PDA

View Full Version : WoW Woes

Xerillum
2007-08-23, 04:18 PM
Bah! I am fed up with the WoW downloader. I have been downloading a full day, and it's under 1/4 done! 24 hours!
Any ideas why I have a 58 hour expected download time?

Vaynor
2007-08-23, 04:22 PM
Firewall/slow connection?

Xerillum
2007-08-23, 04:26 PM
Couldn't be that... I disabled the firewall and forwarded the server. And I have a pretty fast connection. My uncle has a 56k and he got it in 9 hours. Right now, the download speed is at 12k/s. I have no idea why this is going on.

Dib
2007-08-23, 04:35 PM
How long has it been since you last played? It could be that all the downloads just piled up... unless you are talking about the actual game rather then a Mod...

Xerillum
2007-08-23, 04:51 PM
I'm downloading the game, actually.

BRC
2007-08-23, 04:54 PM
WoW takes four disks to install, eight if your getting burning crusade too.

Ranis
2007-08-23, 04:55 PM
In that case, expect the download to take about a week at that rate. You're not going to get anywhere in an MMO with 12KBPS, either.

Xerillum
2007-08-23, 05:03 PM
No, actually, I have a high speed dsl connection. That's the speed at which the thing is downloading.

Marek
2007-08-23, 05:30 PM
If it was the patch, i'd suggest downloading it from a third-party downloader, such as Filefront.com. However, it may be easier to just buy the game and install it from the disks, if that's what your trying to do. You'll still have to download the last few patches, but they amount to a bit less than a GB and don't take up a lot of room.

Xerillum
2007-08-23, 05:34 PM
Yeah... I'm probably just going to do that.

Samiam303
2007-08-23, 05:56 PM
Well depending on where you are in the world, there was a big thing in the paper today about someone in Cleveland going underground with a chain saw and hacking off part of the internet backbone, presumably looking for copper to sell. Supposedly it's affecting internet traffic all over the world, because of things having to be rerouted.

Probably unrelated, but it was interesting.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-08-23, 08:57 PM
Parental controls? That's what caused mine to be incredibly slow back when I played.

Those damn parental controls get in the way of everything... :smallannoyed:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2007-08-23, 10:32 PM
Bah! I am fed up with the WoW downloader. I have been downloading a full day, and it's under 1/4 done! 24 hours!
Any ideas why I have a 58 hour expected download time?
Yes. Yes, I do.

You see, you're trying to download a game that's been around a couple of years. It has been tweaked, altered, changed, patched, ungraded, nerfed, and had an expansion added to it. (Yeah, I know...I said the same thing a few times there. :smalltongue: ) You are currently trying to download several years of all this programming fun. So first you have to get the entire game...then a patch or two...or twelve...and then you'll be able to play. Even if you had the discs, you might well find yourself waiting for days while the patches are downloaded and applied.

The trick to speeding the process up - and I hate telling you this - is to do as little as possible with the computer while the game is downloading. Even with a high speed connection, you can slow the download as you surf the net. :smalleek:

Sorry to hand you this bad news, but try to see the bright side: you'll have a fun game to play soon enough. :smallsmile:

Dib
2007-08-24, 05:33 AM
hmm... I got it about 4 months ago... and it only took about 5hrs to install... including Burning Crusade...

Yiel
2007-08-24, 09:02 AM
The WoW download servers are usually pretty slow. This doesn't improve with most of the updates either. :smallsigh:

North
2007-08-24, 02:16 PM
Its a sign.

Get out well you still can!!!!!!

Pyro
2007-08-24, 03:49 PM
Its a sign.

Get out well you still can!!!!!!

Yeah, really. MMORPG's will suck you in and reduce you to almost nothing other than a WoW player. It's like a black hole....

tannish2
2007-08-24, 11:51 PM
Yeah, really. MMORPG's will suck you in and reduce you to almost nothing other than a WoW player. It's like a black hole....

no, black holes are cool and involve theoretical physics. and their are questions and unknowns.
if your doing it to explore cool areas try oblivion (with expansion) it has better graphics and more cool areas

here are some non money-sucking alternatives

if your doing it for gameplay, again, i would reccomend oblivion (unless you have played any of the other elder scrolls games, then you will be dissapointed, or ask for reccomendations of the people on this board) theres also diablo (and its sequel, not as good IMO) guild wars is also fun if you like MMOs

if your playing it for social aspect try neverwinter nights, starcraft, or warcraft 3, or, look in a mirror and insult yourself/ask stupid questions at yourself in 1337speak(though i would seriously reccomend one of those other games i listed, they all have craploads and craploads of great mods and large communities) guild wars is also good for that

if your playing it just to be cool get a mind of your own, and some common sense, playing an MMO is less cool than saying cool in any context other than "it feels a little cool in here, im going to close the window"

but if your dead set on playing it i heard there are pirated servers out there with a seperate client and there are loopholes that make them legal (im not completely sure if i believe that part but its what ive heard) or just restart the download, it might be stuck... of course, if you believe in some sort of divine entity, this may be its way of telling you WoW is BAD!

North
2007-08-25, 11:35 AM
wow was a lot of fun. To start but to get into the game and do good...

Life. Work. Girlfriend. Choose one to give up to play the game... its a timegoblin timedemon

tannish2
2007-08-25, 02:40 PM
well, what i first heard was "it gets better at about level 30" after it did nothing by level 32 with 2 different characters i decided "screw this" and started hearing "oh, the game starts at max level" at that point questions started popping into my head... like... why spend a couple months and 20-40$ to START playing a game that you payed 50$ for in the first place?

Hermit
2007-08-26, 12:42 PM
WoW was enjoyable, but by the end I was sick of the four hour grindfests that were guild raids. Since the expansion added nothing new save another pile of content I'd never see the end of, I gave up :p

And the WoW downloader is nothing more than a badly written bittorrent client. Find an alternative site to download from (I think Fileplanet might even host the full client, and even when you factor in the stupid queues and such it'll still be faster than relying on Blizzard).
You could try hunting round either the WoW forums, see if there's a list of mirror links.

Icewalker
2007-08-26, 02:42 PM
Yeah, mine has done that as well with updates/patches. I'm not sure why, and I never remember how I got it to work. :smallfrown:

zeratul
2007-08-26, 02:45 PM
I'm going to be downloading it soon.

Calamity
2007-08-26, 03:47 PM
I share the same woe. At 35% last time I checked, can't really be bothered with it anymore. Especially with my stupid wireless disconnecting all the time.

heretic
2007-08-26, 04:34 PM
I played it at my friend's house and wasn't too impressed.

Jacklu
2007-08-26, 07:56 PM
Heh, it took three full days to download for me. In the end, it's easier just to go out and buy the disks. You end up having to pay the full price for the game anyways and at least with the disks you won't have to worry about the download time. Of course, I'm not going to renew my subscription anyways. It takes up too much of my time and I need to save up money for college. Go outside, read a book, hang out with some friends and play D&D; just be careful, my younger brother failed several classes because of WOW.