PDA

View Full Version : Those pesky spell-casters

Umbral Chicken
2007-08-19, 08:48 PM
Just need confirmation on the rules concerning a simple method to harass spell-casters.

Character “Melee 1” uses a move action to bring him-self adjacent to “Caster 1”. Melee 1 readies a move action on the condition that should Caster 1 move he will attempt to follow in such a manner as to make him-self once again adjacent. Caster 1 moves (5 foot step to avoid aoo, 30ft move, etc.) this triggers the readied action of Melee 1 who is now adjacent, If Caster 1 wishes to cast a spell he must now either accept provoking an aoo from Melee1 or cast defensively and possibly loss the spell.

Is my analysis correct?

Dhavaer
2007-08-19, 08:52 PM
Yes, you are correct.

Zincorium
2007-08-19, 08:59 PM
With the caveat that the caster does not automatically know what the guy has an action readied against, that would take good deal of perceptiveness to know, and most casters who were capable of figuring out what a 'readied action' in game terms translates into, would probably assume that the trigger was 'casts a spell' and move anyway.

yango
2007-08-19, 09:14 PM
Character “Melee 1” uses a move action to bring him-self adjacent to “Caster 1”. Melee 1 readies a move action on the condition that should Caster 1 move he will attempt to follow in such a manner as to make him-self once again adjacent. Caster 1 moves (5 foot step to avoid aoo, 30ft move, ext) this triggers the readied action of Melee 1 who is now adjacent, If Caster 1 wishes to cast a spell he must now either accept provoking an aoo from Melee1 or cast defensively and possibly loss the spell.

Is my analysis correct?

Not quite:

You can't 5-foot step in any round where you also move with some other mode of movement. As such, Caster 1 is making an illegal action. The only action he can take to move more than 5 ft. without provoking an AoO is the withdraw action, which means he can't cast a spell anyway.

JackMage666
2007-08-19, 09:19 PM
Not quite:

You can't 5-foot step in any round where you also move with some other mode of movement. As such, Caster 1 is making an illegal action. The only action he can take to move more than 5 ft. without provoking an AoO is the withdraw action, which means he can't cast a spell anyway.

In his example, he means...

Caster 1 moves (5 foot step to avoid aoo, 30ft move, ect)...

So, not all of them, but one (either a 5 foot step, or an X ft move action).

yango
2007-08-19, 09:20 PM
So, not all of them, but one (either a 5 foot step, or an X ft move action).

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Then yes, he is correct.

Fizban
2007-08-19, 09:35 PM
It should be noted that at the level when casters are annoying, casting defensively is ridiculously easy.

ByeLindgren
2007-08-19, 09:36 PM
That's why you kill 'em when they're still on the ground.

Seriously, though, high CON is wonderful for everyone.

Sir Jason
2007-08-20, 07:14 AM
That's why you kill 'em when they're still on the ground.

So what? Kill all the wizard/sorcerer babies?

Tengu
2007-08-20, 07:18 AM
So what? Kill all the wizard/sorcerer babies?

I think this tactic works best if you're afraid that one of them might be the Favored Soul prophecies spoke about.

Fixer
2007-08-20, 07:31 AM
Under 3.0 a better response would be:

Melee 1 moves to within threat distance of Caster 1 and readies a partial charge should Caster 1 attempt to cast a spell.
Caster 1 5' moves out of threat range and attempts to cast.
Melee 1 activates his partial charge and attacks to interrupt.
Caster 1 (if he isn't disrupted) is again threatened and can either cast defensively or draw an AoO by continuing to cast.

Double your chances to disrupt.

Anyone else notice (as I just did) that there are no more partial charges under 3.5?

yango
2007-08-20, 07:56 AM
Anyone else notice (as I just did) that there are no more partial charges under 3.5?

Sort of:

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

They aren't completely gone, but they're changed enough to only be useful in certain situations (e.g. the surprise round).

Ulzgoroth
2007-08-20, 07:58 AM
I doubt it, in light of this here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#charge)

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

However, since that doesn't allow a partial charge as a readied action (technically, it does if you're slowed or in the surprise round...) it does still scuttle your approach.

Of course, if you just grab a bow instead of a sword and ready an action to multishot them if they cast, that works...

Whee, ninja!

Fixer
2007-08-20, 08:43 AM
I will miss the ability to ready a partial charge. :(

Curmudgeon
2007-08-20, 12:54 PM
In his example, he means...

Caster 1 moves (5 foot step to avoid aoo, 30ft move, ect)...
Huh? What is "ect" supposed to mean?

Did you perhaps intend "et cetera"?

Umbral Chicken
2007-08-20, 07:24 PM
Huh? What is "ect" supposed to mean?

Did you perhaps intend "et cetera"?

Truly, it is kind for one such as you, having never been in error grammatically nor ever having once misspelled a word, to grace us with your presence for no other propose then to publicly correct my error. So brave and selfless was you endeavor you could not be distracted by the actually content of the post, or by adding anything relevant to the conversation. Again your show you courtesy by making the totally sincere plea that so grievous was my error of interchanging two letters that you actually failed to understand my meaning.

So in summation yes, you are correct, I did intend to write “etc.” as opposed to “ect” (as per the normal usage of the phrase, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_cetera). One can only hope others will be as kind, understanding, and forgiving as you

Fawsto
2007-08-20, 10:03 PM
Dude this is the classic way to kill Casters... Stick to them and ruim every attempt of casting they try. Normaly a wiz will fall to any comabtant that can get too close before the wiz casts anything.

The idea is to win the Initiative, if you don't, runf for your life. Simple like that.

Dr._Weird
2007-08-20, 10:36 PM
Truly, it is kind for one such as you, having never been in error grammatically nor ever having once misspelled a word, to grace us with your presence for no other propose then to publicly correct my error. So brave and selfless was you endeavor you could not be distracted by the actually content of the post, or by adding anything relevant to the conversation. Again your show you courtesy by making the totally sincere plea that so grievous was my error of interchanging two letters that you actually failed to understand my meaning.

So in summation yes, you are correct, I did intend to write “etc.” as opposed to “ect” (as per the normal usage of the phrase, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_cetera). One can only hope others will be as kind, understanding, and forgiving as you

"You" makes no sense here. Perhaps you meant "your"?

(:smallbiggrin: )

Damionte
2007-08-20, 11:01 PM
It does work but it's not very effective. You would have been just as well served to hit him when you got up to him in the first place.

In fact next time you walk up to a wizard trip them. Improved trip works even better for harrasing casters. Trip them, hit them "HARD". Then hit them again when they try to get up. They'll probably be dead by then. Or so weakened that they're not trying to shoot you. They're all about gettign the heck out of dodge.

Concentration checks for defensive casting are a bit too easy to make. Yes at mid to low levels they may miss the roll every once in a while. They won't miss it enough for you to be able to count on it.