PDA

View Full Version : FdL's Fuzzbox-Fueled Random Banter #88

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

FdL
2007-08-30, 06:32 PM
We do have the aurora australis... I saw the edge of it once. Damn creepy. Like half the sky was bleeding, and/or aliens were landing over the hill.

Neat! But I think we don't get to see it from Argentina. I don't know what factors it's related to. Maybe more to the south we can see it, like from Patagonia or something.

phoenixineohp
2007-08-30, 07:29 PM
Puncture wounds? Do tell us, this sounds intriguing.

This is a spectacled caimen. (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/cnhc/csp_ccro.htm) I had a little fight with one at work. :smallannoyed:

Then, the next day, something in retail was mislabeled and didn't have a warning on it. So when I stepped in to help out, I know that anything 'can' bite me. But that's different from 'as soon as I open the cage and reach for the water bowl, it's going to nail me'. :smallannoyed:

This is what we consider a bad day at work. I haven't been bitten by anything for 3 years, and in 24 hours 2 things get me. :smallmad: So I've volunteered to tame down some of the baby retics, something that will end up with lots of teethy kisses. But it's necessary to do, the keepers don't have the time, and I am well supplied with bandaids by this point in time. Might as well when I still have expose skin. :smalltongue:

Eldpollard
2007-08-30, 07:31 PM
Wow, the most I get at work is a papercut or a spider lodged in an Agatha Christie book... alive.
Where do you work?

phoenixineohp
2007-08-30, 07:36 PM
I've said elsewhere, but right now I don't want to draw the parallel between my work place hazards and where I work. :smalltongue: It's like if someone gets bitten at an SPCA, and then people just think, 'yeah, all the dogs there are insane. I'm never getting one from them.' When really, it's just a accident that can happen and doesn't mean anything to the public. Though I may have a stern talking to with retail... and the caimen. :smallwink:

Logic
2007-08-30, 07:45 PM
Ok, Minor rant, but why on earth do my bosses think the old way is better?

Their method is check out the tools you will need for the entire shift, and don't turn the tools in until the end of shift. The method I have always used, and still stand by today, is that you check out the tools as you need them, for 2 reasons. One, positive tool control, and 2, there are not enough tools to go around if everyone checks out what is needed at the beginning of shift, and keeps them until the end!:smallfurious:

Ok, I think I got it out of my system.

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-30, 07:56 PM
Just because. Sometimes it's too much effort for people to change their ways of doing minor, unimportant things like that. :smallsigh:

Ouch...I mean, cute little crocs but I wouldn't want to be bitten by one.

Related: I'm getting a new kitty on Sunday when I move back into Toronto. Going down to the Humane Society to have a look (though I've already browsed their website).

phoenixineohp
2007-08-30, 08:01 PM
It is nothing compared to what they can do. Which makes me happy and lucky.

Awwww. You must load pictures when you get it!

ZombieRockStar
2007-08-30, 08:08 PM
I would if I had my own digital camera. :smallsigh: I might get pictures of it anyway if I can steal one of my family's cameras for a week.

Ashtar
2007-08-31, 04:06 AM
Well if it's totally random banter, I can share this which popped up while I was copying files this morning.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/5406/buggycopyyg8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
btw: "Restdauer" = "Time remaining"
I asked the boss if I could take a break while the copy was ongoing... so 2309097 minutes means 4.4 years of breaktime, yeah!

Ceska
2007-08-31, 04:29 AM
I asked the boss if I could take a break while the copy was ongoing... so 2309097 minutes means 4.4 years of breaktime, yeah!
As in paid breaktime? Would be nice.

Speaking of kitties, I had one sitting on my lap for some hours, right now they're playing again.

Bitzeralisis
2007-08-31, 11:40 AM
Heh heh, 4.4 years of breaktime.

I'm allergic to cats. :smallfrown:

Skippy
2007-08-31, 12:01 PM
That's not cool. A friend of mine stopped visiting me once, because the furniture in my house had car fur all over. The furniture was my aunt's, and she had a cat, so when she gave them to me, my friend got bad reactions, and then stopped coming.

Lucky
2007-08-31, 12:11 PM
That's not cool. A friend of mine stopped visiting me once, because the furniture in my house had car fur all over. The furniture was my aunt's, and she had a cat, so when she gave them to me, my friend got bad reactions, and then stopped coming.I had to pull that on a friend of mine too. He has three cats at his house, and I am quite allergic to cats, so I don't go to his house anymore. :smalltongue:

Lord Herman
2007-09-01, 02:02 PM
I was just playing a computer RPG (Titan Quest), and I noticed that in many such games, when a chest is opened, the items inside literally fly out, and scatter all over the place. That got me wondering: why the heck do they go through all the trouble of installing a spring-loaded launch mechanism in each and every one of those chests?

On a similar vein, in many CRPGs, there are these sarcophagi and tombs that can be looted. Sometimes, these things are trapped, and explode when opened. What kind of maniac fills the tombs of their loved ones with explosives?

Ink
2007-09-01, 02:11 PM
But in the first place, why are there conveniently located chests all around the place filled with loot that would enable the adventurer to defeat the evil boss whose place it is?

By the way, I liked your latest writing on the Team RAF, Herman. Although I understood not one reference in it.

North
2007-09-01, 03:07 PM
I wish I had a kitty. Damn apartment rules.

*shakes fist*

Trog
2007-09-01, 03:14 PM
W00T! I got my new laptop today! GLEE!!!! :smallbiggrin:

Logic
2007-09-01, 03:25 PM
I wish I had a dog. Damn apartment rules!

*Shakes fist*

And Trog, unless you got your computer for graphic design and somesuch, there is nothing to be excited about. It is still a MAC.

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-01, 03:33 PM
Wrong. new laptop always = yay, no matter what kind it is. It's new and...shiny! :smallamused: And people say I'm easily amused...

Well, actually, they don't. But if they did say things about me, they'd say i'm easily amused.

I'm supposed to be packing for my move tomorrow, yet have little done. I've done the clothes, but there's still the matter of all the books and stuff. Hmm...instead I'm posting here.

Don't blame me! I'm just getting back into that procrastinating groove that'll be so useful once term paper season hits in November. :smallamused:

Trog
2007-09-01, 03:36 PM
And Trog, unless you got your computer for graphic design and somesuch, there is nothing to be excited about. It is still a MAC.

Naturally. Graphic design is what I do. And macs rock. :smallbiggrin:

bosssmiley
2007-09-01, 04:04 PM
Wrong. new laptop always = yay, no matter what kind it is. It's new and...shiny!

Not if it's one of the Crotchscorcher 9000s (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07/28/another_dell_laptop_burns/) from Dell. :smalleek:

North
2007-09-01, 04:05 PM
Oooh I had the crothburner from compaq

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-01, 04:14 PM
Not if it's one of the Crotchscorcher 9000s (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07/28/another_dell_laptop_burns/) from Dell. :smalleek:

I was actually going to mention that but pulled out at the last minute...hmm.

Though you have to admit: shiny! At least it probably was when it was on fire. :smalltongue:

smellie_hippie
2007-09-02, 05:07 PM
Those beasts might bring about a re-surge of asbestos pants. :smallamused:

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-02, 06:01 PM
All the kids are wearing them these days. Though I think tearing holes in them defeats their purpose...:smallamused:

So I have my new kitty. Her name I've decided is Ceridwen (or just Ceri for short), after a figure from Welsh legend (the mother of Taliesin, who's my current avatar). I wish I could take a photo but she's small and almost black (just a little tuft of white fur on her chest). And she's a huge suck. She didn't run and hide when we brought here home from the humane society at all. She's adorable.

Okay, I'm done.

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-02, 06:11 PM
Aww. I love Cats, ZombieRockStar.
A nice name too!

Volug
2007-09-02, 06:15 PM
guess where i live (EXACTLY!!)
you have 5 guesses apiece....
or heck dont guess at all.

any1 know anything random?
how bout this

"We're on the bridge charlie!!! We're on the bridge!!"

Who ever can guess thatdont gets a cookie!

wojonatior
2007-09-02, 06:33 PM
charlie:lookit were on a bridge.
annoying mini unicorns: no charlie were at candy mountain.:smallbiggrin:

Aramil Liadon
2007-09-02, 08:24 PM
Sorry to interrupt, but I has a question. What's 'AFONAL' mean? It shows up at all the birthdays, but...

Wayril
2007-09-02, 08:27 PM
So I have my new kitty.

Yay. You have been converted. Grovel before the cuteness, and bring it some catnip mice while your at it. (cause they are slightly more fun than your blanketed feet in the middle of the night)

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-02, 08:53 PM
Actually, I've had cats all my life. This is just the first one I've had for my own. :smallbiggrin:

And she is very cute. Everybody else went for the kittens and no one wanted this adorable 4 year old.

phoenixineohp
2007-09-02, 09:01 PM
Awwwwwww.... *melts at the new-kitty-who-is-a-suck adorableness*
*pangs of grief hopefully covered by more melting*

Wayril
2007-09-02, 09:02 PM
And she is very cute. Everybody else went for the kittens and no one wanted this adorable 4 year old.

Both of my cats I got as kittens (way back then), although both of them were strays that I caught myself. We also have another stray cat living on our back porch, we tried bringing it inside, but it didn't like that so we just leave it food once and a while. and it protects our garbage from raccoons, (cause cleaning the yard isn't too fun when the mess smells like, and is, garbage).

But anyway, In the US the SPCA won't let you adopt a cat when you're under 21 so I won't be owning my own cat for a while, which is to say nothing of the fact that I don't have my own place anyway. Are things the same in Canada?

