PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New/Revised Weapon Style feats

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-07, 10:49 AM
5e has a bunch of feats for fighting with specific weapons. Unfortunately, that leaves a couple styles lacking in comparison, and two of them (Sharpshooter and GWM) are notably stronger than any other option. So... here are some revisions to existing options, and wholly new ones to patch the gaps. What do you think? Any styles I missed?

Blade Mastery
You've learned how to use a blade in ways that stagger the mind. When wielding a shortsword, longsword, greatsword, or rapier, you may take one of the three stances. You may change your stance as a bonus action.

Parrying Stance: When you are hit by a melee attack, you may use your reaction to roll 1d4 and add it to your AC, potentially turning the hit into a miss.
Aggressive Stance: Your first attack each round deals an extra 1d4 damage.
Opportunistic Stance: When making opportunity attacks, you may roll 1d4 and add it to your attack roll.

Bowman
When wielding a long or shortbow, you gain the following benefits:

You may use your bow as an improvised melee weapon with the Finesse tag, dealing 1d4 damage (for a shortbow) or 1d6 (for a longbow)
As a bonus action you may draw and notch extra arrows. For the remainder of your turn, your shots have half the normal range, but deal an extra die of weapon damage.
You may ignore the effects of partial cover and light or strong winds when making ranged weapon attacks.

Crossbow Expert
Unchanged

Defensive Duelist
Now works with all weapons

Einhander
When taking the Attack action with a weapon in one hand and nothing in your off hand, you may use a bonus action to attempt a Shove or Grapple, to gain +2 AC until the start of your next turn, or to make a Sleight of Hand check to interact with your foe.

Grappler
Prerequisite: Strength 13 or higher

+1 Str
If you hit a creature with an unarmed strike, whip, or flail, you may attempt to start a grapple as a bonus action.
You have advantage on attack rolls against a creature you are grappling.
You can use your action to try to pin a creature grappled by you. To do so, make another grapple check. If you succeed, you and the creature are both restrained until the grapple ends.

Fell Handed
When wielding an axe or a bludgeoning weapon, you gain the following benefits:

If you reduce an enemy’s hit points to zero, you may make an additional melee attack as a bonus action.
Whenever you have Advantage on a melee attack roll and hit with both dice, you can knock the target prone
Whenever you have Disadvantage on a melee attack roll and hit with only one die, the target takes damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Flail Mastery
“When wielding a flail or whip, you gain the following benefits:

As a bonus action, you may extend your reach by 5 feet until the start of your next turn.
If you use a Shove action and knock the target prone, you may immediate make a melee attack against them as a free action.

Great Weapon Master
Removed

Polearm Master
Also Works with Spears; requires weapon to be held in two hands

Sharpshooter
Removed

Shield Master
Unchanged

Spear Master

Tavern Brawler

+1 Str or Dex
You gain proficiency in Improvised weapons and unarmed strikes, and may treat such weapons as though they had the Finesse tag. Additionally, both have their damage die increased by one step (ie, 1-> 1d4, 1d4 -> 1d6, and so on)
When wearing no armor, you may treat your AC as though it was 12+Dex.
When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike or an improvised weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to shove it

Trowing Mastery

Double the range of thrown weapons
Do not take Disadvantage for attacking with a thrown weapon when an enemy is within 5ft.
You may draw a thrown weapon as part of the same action you use to attack with it.
After taking the Attack action, you may draw and throw a light thrown weapon as a bonus action, so long as you have at least one free hand

clash
2017-12-07, 11:46 AM
5e has a bunch of feats for fighting with specific weapons. Unfortunately, that leaves a couple styles lacking in comparison, and two of them (Sharpshooter and GWM) are notably stronger than any other option. So... here are some revisions to existing options, and wholly new ones to patch the gaps. What do you think? Any styles I missed?

Agile Fistfighter
You are a master of fighting without armor or weapons.

