PDA

View Full Version : A wasp bite?

onasuma
2007-08-23, 12:17 PM
So, sitting at my computer, browsing SMBG i put my arm down on my leg, and i get a quick sharp pain through my arm. I pick it up and see something that looks like a wasp, on my arm. Once shaken off, and apropriet medicine applied, i look at the wound and find it to not infact be a sting, but a bite. And therefore i was wondering: Do wasps bite sometimes? or was it more likely a wasp look alike like a Bee wolf or something?

magicwalker
2007-08-23, 12:24 PM
They _can_ bite. Unless it was attempting to kill you or defend itself... it was probably trying to use you for suitable building materials, fleshy human.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-08-23, 12:29 PM
I believe there might be a few species of wasp that bite rather than sting, but I'm not sure. I do know bumblebees do bite however.

Ceres
2007-08-23, 01:38 PM
Sure it wasn't a horse-fly?

And what is the "appropriate" medicine for wasp-stings?

onasuma
2007-08-23, 01:40 PM
Beer.

But seriously, general pain releif spray. or a tablet if you dont have spray handy.

Ichneumon
2007-08-23, 01:48 PM
Some wasps do not have stings for attacking, they use it for other things, like inserting eggs into tisue/bark. Biting isn't that odd, I think.

PlatinumJester
2007-08-23, 02:12 PM
Wasps are retarded.

Dib
2007-08-23, 02:18 PM
If it's just two small holes side by side it could be a double-sting rather then a ite... not saying the wasp had two stingers but it stung you twice in quick succesion, if the Wasp sting stuff worked then I would say this could be quite likely...

I'm not sure if Waps have the jaw power to actually penetrate skin, a spider of that size can just about do it, but they have jaws specifically evolved for that purpose... wasps dont... so far as I know...

Of course this is all conjecture...

rollfrenzy
2007-08-23, 02:41 PM
Put me in the "probably a sting" camp. What makes you think that it was a bite instead of sting?

onasuma
2007-08-23, 02:54 PM
Well basically, it looks like an ant bite, feels like an ant bite, feels nothing like a wasp sting (Which ive had pleanty of) and no sting left behind (though im not sure if wasps do that, or if its just bees)

Ceska
2007-08-23, 03:00 PM
Generally wasps do not leave a sting behind, that's just bees.

Besides, you know they eat meat a lot and can easily bite pieces out of ham to drag them away. Thus my assumption is you either look like ham, or like other food.

MountainKing
2007-08-23, 03:03 PM
For the most part, wasps tend to use their mandibles for eating/harvesting building materials for their nests. Chances are you were just stung twice in succession; it's happened to me before. My only recommendation is to purchase large supplies of Bic lighters and Raid. The only solution suitable for wasps and wasplike creatures is genocide.

Charity
2007-08-23, 03:07 PM
treatment for bee stings (http://www.firstaidkits.org/bee-stings.asp)

Cubey
2007-08-23, 03:30 PM
I've been bitten by a wasp before. However, it isn't as painful as a sting, so if you felt being stung, it was probably a sting.

EDIT: However, wasp stings don't stay in the wound nor do they leave marks as visible as bees do.

AtomicKitKat
2007-08-24, 12:00 AM
I thought wasps left behind a shell of a stinger. Sort of like when your doctor takes a piece of plastic before putting the thermometer in your ear. Or at least, that was the one that stung me in the head(black with a dull orange stripe around the abdomen). We used lots of vinegar on the area to counter the poison, although it swelled up too quickly to stop.

Ovipositors are funky. More used when you want the kids' meal to still be alive and roaming.

EvilJames
2007-08-24, 01:47 AM
Well basically, it looks like an ant bite, feels like an ant bite, feels nothing like a wasp sting (Which ive had pleanty of) and no sting left behind (though im not sure if wasps do that, or if its just bees)

Ants generally don't bite either (well they do, but if you feel pain from an ant generally it's the ant's stinger that got you) as most species of ants that can hurt us have a stinger of some sort (such as fire ants, red ants, army ants, bullet ants, and bull ants)
you could have just been stung by a wasp species that has never stung you before. Some wasps do have some mighty jaws but I don't know of any that bite rather than sting. I think wasps do leave behind some thing their sting is'nt one time one use like the bee, but i do believe they have limits on how many uses they get. Perhaps it was a hornet instead of a wasp as hornets get unlimited use out of there stinger.

...Now that I think about it where are you from that might help make sense of it for me.

ForzaFiori
2007-08-24, 05:03 AM
are you sure it wasn't a horsefly?

If it was a wasp, I'm with the others in the "It was probably a sting" category.

also, when you get stung (by anything with poison), put wet tobacco on it, and it will reduce pain and swelling. No idea how or why, but it does.

@ James/aren't fire ants and red ants the same thing?

Ashtar
2007-08-24, 05:14 AM
If it was a bite, it would of left just 2 dots on the skin, there is no venom in wasp bites.
If it was a sting, then there wil be venom injected => inflamed reaction.

banjo1985
2007-08-24, 05:18 AM
Sounds like a double wasp sting to me too.

I got a triple one when I was little. They got killed by bug spray and were on the floor, but I didn't notice them and just put my hand on them. God that hurt! I think I might be allergic to wasp stings, as my hand got really swollen and I wasn't well for a few days.

