogie.

I am robot super king.

*pelvic thrust*
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Indurain
2006-06-21, 03:08 AM
Hee hee. It is amazing how many people don't understand that. I've seen people who think you can flank from a distance with a missile weapon! :(

With the new Ranger mod in PHBII...you can.

WhiteRider
2006-06-21, 06:20 AM
Great comic, I laughed out loud with Belkar&Elan's reactions :D

It's sooo perfect.... and I TOTALLY have a character who would act in that exact manner! Well, he is a 13 year old boy with practically no attention span to speak of, but he would so do that exact thing.

This one is priceless... one of those where it amuses me enough to read it over and over that I am mildly obsessed with continuous checks to see if there is another coming soon....

Ivellios
2006-06-21, 12:17 PM
You're all wrong. It's hydrii.

I'd think your right. You'd probobly know that. The things probobly your avitar's cousin or somethin'.

Ethren
2006-06-21, 12:29 PM

This is what was printed in Complete Warrior that's pretty close to Agile Riposte...

Karmic Strike:
Prereq: Dex 13, Combat Exp, Dodge

On your turn, you may choose to take a –4 penalty to your AC in exchange for the option of taking an
Attack of Opportunity on any creatures that successfully makes a melee or touch attack on you.
This feat does not grant additional Attacks of Opportunity.

Ethren
2006-06-21, 12:30 PM

And the Whisperknife from RotW can flank with a thrown weapon from 10ft.

Ohtar_Turinson
2006-06-21, 12:42 PM
Perhaps hydrae?

If you're talking about the monster it's just hydra for both singular and plural. One hydra, two hydra, red hydra, blue hydra...

It would be hydras or hydrae if we were talking about freshwater polyps. Those are taken from latin, whereas the monster is taken from greek directly.

"Pedantic man... away!" *whoosh*

Suan
2006-06-21, 01:42 PM
Back to the memory loss of Roy and Durkon, maybe that is why they refer to the Oracle as male right now.

Eriol
2006-06-21, 04:07 PM
Back to the memory loss of Roy and Durkon, maybe that is why they refer to the Oracle as male right now.
As good a theory as any. That ret-con is really pissing me off.

Otterella
2006-06-21, 04:27 PM
I'm sure Rich will resolve it, just like he *poofed* the horses. (That sounds dirtier than I intended it to) Heck, he probably snuck in the "he" reference on purpose to stir up controversy, with every intention of turning it into a funny joke! We just need to be patient and wait for the punchline.

CelestialStick
2006-06-21, 05:24 PM

What's "the new Ranger mod?"

This is what was printed in Complete Warrior that's pretty close to Agile Riposte...

Karmic Strike:
Prereq: Dex 13, Combat Exp, Dodge

On your turn, you may choose to take a –4 penalty to your AC in exchange for the option of taking an
Attack of Opportunity on any creatures that successfully makes a melee or touch attack on you.
This feat does not grant additional Attacks of Opportunity.

Hmm. I wonder how many people want to take a -4 penalty to AC regularly?

What is RotW?

I'm sure Rich will resolve it, just like he *poofed* the horses. (That sounds dirtier than I intended it to) Heck, he probably snuck in the "he" reference on purpose to stir up controversy, with every intention of turning it into a funny joke! We just need to be patient and wait for the punchline.

LOL. This reminds me of the scene in Monty Python's Life of Bryan in which people decide he's the Messiah. :D

Tarlonniel
2006-06-21, 05:38 PM
RotW = Races of the Wild.

CelestialStick
2006-06-21, 05:45 PM
RotW = Races of the Wild.

Thanks, sailor. I actually bought the book but it's never made all the big an impression on me. I recall allowing a player to use some elven substitution levels from the book.

Durin
2006-06-21, 06:40 PM
I wonder if we can expect a new episode sometime to day or tommorow morning... one can only hope

CelestialStick
2006-06-21, 07:09 PM

You can flank, but you don't threaten. The rules on flanking, however, specifically state that to gain the flanking bonus you must have an opponent whom someone else threatens from the opposite side. Feats like this which create self-contradiction are almost always a bad idea.

Mordeus_Dire
2006-06-21, 10:31 PM
Hey, incidently, did anyone here notice that in Panel 11 (that's the second last panel) Belkar doesn't have any legs?
Just thought I'd bring that up! ;D

CelestialStick
2006-06-21, 10:33 PM
Hey, incidently, did anyone here notice that in Panel 11 (that's the second last panel) Belkar doesn't have any legs?

