PDA

View Full Version : The messengers

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Quxelopqr
2008-03-16, 01:24 AM
Kaz

With a smile, Kaz puts a hand on Dagg's shoulder. "If you ever find 'em, let me know. You can't go giant hunting by yourself, now can you?"

Dethcom1
2008-03-17, 12:47 AM
Dagg

Dagg laughs wryly and agrees, his dark mood lifted. "And I'm sure we'll take a fair few of the dogs each!" He looks back out of the camp, towards his ancestral home, lost in his thoughts.

amanodel
2008-03-17, 07:09 AM
Thanks to the good place Ozz found you to spend the night, you can sleep well, nohing and noone disturbs your rest.

The morning greets you with a light rain, So you're up on your feet quite early.

(everyone heals the normal amount +1 HP)

GimliFett
2008-03-17, 09:10 AM
Ozzgar the WolfHP: 16/16; AC: 17, touch 14, flat 14

The goblin seems to be in a fowler mood than normal this morning, constantly grumbling about the weather and rocks and fogs and bogs. "Joos' lak 'ome," he can be heard to mutter more than a few times.

Once camp is broken, he takes the lead as usual.

Dethcom1
2008-03-17, 09:14 AM
Dagg

Dagg wakes up with a huge yawn, stretching and scratching as he rises out of his bedroll. "Great nap. Wish we could have more like them." He pays little mind to the weather, and brings some trail rations out of his pack to eat once everyone is underway.

bchilders
2008-03-17, 06:47 PM
Karos

Karos finishes up his meditations just a few minutes before the others start to rise for the morning. "Ozz you did splendidly finding this place, I haven't had a sleep this good since...well I can't even remember," Karos says to his companion hoping to cheer up his surly mood.

obliged_salmon
2008-03-17, 07:03 PM
Dafydd

"Yes, indeed. Nothing to cure a stiff back like a good rest, I say." Dafydd still retains a slight limp, but it is barely noticeable now. He swallows down one of his potions along with his packed rations, hoping no one will notice.

"Come, my compatriots, the forest proper is near. Lead on, my good friend!" He begins to sing an obscure elven marching song, but fades to a light humming when he realizes that no one else knows the words, and in fact, he only really knows the first half of the first verse anyway.

uses a potion of clw [roll0]

also, for fun, an untrained perform check to see if his singing was any good:
[roll1]

Quxelopqr
2008-03-17, 08:49 PM
Kaz

Kaz gets up with a yawn. "Alright, let's try to make it to that valley today. I think there's a village there."

amanodel
2008-03-20, 04:36 PM
The village was not too far, and even the muddy terrain couldn't slow you down drastically, altough Dagg and Daffyd fell over on some slippery, muddy road once or twice.

But nothing extraordinary happened, and you reached the village around 10 o'clock. A few pointy wooden planks at the sides of the settlement serve as the village's defenses. Most of the houses are either tents or houses halfway dug unto the ground. A large, wooden obelisk stands in the centre of the small village. The locals have noticed you already, and they seem to be quite agitated about strangers arriving to their lands. The people are a mixed folk, mostly hlafelves, humans, and kobolds. They wear dirty, old-fashioned robes, with some scavanged clothes from the humans or dwarves. You can't help but think that the anciant people of Nabarria looked just the same before the expansion of the human kingdoms.

You are still one minute away from the village, and while many villagers are observing you, none goes forward to meet you.

obliged_salmon
2008-03-20, 05:45 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd notices the cautious village dwellers and decides to speak up on the party's behalf. "Hail, friends of Nabarria. Of whom may we request the honor of entering your pleasant village?"

diplomacy check, if relevant
[roll0]

edit: now there's a diplomacy check you wish you'd made at a more plot-critical juncture than this one, probably.

bchilders
2008-03-20, 09:44 PM
Karos

After Daffyd yells out a greeting, Karos very carefully stows away his weapons and looks as non-threatening as possible. He waits to see how the villagers will react to their presence.

