PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Artifact Items for Achieving Godhood

oldgodofasgard
2018-01-12, 09:59 AM
Hey, everyone! I'm new to these forums, but I'm interested in getting some feedback on these items, constructive criticism, or ways to improve them/make them more interesting. Keep in mind a couple things:
A. These items were designed for my homebrewed campaign setting, so some of the lore-based names and things may get a bit confusing; if you have any questions feel free to ask!
B. These are supposed to be literally god-tier items, and I designed them as such. I'm still not sure whether they're too strong, too weak, or just right for this power level (thus the request for feedback), but a creature attuned to all three items should be roughly equivalent to a CR30+, I hope. It's gonna be a hot minute before I get the chance to use these items on my players, and there'll be five of them at roughly 18th level.

Thaenen the Wretched, dragon of Zhar'Tharan and the single most powerful threat to life ever seen on Astherel besides his father, waged war on its peoples for 125 years before his defeat at the catastrophic Battle of the Obsidian Fortress. Before his demise, Thaenen dreamt of ascending to godhood, and nearly did. He created three powerful magic items, which when assembled and attuned to, are said to grant the powers, if not the status, of the Gods themselves. These items are the Jewel of Flame, the Eyes of Evisceration, and the Mantle of Sundered Eternity.

The first of Thaenen's vestments of the Rising God, the Jewel of Flame grants its user unimaginable power, its fiery influence spreading like tendrils through their mind. It manifests itself as a large crimson cabochon affixed in the wearer's head, from which extend cruelly curved horns of flame.
The Jewel of Flame has 15 Immolation points associated with it, which may be spent on any of the following options as an action, unless stated otherwise. At each dawn, the item regains 1d10 + 5 Immolation points. In addition, the Jewel of Flame grants you immunity to Fire and Cold damage.

Flame-Infused Strike (1-15 Immolation Points)
When you make a melee or ranged weapon attack, you may spend an amount of Immolation Points and deal that many d8 Fire damage in addition to your weapon damage. Set bonus: If you are attuned to all three Vestments, these dice increase to d10s.

Hellish Rebuke (1 Immolation Point) (1 Reaction)
You may cast Hellish Rebuke as a 3rd-level spell without expending a spell slot.

Servants of the Great Flame (5 Immolation Points)
You may use the Conjure Elemental spell without expending a spell slot. The elemental summoned must be a Fire Elemental.

Sunder Foes (1 Immolation Point) (Bonus Action)
You may target a creature you can see within 120 feet of you. The target must make a DC25 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, you and any allied creatures gain advantage on attack rolls made against the target. This effect lasts for 24 hours. The target may repeat this saving throw at the end of each of their turns, ending the effect on a success. Set Bonus: If the target had resistance to Fire damage, it loses it.

Sunstrike (8 Immolation Points)
You gather a massive amount of energy and release it in a single, world-shattering beam which strikes down at a point you can see within 1 mile. Every creature in a 60ft-radius sphere must make a DC26 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, they take 16d12 Fire damage as well as 16d6 Force damage in the resulting cataclysmic explosion, or half as much damage on a success. Set bonus: The impact of the sunstrike creates a huge crater in the spell's area of effect. This crater is counted as difficult terrain unless you are attuned to the Jewel, and any creature which starts its turn in the crater must make a DC20 Dexterity saving throw or take 4d6 Fire damage, half as much on a successful save.

Cursed: The wearer of the Jewel of Flame cannot permanently die. If you die, you are affected by the True Resurrection spell in 1d6x100 years. It does not matter if you are willing to be resurrected or not.

Anyone who desires to attune to the Eyes of Evisceration must first remove their own eyes and offer them to Zhar'Tharan in a ritual which takes 8 hours. The Eyes are two eyeball-sized orbs of black stone with writing in Abyssal carved into them, reading "I am the destroyer and the dominator, the devourer and desecrator; Zhar'tharan is my father and His will shall I serve."

When you attune to this item as a good-aligned character, you take 10d10 Psychic damage immediately upon completion of the ritual and you switch to the opposite alignment.
The Eyes of Evisceration grant their wearer Truesight out to 1 mile. In addition, your Passive Perception increases to 26, unless it is already higher, in which case it does not change. You gain double proficiency in Wisdom (Perception) checks and automatically succeed any Wisdom (Insight) checks as you may perfectly discern the emotions and intent of a creature simply by looking at them. You also gain immunity to the Blinded condition.

In addition, the Eyes grant you two effects:
Left Eye - Killing Ray (2/day): You may cast *Power Word Kill* from your left eye without expending a spell slot. Set bonus: You may target a creature which has over 100 hit points with this spell. It must make a DC24 Constitution saving throw or die. The spell still instantly kills any creature under 100 hit points.

Right Eye - Eyebite (Recharge 4-6): You may cast *Eyebite* without expending a spell slot. The saving throw DC for this spell is 24. Set bonus: If you are attuned to all three vestments, you may also cast *Dominate Monster* as an 8th-level spell, with a Wisdom save DC26. In addition, the save DC for Eyebite increases to 26.

This heavy black cloak is said to be a bit of Vaus's own wing, torn from her very back by Thaenen. Whether this is true or not, the Mantle grants its wearer unnatural command over the fabric of Eternity, far beyond the abilities of even the most powerful Vaatasho.

The Mantle grants a +3 bonus to your AC and all your saving throws. In addition, you may warp the fabric of time and change the results of a failed saving throw; you gain 3 Legendary Resistances per day. Set bonus: The number of Legendary Resistances you have per day increases to 5.

Additionally, you can see every point in time at once; you automatically succeed any Intelligence (History) checks. Attack rolls against you are made with disadvantage. The Mantle grants you two additional abilities:
Temporal Stasis (Recharge 5-6): As an action, you may target a creature you can see within 120ft of you. The target must succeed on a DC24 Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, you place the target into a state of suspended animation. For the creature, time ceases to flow and its condition becomes fixed. The creature does not grow older. Its bodily functions virtually cease, and no force or effect can harm it. This state persists permanently until affected by a Dispel Magic spell or a similar effect. Set bonus: If you are attuned to all three Vestments, there is no more saving throw associated with this feature; it always works.

Dimension Door (3/day): You may cast the Dimension Door spell without expending a spell slot. Set bonus: If you are attuned to all three Vestments, you may use this feature 5 times per day instead of 3.

Each individual Vestment comes with 2 or 3 individual set bonuses. In addition to these individual effects, a creature attuned to all three of Thaenen's items gains the following benefits:

Perfection of Body and Mind. Each of your ability scores increase by 2, as do their maximums.
Godlike Endurance. You gain resistance to all damage types, as well as Fire and Cold absorbtion. Your AC and saving throws increase by 1 and your movement speed increases by 20 feet. Your hit point maximum also increases by 5 times your player level, and gains an additional +5 every time you level.
Frightful Presence (1 action). Each creature of your choice that is within 120 feet of you and aware of you must succeed on a DC24 Wisdom saving throw or become Frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to your Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
Limited Magic Immunity. Unless you wish to be affected, you are immune to spells of 6th level or lower. You have advantage on saving throws against all other spells and magical effects.

Thanks in advance!

Fire Tarrasque
2018-01-13, 09:30 AM
There's actually already an item in base D&D that can grant at least Demigodhood. It was created by Ao (A kind of D&D overgod) to grant his servants the multidimensional nature that he needed.
I don't remember exactly right now but yeah, something of this ilk exists.
That doesn't stop this from existing at all, but if your using it just as a kind of deus ex machina or mcguffin, there already is one.