PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Runic Magic: Two new subclasses, and a feat

PhoenixPhyre
2017-11-28, 11:57 AM
Runic magic (the power of written shapes, empowered by living beings) is a major part of the history of my setting. It was one of the two major forces wielded before written history, along with elemental sorcery (raw spoken magic). It's currently around in a much reduced form.

I decided to create a runic magic subsystem and two subclasses (one for fighters and one for barbarians) that center around it. There's also a feat (like magic initiate) to allow others to use a limited amount of it.

Runic Magic (Google Doc) (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FZNrDIryGKW0MMtFDVyn7xfN5BcWivgKCJgL2HlWDk0/edit?usp=sharing)

Design goals/notes:

I wanted to give the option of more flexibility/versatility to the two "martial" classes while giving them a reason to use secondary stats (INT or CHA)
Ideally (but this needs work) this should be balanced as far as damage potential in the area of a battlemaster fighter when consuming appropriate amounts of resources.
Effects that require an action should be slightly better than taking the Attack action. Maybe less damage per target but more targets, or impose a rider effect.
I'm assuming the use of the optional tool kit proficiency rules from Xanthar's Guide to Everything to make the Rune-binder's features more useful.
The numbers are pretty rough so far. Suggestions for improvements or better wording would be very welcome.

Comments welcome!