PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Racial Feats for Volo's Races

Zerdal
2017-12-01, 11:48 AM
In Xanathar's Guide To Everything there is no racial feats for races from Volo's Guide to monsters. Let's fill this void and share some ideas.

TRITON.

Deep Sea Dweller
You are adapted to darkness and murky water of the deep sea.

You gain blidsight of 60 feet (echolocation). You can percive your surroundings without relying on sight within specified radius. You can't use this ability while being deafened.

Thoughts. It really bothers me that Tritons didn't get darkvision or any different ability that allows them to see in darkness by default, even they are supposed to be, as described, adapted to live in "the most extreme ocean's depths". Also, blindsight makes more sense, since many deep sea creatures use either echolocation or electroperception to hunt their prey.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-01, 11:50 AM
In Xanathar's Guide To Everything there is no racial feats for races from Volo's Guide to monsters. Let's fill this void and share some ideas.

TRITON.

Deep Sea Dweller
You are adapted to darkness and murky water of the deep sea.

You gain blidsight of 60 feet (echolocation). You can percive your surroundings without relying on sight within specified radius. You can't use this ability while being deafened.

Reason. It really bothers me that Tritons didn't get darkvision or any different ability that allows them to see in darkness by default, even they are supposed to be, as described, adapted to live in "the most extreme ocean's depths". Also, blindsight makes more sense, since many deep sea creatures use either echolocation or electroperception to hunt their prey.

If you have the DNDbeyond version of the book they made 16 new racial feats that are for each of the races in Volo's.

Some are amazing, some are kind of pointless.

Zerdal
2017-12-01, 11:58 AM
If you have the DNDbeyond version of the book they made 16 new racial feats that are for each of the races in Volo's.

I don't. What's the current state of D&D Beyond? Is it worth the price, or not? Last time I checked it was really bare-bones in terms of tools and the interface could have been better.

DarkKnightJin
2017-12-01, 12:08 PM

I am not going to pay TWICE for the same thing.
D&D Beyond can go play in traffic for all I care.

And I don't like that they're not making those Volo's racial feats a thing anybody can get, but that you need Beyond.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-01, 12:08 PM
I don't. What's the current state of D&D Beyond? Is it worth the price, or not? Last time I checked it was really bare-bones in terms of tools and the interface could have been better.

Worth the price? Not really.

The character build interface is clunky and kind of disorganized.
You can't actually apply the effects of buffs on the character sheet itself like Mage Armor, haste or whatever.

If you are running the game, it MIGHT be worth it if you buy the books AND you buy the subscription.

If you are playing a game in person and using it to keep track of character stuff, not remotely worth it.

I spent like 130 bucks for essentially a pretty good character sheet that can be edited... somewhat.

If you plan to play an online game with people, maybe.

I totally regret wasting the money on it.

sightlessrealit
2017-12-01, 12:11 PM

Could ya give some snips on those feats. -totally not shady look-

Dudewithknives
2017-12-01, 12:33 PM
Could ya give some snips on those feats. -totally not shady look-

The good ones:

Urd Wings: Kobold, +1 Dex, grow wings and fly at speed 30.

Tortle Protector: +1 more natural AC, to a flat 18, +1 Str or Wis, and if you have to reflex save can give half cover to others in 5 ft once a rest.

Sky Warden: Aarak - +1 Dex, perception training, expertise if sight based, dive bomb a person using a melee attack adding 1d6 to the damage

Like a Boss: Goblin, +1 dex, once per rest if you or someone in 5 ft are attacked, give the attack disadvantage. essentially you use someone as a human shield.

Dao Heritage: Earth Genasi: Natural armor of 13 + dex, +1 str or con, and detect magic at will.

Angelic protection: Aasimar: you have advantage on all saves vs spells and magic effects.