GimliFett
2008-03-20, 09:56 PM
Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin allows Dafydd to do the talking, but he glares back at anyone doing the same to him, especially other kobolds. He carries his bow in hand, but has no arrow nocked.

Quxelopqr
2008-03-20, 10:24 PM
Kaz

Kaz starts to put his weapons away but then he realizes how the people are looking to the group. Maybe I'll keep the bow out. He still puts on a smile to at least try and look friendly.

Dethcom1
2008-03-21, 01:14 AM
Dagg

Dagg keeps his hands casually at his sides, quite unconsciously near his weapons. His expression is one of benign ignorance, and he beams trustingly towards the townsfolk. After a while, he realizes that his face is encrusted with dirt, and quickly wipes it away.

amanodel
2008-03-21, 05:27 AM
Daffyd's courtly manner shocked the locals so much that they failed to answer, just let you enter the village, and a chieftain-looking halfelf even brought you some refreshing drink. Surely he thought that Daffyd's an elf lord, and the rest of you being his servants, for he gave daffyd a silver cup, and the others received only wooden cups.

Fharlangh brought you safely to Eggley! What may we be at your service, mylord? - he greets you with the blessing of the protector of travellers, they are clearly not worshipping the same gods as the humans is the kingdoms. He tries to use elf words in his talk to please the paladin.

Dethcom1
2008-03-21, 10:35 AM
Dagg

Dagg grins again as the villagers' misunderstanding becomes clear. "Seems they've taken quite a shine to you... m'lord." He laughs quietly in good humor, though he tries to ensure that no villager sees his amusement.

Quxelopqr
2008-03-22, 10:30 AM
Kaz

Making sure not to laugh aloud at Dagg's comment, Kaz just keeps a smile on his face and lets Dafydd do the talking, although he puts his bow away now.

bchilders
2008-03-22, 11:03 AM
Karos

Karos gives a slight nod of his head when he was given his cup to drink and after realizing the misconception of the half-elf moves back to stand slightly behind his companion. He figures the role of servant will keep him out of the conversation and able to observe the people of this town.

Over the course of the conversation

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]
Sense Motive:[roll2]

obliged_salmon
2008-03-22, 11:03 AM
Dafydd

Dafydd feels somewhat embarrassed by the villagers' fawning over him, but tries to keep it to himself. He doesn't want to offend anyone by seeming ungrateful. In a more subdued manner, he asks the chief of the village for some food for his companions and any news in the area.

amanodel
2008-03-23, 03:35 PM
Upon Daffyd's ask, they bring you fresh meal, the best quality meat and fruit the village can afford.

Travelling elf lords have great reputaion, and hosts try to please them the best they can, for noone would dare to face the elf's anger. It's an old tradion, which even exists in human lands when the tension between the elves and humans are not as high as currently.

The village elder quickly describes the situation, how the harvest was, and for how much use the last bypassing elf lord's gift was to the village. He speaks about a strange evil cult that poisons the area for a while, and from his tale, you reckognize he was talking about the Dretch and his servants.

bchilders
2008-03-23, 06:20 PM
Karos

Upon hearing the part about the evil cult, Karos opens his mouth the tell them that it has all been taken care of, but changes his mind and decides to play the part of noble's silent entourage.

Quxelopqr
2008-03-23, 07:13 PM
Kaz

Playing up his servent role, Kaz says "My lord, I do believe you slew that vile creature yesterday. How fortunate that we passed by."

obliged_salmon
2008-03-23, 09:00 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd casts a questioning glance at Kaz, still somewhat unsure why he is being addressed as "m'lord" by everyone. Being an honest and straightforward knight, he fails to realize the implications of his treatment in the village.

"Yes, we slew a demon not far easterly of here, along with some fiendish creatures which resembled kobolds. Hopefully you'll be free of their menace from now on."

