PDA

View Full Version : Functional difference between claw and dagger attack

nickl_2000
2017-12-28, 02:08 PM
Let's say you are a tortle who could carry a dagger or use a claw attack. What are the functional differences?

I see...
1) dagger can be thrown
2) dagger can use Dex
3) claws can't be disarmed

Could claws be used to attack while also grappling someone with that hand? I.e. Grappling two people, could you also make a claw attack?

I've got an idea mulling around in my head for a battlemaster grappling tortle who takes the mariner fighting style. I would love to be able to grapple two people, use the disarming strike to knock their weapons from their hands and drag them away from the weapon afterwards. It would also be fun to grapple them and dive under water with them where I can both swim and gold my breath for over an hour.

To go with that, JC has errataed that unarmed strikes are weapon attacks, so that would work for disarming strike.

lunaticfringe
2017-12-28, 03:05 PM
I have 3 sisters so I have no problem imagining someone digging their pointy ass rat claws into another person while holding onto them. I have been on the receiving end of a double fisted grapple claw attack.

I don't think it's legal, but I don't think it's that big of a stretch to allow it.

MxKit
2017-12-28, 03:12 PM
4)Dagger can eventually be a magical weapon if you find one, claws can never be unless you're a Monk (this can be a big deal eventually)
5)Dagger deals piercing damage, claws deal slashing damage (almost never going to be a big deal)

Personally, I'd just have my Tortle Battle Master carry around a non-dagger weapon, maybe a morningstar or longsword, and sheathe it for free before he starts grappling. It'd do more damage than a dagger, you're probably using Strength instead of Dexterity anyway (??? if not, use a shortsword or rapier though)... You might as well.

DivisibleByZero
2017-12-28, 03:20 PM
To go with that, JC has errataed that unarmed strikes are weapon attacks, so that would work for disarming strike.

That's not even errata, that was just a clarification.
There are two types of attacks: spell attacks and weapon attacks. Each of those has two subcategories consisting of melee and ranged.
An unarmed strike is not a spell, so it's a weapon attack (that uses no physical weapon).

nickl_2000
2017-12-28, 03:24 PM
That's not even errata, that was just a clarification.
There are two types of attacks: spell attacks and weapon attacks. Each of those has two subcategories consisting of melee and ranged.
An unarmed strike is not a spell, so it's a weapon attack (that uses no physical weapon).

Fair enough, but for the sake of my question what I said it's still correct. :)

nickl_2000
2017-12-28, 06:41 PM
I have 3 sisters so I have no problem imagining someone digging their pointy ass rat claws into another person while holding onto them. I have been on the receiving end of a double fisted grapple claw attack.

I don't think it's legal, but I don't think it's that big of a stretch to allow it.

Well I appreciate the voice of reason and experience.

Gryndle
2017-12-29, 05:42 PM
yeah I would allow it. My personal experience is in a dojo, when I was studying jujitsu and later on aikido, keeping your nails properly trimmed was a big rule. I've seen people get some pretty nice slashes from grapplers with finger nails.