P.S. The Vine is having a Mafia players Mafia, might want to sign up.

the_brazenburn
2017-12-01, 12:41 PM
Hobgoblin:

Martial Advantage: When you hit an opponent who is adjacent to one of your allies who isn't incapacitated, you can choose to deal an additional amount of damage equal to (your Int modifier)d6. You may only use this once per round.

I get very annoyed that the hobgoblin doesn't have Martial Advantage, which, imo, is its distinguishing feature. Hopefully this can remedy the situation.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-01, 12:53 PM
Hobgoblin:

Martial Advantage: When you hit an opponent who is adjacent to one of your allies who isn't incapacitated, you can choose to deal an additional amount of damage equal to (your Int modifier)d6. You may only use this once per round.

I get very annoyed that the hobgoblin doesn't have Martial Advantage, which, imo, is its distinguishing feature. Hopefully this can remedy the situation.

So once per round when I hit someone my buddy is next to and I have an 18 int I could add 4d6 to the damage, every round...

That is crazy.

the_brazenburn
2017-12-01, 01:02 PM
So once per round when I hit someone my buddy is next to and I have an 18 int I could add 4d6 to the damage, every round...

That is crazy.

Is it actually OP, though?

Lord8Ball
2017-12-01, 01:09 PM
A half radius devils sight put in a feat form isn't bad. If you play a warlock it is pretty useful to save an invocation slot. EDIT: I think this feat is reasonably powerful.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-01, 01:16 PM
Is it actually OP, though?

That is the equivalent of a free level 7 sneak attack from a rogue for a feat any class can take, if they have a good INT.

Yeah that is some kind of OP.

At level 10 or so an arcane trickster could club someone with Booming Blade and that one feat for:

assuming they have boosted dex and int like most AT.

1d8 weapon assume like a rapier or something
2d8 booming blade, 3 more d8 if they move
5d6 from the feat
5d6 from sneak attack
+ whatever their stat bonus is

That is roughly 48.5 damage before the stat bonus, so 50+ damage.

any feat that can add 5d6 every round and is pretty easy to set up is monstrously OP.

A feat that gave them Pack Tactics might be ok, but even that might be a little too good.

the_brazenburn
2017-12-01, 02:48 PM
OK, adjusting...

How about...

Martial Advantage: When you attack an enemy who is adjacent to an ally of yours, you gain advantage on the attack roll.

Is this any better?

DracoKnight
2017-12-01, 02:51 PM
Just so everyone knows: the D&D Beyond feats for non-PHB races can be found on the DMs Guild for $2.99. You don't have to buy the book a second time to get them.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-01, 02:51 PM
OK, adjusting...

How about...

Martial Advantage: When you attack an enemy who is adjacent to an ally of yours, you gain advantage on the attack roll.

Is this any better?

Yeah, that is just pack tactics in a feat, like I mentioned.

Powerful but as a feat and not a half feat it is ok.

the_brazenburn
2017-12-01, 02:56 PM
Also, kobolds should get Superior Darkvision and bugbears should receive Brute.

SkipSandwich
2017-12-01, 04:13 PM
Some ideas for my favorite Dinosaur-people, the Lizardfolk!

:EDIT: due to feedback, have added ASI to Ferocious Hunger, Expert Hunter and Rip & Tear

Enchanted Artisan: When you use your Cunning Artisan ability, if the creature whose body you are scavenging possessed either natural spellcasting ability or natural weapons that counted as magical, any weapons created also count as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance or immunity. Furthermore, if you make a Shield from the body of a creature that possessed Resistance or Immunity to one or more damage types, you may choose one of those damage types, and the shield thus created bestows Resistance to that damage type when wielded.

Efficient Artisan: When you use your Cunning Artisan feature, you may make one additional item (or batch of ammo) for every two sizes larger than small the corpse is. If the corpse is Large or larger, you may add the Greatclub, Spear, Quarterstaff, Shortbow, 1d4 arrows, Leather Armor and Hide armor to the list of craftable items. If the corpse is size Gargantuan, you may also construct a Pike, Lance, Longbow or Breastplate.