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-02, 09:13 PM
You have to be a legal adult (18), because you are signing an adoption contract. The OSPCA doesn't run the shelters here, the Humane Society of whatever region it is does.

Wayril
2007-09-02, 09:20 PM
I didn't actually try adopting a cat, but my cousin did and they wouldn't let her, which is a little ridiculous imao. I mean you can join the army vote, move out, legally do everything except drink and you can't adopt a cat?!? I guess some things just weren't meant to be understood.

MandibleBones
2007-09-02, 09:24 PM
I'm pretty sure the SPCA isn't a government agency - they can set whatever age they want to determine whether they think you're mature enough to adopt a kitty.

Considering there's an "underage driver" fee for anyone renting a car* (again, controlled by private agencies), I don't think it's wrong for the SPCA to want to make sure that living beings go to people who want to take care of them.

Maybe get someone else to adopt it, and you take responsibility for it?

Edit: *anyone under a certain age.

Wayril
2007-09-02, 09:32 PM
Yeah I know it works like that, and of course there are ways around that, but I just thought if they really want someone to take care of the animals they would loosen up the requirements, I mean they do have you come in so that the people can meet you and judge whether you can adopt a pet anyway so maturity would be something that could be gauged from that meeting.

Sadly cats are going to be the one thing I'm sure I'll miss when I head off to college in a few weeks.

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-02, 09:32 PM
Well, I sort of agree with that. Younger people can be constantly moving and can rarely provide a stable home for a pet.

What sickens me is that, last year on the news, I heard that they put a stop to adoption of black cats during October because some people only adopt them for Halloween parties. I have no idea if that's actually true, but still...:smalleek:

Wayril
2007-09-02, 09:40 PM
Well anyway now I know better. I'll be sure to adopt my black cat a few months in advance. jk. :smallwink:

That's quite horrible. I don't blame them for that (not allowing adoptions then) :smalleek:

But honestly who would want the cats roaming around during a party. I mean, unless it's a smallish party, I'll shut the cats in the basement so they don't get out or get trampled. And somehow I don't imagine people adopting cats for small parties.

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-02, 09:59 PM
I'm sure it doesn't happen often. It might've been just one instance, even, that prompted it. But adopting for a themed party and then returning them a day later or worse, kicking them out on the street, does sound horrid.

MandibleBones
2007-09-02, 10:02 PM
No arguments here. Admittedly, I'd really like to adopt a cat, but they don't much allow them in the dorms on base - and I'll likely be moving around too much anyway.

Skippy
2007-09-02, 11:06 PM
Sorry to interrupt, but I has a question. What's 'AFONAL' mean? It shows up at all the birthdays, but...

AFONAL= Annual Flaunting On Numbers And Lewt

Just a fancy way to say "Birthday"

Sorry to keep you waiting for the answer!!

Serpentine
2007-09-02, 11:36 PM
I started it :smallbiggrin: Didn't coin it, but I'm kinda responsible... I think. It was a while ago. I could be talking crap.
*ahem*

Skippy
2007-09-02, 11:47 PM
It was for Zar Peter's AFONAL, on May, wasn't it? I kinda remember it...

zeratul
2007-09-02, 11:48 PM
What does AFONAL stand for exactly? I've been here for a while, woulda though I'd have known it by now.

Skippy
2007-09-02, 11:53 PM
AFONAL= Annual Flaunting On Numbers And Lewt

Just a fancy way to say "Birthday"

Sorry to keep you waiting for the answer!!

Just a few posts up from yours...

North
2007-09-02, 11:53 PM
My birthday sucks.

Sept 11.

Yeah that september 11th was my 18th....

Skippy
2007-09-02, 11:56 PM
Well, it's not your fault, y'know... Unless you're actually Bin Laden in disguise...

I was born on April 16th, the same day the effects of LSD were discovered... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16_April)

Lord Herman
2007-09-03, 12:17 AM
I started it :smallbiggrin: Didn't coin it, but I'm kinda responsible... I think. It was a while ago. I could be talking crap.
*ahem*

If I'm not mistaken, you suggested it during my birthday thread, and then bosssmiley proposed that all birthdays be named AFONAL day.

Skippy
2007-09-03, 12:23 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you suggested it during my birthday thread, and then bosssmiley proposed that all birthdays be named AFONAL day.

Right, it was on Herman's, not on Peter's... Well, with those nobility titles all around, who can remember? Still, it was on May, if I recall correctly...

Lord Herman
2007-09-03, 02:54 PM
That'd be very odd, since my birthday is in June. :smallconfused:

In other news, I just had my first introduction day at the university, for the new bachelor I'm doing (Celtic Studies). It was fun! Lots of geeky people there. :smallbiggrin:

Skippy
2007-09-03, 06:52 PM
That'd be very odd, since my birthday is in June. :smallconfused:

In other news, I just had my first introduction day at the university, for the new bachelor I'm doing (Celtic Studies). It was fun! Lots of geeky people there. :smallbiggrin:

OK, then I give up. I had hard times from february up till now, so I guess I'm just lost in time and space. Sorry, Herman!! But it was indeed on your birthday that AFONAL was created. Cool thing about your career. I'm considering changing mine.

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-03, 08:12 PM

Woo! As a Celtic aficionado (seriously...look at my avatar and what I just named my cat), I have to say that rocks. I wish my university had some Celtic studies...not so I could major, but I'd love to take a class in dark ages Celtic literature.

Wayril
2007-09-03, 09:29 PM
Woo! As a Celtic aficionado (seriously...look at my avatar and what I just named my cat), I have to say that rocks. I wish my university had some Celtic studies...not so I could major, but I'd love to take a class in dark ages Celtic literature.

You need to listen to Enya then. If there's one thing I love waking up to that'd be it. I have to wake up early for rowing and that puts just the right amount of energy into you to feel as though you've slept well and still are able to get up. Actually I think Enya is Gaelic, but I'm not really sure, maybe both? Either way the effect is the same.

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-03, 09:46 PM
Already have a bit on Enya on my iTunes. I'm more interested in the actual Irish folk music than Celtic-sounding music, but I like her well enough.

And to refresh:

Celtic is an overall group of people native to north-western Europe. Gaels, however, are specific to Ireland, Scotland, and the Isle of Man. So all Gaels are Celts, but not all Celts are Gaels.

Wayril
2007-09-03, 10:18 PM
I think was getting at the language her stuff is written in (I don't really remember what I was getting at). Obviously some is English, then a bunch of Gaelic, maybe some of it's Celtic too.

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-03, 10:41 PM
"Tempus Vernum" is in Latin. :smallamused:

Gaelic usually means Scottish. Otherwise you usually refer to the language based on region: Irish, Welsh, Manx, Cornish, etc.

I know this because I'm still trying to learn Irish...I need to put more effort into it.

Logic
2007-09-04, 12:40 AM
One of the things I miss most about home, is the ability to see the stars. Sadly, due to the light pollution of my location, I am unable to see them at all. Except today, I was in an isolated location far from the usual lights, and I actually saw the stars. It made me so happy, I almost cried!

Yay for stars!

phoenixineohp
2007-09-04, 12:50 AM
This was the first summer in 11 years I wasn't able to go up north. The thing I missed the most were the stars and the trees. The clean air and sunsets. Hearing the rain hitting the leaves in the forest. The random animal encounters and the cold lake. I never thought I would ever miss that cold lake.

I got one night were there was a glimpse at the stars, and I did cry a little. I really really do miss it all. :smallfrown:

Katonta
2007-09-04, 01:27 AM
I'm lucky I can still see the stars in my area. Though not for long, it looks like, since there has been a whole lot of construction going on around my neighborhood. I mean around 500 houses being put in just down the street! Not to mention the other two or so construction sights, each with their own 500 houses!

Artemician
2007-09-04, 01:30 AM
*Sigh*.. you lucky people living in that pristine unpolluted countryside.. where you can actually see stars.

I live in a city. It's not as bad as cities go, but I can count the number of stars I can see in the night sky on the fingers of one hand. Lakes? We have none. Forests? I doubt reservoir forests count.

And I can't take the recourse of going to countryside.. the city IS the countryside.

phoenixineohp
2007-09-04, 02:13 AM
I looked out over the city (I'm in the suburbs) one night and something struck me as strange. I finally realized the sun set was setting GREEN. There was a yellow and brown gradation after the green, but it was green.

Man I miss real sunsets.

Nibleswick
2007-09-04, 02:49 AM
Already have a bit on Enya on my iTunes. I'm more interested in the actual Irish folk music than Celtic-sounding music, but I like her well enough.

And to refresh:

Celtic is an overall group of people native to north-western Europe. Gaels, however, are specific to Ireland, Scotland, and the Isle of Man. So all Gaels are Celts, but not all Celts are Gaels.

Well, actually the Celts started off in the area now known as Turkey and spread North-West and South-East, eventually becoming the Indians, the Persians, the Gauls, the Britons, the Picts, and the Gaels. The Scots are a group of Gaels from Ireland that that went to Scotland and forced out the Picts/ absorbed them.

Ceska
2007-09-04, 09:25 AM
Most Celts, however, mixed with other (races? I have no clue how to call that in English, sorry) over the time, only those areas (although ZRS forgot the Bretagne) stayed mainly Celtic. I should know, I live in the only Celtic Kingdom that became a province of the Roman Empire by peaceful means.

On another note, what kind of sports do you guys watch. Usually I only watch Football (= Soccer, I hate American Football) and Ice Hockey, but I started to watch Volleyball too. Doesn't matter if male or female, but I don't like Beach Volleyball.