Hmm. I didn't notice, but I'm thinking I heard it somewhere. ;)

Schattendrache
2006-06-21, 11:43 PM
Hmm. I wonder how many people want to take a -4 penalty to AC regularly?

Well, if you're up against something that's going to almost be guaranteed to hit you anyhow, getting AoOs against it to KILL it faster is not a bad plan....

theswarm
2006-06-21, 11:49 PM
Thats true, but its really a trade-off either way. Some encounters that wouldn't make a difference, but it would be a real pain if it did.

Schattendrache
2006-06-21, 11:51 PM

Oh, c'mon, black lines against dark green? Hard to see at best!

Your argument doesn't have a leg to stand on! ;)

Durin
2006-06-22, 01:25 AM
well not to sound like an annoyingly optimistic elf but I hope we get a new comic today so rich can make his three comic prediction a fact

Krytha
2006-06-22, 02:18 AM

Don't worry... he's just pulling your...

hair...

piperonline
2006-06-22, 08:33 AM
Hello...I've been lurking here for ages and finally felt like posting:

Does anyone think that V and Belkar might be in love? They pick on each other constantly after all, including in this new comic. Belkar's kiss could be unrestrained actual desire.

I don't think that gender is that important when it comes to matters of the heart. Only when it comes to sex.

Arturius
2006-06-22, 08:35 AM
No, piper. V is married and doesn't seem like the type to cheat on her lover with some disgusting, psychopathic, immature halfling.

raven-gm
2006-06-22, 08:51 AM
Hey, you never know...

however, I think it's at least realitivly improbable.

They fight more like bearly restrained enemies then like people in love.

And I think elves have some sort of inhibitation about hooking up with hobbits? Too short or hairy or something? ;D

battleburn
2006-06-22, 08:51 AM
Though there have several people that posted that Belkar's obsession with V's gender in combination with the recent events suggested that Belkar at the least has taken up interest in V.

Schattendrache
2006-06-22, 09:50 AM
Morbid curiosity over the gender issue has turned into obsessive facination for the little dude. In this day and age, he'd be considered a pyschotic stalker....

^_^

charik
2006-06-22, 10:16 AM
And I think elves have some sort of inhibitation about hooking up with hobbits? Too short or hairy or something? ;D
Best not to use the h-word, or you'll be visited by magical knights with spoooooky restraining orders. :D

Deuce
2006-06-22, 11:42 AM
. . .

Not according to the Very Secret Diaries:

(Warning, you will quite probably find something offensive in the content of this site - if you have ever been offended by, well, anything, you may want to ignore this link)

Here (don't say you were not warned) (http://www.ealasaid.com/misc/vsd/)

Doug_Lampert
2006-06-22, 11:56 AM
So you're saying that Sam will kill hir if hir tries anything?

humanpylon
2006-06-22, 12:15 PM

(Warning, you will quite probably find something offensive in the content of this site - if you have ever been offended by, well, anything, you may want to ignore this link)

Here (don't say you were not warned) (http://www.ealasaid.com/misc/vsd/)

Where did you come across this? It's freaking hilarious!

Ing
2006-06-22, 01:16 PM
agile repose if i remember
requires: dodge, compat reflexes
benefit: on your dodge target, if they fail an attack attempt you can use an AoO to counter attack. your AoO in this manner cannot excede your total allowance

Otterella
2006-06-22, 02:38 PM

I don't know how to copy it into here, but I zoomed way in, and Belkar is definitely missing legs. He's just kind of floating over his feet.

Felinoid
2006-06-22, 03:47 PM
No, piper. V is married and doesn't seem like the type to cheat on her lover with some disgusting, psychopathic, immature halfling.
Just because V wouldn't reciprocate doesn't mean the halfling's not secretly in love. ;)

mastroyo
2006-06-22, 03:57 PM
So. I kinda have to say this, I hope it doesnt hurts so many fanatics.

I hate the new 'no schedule' schedule. I wish the Giant would take some vacations off the strip, and I also wish there was at least some indication of time, real time. Maybe not posting for a week or two, and then having a buffer zone.

Perhaps this is radical, but I miss having the precomic exitment, and it is getting lame checking the site every day for an update that's not coming at all.

the GITP Site maybe starting to fall in the 'check every month when you remember it' kinda webpage.

I hope it doesn't 'couse I really like the comic, and have no objections to it.

CelestialStick
2006-06-22, 06:04 PM
Well, if you're up against something that's going to almost be guaranteed to hit you anyhow, getting AoOs against it to KILL it faster is not a bad plan....
Yes, for those cases in which you're likely to get hit anyway. But how often do you encounter enemies that can pretty much always hit your AC? Since this ability requires you to use a valuable feat slot, I wonder how many people actually take it for use just in those few cases where the enemy can pretty much high you anyway.

