PDA

View Full Version : Tank Fighter PrC

deshrimp
2007-08-22, 10:52 PM
Well, Here I am again. This time with a Prestige Class. After many days of searching for a Good Fighter prestige class, I came to the conclusion, that not many are that good for a straight fighter. So without further comments, here is my Tank Fighter Prestige Class.

TANK FIGHTER
Defense, Strength, Fear. These are the things that I live for. No single creature shall every bring me down. Should you cross my path, you will not live to cross it again. - Kroegnaar, Tank Fighter

Adventures: Tank Fighters adventure for many reasons, but most adventure seeking greater strength and power. Most Tank Fighters that are found adventuring have usually made a deal with his companions offering his protection for their money. Some adventure for the sake of protecting others, and many evil tank fighters adventure to gain power.
Characteristics: Tank Fighters fight with extreme strength and valor. Often the first into battle and the last ones out, they can take an assault from several opponents at once. They earn respect from others through battle, because they are the ones who take the most damage. Their reputation as the elite of fighters serves them well, and often causes others to fear them. This can be helpful for the Tank Fighter but can also cause problems for them. Many kings and lords seek Tank Fighters for wars knowing that they will aide them well in the defeat of many enemies. With the aid of clerics and priests, they can become deadly forces. A Tank Fighter also has the ability to become unstoppable if not taking out quickly, making them dangerous to fight. It is known that many tank fighters usually need the assistance of a wizard or cleric to aid them in warding off mind-controlling spells.
Fighters are the most common warriors to become Tank Fighters, while in rare cases it is not unheard of for a Barbarian to become a Tank Fighter. Clerics who follow this path due so out of a desire to further protect their church.
Alignment: Tank fighters align themselves with their own desires. If they do worship a deity or lord, they tend to reflect the path of his god or master. Tank fighters who are Good, are usually protectors or defenders, who serve the meek. Evil tank fighters serve as destroyers seeking power and fear. The lawful tank fighters are servants of the Lords of the lands, upholding the law and causing fear in those who wish to resist those laws. Chaotic tank fighters are those who wish to use their abilities for purposes that aid themselves. Hiring themselves out as mercenaries, they aim to make a profit while doing what they love, fighting.
Religion: Many of the Tank Fighters who actually worship, follow a deity who favors strength and power. Some follow a deity who provides protection. And few even support the desires of the gods of death and destruction.
Background: Tank Fighters have been around as long as the first armor was forged. They are born from the desire to be strong and to destroy. They often arise during times of war, from the strongest of fighters, who wish to survive, and serve their army well. Many tank fighters have their background within armies or the local town guard. In most backgrounds, tank fighters have had some military background, while a few are aspiring warriors of small villages or tribes.
Races: Tank Fighters can come from any race; however, the smaller races tend to follow other opportunities due to their small stature and nimble features. Humans, Half-orcs and dwarves are the usual candidates for the ranks of the tank fighters, while the more frail races who do follow this path do so out of desire to make themselves less frail, or to simply offset their small frames with abilities that many would not expect from them. Most tank fighters tend to focus on a racial weapon, such as the dwarven waraxe.
Other Classes: The tank fighter is the front line warrior who excels in a melee fight. They rely on wizards and sorcerers for backup when surrounded. They often have the mages center their spells on them, risking the pain for the overall damage on the enemies. Ranged combatants are of great help to the tank fighter, as they provide them with a way to take out the enemy spellcasters. Tank fighters understand that the ways of the arcane and divine are needed to help keep him alive.
Tank fighters get along real well with clerics and wizards since they provide him with buffs and healing which in a major battle, keep him alive. They also know that the sneaky ways of a rogue provides useful support in combat to help take out the ranged enemies quicker.
Role: Most parties that enlist the aid of a tank fighter due so to give them a better front line melee combatant who charges into battle while the rest of the party supports him with spells, ranged attacks, and other effects. Tank fighters rarely favor ranged combat as it doesn't help him out very much. However, when they do, they tend to stay back and protect the spellcasters.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Tank Fighters have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Strength is the main focus for tank fighters because it greatly increases the damage dealt. Constitution is also a key focus for tank fighters due to the increase in hit points it offers, which they need in their many battles as the main attacker. Wisdom is needed for those who wish to better withstand the inevitable enemy mind-affecting spells.
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d12.

REQUIREMENTS: To qualify to become a Tank Fighter, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Intimidate 9 ranks
Feats: Armor Proficiency (heavy), Cleave, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Power Attack, Iron Will, Endurance
Special: The character must have fought at least 3 opponents at once and survived. The opponents need not be enemies but the battle must have concluded by either party being defeated (not necessarily killed).
The Character must also have been involuntarily affected by at least 4 bad mind-affecting spells.