While eating, he continually compliments the chief on what a fine meal he is having, and demanding assurances that his regards be passed to whoever prepared it.

amanodel
2008-03-27, 05:05 AM
The news that the elf banished the demonic cult caused much rejoice in all over the village. The half-elf chieftain wouldn't stop thanking you for lifting the menace from the countryside.

The village has few resuorces, but they offer what they have. You each receive trail rations for two days, and the chieftain ordered some of the prettiest young girls of the village to "accompany" the elf lord or one of his warrior servants, if you'd like to.

Dethcom1
2008-03-27, 11:44 AM
Dagg

Dagg enjoys the celebrations as much as he can, showing off his weapons and taking advantage of any food or drink presented to him. In the unlikely event that he is offered one of the girls, he politely declines, saying, "I'm not really into that whole cross-species thing."

bchilders
2008-03-27, 03:45 PM
Karos

Karos, although not personally opposed to casual relations, declines the chiefs offer thinking that such dalliances take the edge off of his divine abilities. He does take the time to admire the prettiest girls this village has to offer though.

GimliFett
2008-03-27, 03:57 PM
Ozzgar the Wolf

As none of the others partake, Ozz looks for a comely and willing goblin lass. Barring that he refuses the offer as well. "We are oon a mishun, after all," he says with a disappointed sigh.

Quxelopqr
2008-03-27, 04:31 PM
Kaz

Kaz eats graciously of the food and packs the rations away. He also declines the offer of women with some disappointment. Maybe on the way back, after this is settled. Can't risk them getting hurt. Kaz then says to the chief "Our lord has led us on a small journey around the outskirts of the forest, and we happened to find a large army a few days travel from here. Has anything recently happened on the road here?"

obliged_salmon
2008-03-27, 05:44 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd sharply declines the offer of "company." The notion of girls being ordered to bed with strangers offends him, though he tries to keep from letting his disdain show, after the pleasant treatment his group has been shown.

A short time later, he stands up and succinctly states "We must be going, I'm afraid." He throws two gold pieces on the table and gathers his gear together.

amanodel
2008-04-01, 08:52 AM
Eventually you managed to get yourself out of the grasp of the hospitality of your host without insulting any of the girls.

To answer Kaz's question, they explain that they've heard about an army on the other side of the forest, and they already sent runners to a neighbouring village to discuss the matters. It seems little they know about the Burubu legion's size, which is at least five times greater than the whole village.

Yet the elderly half-elf seemed confident enough abou the tiny village's defenses, and assured you that if the legion gets there, the local militia will be able to stop them. And he wouldn't let you to convience him otherwise.

Eventually you managed to leave the village, refreshed and restocked, and the locals even provided you with some informations about the route to the elf territory.

GimliFett
2008-04-01, 09:21 AM
Ozzgar the Wolf

Ozz takes point, eager to make good distance this day with the information provided by the villagers.

"Fools, the lot o' 'em. Tha leader at least," the goblin says as he spits off the side of the path. "They're gonna hold off a' army? Pfbbt."

bchilders
2008-04-01, 10:47 AM
Karos

Karos was happy to be on the road again. Even though the villages hospitality was well appreciated, he still has his mind the mission ahead.

At hearing Kazz's comment Karos replies, "Some people can never admit there is something bigger outside of their small world. It's easier to ignore it than admit you are out of control."

Dethcom1
2008-04-01, 01:22 PM
Dagg

Again, Dagg tries to hide his amusement from the villagers at their belief of their impregnability. When conversation starts again, he bursts out laughing. "Excitable people, aren't they? At least they might hold off the armies until the elves can bail 'em out."