You gain +1 Dex.
Your unarmed attacks gain the Finesse tag, and deal 1d4 damage
When not wearing armor or carrying a shield, your base AC becomes 13+Dex.

Not sure about the ac improvement. It seems too strong for a half feat but too weak for a full feat.

Blade Mastery
When wielding a shortsword, longsword, greatsword, or rapier, you may use a reaction to gain one of the following benefits:

Gain a +1 bonus to AC until the start of your next turn
Gain a +1 bonus to hit until the start of your next turn
Make an opportunity attack with Advantage. You can only use this option if your opponent provokes normally.

You cant just use a reaction. It has to be a reaction to a trigger. What is the trigger for the first two bonuses? Also feats usually have a general benefit as one of their points.

Bowman
When wielding a long or shortbow, you gain the following benefits:

You may use your bow as an improvised melee weapon with the Finesse tag, dealing 1d4 damage (for a shortbow) or 1d6 (for a longbow)
As a bonus action and/or reaction, you may notch an extra arrow. The next shot you fire that turn has half the normal range, but deals an extra die of weapon damage.

Again the reaction doesnt seem right. It isnt meant to really be on turn action economy. This one seems weak. I would add a third bonus point as a general benefit.

Einhander
When taking the Attack action with a weapon in one hand and nothing in your off hand, you may use a bonus action to Dash, gain +2 AC until the start of your next turn, or make a Sleight of Hand check against your foe.

What is the sleight of hand check for? I would give a specific use for it.

Fell Handed
When wielding an axe or a bludgeoning weapon, you gain the following benefits:

If you reduce an enemy’s hit points to zero, you may make an additional melee attack as a bonus action.
Whenever you have Advantage on a melee attack roll and hit with both dice, you can knock the target prone
Whenever you have Disadvantage on a melee attack roll and hit with one die, the target takes damage equal to your Strength modifier.

Change wording of third point to "hit with only 1 die" otherwise seems fine

Flail Mastery
“When wielding a flail or whip, you gain the following benefits:

As a bonus action, you may extend your reach by 5 feet until the start of your next turn.
If you use a Shove action and knock the target prone, you may immediate make a melee attack against them as a free action.

There is no such thing as a "free action" I would just drop that ie "you may immediately make a melee attack against them"

Tavern Brawler
Unchanged

This seems odd alongside Agile Fistfighter

Trowing Mastery

Double the range of thrown weapons
Do not take Disadvantage for attacking with a thrown weapon when an enemy is within 5ft.
You may draw a thrown weapon as part of the same action you use to attack with it.
You may draw and throw a light thrown weapon as a bonus action, so long as you have at least one free hand

[/QUOTE]

This seems fine although I might limit the third point to when you make the attack action.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-07, 02:49 PM
Not sure about the ac improvement. It seems too strong for a half feat but too weak for a full feat.
It's basically a non-specific version of Dragon Hide in Xanathar's-- +1 to a stat, 13+Dex AC, and 1d4 unarmed. The only difference is that it lets you use Dex for stuff; sort of a Monk-in-a-can feat. Or Tavern Brawler with a defensive boost instead of the grapple... would it be better with 12+Dex AC and an additional flavorful option?

You cant just use a reaction. It has to be a reaction to a trigger. What is the trigger for the first two bonuses? Also feats usually have a general benefit as one of their points.
The general benefit is "pick one of these stances." I can reword it, I guess.

Again the reaction doesnt seem right. It isnt meant to really be on turn action economy. This one seems weak. I would add a third bonus point as a general benefit.
Hmm... with conventional Extra Attack, it's about on par with the bonus-action-for-another-shot feats-- spend an action, gain ~2 dice of damage. I was worried that "bonus action to get the benefits for the turn" would be too strong with things like the Hunter or Haste. I could throw in a more ribbon-y benefit.

What is the sleight of hand check for? I would give a specific use for it.
It's supposed to be like Fast Hands. I can fiddle with it.