Class Skills: The Tank Fighter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (cha), Craft (int), Intimidate (cha), Listen (wis), and Spot (wis)
See Chapter 4: Skills in the Player’s Handbook for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int Modifier.

Table: Tank Fighter
LVL BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1 +1 +2 +0 +0 Tanker, Bonus Feat
2 +2 +3 +0 +0 Heavy Armor Defense
3 +3 +3 +1 +1 Armor Mastery, War Taunt
4 +4 +4 +1 +1 Bonus Feat
5 +5 +4 +1 +1 Powerful Build
6 +6 +5 +2 +2 Ability Boost +2 (Str)
7 +7 +5 +2 +2 Bonus Feat
8 +8 +6 +2 +2 Ability Boost +2 (Con)
9 +9 +6 +3 +3 Improved War Taunt
10 +10 +7 +3 +3 Bonus Feat, Construct Self
Class Features
All of the following are class features for the Tank Fighter Prestige Class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Tank Fighters gains proficiency with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

Tanker (Ex): A Tank Fighter learns of his great strength in battle. In an attempt to use it, he frightens other creatures with every waiting action. This, in turn, allows a Tank Fighter to use his Strength modifier with his intimidate skill instead of his Charisma modifier. This can only be used when a Tank Fighter is wearing heavy armor and is in a battle-ready position.
A Tank Fighter has seen the scariest things in life. Most of them he has overcome, but some still wait to torture him. In an effort to face his fears, he has learned that fears are nothing but unneeded emotions. The character gains a +2 inherent bonus vs. all non-magical fear effects. At 5th level, he gains a +4 inherent bonus vs. all non-magical fear effects and a +2 bonus vs. magical fear effects. At 9th level, a Tank Fighter gains a +6 inherent bonus vs. all non-magical fear effects and a +4 bonus vs. magical fear effects. These bonuses stack with any magical effect from spells or abilities such as the Paladin’s Aura of Courage. This effect applies only when wearing Heavy Armor.

Bonus Feat: A Tank Fighter has journeyed all over. Throughout his journeys he has picked up extraordinary teachings from different experts. At 1st level a Tank Fighter gains a Bonus Feat chosen from the same list as a Fighter. He can also choose the feat Supreme Cleave (see below). The character gains a bonus feat again at 4th 7th and 10th level.

Heavy Armor Defense: A Tank Fighter has used his set of armor throughout his adventures. Because of this, he has grown accustom to wearing heavy armor and he is an expert when using it. When wearing heavy armor, the tank fighter gains a +1 bonus to AC. This bonus to AC applies even against touch attacks or when the tank fighter is flat-footed. However he loses this bonus when he is immobilized, helpless, or has lost his Dexterity bonus by an outside source. This ability only works while he is wearing heavy armor.

Armor Mastery: A Tank Fighter has grown extremely accustomed to wearing heavy armor. This has two different effects on him. At 3rd level, his armor begins to feel almost like a second skin to him, allowing him to ignore the standard speed reduction for wearing heavy armor. Also because he is so accustomed to it, he can now take it on and off in half the time as well as sleep in it.

War Taunt: At 3rd level a Tank Fighter is an expert at taunting his opponent. He can divert attention to him instead of the enemy focusing on his weaker friends. As a standard action he can taunt the enemy, suffering a -4 to his AC. All enemies within close range (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels) must make a Will save (DC 10 + Tank Fighter level + Strength modifier) or become compelled to attack the Tank Fighter as if he were the only opponent. Spell casters may still use their spells, but must choose the tank fighter as the target, or center the spell on the tank fighter. Every 2 levels afterwards, the DC of this ability increases by +1. Creatures that fail or make their save may not be affected by this ability again for 24 hours. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 tank fighter level + his Strength modifier. This ability is a [mind-affecting] ability. Creatures must be able to see and hear the tank fighter. Those that are blind or deaf gain a +2 bonus to resist. Those that are deaf and blind are immune to this ability. This ability is only useable when wearing Heavy Armor.

Powerful Build (Su): At 5th level the physical stature of a Tank Fighter lets him function in many ways as if he were one size category larger. Whenever a Tank Fighter is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Tank Fighter is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Tank Fighter is also considered to be one size larger when determining a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Tank Fighter can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this ability stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category. The Tank Fighter is treated as one size larger when determining size for a class requirement.

