PDA

View Full Version : low level spell scrolls with permanent effects

Quoz
2017-12-11, 10:48 AM
I was trying to figure out how to add a familiar to my non-casting character for help and scouting shenanigans. After ruling out multi-classing and feats, I had the oh-duh moment: buy a spell scroll. Or have the party wizard make one, it only takes a day of downtime and minimal gold. Even by fairly strict magic item restriction, 1st and 2nd level spell scrolls should be fairly easy to acquire in most settings.

So what other permanent effects can a non-caster get from low level spell scrolls? The first ones I thought of are Find Familiar and Find Steed. Greater Find Steed would theoretically work as well but 4th level spells would require a generous GM.

A ring of spell storing can make this even crazier, removing the need for scrolls and letting you pass self-ranged buffs around the party in ways the rules definitely did not predict for.

Has anyone tried this in practice? Any good ideas for spells or combos that this enables?

Percy_Ikana
2017-12-11, 10:57 AM
I was trying to figure out how to add a familiar to my non-casting character for help and scouting shenanigans. After ruling out multi-classing and feats, I had the oh-duh moment: buy a spell scroll. Or have the party wizard make one, it only takes a day of downtime and minimal gold. Even by fairly strict magic item restriction, 1st and 2nd level spell scrolls should be fairly easy to acquire in most settings.

So, you cannot use spell scrolls unless the spell is on your class list, meaning, that as a non caster, spell scrolls are off limits to you, at least by RAW

My rule is that anyone can attempt to use a spell scrolls, with a check equal to 10+spell level, made with that attribute needed to cast the spell (int for wiz, Wis for Clerics, etc)

Avonar
2017-12-11, 11:04 AM
Alternatively, don't forget about the Magic Initiate feat. This would allow you access to Find Familiar once per day.

Lord8Ball
2017-12-11, 11:53 AM
So, you cannot use spell scrolls unless the spell is on your class list, meaning, that as a non caster, spell scrolls are off limits to you, at least by RAW

Well, that puts a stop to my idea of having your imp cast find familiar to summon a raven which summons a raven over and over again. :smallsigh: No Infinite familiars blotting out the sky for me.

Aaron Underhand
2017-12-11, 12:34 PM
One thing worth remembering is that Mage Initiate makes you a spellcaster of the appropriate type. So if your Rogue wants Mage Armour once/day + say Mage hand and Minor illusion he is also now a wizard and can attempt to use a find familiar scroll (albeit he is a zero level wizard and so has to use the DMG rules for casting scrolls above his level)

Quoz
2017-12-11, 01:10 PM
From the DMG:

Most scrolls are spells stored in written form, while a few bear unique incantations that produce potent wards. Whatever its contents, a scroll is a roll of paper, sometimes attached to wooden rods, and typically kept safe in a tube of ivory, jade, leather, metal, or wood. A scroll is a consumable magic item. Whatever the nature of the magic contained in a scroll, unleashing that magic requires using an action to read the scroll. When its magic has been invoked, the scroll can't be used again. Its words fade, or it crumbles into dust. Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scroll and attempt to activate it.

Some magic items allow the user to cast a spell from the item. The spell is cast at the lowest possible spell level, doesn't expend any of the user's spell slots, and requires no components, unless the item's description says otherwise. The spell uses its normal casting time, range, and duration , and the user of the item must concentrate if the spell requires concentration. Many items, such as potions, bypass the casting of a spell and confer the spell's effects, with their usual duration. Certain items make exceptions to these rules, changing the casting time, duration, or other parts of a spell. A magic item, such as certain staffs, may require you to use your own spellcasting ability when you cast a spell from the item. If you have more than one spellcasting ability, you choose which one to use with the item. If you don't have a spellcasting ability-perhaps you're a rogue with the Use Magic Device feature- your spellcasting ability modifier is +0 for the item, and your proficiency bonus does apply.