A few minutes of rummaging in his supplies leads to his worried frown. "Who's got the map? How far is it to the elves? I've only got five days' supply of food in here."

amanodel
2008-04-01, 01:40 PM
Depending on the rough skech of a map you have, and the chieftain's instuctions, you should be able to reach the heart of elf land within that time easily. You guess it should be about two or three days, depending on the conditions.

obliged_salmon
2008-04-01, 10:10 PM
Dafydd

As they hike, Dafydd grumpily comments, "I can't say I much like the way they fawn over common travelers. I like good hospitality as much as the next fellow, but look you, it does no good to go about waving damsels and praise around like a jolly brothel owner. They might just bring down that Burubu legion by complimenting them to death - 'Lord' this and 'lord' that."

Dafydd continues mumbling to himself for a few minutes before calming down and brightening up to his usual self again.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-02, 11:16 AM
kaz

Hearing Dafydd's comments, Kaz adds "Don't worry too much about it; I believe they thought you were a 'lord' or something, so they treated us well because they wanted to please you. I guess it's an elf thing." Pausing for a moment, he adds "And if they can beat the Burubu's like that I see no reason for them not to."

bchilders
2008-04-02, 09:05 PM
Karos

"And here I thought it was just because our friend Daffyd is just so good-looking and charming. But being mistaken for an elf lord might have helped a little," Karos says grinning as he thinks to himself I could have found much worse for travelling companions

Dethcom1
2008-04-03, 04:46 PM
Dagg

Snickering again a the mention of Dafydd being an elf, Dagg turns to Kaz to reply. "The problem isn't that they thought they could eliminate the Buruburus or whatever they're called, it's that they act so calm about it. Like they had no chance of being defeated. But, like I said, maybe the elves'll bail 'em out. Isn't that right, Lord Dafydd?" He is even more amused at Dafydd's apparent discomfort. "Personally speaking, those gals seemed a nice enough sort. No need to brush them off so coldly. We could have had them along for company, so to speak."

obliged_salmon
2008-04-03, 06:07 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd turns to Kaz and Karos, confused. "Elf lord? That's ridiculous, I'm no noble. I haven't even got a lesser title." Then, all of a sudden, he realizes it. His eyes go wide with anxiety. "But they probably don't even know how to read arms in that village! I just accidentally impersonated nobility?! I could get into big trouble for that! We all could! We should go back and tell them it was a mistake!" Dafydd's face flushes with embarrassment.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-03, 06:58 PM
Kaz

"Relax Dafydd, we'll go back on our way back. There's no harm done, we just got a little better service then we normally would have. I'm sure it's fine, and they have the Burubu's to worry about. I don't want to get caught up in that yet." Kaz tries to give a reassuring look, but the possibility of having to fight that army does frighten him a little.

bchilders
2008-04-04, 10:51 PM
Karos

Karos laughs aloud at Daffyd's sudden enlightenment, but sobers up long enough to say, "It was their mistake not yours, and I think we need to continue ahead and not waste any more time. Maybe next time your taken for a noble we'll let you in on it before we are half a day away." Karos chuckles again as he imagines his friend going back to explain the misunderstanding.

amanodel
2008-04-05, 05:32 AM
During the day, you couldn't make a very good progress, for a heavy rain fallen down in the early afternoon,making the paths all muddy. Without proper roads, no wonder that this area is isolated, and is hunderds of years behin dthe rest of Nabarria.

Just before nightfall, however, you reach a small hill, or a large mound, as you prefer to call it. Atop this hill stands a stone bulding, similar to the one you have slept at, but this is in a far better condition. The large cairn stones are placed in an order similar to the Stonehenge, and the large stones have some ancient runes carved into them, shining with a very faint, blue-ish light.