Ability Boost (Str): As a Tank Fighter journeys throughout the land, he improves his physical status. He learns early on that the stronger you are, the quicker your enemies fall. At his 8th level, he gains a permanent +2 bonus to his Strength score. This bonuses stack with all other ones to his Strength score.

Ability Boost (Con): A Tank Fighter has come to have many close death experiences, and as a result, he learns that the tougher he is, the longer he survives. At 8th level the Tank Fighter gains a permanent +2 bonus to his Constitution score. This bonus stacks with all other bonuses to his Constitution.

Improved War Taunt: The Tank fighter has learned how to aggravate opponents who have developed immunity to mind-affecting abilities. At 9th level, a tank fighter's war taunt may now affect those that are immune to mind-affecting spells and abilities. Any creature normally immune to mind-affecting abilities gains a +4 to resist. The penalty for using War taunt decreases to -2 to AC. Creatures that are deaf and blind gain a +6 to resist.

Construct Self (Ex): At 10th level, a Tank fighter has become the essence of war, much like a construct. The tank fighter's type changes to Living Construct. He gains all the following traits.
* Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, effects that cause the sickened condition, and energy drain.
* Not subject to critical hits.
* Not at risk of death from massive damage
* A Tank Fighter can be raised or resurrected.
A tank fighter also gains a +2 bonus vs all mind-affecting spells.

Ex Tank Fighters:
A character that stops gaining levels still retains all abilities, may continue to gain levels at anytime should he still meet the requirements of the Tank Fighter class.

Side Notes:
* The class bonus to AC stacks with both Heavy Armor Optimization and Greater Heavy Armor Optimization feats should a Tank fighter select them.
* The Monkey grip feat should not be allowed to stack with the Powerful Build ability. This is up to the DM however, and he may or may not allow them to stack.
* Maneuvers and Stances are optional.

New Feats
SUPREME CLEAVE [GENERAL]
You can wield a melee weapon with such power and speed that you can move and strike multiple times when you fell your foes.
Prerequisites: Str 13, Cleave, Great Cleave, Power Attack, base attack bonus +6.
Benefit: This feat works like Great Cleave, except that it allows a 5-foot step between Cleaves up to half your total movement speed per round.
Special: A fighter may select Supreme Cleave as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Optional

LVL Maneuvers Known Maneuvers Readied Stances Known
1 0 0 0
2 1 0 0
3 1 1 0
4 2 1 0
5 2 1 1
6 3 2 1
7 3 2 1
8 4 2 1
9 4 3 1
10 5 3 2

Maneuvers: At 2nd level, and again at every other level, a tank fighter gains a new maneuver known from the either the Diamond Heart, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, or White Raven disciplines. He must meet the prerequisite to learn it. You add your full tank fighter levels to your initiator level to determine your total initiator level and your highest-level maneuvers known.
At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level, a tank fighter may ready an additional maneuver per day.

Stances Known: At 5th level, you learn a new martial stance from the Diamond Heart, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, or White Raven disciplines. At 10th level you may learn a second stance. You must meet a stance’s prerequisite to learn it.

Korias
2007-08-22, 10:56 PM
The only thing I see wrong is the "Ex Tank Warrior" tidbit. It doesnt really fit, as theirs nothing preventing the Tank Warrior of ever STOPPING being a Tank warrior, like a Paladin stops being a Paladin.

deshrimp
2007-08-22, 11:03 PM
Its there for those who wish to know their options. Some people might want to multiclass out of it for one or two levels then go back.

So thats why its there.

Korias
2007-08-22, 11:05 PM
Its there for those who wish to know their options. Some people might want to multiclass out of it for one or two levels then go back.

So thats why its there.

But you can do that with any other class. Either way, Solid Class, Solid build. I forsee this as being very powerful on an epic build.

deshrimp
2007-08-22, 11:52 PM
But you can do that with any other class. Either way, Solid Class, Solid build. I forsee this as being very powerful on an epic build.Thanks. This specific class of mine actually took me almost a year to get it the way it is. I've had a couple of DMs look at it, other players i've gamed with, as well as the folks over at the wizards.com forums.

I figured the more people I can get to look at it, the better and more balanced it becomes.

As for the epic levels, I shall take a look at the class and move it to epic progression.

EDIT:
Heres what I've ome up with so far for epic progression:

11 Bonus Feat
13 Ability Boost (Str, Con)
14 Bonus Feat
16 Ability Boost (Str, Con)
17 Bonus Feat
19 Ability Boost (Str, Con)
20 Bonus FeatI'm debating whether or not to continue the AC bonus

starwoof
2007-08-23, 03:03 AM
GAME RULE INFORMATION

REQUIREMENTS
To qualify to become a Tank Fighter, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
Strength: 16
Constitution: 16
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Armor Proficiency: Heavy Armor.
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Dodge, Cleave, Power Attack,
Special: The character must have fought at least 3 opponents at once and survived. The opponents need not be enemies but the battle must have been concluded by either party being defeated (not necessarily killed).
The Character must also have been affected by at least 2 mind-affecting spells, be it good or bad.

