PDA

View Full Version : Equinar - Awakened Horse

kreytor
2007-08-21, 10:40 PM
Ok the following is a first draft of a player race type of character. It is based off of the idea of casting awaken on horses. As background the Equinar were created by a nature god to help in an ancient war. They have since adapted and become there own creature.

Basically the following is a Heavy Warhorse awakened, but as if it had the intelligence from a young age. Thus full skill points for its Hit Dice.

Equinar
Large Magical Beast (Augmented Animal)
Hit Dice: 6d8+18 (45 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+12
Attack: Hoof +7 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +7 melee (1d6+4) and bite +5 melee (1d4+2)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills: Jump +6, Listen +5, Spot +5, Survival +6
Feats: Multi-Attack, Dodge, Mobility
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Solitary, company (5–8), troop (8–18 plus 1 leader of 2nd–5th level), or tribe (20–150 plus 30% noncombatants plus 10 3rd-level sergeants, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 1 leader of 5th–9th level)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard 50% coins
Alignment: Usually Neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: —

These animals are similar to heavy horses but are trained and bred for strength and aggression. A heavy warhorse can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check.

Carrying Capacity: A light load for a heavy warhorse is up to 300 pounds; a medium load, 301–600 pounds; and a heavy load, 601–900 pounds. A heavy warhorse can drag 4,500 pounds.

EQUINARS AS CHARACTERS
A equinar druid is usually a tribe’s designated leader and speaker. Centaur characters possess the following racial traits.

+8 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +6 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma.
Large size. –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.
Space/Reach: 10 feet/5 feet.
A equinar's base land speed is 50 feet.
Lowlight Vision.
Racial Hit Dice: A equinar begins with four levels of animal, which provide 6d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +5, Ref +5, and Will +2.
Racial Skills: A equinar's animal levels give it skill points equal to 9 x (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Jump, Listen, Spot, and Survival.
Racial Feats: A equinar's animal levels give it three feats.
+4 natural armor bonus.
Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Gnome, Halfling, Elven, Dwarven.
Favored Class: Ranger.
Level adjustment +1.

Intelligent creatures who hire themselves out as mercenaries. Unable to put on armor they rely on their partner to help with equipping them. Often the terms of service are one year, although some have sworn oaths of service. The pay is normally used to help equip the Equinar. A Equinar community is very mobile preferring to graze on lands they have purchased. Some Equinar communities have formed close ties with villages and will share the lands. A Equinar warband can be quite fearsome usually containing warriors and druids. Equinars purchase equipment they can not make from merchants. The Empire allows the Equinar to own lands under a treaty which states one in ten young equinar males join a special military unit for three years. Equinar communities occasionally have other awakened animals or even trees.

Equinar mercenaries are highly prized by military leaders. When a well trained warrior and equinar go into battle they are formidable foes.

All equinars have an Equinar Stone which allows them to cast Unseen Servant 3x a day. They use this most commonly to put on or take off armor or for various mundane tasks. Equinar Wizards often have this spell and have learned to make the stones.

$uicidal $qurl
2007-08-21, 10:50 PM
Nice, but i think that the level adjustment needs to be higher. Its stats seem way overpowered for 1LA

F.H. Zebedee
2007-08-21, 10:56 PM
That's totally a +2 LA, I'd say.

Though I wouldn't object to playing one. Equinar monk for the win!

kreytor
2007-08-22, 07:02 AM
I thought about making it a +2 and I might but since it has no real arms or hand and can't wield a weapon or cast somantic spells it seemed like it needed a break somewhere. This race I see as more of a Cohort or NPC race. Although a player actually playing one would be unique.

Thrym
2007-08-22, 07:41 AM
First off, cool idea :smallsmile:

To the LA...
I'd keep the +1 LA, it is not even very strong for that. After all, you have six animal HD. That's pretty bad and a huge disadvantage all in itself, no matter what class you play.

Vhaidara
2007-08-22, 07:50 AM
...This is quite possibly the weirdest player race ever, yet I love it.