Change wording of third point to "hit with only 1 die" otherwise seems fine

There is no such thing as a "free action" I would just drop that ie "you may immediately make a melee attack against them"
Yeah, okay.

This seems odd alongside Agile Fistfighter
Strength-unarmed and Dex-unarmed? I could maybe combine them, I guess. Tavern Brawler isn't terribly potent by itself...
[/QUOTE]

This seems fine although I might limit the third point to when you make the attack action.
Do you mean the fourth point? (If so, I think you're probably right)

clash
2017-12-07, 03:17 PM
It's basically a non-specific version of Dragon Hide in Xanathar's-- +1 to a stat, 13+Dex AC, and 1d4 unarmed. The only difference is that it lets you use Dex for stuff; sort of a Monk-in-a-can feat. Or Tavern Brawler with a defensive boost instead of the grapple... would it be better with 12+Dex AC and an additional flavorful option?

Oh haven't seen the dragon's hide in xanathar's, just the ua one. Ya if its the same feat then it is probably fine as is. Although dragonborn specifically dont give you a dex bonus as a race so it might be a little strong. I might make it 12+dex ac to be the same as studded leather and change the unarmed damage to instead increase your unarmed damage by one die size, making it sweet for those shadow monk/rogue mc which isnt as well supported right now.

I might alternatively combine it with tavern brawler as you mention. And give the choice of dex or strength for attacks. It could make a nice full feat if done right.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-07, 04:06 PM
Oh haven't seen the dragon's hide in xanathar's, just the ua one. Ya if its the same feat then it is probably fine as is. Although dragonborn specifically dont give you a dex bonus as a race so it might be a little strong. I might make it 12+dex ac to be the same as studded leather and change the unarmed damage to instead increase your unarmed damage by one die size, making it sweet for those shadow monk/rogue mc which isnt as well supported right now.

I might alternatively combine it with tavern brawler as you mention. And give the choice of dex or strength for attacks. It could make a nice full feat if done right.
Combine the two, maybe move the bonus-action grapple thing to Grappler where it belongs, and we get:

Tavern Brawler

+1 Str or Dex
You gain proficiency in Improvised weapons and unarmed strikes, and may treat such weapons as though they had the Finesse tag. Additionally, both have their damage die increased by one step (ie, 1-> 1d4, 1d4 -> 1d6, and so on)
When wearing no armor, you may treat your AC as though it was 12+Dex.
When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike or an improvised weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to shove it

Grappler
Prerequisite: Strength 13 or higher

+1 Str
If you hit a creature with an unarmed strike, whip, or flail, you may attempt to start a grapple as a bonus action.
You have advantage on attack rolls against a creature you are grappling.
You can use your action to try to pin a creature grappled by you. To do so, make another grapple check. If you succeed, you and the creature are both restrained until the grapple ends.

How's that look?

clash
2017-12-07, 04:40 PM
I like those. They are feats I would actually take.

endlessxaura
2017-12-08, 05:13 PM
Einhander
When taking the Attack action with a weapon in one hand and nothing in your off hand, you may use a bonus action to Dash, gain +2 AC until the start of your next turn, or to make a Sleight of Hand check to interact with your foe.

Thematically, the Dash action is weird. Instead, I would make it like 2-weapon fighting, but with open-hand techniques only. Say, "you may use a bonus action to Shove or Grapple your opponent with an open hand" or something like that. The other stuff seems fitting and interesting.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-08, 05:59 PM
Thematically, the Dash action is weird. Instead, I would make it like 2-weapon fighting, but with open-hand techniques only. Say, "you may use a bonus action to Shove or Grapple your opponent with an open hand" or something like that. The other stuff seems fitting and interesting.
Good idea. That makes single-handing a very flexible style (you can do a lot of things with a bonus action), but... hopefully not too good at any one thing. The shove is slightly worrysome...

Blackbando
2017-12-10, 02:51 PM
Only thing I'd like to point out is that this new Tavern Brawler on a lizardfolk means a monk can have 1d8 unarmed strikes by 4th level. That's pretty damn scary.