Dib
2007-08-24, 05:29 AM
Ants generally don't bite either (well they do, but if you feel pain from an ant generally it's the ant's stinger that got you) as most species of ants that can hurt us have a stinger of some sort (such as fire ants, red ants, army ants, bullet ants, and bull ants)

Ever sat on a Fire Ant hill by accident? In shorts? It's not pretty... and doesn't feel good...

I'm still saying it was a double-sting... I'm also saying hornets don't have stingers, Wasps don't leave anything behing and Bees stingers are barbed so cannot be pulled out, hence they rip it off... this kills them because the sting is attached to there internal organs, which also come out with the stinger...

at least the hornets where I live don't have stinger... they just look like wasps to scare away predators...

onasuma
2007-08-24, 06:10 AM
well, whatever it was, all marks are completly gone now. And i forgot to metion one more piece of evidence, it drew just a tiny bit of blood, not even enough for me to complain about it, but blood none the less.

Kitya
2007-08-24, 11:01 AM
Wasps bite. Especially Yellow Jackets. I grew up on a farm where they were plentiful. If it didn't get inflamed, then yes, it was a bite.

And from my experience, yellow jacket stingers DO stay in the skin because they're shaped like an arrow... kind of like a porcupine quill. You need to get them out, as well as the toxin... hence the "cheap" method used to pull it out... bread soaked in warm milk. I'm not totally sure WHY this works, but I know it does. You take that mess and plaster the spot with it and it really DOES pull everything out. My cousin stepped on a nest by accident (yellow jackets can build their nests in the ground) and got stung at least a dozen times. Kind of killed our exploring for the day. He was in a LOT of pain, and the milk bread thing made it so he had very little reaction. Benedryl, or some other antihistamine is critical for stings too... it's the histamine in the venom that people have the reaction to.

Personally, I'm allergic to spider bites so I always have some Benedryl kicking around.

Koji
2007-08-24, 11:04 AM
Wasp stingers are not barbed, and do not get stuck in the skin.

It could have been a deerfly. They're about the size and shape of a wasp, and they bite VERY hard.

Skippy
2007-08-24, 11:17 AM
Ovipositors are funky. More used when you want the kids' meal to still be alive and roaming.

Yeah, it's definitely fresher that way...

Syka
2007-08-24, 11:18 AM
Another tip for getting stingers out: credit cards. Take a credit card, scrape it over the sting at an angle, and the stinger should come out. My mom has had to use it on me many times...

...and there is a reason why I have become bug phobic. ;)

Cheers,
Syka

JellyPooga
2007-08-24, 11:52 AM
I quite like wasps, myself. Mostly due to the fact that they get a lot of bad rap, where it's not deserved...I mean, put yourself in their shoes (wings); you're a wasp and flying along looking for some tasty tasty sugar to chow down on and all of a sudden this huge excuse for an ape, that you had previously not been concerned with, starts flapping its appendages at you for no apparant reason, forcing you do take evasive action. You're not going to be a happy wasp, are you? Then, to add insult to injury, another one of them comes along with a huge roll of newspaper and sends you reeling through the air. I mean, wtf did you do to derserve that? If it were me, I'd be proper riled by now and sure, they're about a thousand times my size, but they can't fly and I can. I also happen to have this handy stinger here...what am I going to do? Turn the other cheek? No thanks, I'm a bug and as such, I'm not riddled with moral doubt...I'll just sting the dude who swatted me and just for good measure, I'll sting the dude who flapped at me as well. Happy that justice has now been served, I'll just go on my way in search of jam.

People are so biased against wasps, when really they should be taking a closer look at themselves in wasp-related incidents.

JellyPooga; Speaker for the Rights for Wasps Commitee (RWC) :smalltongue:

EvilJames
2007-08-24, 01:55 PM
@ James/aren't fire ants and red ants the same thing?

Hmm... I think you may be right my mistake

Ever sat on a Fire Ant hill by accident? In shorts? It's not pretty... and doesn't feel good...
fortunatly no, but that discomfort you felt was the venom from their stingers

Also Hornets do indeed sting the hornets around you might not be hornets at all they may just look like them or they may just be reluctant to sting you. Of the hornet family, yellow jackets are the ones most likely to sting you

Kitya
2007-08-25, 11:13 AM
I stand corrected... wasp stingers are not barbed. For some reason I always thought they were. huh... ah well. Alas, I am not perfect any longer. *chuckles*

They still hurt like heck tho. *laffs*

Volug
2007-08-25, 03:56 PM
maybe its a WereBee O.o o.O

Elphir
2007-08-25, 04:10 PM
DUN DUN DUUUUN!

Or a conspiracy made up by the CIA. You'll probably turn into a giant were-bee every month.

Scary.

------

Hmmm.

Well, I've heard about wasps that bite, though I know the French variation of the was (crazy things) bite as well. And that hurts. A lot.

It could be a sting, or it could not.

Mystery remains.

Ichneumon
2007-08-25, 04:12 PM
maybe its a WereBee O.o o.O

Will he start to collect pollen at night?

Seriously though, if it bit you, and you started bleeding, can that cause an infection? Are there diseases?

onasuma
2007-08-26, 03:43 AM
No diseases, Im fine. Also it only drew blood. It didnt keep bleeding, just one tiny amount, then nothing more. I will say this though, its ichy as hell