Initiative: +1
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares)
Armor Class: 13 (+2 size, +1 Dex), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-10
Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d4-3)
Full Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d4-3)
Space/Reach: 2 ½ ft./½ ft.
Special Attacks: Drain magic
Special Qualities: Arcane luminosity, blindsight 30 ft., ooze traits, sense magic
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will -5
Abilities: Str 6, Dex 12, Con 16, Int –, Wis 1, Cha 1
Skills: –
Feats: Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always True Neutral
Advancement: 3-5 HD (Tiny), 6 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: –

Arcanum Oozes are small slimes, typically found roaming in dungeons. It is unknown whether they were artificially created by magical engineering, or simply evolved naturally in response to the prevalence of magical items found in dungeons. They subsist entirely off of magic, draining energy from magical items and spells to sustain themselves. Unlike most oozes, arcanum oozes are relatively nimble for their size, far more dextrous than the larger, practically immobile oozes. Arcanum Oozes are amoeba-like and formless, and typically have a length of 2 ft., and weigh about half a pound. Most Arcanum Oozes are red, blue, or violet in color, though other variations have been found. Due to the useful properties of Arcanum Oozes, adventurers sometimes use them as a convenient way to detect magical items, or to use as a way to dispel their enemies' spells. An Arcanum Ooze can be purchased, along with a small glass vessel used to contain it, for 2,000 gp. However, being mindless, they cannot be tamed or domesticated. If an adventurer were to attempt to use one in combat, it would simply attack the nearest source of magic.

Drain Magic (Sp)
Whenever an Arcanum Ooze successfully damages a creature or object with its slam attack, it drains away any magical energy that might be present, causing the creature or objected to be affected as by the targeted dispel function of dispel magic, caster level 5th. For every spell or item an Arcanum Ooze dispels with this ability, it is healed 1 hp. This cannot brings its hp above its maximum hp total.

Arcane Luminosity (Su)
An Arcanum Ooze reacts to the close presence of magical energy by shedding light. Whenever an Arcanum Ooze touches a magical item, it begins giving off light. The amount of light given off depends on the aura strength of the item. If the item’s aura is faint, the ooze gives off light as a candle. If its strength is moderate, the ooze gives off light as a torch. If its strength is strong, the ooze gives off light as the daylight spell.

Sense Magic (Su)
Arcanum oozes can sense the presence of all magical auras within the range of their blindsight, and can automatically determine the school and strength of the aura.

DracoDei
2007-08-22, 02:38 PM
Being mindless its ability to ID the school of magic seems irrelevant and the ability to know the strength arguably so. I see these as being more of portable items (throw them at your enemies, and use them to detect magic by seeing what they glow when they touch and/or what they move toward) rather than encounters in and of themselves.

The Demented One
2007-08-22, 03:46 PM
Yeah, they would be useful for that, if you found a way to trap one.

Harold
2007-08-22, 04:01 PM
wait, its AC should be 12 when flat-footed not 11 it loses its DEX bonus and keeps it's size bonus. (I think)

Joltz
2007-08-22, 04:07 PM
Being mindless its ability to ID the school of magic seems irrelevant and the ability to know the strength arguably so. I see these as being more of portable items (throw them at your enemies, and use them to detect magic by seeing what they glow when they touch and/or what they move toward) rather than encounters in and of themselves.

lol, I thought of that too.

"Anti-magic grenades for your enemies, they double as portable magic-meters
(detect strength only)"

I don't think a character of level 5 or higher would have much problem keeping one or two around as pets. I'd expect there to be some way of keeping it docile by giving it magic.

DracoDei
2007-08-23, 03:33 AM
Lured into glass (or at least something with a clear crystal set into it) jars with stuff with Light on it by breeders who keep all other magic out of the area...