PDA

View Full Version : What's with the american fetish for kosher salt?

thorgrim29
2017-12-18, 04:59 PM
Whenever I watch a cooking video or read a recipe from the US they almost always specify kosher salt for the recipes. However that's not really a thing anywhere else to my knowledge (except in jewish kitchens I guess). Is there a particular reason for that that anyone can think of?

tensai_oni
2017-12-18, 05:09 PM
Kosher salt has nothing to do with it being kosher or not. Basically all salt is kosher. Kosher salt has large, irregular grains:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_salt

tyckspoon
2017-12-18, 08:35 PM
When used for finishing salt or garnishing, kosher salt is considered more visually appealing and easier to taste due to the larger flakes; it helps your diner identify the dish as already seasoned, so they're less likely to dump another tablespoon in there before they ever actually taste it. It's also easier to see and to distribute by hand, which is helpful if your seasoning directions are 'apply a generous pinch of salt' rather than 'mix in 1 teaspoon of salt.'

I think at some point some influential chef/recipe book writer/tv personality/whatever tried to convince people it tasted better, too, or was 'healthier' because it was 'chemical free' compared to iodine-fortified table salt, but I'm pretty sure that's nonsense.

(There is some taste difference between sea salts from different locations with different mineral balances and salts mined from various different places in the world, but that doesn't have a lot to do with the grind/shape of the crystals, which is what kosher salt is usually referring to.)

Togath
2017-12-18, 08:41 PM
Kosher salt also has very thin grains that stick to moist things well(which is the main reason I usually use it, since it's the same price as normal salt).

Dr.Samurai
2017-12-18, 08:54 PM
There is no american fetish. There is simply the way we do things, and the wrong way.

:smallbiggrin::smalltongue::smallwink:

thorgrim29
2017-12-18, 08:58 PM
Ok, I have now learned way more than I ever wanted to know about salt... Not sure why it took me that long to see what Kenji had to say on the subject (http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ask-the-food-lab-do-i-need-to-use-kosher-salt.html).

That explains why it might be better to use it for some things and since it's pretty much never worse to use it people default to kosher salt for consistency. That makes sense.

But my main point was why does that seem to be an american thing? I looked around on food sites from different countries. Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ransay use sea salt, french websites just say salt and sometimes finish with fleur de sel (which is amazing on grilled meats and stews btw), same for Ricardo, who is THE food guy here in quebec. If I spoke more languages then english and french I'd look at other cultures too.

WarKitty
2017-12-18, 09:40 PM
I'm wondering if some of that is just the american tendency to grab foodstuffs from any of our various immigrant populations and incorporate them into our diet. The average american has no concept of preserving the purity of their cuisine from outside influences - if it tastes good, dish it up!

BWR
2017-12-19, 03:31 AM
I'm wondering if some of that is just the american tendency to grab foodstuffs from any of our various immigrant populations and incorporate them into our diet. The average american has no concept of preserving the purity of their cuisine from outside influences - if it tastes good, dish it up!

That is probably universal. when we moved to Norway some 30 years ago, tex-mex food was unknown to people in general, nevermind Indian, Thai or whatever. Even pizza and hamburgers were only a few years old. Our first year here someone asked my mother if she'd ever had rice for dinner. Nowadays the concept of 'Friday tacos' is A Thing, and getting foods other than cabbage, potatoes and carrots (cauliflower and broccoli only in season) is actually possible.
The one exception to the explosion of variety is Christmas dinner, which is on the whole intensely traditional.

factotum
2017-12-19, 03:39 AM
But my main point was why does that seem to be an american thing? I looked around on food sites from different countries. Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ransay use sea salt

Isn't sea salt pretty much the same thing, e.g. salt with larger grains than regular? We just have a different name for it, which is also why you'll never see Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsay using an eggplant--because they'd both call that vegetable an aubergine.

Razade
2017-12-19, 03:48 AM

"Preserving their cuisine from outside influences" isn't even a thing. No culture, at any time or anywhere, has done that. Hell, what you consider "European" or even "Indian" food wouldn't even exist without the deviations you cite. Tomatoes in anything outside of Mexican food (itself heavily influenced by...not Mexican food). Nope. Those were an American thing. How about anything spicy? All those curries people like because of the heat? Guess what. Wouldn't exist without mixing of cultural food and foods not native to your area. Hot peppers didn't exist outside of the America's until the Spanish took them back to Europe. Hungarian Goulash? Nope, not something that existed before the 1500's.

So when you say "purity of cuisine" you're just buying into a meme. There is no pure cuisine.

LordEntrails
2017-12-19, 06:40 PM
... Nowadays the concept of 'Friday tacos' is A Thing, ...
Uh no, don't you know it's "Taco Tuesday". How could you even have a Friday Tacos thing? It doesn't rhyme!

