PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next College of Repose

Chevallaine
2018-01-05, 02:48 AM
Undead Slayer Bard

COLLEGE OF REQUIEMS
In desperation to turn the ever mounting tide of undeath in their ancestral lands, the College of Requiems adopted methods to combat and even utilize death itself to give themselves an edge against their unliving foes. By harnessing the more reverent and solemn qualities of verse and melody, they weave requiems that reach through the veil to beckon far flung spirits or to afflict, allay, or manipulate the deceased to necessary ends...

SPECTRAL INSTRUMENT
When joining the College of Requiems at 3rd level, you learn the ability to conjure a ghostly instrument which haunting sonancy can permeate the spirits of the dead. The bard can use an action to summon a spectral instrument of their choosing. The instrument is only corporeal to the bard’s touch, can float aloft and play with but only the bard’s whim leaving their hands free, and remains in the same space as the bard. Optionally, the bard can choose to imbue an instrument they own with spectral essence as an action. This instrument or imbuement can be dismissed with a free action.

While this instrument is present and playing the bard may expend an Inspiration Die to grant a confirmed weapon hit an additional (2d6) Radiant or Necrotic Damage (Chosen at the time of the hit). This may be applied only once a round. The damage increases to (3d6) at 5th level, (5d6) at 10th level, and (8d6) at 15th level.

Or…

While this instrument is present and playing the chords of creation imbue the bard's weapons. Once per round the bard may add (1d6) Radiant or Necrotic Damage to a successful strike. As a Bonus Action the bard may expend an Inspiration die and add that roll to their damage. If the target is undead the bard adds an additional Inspiration die to the damage. The second Inspiration die does not count against the bard’s remaining total.

(This is a one or the other, not a choice. Just need to figure out if one choice or the other fits the theme without breaking the class)

Grave Harmonics
At 3rd level your understanding of the undead grow and the secrets of sensing them become known. As an Action your spectral instrument plays a low, dirge-like sound that seems to affect any undead near you. Until the end of your turn, you know the location of any undead within (60’) of you that isn’t behind total cover and that isn’t protected by divination magic. This ability doesn’t tell you anything about the creature’s capabilities or identity.
You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.
In addition, you may expend one Inspiration die to extend the duration of this ability by a number of rounds equaling the rolled result, potentially enabling you to move the sensor with you. You may only extend the duration of this ability once.

WRAITHTOUCHED
At 6th level, you can beckon a spirit that has not found peace to possess you from a corpse recently or long deceased. While the spirit possesses you, you can permit them to reveal their memories and thoughts by using your own faculties, and to other undead you have a chance to be perceived as the deceased rather than the host. Another undead can see through this visage by making a Wisdom (Insight) check opposed by your Charisma (Deception) check, though you gain a +5 bonus to your check. While you are possessed, you can also cast Speak with the Dead as many times equal to your Charisma modifier. The possession lasts for 1 hour, but at the end of the duration the bard can try and extend the possession, but at the risk of the possessed taking control and must succeed a Wisdom saving throw against their DC. The bard may expend an inspiration die to better their chances, but if they fail, they become possessed by the spirit for up to 1 hour and can not choose to extend the possession at the end of it. Once the effect ends, the bard must make a long rest to regain this ability.

SONG OF KEENING
At 14th level, you master a most lamentful song that moves the hearts of the bereaved and befuddles the unliving with detrimental intent. All hostile undead within 60 feet of the bard get disadvantage for all ability checks and saving throws, however the bard must use an action to continue and maintain the song for up to one minute. Silence can nullify this effect, however, the bard can choose to persevere for the full extent of the ability and if the silence ends before the song, the song continues. In turn, any living being, hostile or not, that is cognizant that hears this song and laments a loved one lost gains one bardic inspiration die once per song duration. This ability can be regained after a long rest.

(I apologize for incoherent thoughts and phrases, tried to make it RAW-worth with as few open-ended statements as possible. Any feedback would be awesome!)

Blackbando
2018-01-05, 10:53 PM
Why is the name of the thread College of Repose, yet you state College of Requiem, here? Anyways, getting into the features.

Spectral Instruments
The actual instrument/imbuement effect is nice (though free actions aren't a thing in 5e, it'd be (no action required) instead), but as for the two effects, the guaranteed hit is just better College of Whispers. The other effect is much more balanced, but I'd personally make it once per turn instead of round, so it works on opportunity attacks.

Grave Harmonics
It's good, I like it.

Wraithtouched
Unsure if this fits the theme of undead slaying, but it's balanced and fine. You're possessed for an awfully long time if you fail, though. I'd either shorten the duration or allow repeated saves to end it (maybe 1 per minute?).

Song of Keening
Aside from the lost loved one thing, this is fine. The lost loved one thing, though, encourages the weirdest min-max strategy of where it's beneficial to have an edgy backstory where your parents died, or killed them yourself for some reason. I'd either make it a really small buff (like +1 to checks, saves, and attack rolls for the duration) to keep the flavor, or just remove it entirely.

EDIT: I also realized that deafened undead are still affected by Song of Keening. Maybe add that they have to hear you into there?

Not bad, but needs small fixes. Aside from Wraithtouched, it does give off the vibes of undead slaying very well.

Chevallaine
2018-01-06, 01:51 AM
Why is the name of the thread College of Repose, yet you state College of Requiem, here? Anyways, getting into the features.

Spectral Instruments
The actual instrument/imbuement effect is nice (though free actions aren't a thing in 5e, it'd be (no action required) instead), but as for the two effects, the guaranteed hit is just better College of Whispers. The other effect is much more balanced, but I'd personally make it once per turn instead of round, so it works on opportunity attacks.

Grave Harmonics
It's good, I like it.

Wraithtouched
Unsure if this fits the theme of undead slaying, but it's balanced and fine. You're possessed for an awfully long time if you fail, though. I'd either shorten the duration or allow repeated saves to end it (maybe 1 per minute?).

Song of Keening
Aside from the lost loved one thing, this is fine. The lost loved one thing, though, encourages the weirdest min-max strategy of where it's beneficial to have an edgy backstory where your parents died, or killed them yourself for some reason. I'd either make it a really small buff (like +1 to checks, saves, and attack rolls for the duration) to keep the flavor, or just remove it entirely.

EDIT: I also realized that deafened undead are still affected by Song of Keening. Maybe add that they have to hear you into there?

Not bad, but needs small fixes. Aside from Wraithtouched, it does give off the vibes of undead slaying very well.

Thank you very much for taking the time to look it over! Perhaps Undead Slayer Bard was a bit of a misnomer: the intent of the class is to study, learn, and ultimately put the undead to rest. The class is a theme one of my players pitched to me for a Curse of Strahd adventure, a reason for them to seek this land out.

I'll give it small tweaks here and perhaps do a test run with the specs to see how it performs!

Sariel Vailo
2018-01-06, 02:36 AM
I think it looks fun im dying to test it out.