Eldpollard
2007-09-04, 09:28 AM
I don't really watch any sports, it seems rather dull to watch. Although I'll catch ice hockey if it's on. A shame that in the UK it's usually on at about 4 am on channel 5 once a week.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-09-04, 10:29 AM
I don't watch any sport at all. Never get the hang of it, or have an attention span long enough for televised sport. Watching live games; mostly at school is better because you don't have 100% adherence to the rules, it's faster and more interesting.

Scots, Welsh, Irish, Isle of Man and Cornwall (county) are all places that have a very high Celtic (any of the sub-groups) DNA even to this day. And Celts were basically British Ilses, France, Germany, Denmark (modern day names and geographical locations). By sub-group (because I don't know the actual name) I mean Gaels, Picts, Britons (a mixture of several Celtic tribes and the indigenous people from he Ice Age) and the rest.

Aside from that: The susets in Cornwall are wonderful, even if they don't set over the sea. I prefer the sunrises because the bay is stained a glorious dusky pink, highlighting the fishing ships as they set out on another arduos tip. It's even better in the winter because then it's misty so the mist becomes golden pink and in the sky above you seee the steel grey become striated with smears of ygolden yellow and streaks of pinks and red.

I miss my sunrises. But because I officially start college tomorrow I'm gint to be seeing a lot more of them. I'm glad I walk my dogs.:smallsmile:

Skippy
2007-09-04, 10:40 AM
I called my room 'Minas Andúnelin', which I found was 'The Tower where the sunset sings' in Quenya, because my room is on the last floor of a building, it's the western room, and there's always music on. I love watching the sunset from my window.

Logic
2007-09-04, 05:46 PM
I can't remember the last sunset I saw, as I am usually sleeping during the sunset. Sunrises I catch all the time though.

LCR
2007-09-04, 05:54 PM
Most Celts, however, mixed with other (races? I have no clue how to call that in English, sorry) over the time, only those areas (although ZRS forgot the Bretagne) stayed mainly Celtic. I should know, I live in the only Celtic Kingdom that became a province of the Roman Empire by peaceful means.

On another note, what kind of sports do you guys watch. Usually I only watch Football (= Soccer, I hate American Football) and Ice Hockey, but I started to watch Volleyball too. Doesn't matter if male or female, but I don't like Beach Volleyball.

Oooh, I love Beach Volleyball. Well, the female version of it, that is. Every else strikes me as a bit boring, although I do watch the Olympic games, football world championships and occasional game of curling for laughs.

FdL
2007-09-04, 06:00 PM
My ex-gf had a celtic folk band. Two in fact, with the first one I helped them record and produce a 5 song demo that it's still around on the net. In fact there's reportedly some YouTube vids of her playing I hope I never stumble upon :S
I played acoustic guitar then electric bass with them for a time too, but that was just love/support, I don't like celtic music.

Oh, wrong thread? Thought this was Relationship Woes or, hmm, Depression? Well, at least this one has my name on it ^^

smellie_hippie
2007-09-04, 06:04 PM
I'll watch the Olympics like a fiend, Summer and Winter. As for run-of-the-mill sports, I like to watch...

World's Strongest Man competitions (especially clips from older ones)
Lumberjack competitions (tricked out chainsaws... FTW :smallamused: )
X-games (specifically..... everything)
and college Football (American)

Can't stand the NFL though. Professional sports just have too much crap and baggage with them.

Ceska
2007-09-04, 07:25 PM
Oooh, I love Beach Volleyball. Well, the female version of it, that is. Every else strikes me as a bit boring, although I do watch the Olympic games, football world championships and occasional game of curling for laughs.
To be honest, they simply don't look attractive to me. Too much muscle on human bodies does that to me. I like conventional Volleyball though since it has a deal of tactic within and a team is more interesting to watch than just two persons, at least for me.

Midnight Son
2007-09-04, 08:18 PM
To be honest, they simply don't look attractive to me. Too much muscle on human bodies does that to me. I like conventional Volleyball though since it has a deal of tactic within and a team is more interesting to watch than just two persons, at least for me.
The USA Volleyball team was in town a while back, and I have to say, I find the team uniforms to be sexier than the beach volleyball uniforms. I admit, amongst such beautiful women with such great physiques, I did more than my fair share of ogling. (We happened to be in the same restuarant)

Evil_Pacifist
2007-09-04, 08:35 PM
My ex-gf had a celtic folk band. Two in fact, with the first one I helped them record and produce a 5 song demo that it's still around on the net. In fact there's reportedly some YouTube vids of her playing I hope I never stumble upon :S
I played acoustic guitar then electric bass with them for a time too, but that was just love/support, I don't like celtic music.

Oh, wrong thread? Thought this was Relationship Woes or, hmm, Depression? Well, at least this one has my name on it ^^

Your post's lack of having been edited betrays you... Your feelings are strong for... Not editing. Or something.

FdL
2007-09-04, 08:41 PM
Yeah, stream-of-conscioussness posts are the latest craze.

Oh wait, no. Actually it's clothes threads.

Reinboom
2007-09-04, 09:00 PM
Did you hear the one about the crossdressing thread?

A strange thing has occured to me today. I owe a friend 150$ (USD), have to pay 300$ deposit to get an apartment back, owe my father ~1500$, and I have about 20$ to my name. I have to at least get the 300$ deposit settled by... in 2 days.

Yet I have little to no stress or worry on these subjects. This is weird.

Oh, and for more happy things: I got a dreamcast via my work (effectively costing me.. nothing, so it's not an insult to the above) to replace the dreamcast I killed via overclocking a year ago. :3

- Just felt like announcing -

FdL
2007-09-04, 09:13 PM
A Dreamcast as in Sega Dreamcast? Nice! It has some neat games for it ^^ Enjoy!

SDF
2007-09-04, 09:22 PM
*pops in*

Hey, I haven't disappeared... I'm just waiting on that computer to get here >_> College is great without one, let me tell you about it...

Good news is I got my cat ears back from my friend. I feel so rad. I just bought a ticket to see Bright Eyes on the 14th, the Smashing Pumpkins on the 26th, and the White Stripes on the 28th. Also, I heard Built to Spill might have a concert date in Boise soon. Not that it matters, as Doug Martsch lives like half a mile from my house <_< :smallbiggrin: So I'm going to be very poor very soon from concerts. So worth it though. A bunch of people on my floor are musicians and we are going to jam soon.

Anyway, I'll probably be back to posting and IMing in a week or so... My phone completely died the other day too, making me a social pariah... well not true, but it is really annoying.

I also might have to drop my biomedical engineering minor if I have to take the three prerequisit classes for my biomaterials class... I'm hoping to just get a premission invitation from the instructor after I take biomechanics... Bah, I hate scheduling.

Reinboom
2007-09-04, 10:00 PM
*pops in*

Hey, I haven't disappeared... I'm just waiting on that computer to get here >_> College is great without one, let me tell you about it...

Good news is I got my cat ears back from my friend. I feel so rad. I just bought a ticket to see Bright Eyes on the 14th, the Smashing Pumpkins on the 26th, and the White Stripes on the 28th. Also, I heard Built to Spill might have a concert date in Boise soon. Not that it matters, as Doug Martsch lives like half a mile from my house <_< :smallbiggrin: So I'm going to be very poor very soon from concerts. So worth it though. A bunch of people on my floor are musicians and we are going to jam soon.

Anyway, I'll probably be back to posting and IMing in a week or so... My phone completely died the other day too, making me a social pariah. >_<

Yay you still exist and where not just a figment of my selective imagination!
I'm envious of your later 2 concerts. Though, I'm getting to see Weird Al soon live, so, not so much. I would love to see jack white live still...

Ceska
2007-09-05, 03:30 AM
The USA Volleyball team was in town a while back, and I have to say, I find the team uniforms to be sexier than the beach volleyball uniforms. I admit, amongst such beautiful women with such great physiques, I did more than my fair share of ogling. (We happened to be in the same restaurant)
Ah, I must admit, I'm more into faces than physiques. If the face doesn't work, the rest is uninteresting. Personally I'm really only watching it for the sport, as strange as that sounds with every women's sport.

I must admit though that I didn't mind those in the German Soccer National Team, there's quite some cute ones in there (or were when I last watched).:smallredface:

Sly
2007-09-05, 04:21 AM
You mean physiques, not physics. Also, hooray for Bright Eyes. I love that guy (Conmor Oberst)

Ack, last day of the summer holidays and it is bibilical levels of rain.

Trog
2007-09-05, 08:21 AM
*sigh*

Almost got four hours of sleep last night. 1.5 the night before. hopefully the trend continues and I get more tonight. I don't care what the Player's Handbook says about making zombies... they're wrong. You make them by depriving someone of sleep.

I'm gonna go get a cup of brains... I mean coffee... for my brain. Yeah.

*shuffles off and acts last in the coffee initiative line in the break room*

Thes Hunter
2007-09-05, 09:20 AM
*sigh*

Almost got four hours of sleep last night. 1.5 the night before. hopefully the trend continues and I get more tonight. I don't care what the Player's Handbook says about making zombies... they're wrong. You make them by depriving someone of sleep.

I'm gonna go get a cup of brains... I mean coffee... for my brain. Yeah.

*shuffles off and acts last in the coffee initiative line in the break room*

Remember dear, I gave you that Jamaican blue. :smallwink:

And now, something just to make this post non-superfluous, Like, Wow, isn't it hot here in the states today?

Man. Holy Cow-ola.

Eldpollard
2007-09-05, 09:25 AM
Cow-ola?Is that a new form of beverage? Coke made from cows, "Now with more udder in ever bottle"

Skippy
2007-09-05, 09:48 AM
It's like milkshake with soda water, I guess...

