PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next PEACH this magic weapon :)

Feuerphoenix
2017-11-20, 02:16 PM
Hey guys,

I was thinking about this weapon since some time now, and I would like to hear your feedback to it, and also the rarity it should get.

True Light
any melee weapon with slashing damage; requires attunement by a paladin or a cleric with good alignment)

Deeds in great battles are sometimes not overlooked by extra-planar beings like Celestials or even gods. Honor, Duty, Devotion or courage, in times of despair these virtues form the heroes of the gods. This weapon was passed by an angel to one of these former heroes and is now yours.
This magic weapon appears as being made of silver entirely, and softly glows from the inside. When you make a weapon attack fiends or undead, you get advantage with that attack. If you kill an undead or a fiend with it, and its challenge rating is 5 or lower, its soul is shattered and destroyed.
Also you may speak a command word as an action, to unleash the weapons true power. It starts shining in bright light fo 30 feet and dim light for another 30 feet. All friendly creatures, who can see you or the weapon are under the effect of "beacon of hope". This is in effect for 1 minute, but you can dismiss by saying another command word as a free action. Once you have used this feature you may not use it again until dawn.

What do you think? What rarity should this weapon get?

Nifft
2017-11-20, 03:16 PM
What do you think? What rarity should this weapon get?

"Rarity" makes me think this might be about 5e.

jqavins
2017-11-20, 03:20 PM
I'm not familiar with pricing items in 5e. Since Beacon of Hope normally requires concentration but in this case goes on by itself, I think that should jack the price up somewhat, relative to just the spell level. (Perhaps the ordinary pricing guidelines already account for this.)

In 3.5e, pricing-wise, I'd make it a +2 equivalent feature, or maybe +1, that can be added to any magic weapon at the regular price.

To your question about rarity, the opening fluff paragraph implies that the item is unique. I was expecting artifact-level power, which this certainly does not have. I don't see any crunchy reason to make it particularly rare at all.

Edit to reply to Nifft, who ninjad me.

"Rarity" makes me think this might be about 5e.
If grants advantage, so it is certainly 5e. Is "rarity" a reserved keyword in 5e? If so, disregard my last comment above.

Feuerphoenix
2017-11-20, 03:35 PM
Yeah sorry, it is 5e :)

jqavins
2017-11-20, 03:40 PM
No need to apologize. Now, if it were 4e...

Flashy
2017-11-20, 04:23 PM
I'd say high end of uncommon to low end of rare since it's effectively just advantage against two particular types of enemies and a 3rd level spell 1/day (the soul destruction is neat fluff but carries little mechanical weight).

In a fiend/undead heavy campaign I'd probably make it rarer, in one where they're about as prevalent as anything else I'd lean towards making it more common.

Feuerphoenix
2017-11-20, 04:27 PM
I'd say high end of uncommon to low end of rare since it's effectively just advantage against two particular types of enemies and a 3rd level spell 1/day (the soul destruction is neat fluff but carries little mechanical weight).

In a fiend/undead heavy campaign I'd probably make it rarer, in one where they're about as prevalent as anything else I'd lean towards making it more common.

Would a +1 to its statics make it more easy for you? I was also thinking about a summoning option, like a warlock weapon.

Nifft
2017-11-20, 06:28 PM
Uncommon and requires Attunement.

It's good vs. two types but worse than a +1 vs. others, so the mechanically optimal thing to do is swap with another weapon. Attunement means you're paying for that opportunity to swap it in.

IMHO it could be Rare without Attunement.

Feuerphoenix
2018-03-10, 07:21 AM
Hey guys, the weapon was updated with charges (3).

It takes 1 charge to cast "Absorb element", 2 charges to cast "misty step" and three charges to activate the beacon of hope effect.

With attunement I rated this item as rare, is this appropriate?