PDA

View Full Version : Singing a little life back into the truenamer. [PrC]

Kellus
2007-08-24, 03:54 AM
The Truesinger
Hit Die: d6

Many an adventurer has claimed to be a master of music, but few of these so-called “bards” realize what it is that they manipulate when they play their magical songs. In reality, these performers tap unknowingly into the most ancient and powerful source of power in the cosmos: the original language, the language of truespeach. By channeling a fraction of the power of truespeach into their music, bards achieve powerful results. Some, however, master the art of music and also delve into the secrets of truenaming. These self-styled truesingers combine the lyrical medium of music with the words of power and syllables of devastation that make up the one true language.

Requirements
Utterances: Able to deliver 2nd level Utterances
Spellcasting: Able to cast 1st level arcane spells without preparation
Special: Bardic music
Skills: Truespeak 6 ranks, Perform (sing) 5 ranks

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Skills: The truesinger’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken indivually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Speak Language (n/a), Spellcraft (Int), Truespeak (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Table: The Truesinger
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Utterances Known

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Bardic music, fluid tongue|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Irresistable incantation +1|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Truesing 2/day|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Bonus recitation feat|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Lingering lyrics|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|Irresistable incantation +2|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5||+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+6|Shared recitation|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+6|Truesing 4/day|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+7|Irresistable incantation +3|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+7|
+7|Garbling melody|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

12th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Bonus recitation feat|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+8|
+8|Deafening speech|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+9|
+9|Irresistable incantation +4|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+9|
+9|Truesing 6/day, the law of chords, bonus utterance|+1 Level of Existing Truenaming Class

[/table]

All of the following are class features of the truesinger.

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: The truesinger does not gain any additional weapon or armour proficiencies.

Utterances Known: When a new truesinger is gained, the character gains new utterances known as if he had also gained a level in a truenaming class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of truenaming. If a character had more than one truenaming class before becoming a truesinger, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining utterances known.

Bardic Music: A truesinger continues to practice his magical melodies. His truesinger levels stack with his bard levels to determine how many times per day he may use his bardic music abilities. These levels also stack to determine save DCs of his bardic music where applicable. He does not gain new bardic music abilities that he would gain from the bard base class.

Fluid Tongue (Su): Truesingers combine the fluidity of music with the powerful language of truespeak. While using his bardic music, a truesinger may still use utterances as normal. This does not allow him to use utterances if the bardic music ability requires concentration.

Irresistable Incantation (Su): By combining melody with language, the truesinger can create an irresistable incantation that draws in even the most stalwart foes. This bardic music ability makes his truenaming easier.

The save DC to resist his utterances increases by 1 and the Truespeak check to affect a target decreases by 1 for as long as he continues to sing. To use this ability, the truesinger must have at least 10 ranks in Perform (sing). Otherwise, this ability follows all of the rules that a normal bardic music ability does.

As the truesinger advances, this ability improves. Every 4 levels after 2nd, the save DCs for his utterances increases by 1 again and the Truespeak check required decreases by 1 again.

Truesing (Su): At 3rd level, the truesinger learns the bread and butter of his trade, combining music and melody with his implacable lexicon. Twice per day, he may apply his Charisma modifier to a Truespeak check. Alternatively, he may make a Perform (sing) check in place of a Truespeak check, and add his Intelligence modifier to the roll. He may use this ability 4 times per day at 9th level, and 6 times per day at 15th level.

Bonus Recitation Feat: At 4th level, and again at 12th level, the truesinger may select any recitation feat for which he qualifies.

Lingering Lyrics (Su): At 5th level, the truesinger can leave his magical lyrics enduring in the air. This bardic music ability lengthens his utterances.

The duration for any ongoing utterance with an original duration of 5 rounds changes to a duration of concentration. So long as the truesinger maintains concentration, his syllables of power endure as well. To use this ability, the truesinger must have as least 13 ranks in Perform (sing). Otherwise, this ability follows all of the rules that a normal bardic music ability does.

Shared Recitation (Su): At 8th level, the truesinger can use his musical prowess to share his personal recitations with his allies. By expending a use of bardic music as a swift action, he may grant all willing allies within 60 feet who can hear him the benefit of a recitation that he uses in the same round.