Sly
2007-09-05, 09:50 AM
Or Coke Zero with a Bovine Twist.

Eldpollard
2007-09-05, 09:50 AM
That or carbonated beef stock gravy. That's a horrible though.

Skippy
2007-09-05, 09:55 AM
Soda with taste of hamburgers... That would be a great invention, don't you think? That way, you can eat both the soda and the hamburger at the same time. It saves time and money... Such a great idea!!

Thes Hunter
2007-09-05, 10:39 AM
Soda with taste of hamburgers... That would be a great invention, don't you think? That way, you can eat both the soda and the hamburger at the same time. It saves time and money... Such a great idea!!

Hmmmmmm....... Meat. Slurry......

*drools*

*note, meat slurry may not be fit for human consumption.
Backstory: As me and Trog were returning from GenCon we kept passing this liquid tanker truck with large red letters painted on the back that read:"Warning Not FOOD, not for human consumption". And the only thing I could think of that could be in that was a meat slurry coming from the slaughter houses and going to the pet food manufacturers. But your guess is as good as ours.

Trog
2007-09-05, 10:47 AM
*chugs a McSlurry*

Good thing Trog's not human. The no pants thing might be harder to pull off.

Eldpollard
2007-09-05, 10:49 AM
Urg, McSlurry, that's not a nice thought at all. Would it be a frozen type thing as well?The beef flavoured slush puppy. Or come to that the puppy flavoured slush puppy. Why puppy?

Serpentine
2007-09-05, 10:53 AM
Sounds like someone's got a hankerin' for the Fungry's Meatshake (http://www.cnnnn.com/cnnnn/fungrys/) :smallwink: (unfortunately, I don't know whether any of those actually include the milkshake... you'll get the idea, though)

CurlyKitGirl
2007-09-05, 12:11 PM
You have no idea how muaseating that is for someone who hasn't eaten since 12:30 and had to endure three hours of bus travel today.
Yes, the worst part about my first official day was the bus. And that we had getting to know you sessions for every lecture.

Amotis
2007-09-05, 12:11 PM
Almost got four hours of sleep last night. 1.5 the night before. hopefully the trend continues and I get more tonight.

*holds tongue*

You hear the one about the joke falling into a dumpster?

Skippy
2007-09-05, 12:23 PM
Oh noes!! Curly's got a custom Avatar!! Now how the heck am I going to know when she posts?

(Just kiddin'. Love your new avvie, Curly)

CurlyKitGirl
2007-09-05, 12:54 PM
Thanks RS.

To school/college extra-curriculars:
I'm spoilt for choice. I can take Creative Writing (definitely), Japanese, Climbing, Arabic, Aerobics, Hockey, Netball, Magazine (working at the magazine, also a want to take), Swimming, Bowling, Football, Debate, Philosophy Plus, Buddy Support (you help disabled people) and about three pages more of stuff. I honestly don't know if I'll have time to take even one of the ones I really want to take. Not including the one I have to do because I'm being foced (ICT GCSE equivalent dumb government) and the volunteer work I do anyway.

Skippy
2007-09-05, 12:59 PM
I'd take Japanese, but I'm kinda freak... I already know some Japanese and my religion forbids me to do any sports/physical activity. I'd get into debate or buddy support, I think those are nice.

Eldpollard
2007-09-05, 01:01 PM
Is that key skills that you have to do? The test is ridiculously easy to do. It's multiple choice and amazingly simplistic questions.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-09-05, 01:19 PM
I'd take Japanese, but I'm kinda freak... I already know some Japanese and my religion forbids me to do any sports/physical activity. I'd get into debate or buddy support, I think those are nice.

Seriously?

@Eldpollard.
It's kind of like that. If you didn't take ICT at GCSE level (which I didn't and still wouldn't take even if I knew about this before hand) you have to take a GCSE equivalency test; the European Computer Driving License.
No, I don't know why driving license either. But if it's that easy I'll be able to drop the class (one hour a week), get it off my timetable and have more free time.
I'm surprised at the amount of stuff there is to choose from. I only hope I'll be able to fit it in. 5 A Levels + 20hrs private study a week and volunteering too.
I'm still going to take Creative Writing though. I'll certainly try to get Magazine. But I refuse to drop my volunteering for anything. Unless it's a dire emergency.

Eldpollard
2007-09-05, 01:23 PM
Ah, when I was in college we had IT key skills which was easy. I don't know about ECDL but I don't imagine it's much more complicated.

Skippy
2007-09-05, 01:28 PM
About the religion? I'm an Skippyist of the Last Days. Sports and getting physically tired are sins. Sweating is a mortal sin.

I'm too geeky, sue me.

Go on ahead with writing!! I'd write myself, but TV melted my brain years ago and I haven't got any imagination.

I'm in a sarcastic mood today...

CurlyKitGirl
2007-09-05, 01:34 PM
I am a Skippyist too. Altthough I do like hockey and swimming. But they aren't really sports.

I am continuing with the writing and I might post some stuff if I feel like it.

And Eldpollard: All I can say is that I'll probably get it done with by Christmas unless it's really hard.

Eldpollard
2007-09-05, 01:35 PM
There was a book about it in the library I work at. It seems to basically be GCSE IT. Rather easy.

Trog
2007-09-05, 01:37 PM
*holds tongue*

Get more SLEEP tonight. :smalltongue: Mah.

Skippy
2007-09-05, 01:39 PM
I am a Skippyist too. Altthough I do like hockey and swimming. But they aren't really sports.

I like swimming, Above all, I love it because I don't sweat. That one is allowed, as far as I know.

I'd love to see your writings, sometime. Perhaps it will be enough motivation for me to start writing again...

Eldpollard
2007-09-05, 01:42 PM
I'm not a fan of swimming. I don't exactly have what you'd call a swimmer's physice.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-09-05, 01:45 PM
There's no such thing as a swimmers physique. Even floating in the sea is swimming. You just get in the water and paddle. No need for loving good or knowing fancy strokes.

FdL
2007-09-05, 01:50 PM
*holds tongue*

Heh ;) That's the way to make a very happy zombie. Ahhh, the good old times.................. *reminisces*

Logic
2007-09-05, 03:10 PM
I love swimming! It's a wonder I haven't taken advantage of the pool in all the time I have been over here.

Aramil Liadon
2007-09-05, 03:19 PM
SOMEONE SAID HOCKEY'S NOT A SPORT? ARAMIL CRUSH WIMPY FOOL! (Read: I cast shatter and hope)

Also, swimming is a sport, it made it to the Olympics.

Lucky
2007-09-05, 04:13 PM
How the hell is hockey not a sport? I suppose I can understand swimming not being a sport... It is, but I can understand people saying it's not...

But hockey? What's the rational behind that?

Captain van der Decken
2007-09-05, 04:21 PM
There's no such thing as a swimmers physique. Even floating in the sea is swimming. You just get in the water and paddle. No need for loving good or knowing fancy strokes.

Big lungs and strong arms 'n legs. There. Good swimming physique = you swim better.

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-09-05, 05:59 PM
How the hell is hockey not a sport? I suppose I can understand swimming not being a sport... It is, but I can understand people saying it's not...

But hockey? What's the rational behind that?
Maybe under the theory that real sports have balls. Technically, a puck isn't a ball.

Logic
2007-09-05, 06:43 PM
It's a sport! Because it is one of the only sports I am any good at! (At least, one of the variations.)

Lucky
2007-09-05, 07:08 PM
Maybe under the theory that real sports have balls. Technically, a puck isn't a ball.
Yeah, that theory sucks.

Cyrano
2007-09-05, 07:56 PM
Hey guys! I got an unexploded computer again! It sucks! Send me free computers!

I was gonna fill the rest of this post with stuff, then I realised nobody cares and I have nothing of import to say.
Then I posted it anyway.

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-09-05, 08:48 PM
Yeah, that theory sucks.
It was meant to prove that cross country was a sport. It does that, but rules out things that actually are.

Jack Squat
2007-09-05, 08:54 PM
It's a sport! Because it is one of the only sports I am any good at! (At least, one of the variations.)

you talking about Air Hockey? :smallwink:

Wayril
2007-09-05, 08:55 PM
I like to define sports as anything that requires more physical strength than mental strength. It was one of the best definitions we could come up with cause, yes I have actually discussed this before. I think there was one sport that was an exception to this rule, but I forget which one.

Edit: I think it was Car racing (Nascar) and Sailing (depending on the circumstances) (that'd by 2 but whatever)

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-09-05, 09:01 PM
Golf? I'm pretty sure it's considered a sport.

Lucky
2007-09-05, 09:02 PM
you talking about Air Hockey? :smallwink:Better than field hockey.

Wayril
2007-09-05, 09:05 PM
Golf? I'm pretty sure it's considered a sport.

Golf is considered a sport (and it requires very good muscle memory and obviously some intelligence). In fact most things you find on ESPN are sports so that might be a good basis, although there are a few sports excluded and poker isn't a sport.

FdL
2007-09-05, 09:05 PM
I think CurlyKittyGirl should explain why she doesn't consider hockey and swimming to be sports. Because they undoubtly are.

I'm Skippyst too, but it's taking its toll I tell you. Lately I've been having pains in my neck which give me headaches, and other posture related crap.

Hey, I'm thinking of taking Yoga classes. Anyone has had any experiences with this? I need to do some kind of physical activity that lets me stretch and improve my posture and flexibility. The part about relaxing sounds like it'll do me good too.

Jack Squat
2007-09-05, 09:07 PM
I actually like Air Hockey...even have my own table.

it's just a shame that there isn't near enough room in here to bring it in.

maybe next year I'll get lucky and get a much larger room...