Dethcom1
2008-04-05, 06:17 AM
Dagg

Dagg moves closer to the cairn, attracted by the light. he whispers to himself, "Magic?" and pokes the glowing runes.

obliged_salmon
2008-04-05, 09:12 AM
Dafydd

Dafydd places a restraining hand on Dagg's shoulder, saying "best not to fiddle with such things, friend. Karos, what is your counsel on these markings?"

bchilders
2008-04-05, 03:02 PM
Karos

"Caution for now," Karos says as he takes a closer look. "I'll see if I can decipher any meaning from them"

Knowledge Religion:[roll0]
Decipher Script:[roll1]

amanodel
2008-04-06, 03:39 AM
Karos recalls that these stone artifact were built by druids of ancient times, and served as a sort of divination device, and many of them were built, altough a very few may function these days, this one is probably a real rarity. It's common name was Farlooker, because this use didn't need any practice, and could be used by commoners, altough many few options are avaible for those trained as a druid.

bchilders
2008-04-06, 11:41 AM
Karos

Karos relates what he can remember from his lessons at the church to the rest of the party. "Never quite believed that these things were real when the Prior was teaching about them, but I guess that will teach me to be skeptical of my superiors." Karos trails off at the end as he muses about some of the other lessons he didn't quite believe during his novice years.

Dethcom1
2008-04-06, 11:56 AM
Dagg

Dagg scratches his beard in thought. "So... we can use this thing to look at other people doing stuff?" He looks slightly disgusted at the thought. Those druids were dirty little buggers.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-06, 08:13 PM
Kaz

Kaz puts down his pack and begins setting up his bedroll. "Not only that Dagg, but some of them can ask the Gods themselves for advice." The best method of spying imaginable, right dad? "This looks like a nice place to stay tonight, but first I'm going to look for any graveyards nearby." Kaz goes off for a moment too see if any ghast-like hiding places are nearby.

Dethcom1
2008-04-07, 02:18 AM
Dagg

"Good idea. I'll go try to rouse up any demons as well." Dagg does so, although his search method mainly involves walking around the camp in a circle shouting, "Yoohoo! Demons! Got some nice little treats for you! Come out, come out wherever you are!" A few moments later, assuming nothing materializes near him, he returns to the center of the camp and states, "Must've scared 'em all off."

amanodel
2008-04-07, 03:45 PM
Neither Kaz or Dagg finds nothing lurking around the ancient stones. Even animals seem to avoid the place, save for one kind of tiny lizard, who seem to prefer the magical runes,a nd they are running up and down on the huge stones.

bchilders
2008-04-07, 09:14 PM
Karos

Karos inspects the stones for while, more to soak it all in than to glean any fruther information, and his catches one of the small lizards to see if there is any reason why they are the only creature around the ruins. He chuckles to himself a bit when he sees Daggs method of clearing the camp site and starts to unpack his stuff and settle down.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-09, 11:00 PM
Kaz

The lizards don't bother him very much, so Kaz finishes laying out his stuff. "While it's still a little light out, I'll take the first watch." And I'll wake everyone up first this time.

GimliFett
2008-04-10, 08:40 AM
Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin nods to Kaz. "T'anks! Ah'll take deep-watch, if tha' sits well wit' ever'oon." He lays out his bedroll and sits next to waiting for confirmation from the others.

Sorry, guys! It's been a rough week plus.

obliged_salmon
2008-04-10, 09:45 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd sets his gear on the ground and takes a comfortable position on the ground. "Is it time for stories then? I suppose it's my turn."

Dafydd lets his gaze wander out beyond the forest around him, settling on a distant point in time, rather than a location. "When I was a lad, my family lived in Sacred Tree, which should be southwesterly, though don't count on it. Our sun elven cousins kindly took us in as refugees, along with a few other families, as our lands were overrun with the invaders.

Now I had a downright painful crush on a sun elf girl who lived down the road a ways, though she would have nothing to do with me. I tried all manner of inspired methods to attract her attention. Presents, intelligent discourse, teasing, ridiculous poetry...finally I found a chord to strike, though it nearly killed me. One day I told the poor maid that, for her love, I would wrestle behemoths to the ground, swim to the bottom of the sea, outpace the fastest hawk - well, she acquired a curious and frightening gleam in her eye then. 'You have not speed,' she challenged, 'do not boast fleetness of foot where none is found.' She challenged me to a footrace on the spot, with rather high stakes. I would gain her promise as wife if I won, or else spend the entire summer performing acts of heavy labor in her father's orchard - after my own chores at home were done - if I lost.

