PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Bloodborne D&D/ effective use of the hunters dream for tabletop?

Greatwhitesnow1
2017-12-29, 06:04 AM
So Im planning for a campaign set in the city of Yarhnam within the world of bloodborne, and I've been struggling to find a way to incorporate the hunters dream into the 5e rule set. I have a party of 2 hunter PCs making the first attempt at playing through, but i want the whole aspect of "if at first you dont succeed, die, die, die again". They should reawaken at the last lantern visited upon death, but say only one dies. Would any time pass for the surviving hunter, while waiting for the other to return (besides travel time). Should the PCs reawaken immediately upon death or wait a few ingame hours... any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Unoriginal
2017-12-29, 06:07 AM
Maybe have them only reawaken once all of them have died, or the next time one of them go to a lantern?

Also, since they can afford to die a lot, don't hesitate to send strong monsters in abundance

Greatwhitesnow1
2017-12-29, 06:37 AM
I like the sound of that idea, it gives the PCs a chance to either press foward without support of the other in hopes of finding the next lantern, or turning around and heading back the the previous lantern to regroup in the workshop. Thanks for the input, ill keep posting the progress, and if all goes well ill make a campaign guide for others to use.

PhantasyPen
2017-12-29, 04:03 PM
Might I ask how you're handling the Hunters themselves? Did you design any special sub-classes or items? Or are you just kinda trying to use Yharnam as a backdrop in your D&D?

Greatwhitesnow1
2018-01-04, 04:25 AM
Might I ask how you're handling the Hunters themselves? Did you design any special sub-classes or items? Or are you just kinda trying to use Yharnam as a backdrop in your D&D?

The Hunter Class that i am using is a play on a few other people who have taken a stab at bloodborne dnd, but with some alterations to better fit the narrative and pacing of the bloodborne game. The archetypes are based on the different hunter runes (covenants) found in game (Corruption, Radiance, Beast's Embrace, Impurity, Milkweed, Crow Hunters). Other than that i havent decided on letting the PCs utilize the noncovenant runes.

Greatwhitesnow1
2018-01-04, 04:42 AM
Credit for the majority of the class building goes to some reddit user named Adelaide_Adelier, and further reworked by Alkaiser. I mainly mixed some abilities around to fit the setting better, and added the other covenant rune archetypes. The biggest difference is that the hunter they made doesnt get the benefits from the hunters dream till lvl 20, which would fit perfectly for a blood hunter in a classic dnd game, but this is a from software campaign, so i want them to die, die, die again. Thus i gave the hunters dream as a given "benefit" of being stuck in Yharnam.