Wayril
2007-09-05, 09:13 PM
I actually like Air Hockey...even have my own table.

it's just a shame that there isn't near enough room in here to bring it in.

maybe next year I'll get lucky and get a much larger room...

I wish I knew what my room looks like. I still haven't moved in cause school starts in 2 and a half weeks since it's on a quarter system instead of semesters. so I must say It is going to be a nice boring early half of September.

Midnight Son
2007-09-05, 09:28 PM
I like to define sports as anything that requires more physical strength than mental strength. It was one of the best definitions we could come up with cause, yes I have actually discussed this before. I think there was one sport that was an exception to this rule, but I forget which one.

Edit: I think it was Car racing (Nascar) and Sailing (depending on the circumstances) (that'd by 2 but whatever)Most sports actually take much more mental discipline than you seem to be giving them credit for. Take Tennis, for example. It's not how hard you can hit, though that certainly helps, but where you hit and how you hit. You have to out-think your opponent, because the way to score is generally to get them out of position. On the flip side, car racing is much more physical than you seem to think. It's not just driving in a circle for several hours. Those cars are moving at incredible speeds and keeping them in control actually does take some strength and stamina. Talk to any of the top athletes in most sports and I bet they give equal weight to both mental and physical discipline.

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-09-05, 09:47 PM
Does anyone know how multiplication and significant figures and decimals works? Regarding decimals, how is the anwer to 5cm*5cm different than 5.0cm*5.0cm?

Jack Squat
2007-09-05, 09:57 PM
sig figs are a way of getting a "standard" answer...for multiplication, you only use as many digits as the fewest of your factors. so 5*5 would be 30, as would 5*5.0, while 5.0*5.0 would let you give the answer as 25.

For addtion, sig figs work by only letting you not get past the last digit of the shortest part. 1.21948983984+1.2 would be 2.4 for instance, not 2.41948983984

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-09-05, 10:02 PM
The chemistry teacher changed the rules for addition and subtraction so that the result didn't have any more digits to the right of the decimal than any of the original numbers, but thanks for the part of multiplication. So far, sig figs seem entirely unnecessary.

Jack Squat
2007-09-05, 10:08 PM
it'll come in handy...mostly when using scientific notation...but until you get the hang of it, it'll annoy the heck out of you that you worked it correctly, but got a wrong answer because you stuck in one too many places.

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-09-05, 10:13 PM
Well, you're right about the annoying part, I'm hoping the useful part is true. And, I see that the rules for addition are actually the same, but looked at the example problem, which was done wrong, and read the text, and it seemed different even though it was the same. I remember he said something about the way he did it was different, but I can't remember what right now.

Edit: All right, I see, the limit is just a cutoff point for rounding.

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-09-05, 10:26 PM
Wait, what would 5*5 be? The answer can only have one digit, right?

Jack Squat
2007-09-05, 10:40 PM
well, sort of. as I put in my first example, 5*5 would be 30. zeros don't count as digits if they come after a non-zero...then they're just place holders. The only time zeros do count are between a decimal and a non-zero, i.e. 1.01 to two sig figs is 1.0

Wayril
2007-09-05, 10:46 PM
Wait, what would 5*5 be? The answer can only have one digit, right?

The answer is 30. The Sig figs are really only used for scientific data (they account for inaccuracies in measurement) But when you collect data you always include the digits that can be read as well as one estimated one, so to yield something like 5in*5in=30in^2 you'd have to be measuring with something like a ruler without any markings (if distance)

Also there are some things that are not affected by sig figs, basically any constant known with complete accuracy (quite obvious why this isn't in sigfigs), and then a few other things (I don't quite remember what, but it's obvious and you'll know not to use them)

FoE
2007-09-06, 12:05 AM
Umm, sorry to get off topic, but did someone here say that hockey is not a sport?

Please, stranger, I invite you to come over to Canada to share your views. I suggest strolling into a bar — any bar will do, really — and announcing quite loudly that hockey is not a sport. Even better, if you can somehow get on national televison and repeat your views, that would be terrific. Your reception will be warm, indeed.

North
2007-09-06, 12:18 AM
This just in.

Luciano Paverotti has just died. Saw it on the news.

Lord Herman
2007-09-06, 12:24 AM
The answer is 30. The Sig figs are really only used for scientific data (they account for inaccuracies in measurement) But when you collect data you always include the digits that can be read as well as one estimated one, so to yield something like 5in*5in=30in^2 you'd have to be measuring with something like a ruler without any markings (if distance)

Wait, isn't the answer supposed to be 3*10^1? Scientifically, 30 means any number between 29.5 and 30.5, while 3*10^1 is any number between 25 and 35, which is the accuracy you actually have.

smellie_hippie
2007-09-06, 07:19 AM
This just in.

Luciano Paverotti has just died. Saw it on the news.

I am sad. :smallfrown:

I don't care for opera... but I am sad nonetheless.

Skippy
2007-09-06, 07:55 AM
I am sad. :smallfrown:

I don't care for opera... but I am sad nonetheless.

He was such a great person... He will be missed. I'm really sad, because I considered him a great example. Apart from Opera, he did lots of great things for lots of people in Bosnia and other countries at war. I hope others will continue his task.

Jack Squat
2007-09-06, 08:59 AM
Wait, isn't the answer supposed to be 3*10^1? Scientifically, 30 means any number between 29.5 and 30.5, while 3*10^1 is any number between 25 and 35, which is the accuracy you actually have.

it could be...but you don't actually need to put it in scientific notation unless it's Xx103 or higher

Least, that's what I was taught...could be wrong.

Zephra
2007-09-06, 09:43 AM
Umm, sorry to get off topic, but did someone here say that hockey is not a sport?

Please, stranger, I invite you to come over to Canada to share your views. I suggest strolling into a bar — any bar will do, really — and announcing quite loudly that hockey is not a sport. Even better, if you can somehow get on national televison and repeat your views, that would be terrific. Your reception will be warm, indeed.

No. Hockey is a sport. It is Golf that is most certainly not a sport.
:smallfurious: :smalltongue:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-09-06, 10:18 AM
I'm very excited about Halloween!!!

Eldpollard
2007-09-06, 10:20 AM
Why? Firstly it's September at the moment. Secondly all it involves is getting children to eat second rate sweets given to them by strange people.
I may give them toffee onions this year.

smellie_hippie
2007-09-06, 10:21 AM
I'm very excited about Halloween!!!

You're not allowed to get excited about Halloween yet! There's another very important holiday to celebrate first! :smalltongue:

Here. (http://www.talklikeapirate.com/)

Skippy
2007-09-06, 10:22 AM
Arr! Ye be right, mate!

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-09-06, 10:30 AM
Why? Firstly it's September at the moment. Secondly all it involves is getting children to eat second rate sweets given to them by strange people.
I may give them toffee onions this year.

Its a chance to wear a chicken hat and not have people give me weird looks. That's very exciting.

^^ I can't wear a chicken hat then, though.

Zephra
2007-09-06, 10:31 AM
I was a giant clam for halloween once (a long time ago)
I made it myself!

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-09-06, 11:02 AM
I was a giant clam for halloween once (a long time ago)
I made it myself!

Cool!! Pictures???

Skippy
2007-09-06, 11:04 AM
Cool!! Pictures???

No, you've got it wrong, it's: Pixplzkthxbay

CurlyKitGirl
2007-09-06, 12:06 PM

First off, there's the jokey element. I know they are sports but I enjoy them. Skippyists hate sport; therfore they aren't sports.

And why's everyone talking about numbers?

Madmal
2007-09-06, 12:10 PM
Dunno, i'm just passing through this thread in my laziness...

FdL
2007-09-06, 01:54 PM
First off, there's the jokey element. I know they are sports but I enjoy them. Skippyists hate sport; therfore they aren't sports.

Oh, now I get it hehehe :p Thanks for the clarification :)

And why's everyone talking about numbers?

Dunno, I can't understand a word they say. Maths is not my forte, has never been. It makes me kinda itchy, reminds me of high school when I was struggling with that kind of stuff.

bosssmiley
2007-09-06, 02:17 PM
No, you've got it wrong, it's: Pixplzkthxbay

Oh wow. I actually understood that jabbering pidgin argot and was not overcome with a desire to beat you with my walking stick and steal your country. Does that mean I'm not proper English anymore? :smallbiggrin:

Hockey = sport
Ice hockey = combat form with added point scoring mechanism. :smallwink:
Golf = "A good walk spoiled" - Mark Twain

Hoggy
2007-09-06, 02:24 PM
I don't see how people can fight properly on ice, I tried to hit a friend once to see if I could whislt Ice-Skating and fell flat on me arse.

Eldpollard
2007-09-06, 03:23 PM
I don't see how people can fight properly on ice, I tried to hit a friend once to see if I could whislt Ice-Skating and fell flat on me arse.

We need boxing in the winter Olympics. We need more than just skiing etc.

Ceska
2007-09-06, 03:28 PM
Oh wow. I actually understood that jabbering pidgin argot and was not overcome with a desire to beat you with my walking stick and steal your country. Does that mean I'm not proper English anymore? :smallbiggrin:

No, it means you're getting into your 1960s.

FoE
2007-09-06, 09:04 PM
I was just at a fire that had the potential to be MUCH bigger than it was.

A few minutes ago I heard about a truck fire at the local fueling depot on my newspaper's fuel depot. I thought it was a simulation, because Thursday night is usually when the fire department does practices, but it turned out to be the real thing!

Somehow a fuel truck's engine started on fire. The engine was of course destroyed, but the firefighters managed to prevent the tank from going up in an explosion.

