PDA

View Full Version : Durians: Are they meant to smell of pineapple and jackfruit?

Togath
2017-12-10, 03:03 AM
So I found out a grocer nearby where I live sells durians(among other interesting fruits), and I've been thinking of trying them since they're so famous/infamous... but it does make me wonder. Are they supposed to smell fruity, like a cross between pineapple and jackfruit?
Like, I've always heard they reek, but these ones smell awesome.:smallconfused:
Is it just certain breeds that have an odd odor? Or is there something off with these?

golentan
2017-12-10, 04:50 AM
So I found out a grocer nearby where I live sells durians(among other interesting fruits), and I've been thinking of trying them since they're so famous/infamous... but it does make me wonder. Are they supposed to smell fruity, like a cross between pineapple and jackfruit?
Like, I've always heard they reek, but these ones smell awesome.:smallconfused:
Is it just certain breeds that have an odd odor? Or is there something off with these?

My experience is that some people think they reek, and some think they don't. Maybe it's a gene thing?

Fri
2017-12-11, 10:03 PM
The smell might not actually *bad* per se, it doesn't necessarily smell like rotten meat or something, at most they smell like badly fermented pruno, but they're very *strong.* That's the reason why it's banned everywhere. If you bring them in a bus, everyone's underwear will smell like them for weeks, and everyone's bottle of water ten cars away will smell like them.