PDA

View Full Version : Underground sugar market codes

Meepwizard
2017-12-23, 01:56 PM
In the empire(of my home brew campaign) sugar was banned for th simple fact that it makes people fat and lazy, two of the players are sugar dealers(recently) and I need as many sugar/baking themed codes you all can come up with

SpoonR
2017-12-23, 02:57 PM
Heh. :smallcool:
"Glass" and related words, from spun sugar glass. Maybe one pane is one kilo, and modifiers for sugar products. Stained glass for candies, doorpane for brownies (wood & brownie color, its a stretch), greenhouse glass for cinnamon sugar?

Tea (or whatever the local drink is) for what most people drank when sugar was allowed.

Mastikator
2017-12-23, 03:16 PM
Honey. Syrup. Brown (crystal, unrefined brown sugar). Cane (refined white sugar).

There are lots of different kinds of sugar, they should all be sold at different prices with different "street names"

Faily
2017-12-23, 05:19 PM
Crystal.
Snow (especially for powdered sugar).
Snowflakes (sugar-cubes?).
Brown gold (unrefined brown sugar).
Honey stars.
Tar (for molasses).
Liquid gold (for syrup).

Nifft
2017-12-23, 06:11 PM
"Cake Flour".

"Special Salt".

Quartz.

Rock.

PhoenixPhyre
2017-12-23, 06:37 PM
I can't really contribute as to names, but I have a related anecdote.

I was DM'ing a group, and one particular teenager, when they got to the "big city" wanted to buy drugs. A dwarf, from the sticks. He and some of the party went down to the docks and found someone who would offer drugs. The dealer, seeing them as total hicks, talked up his "best" drug. A nice white powder, guaranteed to give you quite a buzz. He bought that for an exorbitant sum.

On the way back, they interrupted a young noble getting ready to sexually assault a commoner--they stepped in and it ended badly for the noble. Notably, the character who bought the drugs never took them. The next morning, the party was arrested for murdering the noble and the officer, patting down the dwarf, encountered the drugs. He promptly burst out laughing. Why? It was powdered sugar, sold to rubes.

The Glyphstone
2017-12-23, 07:29 PM
If the characters are dealing in a banned, illegal substance, wouldn't you want the code words to not have anything to do with the actual product? the point of a code is to hide what message is being passed, after all.

A conversation between sugar dealers shouldn't sound like two bakers discussing a recipe. It should sound like two woodcutters talking about harvesting firewood, or like two fishermen bragging about their day's catch.

Meepwizard
2017-12-23, 11:50 PM
I see what you're saying, but I want to give the players(who have joined it) codes to use for sayings, while realistic campaigns would be a bit different, the empire litterally banned sugar, so it's not like this is super serious. I'm looking for things like "have we been frosted?"-"we're you followed?", and the like, simply for having fun

Nifft
2017-12-24, 12:26 AM
I see what you're saying, but I want to give the players(who have joined it) codes to use for sayings, while realistic campaigns would be a bit different, the empire litterally banned sugar, so it's not like this is super serious. I'm looking for things like "have we been frosted?"-"we're you followed?", and the like, simply for having fun

Double crossed => "hot crossed" or "crossed like a bun"

Finished => "dusted"

Keep the contraband operation secret => "stay frosty"

Toofey
2017-12-24, 11:20 AM
If the characters are dealing in a banned, illegal substance, wouldn't you want the code words to not have anything to do with the actual product? the point of a code is to hide what message is being passed, after all.

In the real world yes, in the game world where the code words themselves should give a clue to the players about what's being discussed... much much less so. which I guess comes down to how realistic a game you want to run.

Tee Shirts
Pizza
good sandwiches
magazines (I guess leaflets depending on the printing tech)

Also make sure to have some sugar junkie spread the rumor that if you ask an undercover guardsman if they're in the guard they have to answer honestly.

Cealocanth
2017-12-25, 06:13 PM

A conversation between sugar dealers shouldn't sound like two bakers discussing a recipe. It should sound like two woodcutters talking about harvesting firewood, or like two fishermen bragging about their day's catch.

Unless you're also trying to sell the product to someone who isn't a dealer. There's a reason that the street names for a lot of drugs are (at least) tangentially related to the drug itself. It's so a reasonably astute buyer can get the gist of what is being sold while the operation seems innocuous in the paper trail.

In a world where sugar is an illicit drug, I imagine "Hey man, do you want to buy some of the white stuff?" will net a lot more customers than "Hey man, do you want to buy some pickled red herring dust?".

Also, following this thread to give some flavor to the Elder Scrolls skooma trade.

Dimers
2017-12-25, 09:05 PM
The title of this thread is so unlikely to be spoken under normal circumstances that it looks like code itself. Are you trying to communicate something about the Marine Corps (USMC) ... ?

Nifft
2017-12-25, 10:09 PM
The title of this thread is so unlikely to be spoken under normal circumstances that it looks like code itself. Are you trying to communicate something about the Marine Corps (USMC) ... ?

Sugar Fidelis.

Dimers
2017-12-25, 10:39 PM
Seems like Succar Infidelis to me.

BWR
2017-12-26, 03:59 PM

Now now, don't go being sensible and stuff.

Jama7301
2017-12-26, 07:16 PM
First word that sprung to mind was "cotton". Could easily be talking about another product to throw off people who are nearby, and cotton candy is spun sugar.

Does it make sense in a world where cotton candy doesn't exist? Probably not! Do I have a craving now for cotton candy? Absolutely.