I always feel a bit exhilarated coming back from a fire, because they make such great photos. (I work at a newspaper, and now I have my cover shot for next week.) I feel bad, of course, for the business-owner whose property was destroyed, but on the other hand, I didn't start the fire. Had I been the first to spot it, I would have called 9-1-1. And if I could have somehow prevented the fire, I would have done so.

bosssmiley
2007-09-07, 10:37 PM
No, it means you're getting into your 1960s.

"Eggy's got hippies! Eggy's got hippies!" :smallmad:
On the bright side Eggy is also infested with The Avengers, The Prisoner and offshore pirate radio.

Quincunx
2007-09-08, 06:07 AM
Wait wait waitwaitwaitwaitaminute.

Offshore pirate radio from some island a stone's throw from the U.K. was fine, but when someone wants to buy an island and set up servers for pirated wares, suddenly they've gone too far?!

Ceska
2007-09-08, 06:45 AM
"Eggy's got hippies! Eggy's got hippies!" :smallmad:
On the bright side Eggy is also infested with The Avengers, The Prisoner and offshore pirate radio.
My point was more the loss of world power status that came with the loss of colonies, with the 1960s, while not the main part but the end of the decline, as personal epitome. More like the 1990s to the USSR even though you could take anything from 1924 on as decline. It's just the loss of the typical English attitude that came with the world power status.

JBakaka
2007-09-08, 08:47 AM
so does ultimate frisbee count as a sport? im guessing it does..
well it doesnt use a ball, but has a lot of running. I got into it a few weeks ago at uni, and i've really gotten into it.

hmm boxing in the Winter olympics? :smallconfused:

and i've never celebrated halloween, cos it doesn't happen much down under :smallfrown:

Scorpina
2007-09-08, 09:27 AM
and i've never celebrated halloween, cos it doesn't happen much down under :smallfrown:

I'd celebrate Halloween if I weren't busy celebrating my birthday.

I blame my mother. :smallsmile:

Zephra
2007-09-08, 10:13 AM
for my birthday, the whole of America goes to parties late at night, and drives drunk home! (dec 31)

the only birthday I'd rather have is feb 29

Dr. Bath
2007-09-08, 10:15 AM
We need boxing in the winter Olympics. We need more than just skiing etc.

Boxing on ice? I'd watch that. But I watch the winter Olimpics anyway, watching skiing is somehow theraputic.

Scorpina
2007-09-08, 10:16 AM
for my birthday, the whole of America goes to parties late at night, and drives drunk home! (dec 31)

And not just America either...

the only birthday I'd rather have is feb 29

That'd either be cool or it'd suck..

CurlyKitGirl
2007-09-08, 12:44 PM
One of my uncle's was born on Feb 29th. They moved his birthday to the 27 Feb-2nd March so he can celebrate it when he wants. It also means that technically he is only ten years old.

Vuurmeester
2007-09-08, 01:38 PM
Wouldn't boxing on ice be terribly difficult, I have trouble standing when I'm on ice, let alone fight on it (unless I have those thingamajammers my ancestors used when fighting the dretched spaniards on our glorious frozen rivers.)

-Vuurmeester, melting ice on the world since Prometheus.

CurlyKitGirl
2007-09-08, 01:41 PM
Which is why you'd have to have figure skaters doing it.:smallwink:

Vuurmeester
2007-09-08, 01:48 PM
That would be even worse, getting one of those skates in your body is pretty dangerous.

-Vuurmeester, bringing fire to the world since Prometheus.

Scorpina
2007-09-08, 01:49 PM
That's why it's boxing. No kicks allowed.

Evil_Pacifist
2007-09-08, 01:54 PM
That would be even worse, getting one of those skates in your body is pretty dangerous.

Sounds like something from a cheezy murder novel.

The Ice Skate Murders!

From the author who brought you "Murder With a Post-Hole-Digger" and "Stapler Time"...

... Comes the all new mystery special book thing!

I'm da Rogue!
2007-09-08, 03:51 PM

You tell me... (dec 24)

I think I was one of the few kids in the world whose birthday gift was delivered by Santa himself.

Scorpina
2007-09-08, 04:05 PM
You tell me... (dec 24)

I think I was one of the few kids in the world whose birthday gift was delivered by Santa himself.

Heh, random strangers gave me sweeties on my birthday. :smallbiggrin:

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-08, 04:38 PM
If I was Dutch or Belgian, my birthday (Dec 3) would be slightly cooler, being close to Sinterklaas.

Random: It's Guitar Hero, on the Internet! (http://www.addictinggames.com/supercrazy2.html) Granted, all the songs suck to listen to, but it's still fun. Only on a keyboard instead of a guitar emulation...which is slightly less cool.

bosssmiley
2007-09-08, 05:25 PM
Random: It's Guitar Hero, on the Internet! (http://www.addictinggames.com/supercrazy2.html) Granted, all the songs suck to listen to, but it's still fun. Only on a keyboard instead of a guitar emulation...which is slightly less cool.

ZRS, my respect and admiration for you (and your net-fu) grows daily. You rock like Motorhead mate!
Message ends.

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-08, 06:00 PM
Heh. After you get a few points, you get cooler songs like the Legend of Zelda theme...

*is lost in the game*

Trog
2007-09-08, 06:27 PM
Heh, random strangers gave me sweeties on my birthday. :smallbiggrin:

Me too. But that's what you get for dressing up and ringing doorbells.

*TPs House, smashes pumpkins*

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-09-08, 11:40 PM
If I was Dutch or Belgian, my birthday (Dec 3) would be slightly cooler, being close to Sinterklaas.

My birthdays the same day.

Skippy
2007-09-08, 11:45 PM
You tell me... (dec 24)

As a programmer, I can tell that your birthday falls a day before Halloween, right?

OK, cheap programmer joke...

You see, Oct 31=Dec 25...

Ah well...

FdL
2007-09-09, 01:38 AM
As a programmer, I can tell that your birthday falls a day before Halloween, right?

OK, cheap programmer joke...

You see, Oct 31=Dec 25...

Ah well...

I feel stupid because I didn't get this.

Please tell me either a) that I'm not or b) the explanation to the joke :p

ZombieRockStar
2007-09-09, 01:58 AM
I feel stupid because I didn't get this.

Please tell me either a) that I'm not or b) the explanation to the joke :p

25 in base 10 (decimal) is 31 in base 8 (octadecimal). It's kinda obscure, so don't feel stupid. The only reason I thought of it was because I've seen that kind of joke before.

JBakaka
2007-09-09, 03:41 AM
haha i remember that!
gotta love geeky jokes.
and on that note, theres this site where people submit calls made to tech support: Computer Stupidities (http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/)

@ ZRS: have you heard of this game called frets on fire (http://fretsonfire.sourceforge.net/)? If i remember correctly, you turn your keyboard upside down and hold it like a guitar

Eldpollard
2007-09-09, 10:52 AM
Help me everyone. I fear I may have become the epitome of the English cliché. I had home-made jam and scones. Now I'm having a cup of tea.

bosssmiley
2007-09-09, 11:13 AM
Help me everyone. I fear I may have become the epitome of the English cliché. I had home-made jam and scones. Now I'm having a cup of tea.

Do you have anything tweed in your wardrobe yet? No? There may yet be some hope for you to regress back to your preferred 21st century norms. Until then, enjoy the civilised life. Perhaps water the aspidistras, or listen to some Elgar on the gramophone... :smallwink:

Eldpollard
2007-09-09, 11:16 AM
I have the gramophone. No aspidistra thankfully. Probably due to reading Keep the aspidistra flying. Hmm, tweed. I want a tweed jacket now. Noo! There's no hope left for me.

Cyrano
2007-09-09, 11:40 AM
There's still hope! Mail me all yourr crumpets!

Mmmm....
Crumpets.

Eldpollard
2007-09-09, 11:45 AM
That would an odd thing to send through the post. I don't think they'd keep though. Can you get crumpet's in America? As they seem to be Britain specific.

Cyrano
2007-09-09, 11:50 AM
I have no idea. Here in Canadialand, we have thick, holey soft bready things that you toast, add butter and possibly jam to, and devour, and they're called crumpets, but given our penchant for authenticity it is unlikely they're anything like an English breakfast.
Buttery though.
Mmmmm.... rottet lactate secretion. I mean, butter.

EmeraldRose
2007-09-09, 11:51 AM
Mmm...food. I should go make lunch. For some reason I didn't eat breakfast.

:smalleek:

Eldpollard
2007-09-09, 11:53 AM
Those sound like crumpets to me. They're really good toasted. Then with butter. Damn I want some now. There really is no hope now is there? Well I guess all that's left is for me to collect teapots and have a house filled with cats.

Cyrano
2007-09-09, 11:59 AM
God, the butter! The overflowing butter! I swear, I need special devices to lift my crumpets after the weight of the melted butter on them. Surface tension is all that keeps the butter from spilling onto my plate.

Cats are nice though. Seriously, I would be English for the cats. I mean, come on! Relatively low maintenance. They're the best schemers around, so good villain advisors. And in a pinch, tasty as anything.

Eldpollard
2007-09-09, 12:10 PM
I have a villain cat. Long hair and all. I could sit with it and throw people to the piranhas. Yeah cats are low maintenance, a cat-flap and cat food. Then they can go about their day treating you with disdain.

Cyrano
2007-09-09, 12:14 PM
I don't understand...I sense a bit of discomfort in that post.
Why else would you want a cat?

Eldpollard
2007-09-09, 12:16 PM
It's because the cat's controlling me! Help me! Bad Kitty no!
I prefer cat's to dogs though.