Morty
2017-12-10, 02:59 PM
Have you considered a feat for versatile weapons? That would make the property more than occasionally useful.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-10, 03:57 PM
Only thing I'd like to point out is that this new Tavern Brawler on a lizardfolk means a monk can have 1d8 unarmed strikes by 4th level. That's pretty damn scary.
On the other hand, most of the rest of the feat is useless-- Monks already get Dex-based unarmed attacks, the unarmored AC is doubly useless on a Lizardfolk Monk, and Monks aren't going to be great at shoving any way you slice it. I don't think a slight damage boost is worth sweating at the best of times, and this is pretty well balanced out.

Have you considered a feat for versatile weapons? That would make the property more than occasionally useful.
Not a bad idea. Hmm... the problem is that a lot of what I'd like to see with such a feat is already in Einhander. The only really versatile-specific thing I can think of is some bonus for switching from one-handing to two-handing and back again... maybe something like

Bastard Swordsman
You know how to take full advantage of the different grips offered by a versatile weapon. If you make a one-handed attack immediately after making a two-handed attack, your attack has Advantage. If you make a two-handed attack immediately after making a one-handed attack, you deal +1d6 damage.

Or does that look too strong?

nirurin
2017-12-10, 07:07 PM
I have literally spent the last couple days looking into my own 'Dagger Mastery' style feat for a campaign I am in, due to my preferred fighting style for my character (Rapier + Dagger) being essentially pointless. Crossbow Mastery makes throwing knives irrelevent, and Duel Wielder only gives you a bonus if you wield two Rapiers (which seems clumsy to me).

My ideas have been -

Dagger Mastery
Thanks to extensive practice with knives of all sizes, you gain the following benefits:
• Drawing and Stowing Daggers does not expend an item interaction.
• When you use the Attack action and attack with a one-handed weapon, you can use a bonus action to attack with a Dagger you are holding.
• Alternatively, you may choose to use your bonus action to perform a Disarming Strike. Make a melee attack roll contested by the target's Strength (Athletics) check or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check. If the attacker wins the contest, the defender takes the attack damage, and drops the item. If the defender wins the contest, they take no damage and do not drop the item.

If you assume a character like Bard with Extra Attack, this would allow you to throw 3 daggers per turn, the same as a hand-crossbow with the crossbow expert feat. However, daggers are weaker and more limited due to ammunition. So the trade off is the extra ability to perform a melee disarm move. Thinking of it like a Parrying Dagger.

Still seems a little weak in comparison to other feats - Crossbows are much stronger, Shield Mastery shoving prone is better than disarm (which only works on enemies with weapons), so I'm considering adding +1AC to it, or maybe just +1Dex. Would then be a balance between Duel Wield, Crossbow Expert and Shield Mastery. Weaker than all of them, but fitting for the fighting style.
Alternatively, I would have to improve the throwing stats of the daggers. Perhaps make daggers 1d6 when thrown, or say that critical hits do triple damage (hitting the eyes/weak spots).

Amnoriath
2017-12-10, 07:54 PM
Not a bad idea. Hmm... the problem is that a lot of what I'd like to see with such a feat is already in Einhander. The only really versatile-specific thing I can think of is some bonus for switching from one-handing to two-handing and back again... maybe something like

Bastard Swordsman
You know how to take full advantage of the different grips offered by a versatile weapon. If you make a one-handed attack immediately after making a two-handed attack, your attack has Advantage. If you make a two-handed attack immediately after making a one-handed attack, you deal +1d6 damage.

Or does that look too strong?

