PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Endaku (Undead Monster) (Seeking input)

Briton
2017-12-04, 07:55 PM
Hey all, making another Homebrew monster (Group really loved the Bone Hunters I made last time), but this one i'm a little more iffy about. I was a bit more loose with this one. The idea behind this one is an unholy mixture of fey and necrotic energies. Comments, input, and advice are all welcomed.

Please note that the biggest part i'm unsure about is the rotting gaze.

http://78.media.tumblr.com/c63774750b7eae0e31cc72409b6f5c68/tumblr_nh934ajEfa1t8hf4ho1_500.jpg

Endaku
Large undead
Chaotic Evil

Armor Class 17 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 161 (19d10+57)
Speed 40 ft.

STR 16 (+3)
DEX 17 (+3)
CON 16 (+3)
INT 6 (-2)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 8 (-1)

Damage Vulnerability: Fire
Damage Immunities: poison, necrotic
Condition Immunities: exhaustion, poisoned
Senses: Darkvision 120 ft., passive Perception 20
Languages: abyssal, common, sylvan
Challenge 10 (5,900)

Rotting Aura: All plants within 30 feet of the Endaku begin to sicken and rot away. Living animals must roll a DC 17 Constitution saving throw upon entering the area, or become poisoned until leaving the area, rolling disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks.

Actions
Multi-attack Endaku makes two slam or two eye beam attacks
Slam Melee Weapon Attack +7 to hit, Reach 10 ft., Hit. 24 (7d6+3) Bludgeoning damage
Eye Beam: Ranged Weapon Attack +7 to hit., range 120 feet. Hit 13 (3d6+3) fire damage 3d6 necrotic damage
Rotting Gaze: (Recharge 5-6) Targets in a 10 foot radius in eyesight must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution Saving throw. On a failed save, target takes 72 (16d8) Necrotic Damage, or half on a successful save.

endlessxaura
2017-12-05, 09:47 PM
Rotting aura is worded weirdly: I have to leave and come back into range to redo the save and it's effectively permanent so long as I am in range. This means that a) I must bounce in and out of range until I make the save to engage it in melee and b) the monster can bounce me in and out of range until I'm poisoned again. I think you ought to follow the wording of frightful presence, but replace the condition with poisoned. This is the wording of Frightful Presence for an Adult Green Dragon.

Frightful Presence. Each creature of the dragon's choice that is within 120 feet of the dragon and aware of it must succeed on a DC 16 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the dragon's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.

Rotting Gaze is also fairly weird and pretty powerful. Why does it target a 10ft radius? Wouldn't it make more sense for it to work on a creature it gazes at, like a Basalisk or a Medusa?