Ferocious Hunger: When you use your Hungry Jaws ability you deal an additional +1d6 damage with your bite and gain temporary hit points equal to one-half the damage dealt + your con modifier. Increase your Con score by 1.

Hunter's Expertise: Choose two of the following skills; Animal Handling, Nature, Perception, Stealth or Survival, you gain proficiency in the selected skills. If you already possessed proficiency in the chosen skill(s), you now apply twice your proficiency modifier to all ability checks for that skill (as the Rogue's Expertise ability). You may also increase you Dex or Wis score by 1 point.

Rip & Tear: Your bite attack deals an additional +1d4 Slashing damage and counts as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance or immunity. Increase your Str by 1 point.

Zerdal
2017-12-01, 04:37 PM
KENKU

Avian Agility
You have learned how to use your small weight and avian physique to your advantage.
You don't provoke opportunity attacks when you leave out of an enemy's reach.
You can glide down, to fall safely from any height and a distance of your long jump is doubled.

Thoughts. From a mechanical standpoint, Kenkus are the most lackluster race in Volo's Guide to Monsters. They really need some love to become more popular choice among players. First feature is obviously inspired by flyby from Monster Manual. Kenku can't fly, but they still can have that bird-like nimbleness - a welcome change for any rogue. Second feature is more situational, but pretty cool thematically. I imagine a cloaked Kenku gliding down and between buildings in the urban environment like the batman in the Arkham series.

What do you think?

Dudewithknives
2017-12-01, 04:48 PM
KENKU

Avian Agility
You have learned how to use your small weight and avian physique to your advantage.
You don't provoke opportunity attacks when you leave out of an enemy's reach.
You can glide down, to fall safely from any height and a distance of your long jump is doubled.

Thoughts. From a mechanical standpoint, Kenkus are the most lackluster race in Volo's Guide to Monsters. They really need some love to become more popular choice among players. First feature is obviously inspired by flyby from Monster Manual. Kenku can't fly, but they still can have that bird-like nimbleness - a welcome change for any rogue. Second feature is more situational, but pretty cool thematically; I imagine a cloaked Kenku gliding down and between buildings in the urban environment like the batman in the Arkham series.

What do you think?

the Glide ability looks pretty good that makes perfect sense to me but the other part which is essentially a free disengage all the time no that's pretty overpowered

Zerdal
2017-12-01, 04:59 PM
the Glide ability looks pretty good that makes perfect sense to me but the other part which is essentially a free disengage all the time no that's pretty overpowered

Still, it costs you a feat. Instead of this, as a rogue (the most obvious class choice when you're playing a Kenku), you could pick up a Crossbow Expert, Mobile or Moderately Armored which are powerful on their own and I think this feat should be just as good. Otherwise, nobody will bother.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-01, 05:13 PM
Still, it costs you a feat. Instead of this, as a rogue (the most obvious class choice when you're playing a Kenku), you could pick up a Crossbow Expert, Mobile or Moderately Armored which are powerful on their own and I think this feat should be just as good. Otherwise, nobody will bother.

Just as good sure but the feat is much better than them.

An always active free disengage is crazy.

A rogue has to be level 2 and spend a bonus action.
A monk has to spend a ki point and I think a bonus action. Might just be the ki point.
A swashbuckler or person with mobile has to attack first and it only applies to that one target.

With that feat you could just walk through an army all you want and just stab important targets and there is nothing they could do about it.

Making a feat that is 100% better than multiple classes abilities that do the same thing or another feat that gives the same effect is a bad idea.

That would be like making a feat that just let someone make an extra attack each round that costs no action.

Mith
2017-12-01, 05:19 PM
Some ideas for my favorite Dinosaur-people, the Lizardfolk!

Enchanted Artisan: When you use your Cunning Artisan ability, if the creature whose body you are scavenging possessed either natural spellcasting ability or natural weapons that counted as magical, any weapons created also count as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance or immunity. Furthermore, if you make a Shield from the body of a creature that possessed Resistance or Immunity to one or more damage types, you may choose one of those damage types, and the shield thus created bestows Resistance to that damage type when wielded.