Garbling Melody (Su): At 11th level, the truesinger can leave his foes in utter confusion as they try to use language against him. While maintaining any bardic music effect, he may use an immediate action and a use of bardic music to cause an utterance used within 60 feet of him to be reversed, if applicable, without changing the target.

Deafening Speech (Su): At 13th level, the truesinger can combine his utterances with devastating sonic power. By expending a use of bardic music as a swift action as he delivers an utterance, the truesinger may deal 10d6 sonic damage to the target. The target receives no save to avoid the damage, but the Truespeak DC to deliver the utterance rises by 2.

Bonus Utterance: At 15th level, the truesinger receives an additional utterance known of 4th level from the Lexicon of the Perfected Map.

The Law of Chords (Su): At 15th level, the truesinger has finally discovered the final law of truenaming, which describes the true interaction of music and truespeach. This intricate knowledge allows him to reverse even the Law of Resistance, considered by many to be the single most fundamental rule of truenaming. By expending two uses of his bardic music as a full-round action, the truesinger may reduce the Truespeak DC to use all of his utterances by 2, to a minimum of their normal DC.

oloknotwise
2007-08-24, 10:56 AM
Pretty good combining the Bard with the Truenamer.

However, as much as you probably wanted a 15-level PrC, I am not sure making it that long is truly necessary. Everything can be done in ten levels, and maybe make the class accessible a little later (seventh level). If you want the class that long and available that easily, then maybe take out a few levels of utterance level increases.

I do like, however, the fact that you have made truenaming slightly easier. I can't stand the Truenamer for that reason, and making the check DC slightly lower really makes the class/PrC very tempting.

Other people on this board are better at tis than I am, so listen to what they say before taking my recommendations.

Otherwise, that is a great PrC. Maybe you should try it out in an upcoming campaign...:smallwink:

Kellus
2007-08-24, 12:50 PM
I don't want this class to fall into the same trap that most combination prestige classes do, namely that there is nowhere to go after the class is done. By entering this class at 6th level, the adventurer can continue to increase his bardic music and truenaming in tandem for the rest of his career.

oloknotwise
2007-08-25, 12:44 AM
I though the class over a bit more today, and I guess I see where you are coming from: you want a PrC that would take a PC right to level 20. That is great and all, but there is something lacking...

One thing that I suggest is to encourage more bard levels than what you already have them do. That would provide more justification for a Truenamer to become a truenaming bard, providing more dedication to the art of the bard. Right now it seems that the PrC takes little to enter it, and having more levels of Bard would make the class seem more dedicated to combining the bard and the Truenamer (now I am just repeating myself).

Possibly, make it so the PC needs to be able to Inspire Competence by Bardic music. Not only does it give a little more choice when performing in battle, but it shows that the PC is serious considering the bard.

Take the Arcane Trickster for example. In order to qualify, the PC has to basically dedicate three levels to Rogue. Therefore, the PC becomes a person that is dedicated to combining arcane power with the sneakiness of the Rogue. Just don't pull a stunt to make the PrC look like the Mystic Theurge.

Kellus
2007-08-25, 02:59 AM
The main point of the class is to progress utterances and make them usable. It does this by using bardic music to make Truespeak DCs reasonable and provide other helpful truename effects.

As it stands, the class loses two truenaming levels already, as it's pretty much required to be a truenamer 3/bard 2 to enter. Conceivably, you could have a truenamer 3/bard 1/arcane caster 1, but I'm hard pressed to see why anyone would want to do something like that. The prerequisites aren't laborious, but they are precise in that they allow pretty much only one build to enter it.

I agree that the class favours truenaming over bardic abilities, but that's really how I planned it. Bardic abilities here supplement the existing truename abilities to make truenaming conceivably playable. I'm not giving bard powers to a truenamer or utterances to a bard, I'm combining utterances and music into a new form. If that makes any sense.

oloknotwise
2007-08-26, 12:22 AM
Okay, I see your point.

Oh, and BTW, bump so other people see this.