I initially thought only casters could use scrolls too. I think we may be collectively remembering a past edition. It's right there in the DMG though - if you have a language, you can cast a spell from a scroll. You are just treated as having no spellcasting modifier for any of it's effects if you are not a spellcaster. This is not a problem for the summoning spells listed. The only disadvantage to a true caster is you have to find another scroll if your summoned creature dies, or if you unsummon the steed.

Lord8Ball
2017-12-11, 01:31 PM
This means that the infinite familiar strat is possible lmao. Well, time to go get my birds to drop firebombs, alchemist fires and rocks from the sky while their horse's rats wreck havoc on the food supply and horses drag spiked nets behind them as they rush through the town. This is a diviners dream. Goodbye clairvoyance, arcane eye and hello to you using familiar seeing through a familiars eyes to get a super vision. Dear pact of the chain warlocks you have become omniscient. (EDIT) the future post proved that this strat wasn't possible. :(

Pharaon
2017-12-11, 01:33 PM
A spell scroll bears the words of a single spell, written in a mystical cipher. If the spell is on your class's spell list you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell without having to provide any of the spell's components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible.

If the spell isn't on your class's spell list, you're out of luck.

Lord8Ball
2017-12-11, 01:39 PM
How does this work with creatures who have racial spells such as the imp which can use some spells from the wizards spell list?

Stan
2017-12-11, 01:45 PM
Another option is to spend a feat to cast rituals. There are several useful wizard rituals. Alarm and Tiny Hut make sleeping easier.

Tanarii
2017-12-11, 01:50 PM
From the DMG:

I initially thought only casters could use scrolls too. I think we may be collectively remembering a past edition. It's right there in the DMG though - if you have a language, you can cast a spell from a scroll. You are just treated as having no spellcasting modifier for any of it's effects if you are not a spellcaster. This is not a problem for the summoning spells listed. The only disadvantage to a true caster is you have to find another scroll if your summoned creature dies, or if you unsummon the steed.The spell scrolls rule is more specific. (Edit: DMG page 200 per Pharaon's post above.)

Also UMD can be used with non-spell scrolls, but not with spell scrolls. Nor with anything that requires attuned by a spellcaster. Which is the suck.

Toofey
2017-12-11, 02:15 PM
Another option is to spend a feat to cast rituals. There are several useful wizard rituals. Alarm and Tiny Hut make sleeping easier.

I second this heartily.

Kind of a side note, but IMO every non-wizard who gets spell slots should take ritual wizard, especially non-wizard single class casters. Gaining access to new Wizard rituals as you gain levels is insanely useful no matter how much your DM ends up charging you for them. Do this.

So... A lot of the ideas the OP has to make this work seem to be wrong out of the gate. This game wants you to do this sort of thing using feats or by Multi-classing. Do that, the scroll idea is a non-starter unless your DM is specifically cool with it. figure out what cost is easiest for your concept to swallow and take it. Obviously I am partial to taking Ritual Caster. (i would recommend considering unseen servant for your other spell)

SharkForce
2017-12-12, 12:08 AM
From the DMG:

[a bunch of stuff that the boards didn't copy]

I initially thought only casters could use scrolls too. I think we may be collectively remembering a past edition. It's right there in the DMG though - if you have a language, you can cast a spell from a scroll. You are just treated as having no spellcasting modifier for any of it's effects if you are not a spellcaster. This is not a problem for the summoning spells listed. The only disadvantage to a true caster is you have to find another scroll if your summoned creature dies, or if you unsummon the steed.

the first quote about scrolls is for protection scrolls (and theoretically any other scrolls other than spell scrolls that they may release in the future).

that second one would apply, except that the specific rules on spell scrolls clearly state who can even attempt to use them. if you could use them, then that second quote would apply.

lunaticfringe
2017-12-12, 12:38 AM
How does this work with creatures who have racial spells such as the imp which can use some spells from the wizards spell list?

Use their racial spell list if you are allowing them to use scrolls, they have no class levels or class spell lists. Also an Imp's Invisibilty is a special action not a spell, at least imho/interpretation.