Unfortunately, our race led us through section of the forest I was...less familiar with. You all know how I am about such things. We were even keel...actually I was a little behind...when she seemed to vanish before my very eyes! Later I discovered that the path had bent, though at the time it seemed to continue on straight. Perhaps it was sorcery, or even providence that led me off the path at that turn. By the time I realized I was lost, it was too late to turn back. My poor heart, completely crushed at that moment! I had neither gear nor supplies, and no sense of the woods. I sat against a tree and fought back tears and curses, as the night wore on.

For three days I trekked about, hopelessly lost. By providence, nature granted me my every need. Thick willows for shelter, streams for thirst, berries for nourishment. Finally, I came upon a ancient structure of my own people, the wild elves. The elders say it was built as a message and trading post between our peoples in days long ago, when we had an active allegiance. Anyway, the girl - Melenethi - had been praying at that site for almost a day, hoping that some lingering magic would allow a connection between my spirit and that outpost. She was so happy to see me that she completely forgot about her revulsion at my very presence!

After we arrived at the village, she told me she still wouldn't marry me unless I was the last elf alive, but that I also needn't owe her father my summer eves. I wasn't about the renege on the bet, though, and did the work anyway. After briefly contemplating the genocide of all male elves, and immediately discarding the notion, I returned home and received a heavy-handed scolding from my mother. That was when the priests of Sacred Tree started taking an interest in me though, suspecting miracles at work and all that. I was to be a 'chosen' of Corellan Larethian. Quite an honor. But more on that another time. I'll be up and about long before morning for the last watch, friends." Dafydd somehow manages to simultaneously yawn and begin snoring, as he slips into a meditative trance.

amanodel
2008-04-11, 02:40 PM
With only the tiny blueish lizards around, the night passes rahter uneventfully. The lizards seem quite ordinary to Karos, they are just attracted to the magical stones for some reason, and the rest of the forest's fauna seem to avoid it.

Next day you get up pretty early, and refreshed, ready to continue.

GimliFett
2008-04-11, 02:45 PM
Ozzgar the Wolf

It seemed to take forever for Ozz to get to sleep. After Dafydd's tale of love lost and purpose found, the goblin seemed to sink a bit deeper into his melancholy mood. What sleep he got was fitful to those that had watch while he slept.

As soon as the others were ready to depart, Ozz set a fierce pace, trying to cover ground as quickly as possible, only slowing down if the others wished it.

He tried to keep any conversation to a minimum: nodding, shaking his head and grunting whenever it became necessary to respond to something.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-11, 05:04 PM
Kaz

Staying up after Dafydd's story wasn't too hard on him, he listened to the sounds of the wildlife and watched the lizards crawl about. Mentally noting where this place was, Kaz went to sleep when his watch was finished.

The next morning, Kaz woke up easily and tried to follow Ozz's tough pace. He kept up well, and made no complaint. We'll get there faster this way, although I wonder what's eating Ozz?

bchilders
2008-04-11, 06:59 PM
Karos

After a goods nights sleep, Karos looks forward to another day of travelling, but finds the mood to be somber and brisk. He travels in silence enjoying at least the thought of getting closer to the goal.

Dethcom1
2008-04-11, 07:35 PM
Dagg

Dagg stays up a while listening to Dafydd's story (snickering when Dafydd spoke of doing his work without needing to). He wakes up rather sleepy, and still sore from his wounds. As the group walks, he lags behind in the rear, occasionally scratching an itchy scab.