Ceska
2007-09-09, 01:29 PM
My cat's have a villain human. Yes, I'm completely aware we're just the pets of cats, not the other way around. But I'm okay with that.

Vuzzmop
2007-09-09, 02:30 PM
Is my avatar working?

Eldpollard
2007-09-09, 02:32 PM
I can say with some certainty it is not. But you can just check your profile to see if it works.

Vuzzmop
2007-09-09, 02:44 PM
Hooray! It's alive! It's Alive!. I also invented a new word: "Vuzzmolicious". Feel free to use it in everyday conversation.

Lord Herman
2007-09-09, 02:53 PM
That's a Hermantastic idea!

Logic
2007-09-09, 03:10 PM
Hooray! It's alive! It's Alive!. I also invented a new word: "Vuzzmolicious". Feel free to use it in everyday conversation.

I think there needs to be a definition of the word before it can be added to the dictionary of Logic.

Midnight Son
2007-09-09, 03:37 PM
I think there needs to be a definition of the word before it can be added to the dictionary of Logic.Tasting of or pertaining to the taste of Vuzzmop.

Usage:

Zombie: You remember how good Vuzzmop tasted? This guy here is Vuzzmolicious!

Cyrano
2007-09-09, 05:15 PM
But Bierlicious sounds like a brand of alcohol! How will my name be adjectivized?

I am also inordinately pleased I will be performing this baby (http://youtube.com/watch?v=LlLPLO90fSk) with the WIYO.

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-09, 10:43 PM
It could be D'annalicous!
Blackleaflicous?
Emlicous?

Ceska
2007-09-09, 11:15 PM
Biersy? Biery? Bierig? Okay, the last one is an adjective based on beer.

Edit: In other note, my cats annoy me. They have food yet cry for it, I give it to Sunny's (the old cat) place and they eat like it never tasted better.

Generally they're a lot like "I want what he had" and when you answer it's absolutely the same "But I want it where he had it!".

But the only way to have Sunny eat when they're both around is feeding them next to him, otherwise Noelle either eats his food before he even reaches it or plays with his tail.

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-09, 11:41 PM
So, basically, your cats are like toddlers?

Ceska
2007-09-09, 11:44 PM
They're twelve weeks. We have them since four weeks, so yes, you could say that. Noelle is the most annoying little monster we ever had (out of the five cats we had until now) and worse than any I've ever known, Mignon just wants to sleep on your lap for hours. But she can be naughty too.

Em Blackleaf
2007-09-09, 11:49 PM
Mignon just wants to sleep on your lap for hours...

I love when cats do that!

Ceska
2007-09-09, 11:51 PM
So now I wanted to feed him, of course both are already there. I give them their food, he gets his. Mignon gets her food bowl, Noelle takes his and he runs off again. Great.

It's nice as long as she doesn't just try to get up over your feet when you're playing or something. At least she doesn't have six kilos, having Sunny on your lap for hours can be quite tiresome.

Vuurmeester
2007-09-10, 02:27 AM
@CSK: Your signature is true, for the most part, however I personally rate my race higher than the race of humans.

@Em Blackleaf: Happy birthday

Eldpollard
2007-09-10, 04:41 AM
Cats eh. Who'd have them?.. Well me I guess, probably millions of others. Thus proving that clichéd phrases aren't always correct. Even if they are common.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-09-10, 06:04 AM
Cats, cats are nice.

*Deep and meaningful there*

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j139/z-t/Birthday.png

Side note Happy Birthday to anyone who I missed. I shall be giving you more attention later in life, yet for now a picture will have to do.

Ceska
2007-09-10, 06:20 AM
I love when cats do that!
Talking about sleeping on my lap, Noelle just does it.

@CSK: Your signature is true, for the most part, however I personally rate my race higher than the race of humans.
That's why we call you arrogant. That's what the last part means.

Cats eh. Who'd have them?.. Well me I guess, probably millions of others. Thus proving that clichéd phrases aren't always correct. Even if they are common.
I don't know how many there are, but I think it's like a 1 to 1 rate of humans to cats in Austria.

Speaking of cats, I just saw this article from the ORF.

Waffenverbot für Katzen-Jäger
Jenen zwei Jägern, die in Nickelsdorf 66 Katzen erschossen haben sollen, hat die Bezirkshauptmannschaft Neusiedl am See nun Waffenverbot erteilt.

Jäger gaben Waffen bereits ab
Die Bezirkshauptmannschaft hat das Waffenverbot gegen die Jäger wegen des missbräuchlichen Verwendens von Waffen nach dem Jagdgesetz erlassen.

Außerdem wurde den beiden Männern entsprechend dem burgenländischen Jagdgesetz auch die Jagdkarten entzogen. Sie gaben ihre Waffen bereits ab.

Gefangen und erschossen
Die Männer sollen mit Lebendfallen Katzen gefangen und die Tiere mit einem Flobertgewehr erschossen haben.

Aufgeflogen war die Tierquälerei, als ein Mann aus Nickelsdorf Anzeige erstattet hatte, weil seine Katze verschwunden war. Der Mann hatte den Verdacht geäußert, dass ein Jäger das Tier gefangen und getötet habe.

Gerüchte über Unterschriftenaktion
Die Jäger hatten schließlich die tödlichen Schüsse gestanden. Seitens der Polizei war gegen die Jäger Anzeige erstattet worden - wegen Tierquälerei und Verstoßes gegen das burgenländische Jagdgesetz.

Mittlerweile sind die beiden Jäger also ihre Waffen los - das steht fest. Es gibt allerdings ein Gerücht, dass es eine Unterschriftenaktion für die Männer geben soll.

It tells of two hunters in Burgenland, that's the most eastern federal state in Austria, who killed 66 cats in Nickelsdorf, they had to give up their weapons and hunting licence, they already gave the weapons up.

They caught them in traps keeping them alive to then kill them with a "Flobertgewehr", that's a gun from 1846, harmless except for small animals in close range, in the past kids got it to play with it or as training weapon.

They got caught because a man complained his cat had not returned home and had a suspicion that hunters had killed it (which they had).

However, there's a rumour of a collecting of signatures for the men, that's the point that made me mad. :smallfurious: They're collecting signatures to get two animal tormentors who killed pets to get their hunting licences back?

2007-09-10, 06:23 AM

Ah! Quick, go outside and throw a cricket ball! If you can still bowl straight we may yet be able to save you, if not, I'm afraid your beyond all hope...

*turns to the side after looking at the body of a few other English Cricketers (in the losses sense possible of that word) and puts cold hand onto the neck of the one closest. *

She's dead Jim.

smellie_hippie
2007-09-10, 07:08 AM
*smellie_hippie points you towards the football season thread just a few slots down*

Do you think pigskin or soccer? That's the true test.

Skippy
2007-09-10, 08:52 AM
Does anyone know how boring can pokemon be when one has no one else to play with?

Yet, it's the only game I have...

[/rant]

Cyrano
2007-09-10, 03:12 PM
By the way, in reference to the top of the page, the adjective for me is now officially Dee-licious, of or pertaining to inconsistency or unintended insults.

Radikalskippy, allow me to amend that.

Does anyone know how boring can pokemon be?
Yes. Yes I do.

Bob_the_Mighty
2007-09-10, 03:49 PM
Does anyone know how boring can pokemon be when one has no one else to play with?

[/rant]

It's the only game you have for what?

Logic
2007-09-10, 06:05 PM

[/rant]
Admitting that you play pokemon is a little embarrassing.

Speaking of embarrassment, I thoroughly embarrassed myself twice in the span of five minutes.

First, I was staring at the unit patches on someone's uniform, trying to identify the unit. Normally, this would not be odd behavior, except the location of the patches (breast pockets) and the gender of the individual (female) made it look as if I were staring at something else.

Second, I was on the intercomm, and commented on how attractive the aircrew happened to be, not knowing that the aircrew had not left yet. :smallredface:

MandibleBones
2007-09-10, 06:08 PM
Normally, this would not be odd behavior, except the location of the patches (breast pockets) and the gender of the individual (female) made it look as if I were staring at something else.

Yes, but you know you're growing up and/or in the military when you're caught in that position and actually ARE checking the unit, AFSC or ribbons of the person in question.

Volug
2007-09-10, 06:09 PM
say happy birthday to me in the thread for it!!!

yay for my AFONAL!!!!

Scorpina
2007-09-10, 06:20 PM
Admitting that you play pokemon is a little embarrassing.

Speaking of embarrassment, I thoroughly embarrassed myself twice in the span of five minutes.

First, I was staring at the unit patches on someone's uniform, trying to identify the unit. Normally, this would not be odd behavior, except the location of the patches (breast pockets) and the gender of the individual (female) made it look as if I were staring at something else.

Second, I was on the intercomm, and commented on how attractive the aircrew happened to be, not knowing that the aircrew had not left yet. :smallredface:

Was the lady with the interesting 'badges' a member of the aircrew?

Logic
2007-09-10, 06:25 PM
Yes, she was. :smallredface: This is the reason why it was as embarrasing as it was. If I had done only one of the two actions, perhaps it would not be so bad. (I know this looks really bad, but I was just looking at the patches!)

Scorpina
2007-09-10, 06:27 PM
Yes, she was. :smallredface: This is the reason why it was as embarrasing as it was. If I had done only one of the two actions, perhaps it would not be so bad. (I know this looks really bad, but I was just looking at the patches!)

Heh, well, maybe if you're lucky she thinks you're cute and that'll be a story to tell the offspring in the distant future.

...that was uncharictersitcally optimistic...