Efficient Artisan: When you use your Cunning Artisan feature, you may make one additional item (or batch of ammo) for every two sizes larger than small the corpse is. If the corpse is Large or larger, you may add the Greatclub, Spear, Quarterstaff, Shortbow, 1d4 arrows, Leather Armor and Hide armor to the list of craftable items. If the corpse is size Gargantuan, you may also construct a Pike, Lance, Longbow or Breastplate.

Ferocious Hunger: When you use your Hungry Jaws ability you deal an additional +1d6 damage with your bite and gain temporary hit points equal to one-half the damage dealt + your con modifier.

Hunter's Expertise: Choose two of the following skills; Animal Handling, Nature, Perception, Stealth or Survival, you gain proficiency in the selected skills. If you already possessed proficiency in the chosen skill(s), you now apply twice your proficiency modifier to all ability checks for that skill (as the Rogue's Expertise ability).

Rip and Tear: Your bite attack deals an additional +1d4 Slashing damage and counts as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance or immunity.

I'll wait for other people to chime in on balance, but if I rolled stats and were happy with them, I would definitely do a Barbaric Lizardfolk with all of these feats. "The strength of my enemy will become my own." I say rolled stats because I always like high stats even if they are not a crucial to the game as previous editions.

Moredhel24
2017-12-01, 05:21 PM
Just so everyone knows: the D&D Beyond feats for non-PHB races can be found on the DMs Guild for $2.99. You don't have to buy the book a second time to get them.

Thanks for the info. Why wouldn't they just print them in xgte? sales gimmick for d&d beyond?

Dudewithknives
2017-12-01, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the info. Why wouldn't they just print them in xgte? sales gimmick for d&d beyond?

I think because technically they are not AL legal they are created by the guys at DNDbeyond, not directly from JC MM and company.

SkipSandwich
2017-12-01, 07:24 PM
I'll wait for other people to chime in on balance, but if I rolled stats and were happy with them, I would definitely do a Barbaric Lizardfolk with all of these feats. "The strength of my enemy will become my own." I say rolled stats because I always like high stats even if they are not a crucial to the game as previous editions.

Thanks! my first draft of enchanted artisan also allowed you to craft armor that granted resistance if you also had efficient artisan, but I felt giving TWO sources of permanent damage resistance was stepping on the barbarian's toes too much. it's also why efficient artisan ended up being split into a separate feat, it was just too good on top of the magic item crafting.

Ferocious Hunger, Hunter's Expertise and Rip & Tear could probably all stand to include some ability increases though.

Mith
2017-12-01, 10:28 PM
Thanks! my first draft of enchanted artisan also allowed you to craft armor that granted resistance if you also had efficient artisan, but I felt giving TWO sources of permanent damage resistance was stepping on the barbarian's toes too much. it's also why efficient artisan ended up being split into a separate feat, it was just too good on top of the magic item crafting.

Ferocious Hunger, Hunter's Expertise and Rip & Tear could probably all stand to include some ability increases though.

I can agree with both points here. Perhaps +1 Con to Ferocious Hunger, +1Dex or Wis for Hunter's Expertise, And +1 Str for Rip & Tear? I also like the idea that a lizard folk with Enchanted Artisan could harvest monster parts to craft a magical suit of armour that grants overall resistance to damage.

I am picturing a refluffed Ancestral Guardian to be shades of slain enemies.

SkipSandwich
2017-12-02, 04:01 PM
I can agree with both points here. Perhaps +1 Con to Ferocious Hunger, +1Dex or Wis for Hunter's Expertise, And +1 Str for Rip & Tear? I also like the idea that a lizard folk with Enchanted Artisan could harvest monster parts to craft a magical suit of armour that grants overall resistance to damage.

