PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Mystic source (Ki/Sorcery point feat)

Flikis
2017-12-20, 09:40 AM
With the shadow sorcerer making it offical and giving an alternative to the darkvision in magical dakness cast using it's own ability, giving us a more thematical way then warlock when combining with the monks way of the shadow. With that I mean that the way of the shadow uses shadow energies as does the sorcerer. With that I figured that by spending a feat one could combine the Ki/sorcery points into one pool. For instance like this:

Mystic source
Ki points and Sorcery points can be spent interchangebly for abilities that use those points.

Of course, this is to shamelessly work for a character idea I like without needing to touch the warlock and getting a patron that wouldn't work for my idea. But with that said I think it is less powerful then warlocks darkvision for the same amount of levels as it is only for self created magical darkness done by thiese points and not cast by spells, own or others. In exchange for that, the character could also use ki-points to metamagic.

What I'm asking is this: Is there anything that could be abused horribly by implementing such a feat known to you guys? Not only shadow origin and shadow path, but sorc/monk multiclassing in general.

demonslayerelf
2017-12-20, 09:53 AM
Others can probably think of bigger reasons, but the one I notice is that the character gets more or less unlimited 5th or lower level spells every day.

Monks get Ki back on a short rest, and Sorc. can make spell slots out of sorcery points. Take a short rest, and you get some spells back, then take another short rest, and now you're pretty charged up, especially if you don't have 6th or higher spells, because then you're actually just fully charged.

clash
2017-12-20, 10:40 AM
Basically what demonslayerelf said, you have probably seen the term coffeelock floating around on the forums. This feat is a more direct approach to that. Even if you are just using it to cast metamagic though, with no abuse of the system every monk level gives you effectively 3 sorcery points per day so its a good way to boost you meta magic fast.

Flikis
2017-12-20, 04:45 PM
Oh, actually I hadn't seen the cofeelock to be honest. I had even forgotten about the sorcery points to spell slot ability. (derp)
I can see that being a problem using ki points to get spellslots so yeah that wouldn't fly with any DM I know, myself included.

If we exclude flexible casting from the abilities allowed to be powerd by ki points, is it viable then?

SkipSandwich
2017-12-26, 03:02 PM
I've said it before, but the only issue with the coffeelock is the wording on converting sorcery points to "bonus spellslots" which can be held indefinately. If you simply change the wording such that Ki points can be spent either for metamagic OR to cast spells directly instead of using spell slots, you bypass the stockpiling issue that makes coffeelocks so disruptive, as you are now properly sacrificing your high-end spellcasting in exchange for better staying power on your low-end spells and metamagic.