Logic
2007-09-10, 06:31 PM
Heh, well, maybe if you're lucky she thinks you're cute and that'll be a story to tell the offspring in the distant future.

...that was uncharictersitcally optimistic...

That event seems unlikely, as I would assume she would have said something.

And I don't recall you being terribly pessimistic, so is this a new trend?

Scorpina
2007-09-10, 06:32 PM
That event seems unlikely, as I would assume she would have said something.

Maybe she's shy...

And I don't recall you being terribly pessimistic, so is this a new trend?

...apparently just a quiet one...

2007-09-10, 06:36 PM
^I tried being pessimistic once, I knew it would never work.

She had almost collected all the badges up to the supreme four![/pokemon reference, yet now I think about it, I'm pretty sure it wasn't supreme. That makes them sound like a type of pizza....]

Scorpina
2007-09-10, 06:39 PM
It was the Elite Four, Grandad. Did you forget your medication again? :smallbiggrin:

EmeraldRose
2007-09-10, 06:47 PM
Ahhh...Death and Susan. Two of my favorite characters. I'm rereading Reaper Man, and just finished..hmm...Lords and Ladies, and Hogfather. I'll probably go on to one of the other witches books next...

Eventually, I'll just make the cycle back through all of Pratchett. The only order will be whatever I pick up next. :smallbiggrin:

Scorpina
2007-09-10, 06:48 PM
Lords and Ladies is one of my favourites. I like all the witches ones, naturally.

I have a signéd copy of Wintersmith. *huggles it*

sktarq
2007-09-10, 06:50 PM
Actually, being death, he gets most of his news from his "clients" and there was quite a battle over how to translate that particular phrase. Needless to say with his client advocating his own position so well our friend death seems failed to realize why the proponent of this side of the argument was his client in the first place.

EmeraldRose
2007-09-10, 06:50 PM
Wintersmith is a great one! I'd have to read the other Tiffany/ Feegle books first though... Just because, you can never have enough Feegles :smallwink:

I might actually pick up Pyramids next, now that I think about it. I think it was kinda funny...

sktarq
2007-09-10, 06:53 PM
Ooh Pratchett.....I remember the cops got called once while I was reading Fifth Elephant. It seems the neighbors thought I must be having a drug crazed meltdown because I was laughing hard enough that they were "concerned" and were filing a noise complaint....I thiink it was a first for the cop too.

Scorpina
2007-09-10, 07:06 PM
Wintersmith is a great one! I'd have to read the other Tiffany/ Feegle books first though... Just because, you can never have enough Feegles :smallwink:

Indeed you can't! I think Wintersmith is the best Tiffany book (so far) though.

I might actually pick up Pyramids next, now that I think about it. I think it was kinda funny...

Pyramid's is a lot of fun. Zeno's Paradox is a high point. :smallbiggrin:

Ooh Pratchett.....I remember the cops got called once while I was reading Fifth Elephant. It seems the neighbors thought I must be having a drug crazed meltdown because I was laughing hard enough that they were "concerned" and were filing a noise complaint....I thiink it was a first for the cop too.

Hehe, awesome.

adanedhel9
2007-09-10, 08:02 PM
I'm not a Pratchet guru, but I really enjoyed Thud!, which I picked up at a Half-Priced Books several weeks ago. I found the tone to be bit more serious, which fits my tastes better than the other Pratchet books I've read. Plus, the entire tale is one of cultural clash and reconciliation, which are topics I gravitate to in more serious literature.

In other news, I'm off to a bad start this week. I'm in training for the whole week on the other side of the Twin Cities, which has lengthened my daily commute from 10 minutes to 40+ minutes. That alone is annoying. On top of that, I think the chairs in this training center are out to get me: I just couldn't get comfortable, and after about 2 hours, the discomfort turned into pain. This is the worst my back's been in quite some time... stupid genetics... stupid uncomfortable chairs...

Okay, I'm done complaining. I'm going to go lay on the ground in front of the football game and try to stretch my back out.

Ceska
2007-09-11, 12:06 AM
And Noelle had her third mouse in her life. Sunny brought it with him when he came into the house, at first playing with it and then giving it to her. She ate it, for some reason she likes to do that, while he hates the taste of them. He seemed quite proud of her, even though he's quite cold against the two of them, especially Mignon.

*Goes back to pet Mignon sleeping on lap*

Hannes
2007-09-11, 12:25 AM
I is bored, let's talk about something interesting!

Skippy
2007-09-11, 12:37 AM
Do you have any theme in mind? I'd love to post one, but I tend to kill this thread...

Ah well, seen the movie "About a boy"? I just saw it today, I laughed a lot when the kid killed the duck...

EDIT: See? Told ya...

Rex Idiotarum
2007-09-11, 10:00 AM
Grr... I hate my car.

Recently I have had battery troubles. It just won't start without a jumper kit. Well that wouldn't be trouble but...

Recently, it's been really cranky, and on rainy days, or days where the moister from the last rains still about, it just doesn't ride right, it shakes rather than put all of it's effort on the road.

Well, combining the two made it nearly impossible to start today, but finally, after several minutes straight of just turning the key and wearing on the engine, It finally turned over. And I kept it that way.

I stop taking stop signs like stop signs, and more like yield signs, because, as it turns out, I have a 50% chance of stalling out when coming to a complete stop, and then I have to jump the battery again. which is why I hate to be behind people.

Ceska
2007-09-11, 11:59 AM
Man, it's that day again. My birthday and nobody cares because of the towers. Every damn time.

Besides, the bombing of Baghdad was by far more impressive. It was around 20:00 and breaking news when it happened, the first time I had seen a dark sky lighted out by bombs live.

Jack Squat
2007-09-11, 12:34 PM
Grr... I hate my car.

Recently I have had battery troubles. It just won't start without a jumper kit. Well that wouldn't be trouble but...

Recently, it's been really cranky, and on rainy days, or days where the moister from the last rains still about, it just doesn't ride right, it shakes rather than put all of it's effort on the road.

Well, combining the two made it nearly impossible to start today, but finally, after several minutes straight of just turning the key and wearing on the engine, It finally turned over. And I kept it that way.

I stop taking stop signs like stop signs, and more like yield signs, because, as it turns out, I have a 50% chance of stalling out when coming to a complete stop, and then I have to jump the battery again. which is why I hate to be behind people.

Rex...it sounds like you may need a new alternator, that should at least fix the battery problem. Don't bother taking it too a mechanic unless you need to though; it's about a $60 part, and they'll charge a couple hundred to replace it.

Instead, just get a $15-20 book that shows you how to take everything out and replace it. They're availiable at any auto parts store.

sktarq
2007-09-11, 12:43 PM
Man, it's that day again. My birthday and nobody cares because the towers. Every damn time.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! e-hugs. heck someone's gotta be happy today.

smellie_hippie
2007-09-11, 12:43 PM
Man, it's that day again. My birthday and nobody cares because the towers. Every damn time.

Besides, the bombing of Baghdad was by far more impressive. It was around 20:00 and breaking news when it happened, the first time I had seen a dark sky lighted out by bombs live.

Happy Birthday CSK!! Don't let it ruin your parade. terrible things happened today, but great things too! Enjoy your AFNOAL thingie!

:smallbiggrin:

Ceska
2007-09-11, 12:48 PM
Heh, I got most of the lewt earlier this year. I'd also show you, but I guess I can't get the cats onto a picture with a monitor and Dream Theater CD's. :smallbiggrin:

Besides, terrible things happened each day, it's just too young. At least it wasn't the first this month. :smallwink:

Lord Herman
2007-09-11, 12:50 PM
Happy AFONAL day!

I just found out I have the same birthday as Geronimo! :smallbiggrin:

Rex Idiotarum
2007-09-11, 01:09 PM
Well, Jack, I wouldn't jump on the alternator. I just replaced the terminals, which were horribly cracked. It's hasn't been stalling while I was mid-driving anymore since I replaced the positive, and I'm sure the alternator is charging. So, Rather than the $50 replacement of my third alternator, I'll see if the $10 terminal change helps. Yeah, I've been through this before.

Jack Squat
2007-09-11, 01:24 PM
Well, Jack, I wouldn't jump on the alternator. I just replaced the terminals, which were horribly cracked. It's hasn't been stalling while I was mid-driving anymore since I replaced the positive, and I'm sure the alternator is charging. So, Rather than the $50 replacement of my third alternator, I'll see if the $10 terminal change helps. Yeah, I've been through this before.

Yeah...that might be a better thing to test out.

I am in no way a mechanic; I just know what's been wrong with my car and how to fix it. And the only things that have been wrong is the alternator gave out after about 150,000 miles (wish cars had hours run, seeing as how no one turns off their cars at every stop) and a couple coolant tube connectors cracked; so I know that and how to change oil and brakes.

Now I have a 'new' car ('97 Jeep Wrangler, as opposed to a '97 Chevy Suburban), so I get to learn a mess of new problems :smalltongue:

Rex Idiotarum
2007-09-11, 01:53 PM
Ah, used cars, there's nothing better than getting greasy, laying on a garage floor, and whacking at it with a wrench, a hammer, and some nails.

Jack Squat
2007-09-11, 02:00 PM
Haven't had to use nails yet...but I've done plenty of hitting things

sktarq
2007-09-11, 03:47 PM
Watch it with the nails....while working on a supra we were using nails as tempory holding pins (instead of the larger bolts) when one snapped broke and hit someone who backed into the wall-knocking over the leaf spring for a larger truck onto my legs (got lucky-not seriously damaged but it hurt in very odd ways)

Rex Idiotarum
2007-09-11, 06:02 PM
Hm... all I know is that the roof of my car is now hurricane proof.