"Preserving their cuisine from outside influences" isn't even a thing. No culture, at any time or anywhere, has done that. ...
So when you say "purity of cuisine" you're just buying into a meme. There is no pure cuisine.
Don't tell France that...
http://www.cooksinfo.com/french-bread-law-1993
https://www.champagne.fr/en/terroir-appellation/appellation/recognition-of-the-champagne-appellation
https://books.google.com/books?id=6rBaBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA167&lpg=PA167&dq=french+food+purity+laws&source=bl&ots=Sm_Jbhzo-7&sig=GivysfecvdQaLQcFn7tBkEGADJk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJjKqEnpfYAhWKuI8KHUP8BM4Q6AEIYjAM#v=on epage&q=french%20food%20purity%20laws&f=false

Or Germany... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

Maybe they ren't effective, but nations have and continue to try and do exactly what you say isn't even a thing.

Tvtyrant
2017-12-19, 06:47 PM
Uh no, don't you know it's "Taco Tuesday". How could you even have a Friday Tacos thing? It doesn't rhyme!

https://www.champagne.fr/en/terroir-appellation/appellation/recognition-of-the-champagne-appellation
https://books.google.com/books?id=6rBaBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA167&lpg=PA167&dq=french+food+purity+laws&source=bl&ots=Sm_Jbhzo-7&sig=GivysfecvdQaLQcFn7tBkEGADJk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJjKqEnpfYAhWKuI8KHUP8BM4Q6AEIYjAM#v=on epage&q=french%20food%20purity%20laws&f=false

Maybe they ren't effective, but nations have and continue to try and do exactly what you say isn't even a thing.
You don't need laws to make people do what they are already inclined to do. There is no need for a "stick gum under things" law, or an "eat too much on Holidays" law. The existence of such laws instead shows there is a sizable portion who are not inclined to do that.

beargryllz
2017-12-19, 09:33 PM
It's gluten free

LordEntrails
2017-12-19, 10:40 PM
You don't need laws to make people do what they are already inclined to do. There is no need for a "stick gum under things" law, or an "eat too much on Holidays" law. The existence of such laws instead shows there is a sizable portion who are not inclined to do that.
But in democracies, you at least need a sizeable amount of support to enact such laws. So, at least some people in some countries want their to be cultural purity in their foods.

Yes, over long enough times and with trade and exchange like we have today, such concepts are hard to maintain and of, imo, dubious value. But, cultural purity in many things, food, languages, traditions are just some of the things that some people try to enforce.

I'm not arguing right or wrong, but to say it doesn't exist is not accurate.

No brains
2017-12-19, 11:17 PM
One cooking channel on Youtube, Binging With Babbish, specified that kosher salt's texture makes it easier to 'pinch' so you can feel and see how much salt is going into your food. I can't quantify how 'good' he is, but his videos are entertaining at least.

https://youtu.be/1AxLzMJIgxM?t=6m23s

BWR
2017-12-20, 02:56 AM

Norway likes to do things its own, often wrong, way. Like showing Dinner for one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1v4BYV-YvA)around Christmas rather than New Years.

Razade
2017-12-20, 03:32 AM

They're not even the same thing. You're conflating two things. Warkitty is talking about the "purity" of a cuisine in the sense that...you don't get your Texan food in with your Mexican food and then get Tex-Mex. As an example. Food Purity laws, as you'll note on all your examples, was a (and continues to be) a quality control issue and..as the German Laws...methods to control prices of things used in a variety of dishes. They have very little, if anything, to do with trying to fend of foreign influence.

They ALSO only relate to people trying to SELL food in market. Not people in restaurants or their own home kitchen.

PersonMan
2017-12-20, 03:39 AM

Except that wasn't about keeping German beer "pure" from foreign ingredients, it was about keeping brewers from using all the food crops for beer and making bread super expensive, and regulating breweries in general. It even says so in the article you linked.

Razade
2017-12-20, 03:47 AM
Except that wasn't about keeping German beer "pure" from foreign ingredients, it was about keeping brewers from using all the food crops for beer and making bread super expensive, and regulating breweries in general. It even says so in the article you linked.

None of them actually have anything to do with keeping food "pure.

The first one, the bread one, only has something to do with what can classify as a certain type of bread for sale to keep a consistant and easily marketable commodity.

The second one is about how Champagne is protected. The name that is. And how to make Champagne. The issue is that that "law" doesn't actually effect everyone. Americans can make Champagne any way they want and still call it Champagne for example. It's an interesting story actually (https://vinepair.com/wine-blog/loophole-california-champagne-legal/).

The third one isn't even a purity law. It's a Food Saftey regulations.

So yeah. None of the ones linked actually have anything to do with anything I was talking about in reference to Warkitty.

Anonymouswizard
2017-12-20, 05:02 AM
Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ransay use sea salt

Kosher salt also isn't really a thing over here (I'm British, just like Oliver and Ramsay). In the house I'm currently living in we have two kinds of salt, table salt for salt shakers and baking and sea salt for cooking and for salt grinders (yes, we use pepper grinders for salt).

Isn't sea salt pretty much the same thing, e.g. salt with larger grains than regular? We just have a different name for it, which is also why you'll never see Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsay using an eggplant--because they'd both call that vegetable an aubergine.

I think kosher salt is sort of the size in between sea salt and table salt?

Ramsay is also weird, in that as a TV personality he very much changes which words he uses depending on if he show he's doing is American or British. So on the American shows he'll say 'shrimp' or 'zucchini', but in his British shows and on his YouTube cooking videos it's the right names prawns and courgettes.

Baator, the name 'eggplant' sounds weird to me, because I've been calling it an aubergine all my life. Maybe it's because over here we still have some more language stolen from the old enemy (what, you thought those wars were about land or nobility? We just realised they have better food and language than us).

Spacewolf
2017-12-20, 07:16 AM
Kosher salt also isn't really a thing over here (I'm British, just like Oliver and Ramsay). In the house I'm currently living in we have two kinds of salt, table salt for salt shakers and baking and sea salt for cooking and for salt grinders (yes, we use pepper grinders for salt).

I think kosher salt is sort of the size in between sea salt and table salt?

Ramsay is also weird, in that as a TV personality he very much changes which words he uses depending on if he show he's doing is American or British. So on the American shows he'll say 'shrimp' or 'zucchini', but in his British shows and on his YouTube cooking videos it's the right names prawns and courgettes.

Baator, the name 'eggplant' sounds weird to me, because I've been calling it an aubergine all my life. Maybe it's because over here we still have some more language stolen from the old enemy (what, you thought those wars were about land or nobility? We just realised they have better food and language than us).

Wouldn't that be sea and rock salt I don't think table salt has a proper definition does it?

Also the names of prawns and shrimp are reversed in the US or something? Because they're definitely different types of water crustaceans in the UK.

Anonymouswizard
2017-12-20, 07:55 AM
Wouldn't that be sea and rock salt I don't think table salt has a proper definition does it?

Also the names of prawns and shrimp are reversed in the US or something? Because they're definitely different types of water crustaceans in the UK.

I think we stopped getting in actual rock salt after the last house. By table salt I meant the fine grains sold as such, instead of any particular type of salt.

Quick research says that the names are arbitary, so I don't know what shrimps are known as in the US (UK born and bred here). To me it's all prawns, because who would order a shrimp cocktail.

(I also would rant about chips versus crisps versus french fries, but I honestly can't be asked to get as annoyed about it as I do prawns and courgettes.
Although I did have a good laugh asking my partner what they call chips over in France already knowing it's pommes.)

Keltest
2017-12-20, 10:34 AM
I think we stopped getting in actual rock salt after the last house. By table salt I meant the fine grains sold as such, instead of any particular type of salt.

Quick research says that the names are arbitary, so I don't know what shrimps are known as in the US (UK born and bred here). To me it's all prawns, because who would order a shrimp cocktail.

(I also would rant about chips versus crisps versus french fries, but I honestly can't be asked to get as annoyed about it as I do prawns and courgettes.
Although I did have a good laugh asking my partner what they call chips over in France already knowing it's pommes.)

Shrimps are shrimps, and lots of people have shrimp cocktails, when they can afford them. There isn't really any other name for them here that I'm aware of until you start getting into the specific kinds of shrimps.

ve4grm
2017-12-20, 10:37 AM

He's also far more polite and happy on his British shows. They're a lot better for it.

Anonymouswizard
2017-12-20, 11:34 AM
Shrimps are shrimps, and lots of people have shrimp cocktails, when they can afford them. There isn't really any other name for them here that I'm aware of until you start getting into the specific kinds of shrimps.

You don't walk into a pub and order a shrimp cocktail! Plus it sounds weird, like you're ordering a small cocktail. Prawn cocktail makes infinitely more sense.

He's also far more polite and happy on his British shows. They're a lot better for it.

Yeah, it also makes him appear more professional. But the difference is startling, in the US shows it seems like he'll yell at people for the slightest mistake, in the British version of Kitchen Nightmares it looks like his first step is always to calmly explain what he thinks is wrong and then sort it out, while the American version he seems to skip straight to shouting, and it just doesn't feel right.

I will say though that I do like him on the American version of Masterchef, because he seems to actually be fair, giving praise when needed and telling people off when something is wrong.

ve4grm
2017-12-20, 11:52 AM
You don't walk into a pub and order a shrimp cocktail! Plus it sounds weird, like you're ordering a small cocktail. Prawn cocktail makes infinitely more sense.

Well, yes you do. Or you would, if anyone actually ordered shrimp cocktails on this side of the atlantic.

Technically, we're all wrong. Shrimp and Prawns are actually different species, but look and taste similar. Some areas lumped them all together and called them all prawns, while others did the opposite and called them all shrimp. And in some places, small ones are shrimp and big ones prawns, despite the fact that you can find big shrimp and small prawns as well.

So it's all wrong, nobody's right, and shrimp are disgusting anyways. :smallwink:

Also, I recently discovered that Prawn Cocktail is a fairly common crisp flavor over there? Which, well, blech.

I will say though that I do like him on the American version of Masterchef, because he seems to actually be fair, giving praise when needed and telling people off when something is wrong.

Agreed.

Keltest
2017-12-20, 12:37 PM
Yeah, it also makes him appear more professional. But the difference is startling, in the US shows it seems like he'll yell at people for the slightest mistake, in the British version of Kitchen Nightmares it looks like his first step is always to calmly explain what he thinks is wrong and then sort it out, while the American version he seems to skip straight to shouting, and it just doesn't feel right.

Id wager a lot of that is in the editing more than any actual difference in behavior for him. The American team chooses to emphasize the shouting and drama, because we have bad taste when it comes to reality TV over here.

ve4grm
2017-12-20, 02:17 PM
Id wager a lot of that is in the editing more than any actual difference in behavior for him. The American team chooses to emphasize the shouting and drama, because we have bad taste when it comes to reality TV over here.

Definitely, though I'm sure he plays it up for the camera as well. He knows what the producers want from him, and gives it to them.

Peelee
2017-12-20, 02:31 PM

First off, you're right, you don't walk into a pub and order a shrimp cocktail. I'd be terrified of anyone who did. Bars serve drinks, not food.

Second, if I ordered a meal advertised with prawns and I got shrimp, I would be mildly upset. Prawns aren't shrimp. Shrimp aren't prawns.

Razade
2017-12-20, 02:41 PM
First off, you're right, you don't walk into a pub and order a shrimp cocktail. I'd be terrified of anyone who did. Bars serve drinks, not food.

Pubs aren't bars. They're not the same thing. Pubs and Bars are different. U.S bars and U.K/U.K-sphere (Australia/New Zealand) Pubs are different establishments.

Second, if I ordered a meal advertised with prawns and I got shrimp, I would be mildly upset. Prawns aren't shrimp. Shrimp aren't prawns.

Except ya know, if you're in the U.K where they call shrimp prawns and they'd be advertising selling prawns as...what they call them...prawns. Considering that neither shrimp nor prawn are a scientific name a prawn isn't a prawn and a shrimp isn't a shrimp. They're just vernacular. Prawn isn't a taxa, neither is shrimp.

Peelee
2017-12-20, 02:50 PM
Pubs aren't bars.
In America, they are. Which was kind of the point I was making. Which you yourself seem to understand:

Except ya know, if you're in the U.K.
Exactly.

Razade
2017-12-20, 02:58 PM
In America, they are.

I mean....that's not true either...as a bartender, I've worked in pubs that are fashioned after the U.K style and I've worked in bars. They're not the same "In America". Hell, they're not the same in Ohio or Arizona or Colorado where I've worked. Pubs in Phoenix sell food. Bars in Phoenix don't. Pubs and bars aren't the same thing state to state so they're certainly not the same thing whole-country'round.

Which was kind of the point I was making. Which you yourself seem to understand:

Exactly.

Yeah...except that I'm pretty sure Anonymouswizard was talking about the U.K. So ya know. He would (or she) order food at a pub and call them prawns so you going "yeah but not in AMERICA" just...comes off a tad jingoistic.

Peelee
2017-12-20, 05:02 PM
Yeah...except that I'm pretty sure Anonymouswizard was talking about the U.K. So ya know. He would (or she) order food at a pub and call them prawns so you going "yeah but not in AMERICA" just...comes off a tad jingoistic.

If he said, "you don't walk into a restaurant and order an eggplant parmesan," my response would have been along the same lines. Yes, in UK you don't, but in US you do. When he's mentioning what Americans call things, it's not unfair to point that that yes, they are indeed called that in America.

Anonymouswizard
2017-12-20, 05:56 PM
Also, I recently discovered that Prawn Cocktail is a fairly common crisp flavor over there? Which, well, blech.

Yeah, it's got a somewhat tangy sweet taste compared to most flavours, very distinctive because it's modeled after the sauce, not the prawns/shrimp.

Sure, note that they also decided to note have Gordon narrate, which I think is a shame.

A pub isn't a bar. If you went into a pub that didn't serve food here it would be considered really weird. Sure, they might not serve food during the evening, but there's a specific type of food considered 'pub grub' here (generally high in fat and served with chips), and many pubs will do a Sunday roast as well, there's a great pub for both beer and roasts about twenty minutes walk from my current residence.

I agree that a bar selling food (barring bar snacks) would be weird, but a pub is more than the bar. Sure, generally when I'm in a pub it's just for drinks and maybe a bowl of chips, but I've eaten full meals in them at least once a year.

My university was located about three minutes away from a pub that served sushi. It was considered a bit weird, but was a popular spot because the sushi was good and the beer was significantly better than the union bar (which was also significantly more noisy), it wasn't uncommon for me to be down there with debate society as we continued a debate until we were kicked out, with members occasionally ordering sushi if they remembered to budget for it.

