PDA

View Full Version : Shower Design question (for the ladies, or anyone who shaves their legs)

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-19, 10:35 AM
Hi! My wife and I are redesigning our upstairs, which includes putting in a bathroom.

I'd like to get your opinion on shower design - we'd like to have a ledge put in to sit or put your leg up upon to facilitate the shaving of one's legs and such.

If you could design it, would you put such a ledge (probably about a 20" high and extending out about 12-14") under the shower head, or would you put in in the back? Green markup is the front, blue markup is the back.

Normally, I'd ask my wife, but she's on a camping trip with her college roommates for the next couple days, and has the phone off.

http://www.ryanjpeters.com/max/files/BathroomRevB.jpg

SMEE
2007-08-19, 11:21 AM
I would find it easier to shave my leg if the ledge is under the shower head.
In fact, I miss having such type of ledge to rest my leg upon while I shave it... :smallsigh:

So, put it under the shower head. It'll be more productive and confortable for the one who has to shave. :smallsmile:

Kitya
2007-08-19, 11:34 AM
I never use the shower for shaving, because by the time I'm done washing my hair I've used up most of the hot water! *chuckles* the downside to long hair. If I were tho... it would depend... what kind of shower nozzle do you have? Is it a gentle rain, a "massage with water", or the adjustable kind? If it's the hard massage kind, I'd say put the ledge at the back, otherwise her head is gonna get pulped, but her back will get a nice massage with the shelf at the back. We have the massage with water kind. *grin* I lurves it.

Lilly
2007-08-19, 12:15 PM
How's your water pressure?

If it's not all that great (and even if it is okay, but you're designing the shower for women) completely skip the non-handheld showerhead. And if you do that, put the ledge in the front.

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-19, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Both my wife and I are pretty tall (she's 5'-9"). We've got strong water pressure and the ability to situate the shower head at any height we want, since we're putting this one in from scratch. The only limitation is space, as shown in the picture. We'll be putting in one of those hand-held shower head jobbies, as they are nigh-essential.

phoenixineohp
2007-08-19, 08:47 PM
The other thing you may want to think about is sitting in the shower, on the ledge. If you are very tired, sleepy, older or sharing, the bench spot may matter.

As is, I'd strongly suggest the one at the back. Keeps the water off the legs while shaving, and it's not hitting you in the face and running down to wash off the shave cream.

Last_resort_33
2007-08-20, 02:06 AM
The showerhead will be removeable anyway won't it?

you have no idea how much it annoys me not to be able to detatch the showerhead...

(I don't actually shave my legs, but I thought that I'd stick my ugly head in anyway)

Swedish chef
2007-08-20, 07:33 AM
I would put it in the front to be able to sit and have water on my neck and shoulders. Also I would not have a fixed ledge. I would do something with hinges or so so that it became a fold down ledge. You never know when you want all the space under the shower for just standing there.

Although, I'm definetly not a carpenter so I'm just giving you my idea of stuff.

Alarra
2007-08-20, 01:11 PM
I'd prefer the back personally, for the reasons pxp listed.

OverdrivePrime
2007-08-20, 02:17 PM
Thanks very much, everyone! I wouldn't have thought of a lot of that. Off to the contractor! *whooosh* :smallcool: