PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Super Natural Guns - Balancing extreme magic guns

WastelandDave
2017-11-21, 03:29 AM
So I run a weird west / high fantasy adventure for a group of my friends and for the most part it is a low magic game but as of recent sessions they are slowly building up to a point where a handful of almost epic magic guns are going to be introduced, that's why I'm here to see if I'm heading in the right direction or if I'm off my rocker.

-These guns are influenced by the comic series "The Sixth Gun"

Here is a sample of the first gun they are going to be introduced to-

Gun 1: Owain Turnbull - Massive Force
-
Revolver/ Cost: -gp/ Dmg(S): 4d4/ Dmg(M): 4d6/ Crit: 16-20 ×2/ Range: 20 ft./ Misfire: 0/
Capacity: - / Weight: 4 lbs./ Type: B and P/ Ego: 18
-
Ego LvL / Bonus / Drawback
1-20 / Explosive Critical * / None
21-40 / +5 AC / -5 to social skills (except intimidate)
41-60 / +10 DR (B-P-S) / Alignment shift 1 step (CE)
61-80 / +2 Str & +2 Con / -5 Will saves
81-100 / None / Force of Destruction*
-
Explosive Critical: Critical Dmg is calculated as splash Dmg, effecting all targets within a 20ft of the target with 8d6 force Dmg, reflex save (DC = Ego) halves Dmg.
Force of Destruction: Wielder's will save are treated as –10 (total –15) when it comes to resisting the impulses to do destructive Dmg to persons, places, or things. Wielder is also unable to do non-lethal Dmg.

I can post stats on a few of the custom guns that are already in game if anyone would like.

Thanks in advance.

WastelandDave
2017-11-21, 03:50 AM
Zeth's Cannon/ Cost: -gp / Dmg(S): 1d10 @ 50ft, 2d10 @ 15ft / Dmg(M): 3d8 @ 50ft, 4d8 @ 15ft / Crit: ×4 / Range: 50 ft./ Jam: 1-2 @ 50ft, 1-3 @ 15ft/
Capacity: 2 / Weight: 20 lbs./ Type: B and P/
--
Rhys's Revolver/ Cost: -gp/ Dmg(S): 1d6/ Crit: ×4/ Range: 25 ft./ Jam: 1/
Capacity: 5/ Weight: 3 lbs./ Type: B and P/
*Special: Fan the Hammer (Ex): At 3rd level, the gunslinger can make a number of additonal ranged attack with her firearm as a full round action. When she does, for every grit point she spends she is able to fire an additional shot with their firearm till the firearm needs to be reloaded or the Gunslinger runs out of grit. A misfire or jam ends this ability even if the Gunslinger has grit points to spend. This ability can not be used with Magical firearms that have an unlimited ammo capacity. Performing this deed costs at least 1 grit point.

Those other custom guns-
Zeth's Cannon is a cross between a swivel naval cannon, and a double hackbut.

Rhys's Revolver is a five round revolver with a custom firing mechanism.

JoshuaZ
2017-11-21, 11:41 AM
Balanced against what? These appear to be artifacts in terms of how they work, and the guns in the source comicbook would clearly be artifacts in a D&D context. By nature, artifacts are very hard to balance and will often be very campaign specific.

WastelandDave
2017-11-21, 01:15 PM
Balanced against what? These appear to be artifacts in terms of how they work, and the guns in the source comicbook would clearly be artifacts in a D&D context. By nature, artifacts are very hard to balance and will often be very campaign specific.

Thanks, I'm wasn't really sure how to phrase my question, sorry.
I was hoping that it looked solid and was able to be understood they way it is written (The gun stats/abilities).