I am picturing a refluffed Ancestral Guardian to be shades of slain enemies.

Updated my post with the suggested changes. Also thought up some Goblin feats while I was at it.

A Small Grudge: Your resentment over the strength of the tall races has reached supernatural power. You can curse a medium or larger sized humanoid or giant as a bonus action, this functions as the spell Hex cast as a 1st level spell. Once you have used this ability, you cannot use it again until completing a long or short rest.

Anklebiter: You may apply your Dexterity modifier to Athletics checks made to grapple, climb on, or shove targets of medium size or larger instead of strength. Creatures of size medium or larger do not gain Advantage on athletics checks made to Grapple or Shove you, and you may oppose such attempts with dexterity instead of strength.

Warg Raider: When riding a mount you control, when you use the attack action, you may direct your mount to attack with one of its natural attacks in place of making a weapon attack (if you have the Extra Attack feature, you may mix weapon and mount attacks up to your normal maximum). Any mount you control gains a bonus to its attack and damage rolls equal to your Proficiency modifier.

DarkKnightJin
2017-12-03, 02:53 AM

Thanks for the tip. I have no love for Beyond, as you might have guessed. So being able to get my mitts on those racial feats without having to get involved with that.. Again, thanks.

The Aasimar one is pretty damn powerful, though. Already got resistance to Radiant and Necrotic, and now to damage from spells and magical effects, too?
I mean, sure.. make my Aasimar Paladin of the Ancients idea kinda double up on something you can't stack..
On the flipside.. Now my Aasimar Paladin of Conquest can be a magic-tanking badass, too.

Feuerphoenix
2017-12-03, 02:39 PM
The good ones:

Tortle Protector: +1 more natural AC, to a flat 18, +1 Str or Wis, and if you have to reflex save can give half cover to others in 5 ft once a rest.

Sky Warden: Aarak - +1 Dex, perception training, expertise if sight based, dive bomb a person using a melee attack adding 1d6 to the damage

Like a Boss: Goblin, +1 dex, once per rest if you or someone in 5 ft are attacked, give the attack disadvantage. essentially you use someone as a human shield.

Dao Heritage: Earth Genasi: Natural armor of 13 + dex, +1 str or con, and detect magic at will.

Angelic protection: Aasimar: you have advantage on all saves vs spells and magic effects.

Is that AL legal stuff? because some of this stuff seems really out of place...like advantage on all saves vs spells. An Aasimar pally with high CHA becomes almost unaffectable...

Avigor
2017-12-03, 03:25 PM
I can't be the only one who is livid that they chose to separate out those 16 racial feats from the rest of Xanathar's... I can understand releasing a couple races (Tortle, Grung) separately, even releasing feats for them separately, but not including the Volo's and EE races in Xanathar's and instead separating them out into what is essentially tabletop DLC... right on the heels of the Battlefront EA BS nonetheless! :furious:

EDIT: Oh, and the fact that this was a pre-order bonus only through dndbeyond, not amazon where I'd ordered mine, just makes it worse!

Dudewithknives
2017-12-03, 04:04 PM
Is that AL legal stuff? because some of this stuff seems really out of place...like advantage on all saves vs spells. An Aasimar pally with high CHA becomes almost unaffectable...

I really doubt they are, they are official from the people of dndbeyond, which is overseen by wotc, but I do not think they are al legal.

MxKit
2017-12-03, 05:06 PM
As far as I can understand it, the Volo's racial feats being AL legal or not is a moot point, honestly. They're unusable in AL for another reason: the PHB +1 rule. Even if they were AL legal they'd be part of Xanathar's Guide, not Volo's Guide, and if you're playing a race from Volo's Guide you're already using your +1 and can't use any of the feats from Xanathar's.

That was probably their reasoning for separating it out in the first place, but I agree that it's incredibly stupid reasoning. Just let everyone who purchases Xanathar's Guide, or at least everyone who pre-ordered it no matter where they pre-ordered it from, get access to the Volo's racial feats, so that if they're playing in non-AL games they have those feats available to them. Having to pay extra -- for, as Avigor said, basically tabletop DLC -- feels even more soullessly corporate than normal.