A PRC should never have a minimum ability score to enter. Otherwise this looks really well fleshed out.

And how weird is it that I post this while watching Full Metal Alchemist?:smallwink:

Tower
2007-08-23, 04:45 AM
Maybe instead of the 16 minimums, you could have an minimum Str and Con +(x) bonus. That way those naturally under 16 could use items?

I would maybe change it so the Will BAB progression was higher, perhaps axe one or two bonus feats or give Iron Will instead of a Bonus feat?

starwoof
2007-08-23, 06:27 AM
Maybe instead of the 16 minimums, you could have an minimum Str and Con +(x) bonus. That way those naturally under 16 could use items?

I would maybe change it so the Will BAB progression was higher, perhaps axe one or two bonus feats or give Iron Will instead of a Bonus feat?

You cant take anything class that's prerequisites are granted by items. Generally a PRC would have a prerequisite feat that requires the prerequisite ability, but I dont think there are any that require 16 str/con. I would just drop the ability prerequisite entirely.

I love the word prerequisite! :smallsmile:

GNUsNotUnix
2007-08-23, 09:50 AM
That's a lot of first level abilities. Seems front-loaded enough for your average fighter to dip into.

deshrimp
2007-08-23, 10:13 AM
Ok. Ability Scores not needed. Same argument I got on Wizards boards. The ability scores i guess arent that required, especially if you use the point buy system. Since I've got several other requirements, I will drop them.

Being front-loaded was not intended. Moving War Taunt ability to 3rd level.

And how weird is it that I post this while watching Full Metal Alchemist?:smallwink:This class is in no way related to FMA, I just had a hard time finding a heavily armored person picture.

deshrimp
2007-08-27, 09:32 PM
Updated

Ok, Ive made the changes
* Removed Ability score requirments
* Moved War Taunt ability to 3rd level
* Modified War Taunt ability: Changed range, and added [sonic] descriptor

deshrimp
2007-08-28, 02:07 AM
Updated.

Ok heres what I did this time around
* Modified a couple of abilities slightly
* Good Will Save
* Rearranged abilities
* Removed Third Str Increase

RMS Oceanic
2007-08-28, 05:30 AM
Three things:

1. Rather than giving them a generic +X bonus to AC, I'd say their armor bonus to AC is improved by X while wearing heavy armor.
2. Would all heavy armor benefits apply to mithral full plate?
3. Where is the Supreme Cleave feat you mentioned?

deshrimp
2007-08-28, 10:30 AM
Three things:

1. Rather than giving them a generic +X bonus to AC, I'd say their armor bonus to AC is improved by X while wearing heavy armor.
2. Would all heavy armor benefits apply to mithral full plate?
3. Where is the Supreme Cleave feat you mentioned?Ok
1. The AC bonus I'll take care of that in a minute.
2. Yes. Technically Full Plate is Heavy, even though the material makes it medium. I'll note that in a minute
3. Sorry bout the feat. posting it

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-08-28, 10:59 AM
It looks like a fun class, I have a few minor note because I'm perfectionistic though.

Soon, the huge army of gnolls began to dwindle down as these fighters continued to slice through one after another. Soon, only a few gnolls remained, and they began to flee, only to be cut down by the two Tank Fighters.
You used soon twice, it makes for a very odd read, if you don't care please leave it as it is, but personally I'd change one of the into something different

Assault (Ex): Starting at 4th level, the Tank Fighter can make one extra attack in a round at his highest base attack bonus. Any penalties from wielding a weapon in your off hand still apply. For example a Fighter 6/Tank Fighter 2 has a base attack bonus of +8/+3/+8. If this ability is used when wearing armor less than heavy, he gains a +2 to the attack.

You gain this ability at 4th level but your example uses an lvl 2 tank fighter. Also I'd write the attack routine as +8/+8/+3, the monk also uses this format for flurry. These are just minor notes, the last part however makes no sense at all, you make a heavy armour fighter prestige class with a load of abilities that only work in heavy armour, but this ability works better without heavy armour?

deshrimp
2007-08-28, 12:17 PM
You used soon twice, it makes for a very odd read, if you don't care please leave it as it is, but personally I'd change one of the into something differentNot intended, but yea i'll fix it.