I have a similar feat made for a player of mine except that it triggers from different situations using the bonus action. If they would miss with a two-handed strike they can release a hand as a bonus action to make the next attack with advantage. Conversely if they take damage they grasp it with their hand to add another damage die to the roll. They also get a +1 attack with one hand and +1 damage in two. This way they can't juggle the weapon gaining those big bonuses all the time. He loves the feat and offensive versatility.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-10, 08:13 PM
I have a similar feat made for a player of mine except that it triggers from different situations using the bonus action. If they would miss with a two-handed strike they can release a hand as a bonus action to make the next attack with advantage. Conversely if they take damage they grasp it with their hand to add another damage die to the roll. They also get a +1 attack with one hand and +1 damage in two. This way they can't juggle the weapon gaining those big bonuses all the time. He loves the feat and offensive versatility.
Ooh, I really like that. Mind if I steal?

Amnoriath
2017-12-10, 10:32 PM
Ooh, I really like that. Mind if I steal?

Not at all, as long as you give credit. ;)

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-11, 08:02 AM
Not at all, as long as you give credit. ;)
Something like this, say?

Bastard Swordsman
You've learned to take full advantage of the flexibility a Versatile weapon grants you. When wielding such a weapon in one hand, you get +1 attack; when wielding it in two hands, you get +1 damage. In addition, you learn two special techniques, each of which must be used as a bonus action:

Rapid Recovery: If you miss while attacking with two hands, you may use this technique to gain Advantage on your next one-handed melee attack before the end of your next turn.
Punishing Follow-Up: If you successfully strike a foe with a one-handed attack, you may use this technique to gain an additional weapon damage die on your next successful two-handed melee attack before the end of your next turn.

Credit: Amnoriath

Morty
2017-12-11, 11:46 AM
I like this one too. It introduces variance and switching bonuses, which feels unique to a hand-and-half style.

SwordMeow
2017-12-11, 03:46 PM
re:OP

Blade Master: explain what a stance is a bit, also parrying is egregiously stronger than the others, most of the time you can just sit on this and not change it
Bowman: in 5e they are properties, not tags; alright this is too OP - longbows have 150 range without dis, standing back 75 feet and dealing 2d8 on a ranged normally (req only a BA) is too much; archery fighting style really already does overcome half cover (half cover adds 2 ac, archery adds 2 to-hit) so I'd recommend changing most of this feat. Archery/ranged weapons feats are hard.
Defensive Duelist really doesn't need the buff, unless you intentionally make yourself surrounded its rare that you are hit so many multiple times in the course of a round that the AC doesn't make a difference
Einhander should say other hand instead of off; the wording is strange but this is alright
Grappler doesn't fix any of its PHB issues, I'd recommend taking out the +1 strength, making it stronger, and not restraining yourself - basically rethink this feat a lot
Fell Handed, it's strange to call out axes; so the disadvantage clause wouldn't work if you actually hit, you have to miss to deal more damage, that's a bit reverse
Flail Mastery, there are no "free actions" in 5e. The wording for that second bullset: "If you shove a creature prone, you can immediately make one melee weapon attack with a flail against them." I'm not fond of this because knocking someone prone already 'does give you a replacement attack' because you roll two attacks and take the better when attacking a prone target
Was not the intention to buff other weapons to the level of GWM and SS? Why remove them then?
Spear Mastery, what is a threatened range? Look at sentinel wording for coming into your range; actually this is just sentinel + PAM zombie'd together, I'd recomment the UA Feats spear mastery be unchanged here
Besides wording problems, tavern brawler is OK
T**r**owing Mastery is OK

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-11, 04:18 PM
Blade Master: explain what a stance is a bit, also parrying is egregiously stronger than the others, most of the time you can just sit on this and not change it
Stance is just fluff for "you can gain one of these benefits at a time." Swords are a weapon with a lot of flexibility, and I wanted the Parrying Stance is roughly equal to Defensive Duelist at low levels (when it's at its weakest), and doesn't scale. It probably is better than Aggressive Stance, I admit, which could perhaps use a buff. Opportunistic Stance doesn

Bowman: in 5e they are properties, not tags; alright this is too OP - longbows have 150 range without dis, standing back 75 feet and dealing 2d8 on a ranged normally (req only a BA) is too much; archery fighting style really already does overcome half cover (half cover adds 2 ac, archery adds 2 to-hit) so I'd recommend changing most of this feat. Archery/ranged weapons feats are hard.
I was scaling this against Crossbow Mastery, which gives you an extra attack for d6+Dex as a bonus action. That's better than +1d8, and about on par with +2d8 (assuming you have Extra Attack)... assuming you don't have any effects like Hunter's Mark. The rest is mostly fluffy stuff.