Vasporos
2017-12-05, 05:22 AM
What does the D&D beyond version have for the goliath race :) ?

SovelsAtaask
2017-12-05, 07:12 AM
I feel like it's worth repeating that these feats are NOT produced by WotC and were made by the guys working for Curse.
They are the equivalent of your FLGS saying they'll let you see the owner's homebrew stuff if you preordered a book.

Zene
2017-12-05, 01:36 PM
The good ones:

Kobolds get flight as a half feat? ROFLMAO

Yeah several of these are even more ridiculous than elven advantage —which is pretty damn ridiculous already

No, not AL legal. I remember they announced that before it came out... I was disappointed, because I play AL and love Volo’s races.

Mith
2017-12-05, 01:44 PM
Based on the wording of "Like a Boss", does it also allow you to bodyguard someone as well? So it's not just sacrificing someone else to protect yourself.

Sigreid
2017-12-05, 01:46 PM
The small races one would apply to goblins and kobolds.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-05, 01:47 PM
The small races one would apply to goblins and kobolds.

I would agree if Kobolds and Goblins got the 25' speed like they should have.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-05, 01:48 PM
Based on the wording of "Like a Boss", does it also allow you to bodyguard someone as well? So it's not just sacrificing someone else to protect yourself.

You should be able to bodyguard, sure.

Sigreid
2017-12-05, 02:02 PM
I would agree if Kobolds and Goblins got the 25' speed like they should have.

I've only skimmed the racial feats but I don't recall there being a cap on how fast the race could run to take the feat.

Oramac
2017-12-05, 02:10 PM

I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

I can't be the only one who is livid that they chose to separate out those 16 racial feats from the rest of Xanathar's... I can understand releasing a couple races (Tortle, Grung) separately, even releasing feats for them separately, but not including the Volo's and EE races in Xanathar's and instead separating them out into what is essentially tabletop DLC... right on the heels of the Battlefront EA BS nonetheless! :furious:

EDIT: Oh, and the fact that this was a pre-order bonus only through dndbeyond, not amazon where I'd ordered mine, just makes it worse!

Agreed 100%. Livid is an apt description.

Dudewithknives
2017-12-05, 02:24 PM
I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Agreed 100%. Livid is an apt description.

Actually it was not WOTC at all, it was just they guys at DNDbeyond.

Those feats were not designed by JC or even MM, they were made by the head of DNDbeyond.

They are no more official than homebrew, it just happens to be found on the DNDBeyond site.

They are trying everything they can to get people to use their site but it honestly kind of sucks, and it is FAR too expensive.

Oramac
2017-12-05, 02:27 PM
They are trying everything they can to get people to use their site but it honestly kind of sucks, and it is FAR too expensive.

Which is kinda the point, honestly. If the site was worth using outside of their additional content, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-05, 02:43 PM
I've only skimmed the racial feats but I don't recall there being a cap on how fast the race could run to take the feat.

It's not, but isn't there a 5' speed increase with it? Which was supposed to bring these races back up to 'normal' speed? Goblins and Kobolds are already at 30' speed, and this would give them an additional 5' speed increase on top of that. They're short races, and the PHB short races all got a 5' speed penalty for being short. But not Goblins and Kobolds?

Sigreid
2017-12-05, 02:45 PM
It's not, but isn't there a 5' speed increase with it? Which was supposed to bring these races back up to 'normal' speed? Goblins and Kobolds are already at 30' speed, and this would give them an additional 5' speed increase on top of that. They're short races, and the PHB short races all got a 5' speed penalty for being short. But not Goblins and Kobolds?

Ah, yes. That would be why I would take it on a goblin and kobold. The quick little bugger would be terrifying.