Edit: I'm happy with the new lack of schedule--or perhaps I should say, the final acknowledgement that there's no schedule. The ackknowledgement seems to have drastically reduced the amount of childish whining about "late" (free) comics, although I've noticed a "Complaints" thread that might have attracted the whiners and pulled them away from the strip discussion thread. In either case, I check for a new strip when I think of checking, and that works well for me.

nagora
2006-06-22, 09:11 PM
There was no "proper Greek" plural of hydra, as the monster was unique.

If you want to construct a plural for yourself then the normal rules of your language apply: so hydras in English, in Latin I guess it would be hydrae as hydrii would be the singular of hydrium if there was such a word.

It's like "virus": there was no Latin plural since the word itself had a plural meaning (in the way that "many" has no singular or plural in English). Thus, the correct plural in English is viruses, which is a standard English pluralisation of a word ending in s: eg: gas->gases, cross->crosses, loss->losses.

On a related note, it was annonced today that the second and third moons of Pluto are now called "Nix" and "Hydra", so there are now more hyrdas in the solar system than there were yesterday.

So there.

Durin
2006-06-22, 09:15 PM
Pluto has moons?

TinSoldier
2006-06-22, 09:19 PM
Pluto has moons?Why do I get a mental picture of Mickey Mouse's dog showing his butt to the audience?

Don't answer that. ::)

LordVader
2006-06-22, 09:34 PM
You're just weird. What if the hydra breathes WATER? MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA ha

TinSoldier
2006-06-22, 09:50 PM
You're just weird. What if the hydra breathes WATER? MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA haSee, the pun isn't as funny if you laugh at it yourself.

(I actually found "hydra spitting water" funny -- does it cool off the inner-city kids during the summer?)

Durin
2006-06-22, 10:05 PM
Pluto has only one moon it's name is charon it is a tiny little rock thats about 1,270 km in diameter it's basically pluto junior

Edit: ahh the NASA website now states that they have VERY recently discovered one or two new moons my mistake. Bravo whoever pointed that out

LordVader
2006-06-22, 10:16 PM
See, the pun isn't as funny if you laugh at it yourself.

(I actually found "hydra spitting water" funny -- does it cool off the inner-city kids during the summer?)
yeah, a hydra concerned about the welfare of inner city kids. The " Hardship Aware" hydra, alignment LG. :)

ByzCath
2006-06-22, 11:26 PM
Why do I get a mental picture of Mickey Mouse's dog showing his butt to the audience?

Don't answer that. ::)

Complete with Klingons?

Think about it.

Arian
2006-06-22, 11:51 PM
hydrii would be the singular of hydrium if there was such a word.

<poke>

You mean that 'hydrii' would be the PLURAL of 'hydrius' if there were such a word.

The plural of 'hydrium' would be 'hydria'.

Carry on...

humanpylon
2006-06-23, 12:22 AM
Complete with Klingons?

Think about it.

ew.

CelestialStick
2006-06-23, 01:05 AM
<poke>

You mean that 'hydrii' would be the PLURAL of 'hydrius' if there were such a word.

The plural of 'hydrium' would be 'hydria'.

Carry on...

Glad to see you're still alive and correcting...er, I mean kicking. ;)

tis_tom
2006-06-23, 02:11 AM
Well if you take Hydra as an ancient greek word the plural would be 'Hydrai' if you wanted a word as close to what it would have originally been in greek letters.

Trust me. I'm a classicist!

Arian
2006-06-23, 02:20 AM
Glad to see you're still alive and correcting...er, I mean kicking. ;)

Having more than 5 ranks in both Gamer Geek and Classics Geek gives reciprocal +2 synergy.

CelestialStick
2006-06-23, 02:21 AM
Well if you take Hydra as an ancient greek word the plural would be 'Hydrai' if you wanted a word as close to what it would have originally been in greek letters.

Trust me. I'm a classicist!
Arian is a classicist too. So does she agree with you, or do we have to start an Arian v. tis_tom thread?! ;)

Arian
2006-06-23, 02:59 AM
Bad luck, CS, I agree with him. :)

CelestialStick
2006-06-23, 03:05 AM

Bah, you're probably saying that just to avoid giving me an excuse to start the Arian v. tis_tom thread! :(

tis_tom
2006-06-23, 06:55 AM

lol thank god! the moment I wrote that I panicked I was wrong! I'm doing examits at the mo so I'm in that "questioning everything" stage.

Though I'm sure another 'vs' thread would go down very well with everyone o_O how many of them are there now?!