You gain this ability at 4th level but your example uses an lvl 2 tank fighter. Also I'd write the attack routine as +8/+8/+3, the monk also uses this format for flurry. These are just minor notes, the last part however makes no sense at all, you make a heavy armour fighter prestige class with a load of abilities that only work in heavy armour, but this ability works better without heavy armour?The reason for the example is because I moved the ability to 4th from 2nd, and forgot about that. Also it is similar to the monks fury but without the penalties. As for the last part of it. You gain the ability to make an extra attack. When not in heavy armor (why you wouldnt be in it I dont know) your attacks are faster (due to the force it takes to make those attacks in heavy armor). Thus the +2 when not in heavy armor.

deshrimp
2007-08-28, 12:56 PM
Ok. Heres whats done this time

Updates:
* Changed Grammer
* Fixed Examples in the Assault and Advanced Assault abilities
* Added Supreme Cleave Feat
* Fixed AC Bonus descriptor
* Added Note about Mitheral Armor.

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-08-28, 01:00 PM
As for the last part of it. You gain the ability to make an extra attack. When not in heavy armor (why you wouldnt be in it I dont know) your attacks are faster (due to the force it takes to make those attacks in heavy armor). Thus the +2 when not in heavy armor.

That still makes very little sense, why do they only get the +2 on their extra attacks? Why don't normal fighters who usually wear heavy armour gain this bonus? If being used to heavy armour make you quicker without it and shouldn't it also work the other way around then? (as in characters wearing heavy armour get -2 to hit until they are used to it)

On an unrelated note, I was wondering if someone with more experience could tell me if this class and (adv)assault in particularity are balanced compared to other melee PrC classes.

deshrimp
2007-08-28, 01:05 PM
That still makes very little sense, why do they only get the +2 on their extra attacks? Why don't normal fighters who usually wear heavy armour gain this bonus? If being used to heavy armour make you quicker without it and shouldn't it also work the other way around then? (as in characters wearing heavy armour get -2 to hit until they are used to it)youve got a point there. Ability is now changed.

deshrimp
2007-09-11, 09:00 PM
The Class has been Updated. Extensively. Please check it out.

StickMan
2007-09-11, 09:57 PM
Wow I take my hate off to you sir. Great work.

vivi
2007-09-11, 10:51 PM
seems pretty unbalanced with the other classes, I think you should remove the stat increase, but cool concept.

StickMan
2007-09-12, 08:32 AM
seems pretty unbalanced with the other classes, I think you should remove the stat increase, but cool concept.

What other classes Cleric, Druid, Wizard, cause compared to them and then some of the PRC its not that strong. Lots of PRC give stat increases there is nothing wrong with that.

OverdrivePrime
2007-09-12, 09:52 AM
It's truly a pretty sweet class that any heavy fighter would be nuts to pass up on. I don't really think you should take anything out of the class, however I think that because it is so powerful, you should set the bar for entry higher, and perhaps make a skill requirement. Maybe set BAB to +10 and Intimidate +13 or so.

I envision a Fighter 4/Barbarian 6 being positively insane with this class. A fighter/knight would also be very strong to enter with.

deshrimp
2007-09-13, 10:08 PM
good point on the level requirment I think i'll boost it to 8th.

Intimidate ill have as needing 8 ranks, and the BAB +8.

That puts this class at mid range.

I also feel that it needs another decent ability either at 9th or 10th level.

StickMan
2007-09-13, 10:28 PM
How about something like body of the tank you gain damage reduction 5/-.

deshrimp
2007-09-14, 10:34 AM
That sounds good. Hows about this

Ultimate Tank: A tank fighter who obtains the 10th level of this class is recognized as and ultimate warrior. The tank fighter gains DR 3/-, this stacks with any other DR. He also gains the Defensive Stance ability (see Dwarven Defender, DMG), usable 1/day. This ability is only usable in heavy armor.

Any other suggestions would be nice. Thanks

deshrimp
2008-01-19, 03:28 PM
Complete Revision!!!

After 4 months of work, It is finally nearing a completed stage. Now I just need people to review it more.

IT HAS BEEN ALOMST COMPLETEY REWRITTEN

Stycotl
2008-01-21, 01:12 AM
good point on the level requirment I think i'll boost it to 8th.

Intimidate ill have as needing 8 ranks, and the BAB +8.

i think that common practice is to put skill requirements equal to the max for the hd or bab req, so a +8 bab, assuming intimidate as a class skill, would require 11 ranks in intimidate. wow, that sounds like direct translation from japanese. lemme know if this is not clear.