Zerdal
2017-12-06, 12:15 PM
Kobolds get flight as a half feat? ROFLMAO
Yeah several of these are even more ridiculous than elven advantage —which is pretty damn ridiculous already

I feel like it's worth repeating that these feats are NOT produced by WotC and were made by the guys working for Curse.
They are the equivalent of your FLGS saying they'll let you see the owner's homebrew stuff if you preordered a book.

So, to sum it up:
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/226194/Expanded-Racial-Feats
1. These feats are poorly balanced.
2. They were not designed by WOTC and therefore are not legal for Adventurer's League.
3. They were use as a carrot on a stick, to make people preorder Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

In other words: meh... :smallannoyed:

Back on topic:
KENKU (REVISITED)

Avian Agility
Once per encounter, you don't provoke opportunity attacks when you leave out of an enemy's reach.
You can glide down to fall safely from any height.
The distance of your long jump is doubled.

Thoughts. It is balanced now, or too weak? Also, I would like to thank everyone for all contributions to the topic! If you don't mind, I''ll make a compilation of all ideas in the first post, to make them easier to find.

Feuerphoenix
2017-12-06, 03:30 PM
So, to sum it up:
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/226194/Expanded-Racial-Feats
1. These feats are poorly balanced.
2. They were not designed by WOTC and therefore are not legal for Adventurer's League.
3. They were use as a carrot on a stick, to make people preorder Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

In other words: meh... :smallannoyed:

Back on topic:
KENKU (REVISITED)

Avian Agility
Once per encounter, you don't provoke opportunity attacks when you leave out of an enemy's reach.
You can glide down to fall safely from any height.
The distance of your long jump is doubled.

Thoughts. It is balanced now, or too weak? Also, I would like to thank everyone for all contributions to the topic! If you don't mind, I''ll make a compilation of all ideas in the first post, to make them easier to find.

Now the feat seems pretty weak. Doing it only once and with only one enemy is pretty situational. And I could disengage anyway, so why bother and take this feat?

BrusLi
2017-12-11, 07:44 PM
Can anyone who purchased expanded racial feats tell me about Tabaxi - Feline Grace feat? :(

mormon_soldier
2017-12-11, 09:35 PM
Now the feat seems pretty weak. Doing it only once and with only one enemy is pretty situational. And I could disengage anyway, so why bother and take this feat?

What about splitting the difference and making it a bonus action? It doubles up on getting that ability from the rogue class, but it offers that agility to other classes as well.

Feuerphoenix
2017-12-12, 03:56 AM
Well keep in mind that using a bonus action for evasion etc is something special for the rogue class...giving it away as a feat, even only for one race is a pretty big deal. Maybe make it usable for an amount of times equal to your profiency modifier :)

Randomthom
2017-12-12, 04:32 AM
Just as good sure but the feat is much better than them.

An always active free disengage is crazy.

A rogue has to be level 2 and spend a bonus action.
A monk has to spend a ki point and I think a bonus action. Might just be the ki point.
A swashbuckler or person with mobile has to attack first and it only applies to that one target.

With that feat you could just walk through an army all you want and just stab important targets and there is nothing they could do about it.

Making a feat that is 100% better than multiple classes abilities that do the same thing or another feat that gives the same effect is a bad idea.

That would be like making a feat that just let someone make an extra attack each round that costs no action.

I'd agree that free disengage is a little OP, perhaps make it like a version of Cunning Action but for Disengage only (i.e. make it cost a bonus action).

Talamare
2017-12-12, 05:46 AM

So, like a Gnome?

Aett_Thorn
2017-12-12, 06:29 AM
So, like a Gnome?

A Gnome doesn’t get advantage to all saves, only the mental stats. They are still vulnerable to Fireballs, Fingers of Death, etc.

Talamare
2017-12-12, 06:33 AM
A Gnome doesn’t get advantage to all saves, only the mental stats. They are still vulnerable to Fireballs, Fingers of Death, etc.

So, like a Yuan Ti?