Defensive Duelist really doesn't need the buff, unless you intentionally make yourself surrounded its rare that you are hit so many multiple times in the course of a round that the AC doesn't make a difference
Multiattack is real common; regardless, all I did was remove an annoying restriction.

Grappler doesn't fix any of its PHB issues, I'd recommend taking out the +1 strength, making it stronger, and not restraining yourself - basically rethink this feat a lot
Removing the restraining yourself is good, and I added the "start as a bonus action" bit from Tavern Brawler. What else would you suggest adding?

Fell Handed, it's strange to call out axes; so the disadvantage clause wouldn't work if you actually hit, you have to miss to deal more damage, that's a bit reverse
It's "deal a little damage if you narrowly miss"-- the idea, I think from the UA, was that your opponent blocks or the attack fails to break through their armor, but it hits hard enough that they're still a bit staggered.

Flail Mastery, there are no "free actions" in 5e. The wording for that second bullset: "If you shove a creature prone, you can immediately make one melee weapon attack with a flail against them." I'm not fond of this because knocking someone prone already 'does give you a replacement attack' because you roll two attacks and take the better when attacking a prone target
Not really? I don't think it's particularly strong even with that.

Was not the intention to buff other weapons to the level of GWM and SS? Why remove them then?
I want to take them to PAM/CM/Warcaster level. The -5/+10 options are routinely figured as among the most broken bits in 5e, and my houserules allow -Prof/+2*Prof as a standard option for all weapons, so there wasn't much left of them. Archers get Bowman or Crossbow Mastery and heavy weapon users get Fell Handed as more interesting replacements.

Amnoriath
2017-12-12, 12:12 AM
Something like this, say?

Bastard Swordsman
You've learned to take full advantage of the flexibility a Versatile weapon grants you. When wielding such a weapon in one hand, you get +1 attack; when wielding it in two hands, you get +1 damage. In addition, you learn two special techniques, each of which must be used as a bonus action:

Rapid Recovery: If you miss while attacking with two hands, you may use this technique to gain Advantage on your next one-handed melee attack before the end of your next turn.
Punishing Follow-Up: If you successfully strike a foe with a one-handed attack, you may use this technique to gain an additional weapon damage die on your next successful two-handed melee attack before the end of your next turn.

Credit: Amnoriath

The mechanics are right but 5e would have it formatted differently.

Waffle_Iron
2017-12-12, 09:37 AM
On the other hand, most of the rest of the feat is useless-- Monks already get Dex-based unarmed attacks, the unarmored AC is doubly useless on a Lizardfolk Monk, and Monks aren't going to be great at shoving any way you slice it. I don't think a slight damage boost is worth sweating at the best of times, and this is pretty well balanced out.

A multi class monk-rogue could get a die increase and access to sneak attack with their regular punches. I don't think it breaks anything, but worth mentioning.

Also, monks get a lot out of your spear master feat. At low levels, the spear damage is a good bit higher than the unarmed die, and later by the way it's worded, they'll get a die size step on their martial arts while wielding a spear. I dig it.

Amnoriath
2017-12-12, 07:49 PM
On another note though spear mastery here is too powerful. It functions like a better polearm mastery when a spear is a polearm. Polearm mastery in general is regarded as a really powerful feat.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-12-13, 07:31 AM
On another note though spear mastery here is too powerful. It functions like a better polearm mastery when a spear is a polearm. Polearm mastery in general is regarded as a really powerful feat.
Yeah fair. I've removed it; between PAM and the new Versatile feat, there's plenty to make spears viable.