Anyway, my point is, if somebody from the UK talks about a pub they're very much not talking about an American bar. There's a very distinct group of people who'll say the words 'I don't like bars, but I like pubs' and everybody in the UK will get exactly what they mean. Bars are considered places where you go entirely to get sloshed, a pub is somewhere where you know the landlord and barman, go to hang out with friends or for a Sunday roast, and is the focal point of at least three communities. Sure, people do get gazebooed in pubs, but that's not the point of them.

As has been said, scientifically it's a distinction without a difference.

Anyway, this all started off from what was essentially two jokes about how I find some US names for stuff weird for no good reason (the only reason being 'that's not what I'm used to').

Rynjin
2017-12-20, 06:06 PM
I've never been in a bar that doesn't serve SOME kind of food. Usually it's cheap easy to prepare food like quesadillas and cuban sandwiches, and it usually sucks, but it's there.

I only go to bars to shoot pool though so maybe there's an overlap there.

Peelee
2017-12-20, 06:33 PM
As has been said, scientifically it's a distinction without a difference.

Anyway, this all started off from what was essentially two jokes about how I find some US names for stuff weird for no good reason (the only reason being 'that's not what I'm used to').

Scientifically there's little difference, absolutely. In America, prawns are generally much larger than shrimp. I honestly don't know if it's a purely marketing thing, or if they actually serve biological prawns vs biological shrimp, but it's been pretty consistent in my experience.

Also, if we're joking around about countries naming things weirdly for no good reason... is that a thing you really want to start, being from the UK and all? :smalltongue:

Also, I rarely go to bars, so I'll totally cop to being wrong on that front. The few I've been to have had no food whatsoever (they may have had beer nuts or something, but i dunno. Never was brave enough to ask).

Algeh
2017-12-20, 06:34 PM
On bars serving food: in the USA, this can also be a state-to-state difference because of local laws.

Some states have laws requiring food sales at drinking establishments. In my state historically (it wouldn't surprise me if this has changed within the last 10-20 years as craft brewing and wineries both became a bigger part of the state economy, or if it does change in the future for the same reason) our liquor control commission had a rule that in order to get an on-premises liquor license you had to serve a certain amount of hot food. If I remember correctly, you could either prove this by listing your menu (which had to have a certain amount of specifically hot food options) or by showing that a certain percentage of your total sales (or possibly profits, I have no idea) were from the sale of food, in which case they really no longer cared what your menu was since you were clearly selling food and making it work.

I remember a local dive bar that pretty much specialized in microwaved frozen pizza and similar "tv dinner" items to meet this requirement. If you actually wanted food, you probably were eating at a different restaurant or bar down the street. (They have since remodeled to have about 20 taps rather than 6 and a fancy hot dog menu instead of frozen pizza. I still don't go there if I actually want food, but perhaps other people do.)

My state tends to have these sorts of "but you have to serve food to do that" rules, which is also why we have "lottery delis" and other oddities. (I've been told that at least one of our strip clubs has food good enough that it has a takeout window for people who want the food without the nudity, but it's a steak place and I'm a vegetarian so I've never bothered to follow up on that.)

Peelee
2017-12-20, 06:36 PM
On bars serving food: in the USA, this can also be a state-to-state difference because of local laws.

That makes sense. Alabama is weird when it comes to laws and alcohol.

Lord Joeltion
2017-12-20, 06:59 PM
"Preserving their cuisine from outside influences" isn't even a thing. No culture, at any time or anywhere, has done that. Hell, what you consider "European" or even "Indian" food wouldn't even exist without the deviations you cite. Tomatoes in anything outside of Mexican food (itself heavily influenced by...not Mexican food). Nope. Those were an American thing. How about anything spicy? All those curries people like because of the heat? Guess what. Wouldn't exist without mixing of cultural food and foods not native to your area. Hot peppers didn't exist outside of the America's until the Spanish took them back to Europe. Hungarian Goulash? Nope, not something that existed before the 1500's.

On the other side of the spectrum, there are also newborn foods that spawn by importing the recipe rather than the ingredient(s). I think that constitutes most of the "local" N/S American food (either continent) that was created after the Colonies. In my country we have a "curry" (rather, a "gravy") that is used as seasoning for barbecues and meats in general. Story goes a foreign Englishman wanted to add some seasoning to his meat, but being no real "curry" at hand, he prepared a mixture with what was grown by the locals. Funny thing is: none of the ingredients were actually Indian or from Indian cuisine (unless you count garlic as particularly Indian). Or American, for that matter. I think a lot of my country's cuisine is actually typical Italian/Spanish foods radically changed because of ingredient constraints.

I thought the broader definition was that pubs usually served foods while bars do not :smallconfused:

I was told that in UK (or maybe just England), a "real pub" had something to do with brewing your own mead; but I'm not sure how much of that info was part of a prank/sellout. It was a guy impersonating Robin Hood so...:smalltongue:

Keltest
2017-12-20, 09:43 PM
Most bars in America will sell food of some kind. It wont necessarily be good food, just something to help soak up the alcohol a bit to decrease the likelihood of somebody hurting themselves. I don't think anybody actually goes to a bar for food unless they also specifically advertise themselves as a restaurant of some kind (a local establishment calls it self "The Arena Bar and Grill", for example)

Lord Joeltion
2017-12-20, 09:50 PM
Most bars in America will sell food of some kind. It wont necessarily be good food, just something to help soak up the alcohol a bit to decrease the likelihood of somebody hurting themselves. I don't think anybody actually goes to a bar for food unless they also specifically advertise themselves as a restaurant of some kind (a local establishment calls it self "The Arena Bar and Grill", for example)
By "food" I was meaning a cooked meal, not just anything you can eat. I wouldn't expect to find nuggets in a bar, but I would expect to find some fry food on a pub; for instance. Olives, chips, peanuts, crackers, all those I would expect to be found on either of them.

Razade
2017-12-21, 03:22 AM
By "food" I was meaning a cooked meal, not just anything you can eat. I wouldn't expect to find nuggets in a bar, but I would expect to find some fry food on a pub; for instance. Olives, chips, peanuts, crackers, all those I would expect to be found on either of them.

"Nuggets" is exactly what you'd expect to find in a bar to be honest. At least in the states. Something quick and greasy and easy to cook.

Maelstrom
2017-12-21, 05:04 AM
I was told that in UK (or maybe just England), a "real pub" had something to do with brewing your own mead; but I'm not sure how much of that info was part of a prank/sellout. It was a guy impersonating Robin Hood so...:smalltongue:

Heh, not mead but Ale ;)

ve4grm
2017-12-21, 10:35 AM
Yeah, it's got a somewhat tangy sweet taste compared to most flavours, very distinctive because it's modeled after the sauce, not the prawns/shrimp.

That's far less disgusting sounding, thanks.

Though I shouldn't talk. Canada is the country that looked at the Bloody Mary (drink) and said "You know what would make this great? Clams!"
(The Caesar, essentially a Bloody Mary made with Clamato juice.)

A pub isn't a bar. If you went into a pub that didn't serve food here it would be considered really weird. Sure, they might not serve food during the evening, but there's a specific type of food considered 'pub grub' here (generally high in fat and served with chips), and many pubs will do a Sunday roast as well, there's a great pub for both beer and roasts about twenty minutes walk from my current residence.

I agree that a bar selling food (barring bar snacks) would be weird, but a pub is more than the bar. Sure, generally when I'm in a pub it's just for drinks and maybe a bowl of chips, but I've eaten full meals in them at least once a year.

We have a fair number of British-/Irish-style pubs in Canada. I have one within a 5 minute walk from work which I get lunch at regularly, generally without getting any alcohol.

thorgrim29
2017-12-21, 02:01 PM
That's far less disgusting sounding, thanks.

Though I shouldn't talk. Canada is the country that looked at the Bloody Mary (drink) and said "You know what would make this great? Clams!"
(The Caesar, essentially a Bloody Mary made with Clamato juice.)

And then adding a five course meal on top of the thing in trendy places. I've seen ones with steak skewers, bacon, a crab claw and leg, nordic shrimp and an oyster on top.

ve4grm
2017-12-21, 02:28 PM
And then adding a five course meal on top of the thing in trendy places. I've seen ones with steak skewers, bacon, a crab claw and leg, nordic shrimp and an oyster on top.

I've seen one with a literal full bacon cheeseburger, skewered and sat on top of the glass.

...actually that might have been a Bloody Mary? It was an image online, so I can't be sure.

Lord Joeltion
2017-12-21, 02:53 PM
Heh, not mead but Ale ;)

Yeah, my bad. Belgium changed my beer preferences a lot. Once you learn about honey beer, you never go back :smallfrown:

Knaight
2017-12-21, 04:24 PM
This also explains the colonization of India, with absurd national pride being what causes moronic statements like "India invented curry; Britain perfected it" to be made after the fact.

In America, they are. Which was kind of the point I was making. Which you yourself seem to understand:

I'm in Colorado, which is a bit of a microbrewery capital (a significant fraction of the bars in town are actually the tasting rooms of breweries), and it's pretty common for bars to have food. If the term "pub" is used it goes from pretty common to effectively guaranteed.

I'm guessing that this is a case where Colorado and Alabama culture diverge. By which I mean it's one of many cases where Colorado just has a better culture than Alabama.:smalltongue:

I wouldn't necessarily expect to find nuggets in a bar (where they're fairly standard for a pub) but it wouldn't be surprising. Sticking to good food within a close biking radius at bars for me there's burgers, chicken strips, fish & chips, sandwiches, nachos, salads, onion rings, fries, chili, and most notably some really good empanadas.

Peelee
2017-12-21, 10:13 PM
I'm guessing that this is a case where Colorado and Alabama culture diverge. By which I mean it's one of many cases where Colorado just has a better culture than Alabama.:smalltongue:

Look, you may have "culture," and "style," and "a functioning economy," but we, sir, have excellent sweet tea.

Also a NASA center that built the moon rocket and world class medical research facilities that is on the cusp of curing diabetes. What now, Mr. Air Force Academy?

:smallcool:

The Fury
2017-12-21, 10:27 PM
I've been told that when baking challah, you need to use Kosher salt or the dough won't rise. I can't bake yeast breads to save my life though, so I have no idea if this is true or not. For my own part, I prefer sea salt.

I've never been in a bar that doesn't serve SOME kind of food. Usually it's cheap easy to prepare food like quesadillas and cuban sandwiches, and it usually sucks, but it's there.

I only go to bars to shoot pool though so maybe there's an overlap there.

Though sometimes there's the odd dive that actually serves really good pub burgers!

Lord Joeltion
2017-12-21, 11:18 PM
Also a NASA center that built the moon rocket and world class medical research facilities that is on the cusp of curing diabetes. What now, Mr. Air Force Academy?

But you will never top Gun. :smalltongue:
Wait, that's California... dammit.

I've been told that when baking challah, you need to use Kosher salt or the dough won't rise. I can't bake yeast breads to save my life though, so I have no idea if this is true or not. For my own part, I prefer sea salt.

Which is odd, because any salt prevents yeast from growing (but only when it's too much). Maybe it needs to be kosher because it's a kosher bread, so we need to keep ethnic purity? Is your yeast racist? :smallconfused:

The Fury
2017-12-21, 11:32 PM
Which is odd, because any salt prevents yeast from growing (but only when it's too much). Maybe it needs to be kosher because it's a kosher bread, so we need to keep ethnic purity? Is your yeast racist? :smallconfused:

Y'know, for the longest time I just assumed that I was just bad a baking yeast breads. (I find pies a lot easier.) I guess it turns out that I can't bake yeast breads because yeast is racist.

In honesty though, I don't know why it works like that or even if it works like that. I learned that when someone from a local culinary school told me. If I were able to get the hang of yeast breads in general, and challah in particular, I might be able to offer some concrete proof on this.

WarKitty
2017-12-21, 11:37 PM

Though sometimes there's the odd dive that actually serves really good pub burgers!

Pizza's a common one too.

The Fury
2017-12-21, 11:41 PM
Pizza's a common one too.

True, though I still haven't found a bar that serves surprisingly really good pizza. I don't doubt that there is one out there somewhere.

factotum
2017-12-22, 02:57 AM
This also explains the colonization of India, with absurd national pride being what causes moronic statements like "India invented curry; Britain perfected it" to be made after the fact.

Who on earth says that? The only Indian curry that was definitely invented in Britain is chicken tikka masala, as far as I know, and that stuff can take a long jump off a short pier as far as I'm concerned--it's absolutely revolting. Give me a decent madras or bhuna any day.

Algeh
2017-12-24, 02:32 AM

This is not true. Back when I was in grad school, I used to make challah whenever I had too many eggs, and it rose just fine with regular table salt. I've always had pretty good luck with most kinds of baking, though.

My understanding is that Kosher salt is called that because the larger grains make it better for some part of the Kosher-mandated butchering or meat-handling process, which involves salt in some way. I am a non-Jewish vegetarian, so I don't know a whole lot about the various Kosher meat rules beyond knowing that it's a thing and where to go around here to buy it, but there are a specific set of things that need to happen or not happen during processing for meat to be considered Kosher.

WarKitty
2017-12-24, 03:16 AM
This is not true. Back when I was in grad school, I used to make challah whenever I had too many eggs, and it rose just fine with regular table salt. I've always had pretty good luck with most kinds of baking, though.

My understanding is that Kosher salt is called that because the larger grains make it better for some part of the Kosher-mandated butchering or meat-handling process, which involves salt in some way. I am a non-Jewish vegetarian, so I don't know a whole lot about the various Kosher meat rules beyond knowing that it's a thing and where to go around here to buy it, but there are a specific set of things that need to happen or not happen during processing for meat to be considered Kosher.

The tl;dr is that kosher meat has to have the blood removed. This is performed by salting the meat. Larger crystals are preferred so they stay on the surface of the meat.

Lord Joeltion
2017-12-26, 08:30 PM
Y'know, for the longest time I just assumed that I was just bad a baking yeast breads. (I find pies a lot easier.) I guess it turns out that I can't bake yeast breads because yeast is racist.

In honesty though, I don't know why it works like that or even if it works like that. I learned that when someone from a local culinary school told me. If I were able to get the hang of yeast breads in general, and challah in particular, I might be able to offer some concrete proof on this.
Maybe it's just a preference for the larger salt drops. Other than that, I don't think there's anything chemical in common salt that would affect the yeast. Or the flavour/texture of any bread in general

AFIK, the variables for making a nice fluffy dough (of any kind) is threefold:
-Temperature (using water too hot would kill the yeast, water too cold would slow the process a lot)
-Seasoning (as I said, too much salt kills the yeast; certain spices -and sugar- promote its growth rate somewhat)
-Storage (in a warm enclosed space is always better; dough is basically a petri dish for yeast)
There's really not much more to it.

Honest Tiefling
2018-01-08, 03:11 PM
It could also be a matter of application. From what I understand, you really don't want iodine in salt meant for pickling or brining because it'll taste all weird. I couldn't honestly tell you if there is a difference between table salt and sea/kosher salt, but some people have claimed to not like table salt for that chemical taste. Others just like the big ol' flakes of salt. That being said, Iodine is a very necessary supplement. Please eat it somewhere.

But my main point was why does that seem to be an american thing? I looked around on food sites from different countries. Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ransay use sea salt, french websites just say salt and sometimes finish with fleur de sel (which is amazing on grilled meats and stews btw), same for Ricardo, who is THE food guy here in quebec. If I spoke more languages then english and french I'd look at other cultures too.

I don't know if this is true in other places, but in the states sea salt also lacks iodine. Sea salt also can come in bigger flakes that are sometimes like the kosher salt so the difference is really rather moot in the states.

Lord Joeltion
2018-01-10, 10:43 AM
It could also be a matter of application. From what I understand, you really don't want iodine in salt meant for pickling or brining because it'll taste all weird. I couldn't honestly tell you if there is a difference between table salt and sea/kosher salt, but some people have claimed to not like table salt for that chemical taste. Others just like the big ol' flakes of salt. That being said, Iodine is a very necessary supplement. Please eat it somewhere.

But isn't iodine also harmful when consumed in greater quantities than "normal"? If so, I think the not pickling/brining case also makes a lot more sense (since the concentration is considerably greater). At least in my family, we only use table salt for regular salting, but prefer the more "pure" kinds for anything that requires a greater quantity, mostly to avoid the additives (and bc of the taste maybe, but there's always the concern for health too). AFIK, you don't need that much daily Iodine anyway (but it is true that regular food doesn't naturally contain enough iodine).

Peelee
2018-01-10, 10:44 AM
But isn't iodine also harmful when consumed in greater quantities than "normal"?

Imean, that's kind of true for everything.

factotum
2018-01-10, 11:43 AM

Including water and oxygen, which are generally considered vital for life. :smallsmile:

Honest Tiefling
2018-01-10, 04:38 PM
But isn't iodine also harmful when consumed in greater quantities than "normal"?

Well, technically speaking, yes. But as others have pointed out, anything in overly large quantities is going to kill you pretty good. Iodine however, is a VERY NECESSARY SUPPLEMENT that will prevent goiters which is probably not the worse thing to happen to you, but it's certainly not medically recommended, either.

I greatly suspect that at the point you're chowing down on enough iodized salt to have issues with iodine, your diet probably has waaaaaaay more pressing problems.

Lord Joeltion
2018-01-15, 10:17 AM
:smallannoyed:

Including water and oxygen, which are generally considered vital for life. :smallsmile:
:smallmad:

Well, technically speaking, yes. But as others have pointed out, anything in overly large quantities is going to kill you pretty good. Iodine however, is a VERY NECESSARY SUPPLEMENT that will prevent goiters which is probably not the worse thing to happen to you, but it's certainly not medically recommended, either.

Yes, but once you are speaking of about quantities measured in micrograms (https://paleoleap.com/iodine-much-much/) it's extremely easy to fall on the other side of the trend.

I mean, there's a reason doctors talk about hypervitaminosis every once in a while and the "real" doctors :smallbiggrin: wouldn't recommend nonchalant use of vitamin supplements. When I was taught in school about those conditions, I remembered Iodine was briefly discussed too; except that IIRC, it's rarer than the cases of having too much vitamins

I greatly suspect that at the point you're chowing down on enough iodized salt to have issues with iodine, your diet probably has waaaaaaay more pressing problems.

I wouldn't be so sure. For all intents and purposes, iodine is equivalent to vitamin/mineral supplements in regular diet; and as it is the case with most vitamins; it all depends on more variables than just the diet (what you eat) alone. Absorption, medication(s) and body retention, are all variables to be considered. But I digress.

My point is that NaCl is one of the safest substances to abuse* (just drink enough water and it will "go off") because of how efficient is the body to dispose of it quickly enough before it causes enough harm. Other substances, not so much. I'm not sure about iodine, but if hyperthyroidism caused by iodine is a condition at all, my guess is the body isn't just as good.

*In a single take. Not in daily doses.

The link was just for quick reference of recommended doses. I'm assuming "healthy doses" vary wildly for each legislation so it would be pointless to bring accurate doses for iodine anyway.