"Why's everyone so depressed? We're almost at the end of our journey, and that much closer to some real gold."

amanodel
2008-04-23, 05:06 PM
You leave the borderlands behind, and venture deeper into the forest. The elven forest looks like a haunted one to most of the humans, the dense trees barely let in any sunshine, and a thick fog is forming at your feet. You can hear many forest animals howling, roaring and birds singing aloud toghther with crows and owls.

By midday, you reach a large clearing around a hill. The land is charred, and it looks like if life wouldn't like to return ever to the place. Those with some schooling will reckognize the place as Thistlemound, where the biggest battle between elves and humans took place centuries ago. Those without teaching will have to look to the ground, where rusty spears, swords, and armor pieces grow from the ground. Atop the mound there is a shrine raised for the memories of the countless soldiers who died in this battlefield.

The battle was won by the elves, but they got weakened, so they lost the war shortly after this victory.

Dethcom1
2008-04-23, 05:44 PM
Dagg

Dagg looks around, clearly impressed by the remains of the carnage in the area. "Nice place. Looks like it's seen some interesting times. Anyone favoring a midday snack right about now?" Whatever the group decides to do, Dagg will take out some rations and consume them, seeming to favor every bite for as long as possible.

bchilders
2008-04-23, 09:17 PM
Karos

As they pass through the battlefield, Karos begins to pray for the souls of those who lost their lives here. Partly to give the souls rest, but also partly because he had heard too many stories of wandering malignant spirits to not be a little weary.

GimliFett
2008-04-24, 09:38 AM
Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin shrugs at Dagg's question, but doesn't reply. If the group chooses to pause for a meal, Ozz will eat as he searches the area for anything of use, otherwise he will search as he leads the party forward, also keeping an eye out for any unusual tracks.

Search: [roll0]
Survival: [roll1]

Quxelopqr
2008-04-24, 11:08 AM
Kaz

Kaz takes in the sight of the old battleground. He'd heard stories, but never seen it before. If the group stops he eats, otherwise he snacks on a ration and wonders how close they are to their destination.

obliged_salmon
2008-04-24, 01:51 PM
Dafydd

"We should probably continue on. I don't care to disturb the presence of fallen warriors any more than I absolutely have to." Dafydd takes out some rations and chews on them thoughtfully.

amanodel
2008-05-02, 04:50 AM
Not pausing at the scorched land, you continnue towards the heart of elfland. The terrrain gets rougher with every step, since the elves usually refrain from building roads in the forest, so sometimes you have to search for deers' paths to continue. The forest is very dense, without too much sunlight, and chill runs over your spine several times , for the forest gets a little more like a haunted forest with every step.

It starts getting dark quickly, and the sounds of the winds playing with the leaves on the trees sound ghostly, along with the unnerving voices of the owls.

Quxelopqr
2008-05-03, 11:21 AM
Kaz

"It's getting pretty dark. Should we try to find somewhere to rest or shall we keep going."

bchilders
2008-05-03, 12:51 PM
Karos

"I wish we knew how much farther we need to travel, but without knowing I guess we better find somewhere to rest," Karos replies.

He turns toward his elven companion and says, "You know of no way to signal the elves of our approach, do you?"

obliged_salmon
2008-05-03, 08:41 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd scratches the back of his neck sheepishly. "Well, I'm not quite sure on that count, actually. I never got picked for scouting duty, so I never learned all the protocols and whatnot. I suppose we'll just run into someone, and I'll explain what's what, can't be too difficult...." Dafydd gives Karos an optimistic grin. "This night air is downright dreary though, to be sure."

amanodel
2008-05-05, 08:40 AM
As you search for a place to stay at night, you spot something shiny in the forest. As you get closer, you realise that the thing is a sword, planted into a gigantic, ancient tree. The tree is a rare elf oak, which is famous, because it never dies of old age. But the sword was not put into the tree without a purpose.

The sword pins a humanoid skeleton to the tree, between the ribs. Much of te skeleton had decayed, but pieces of armor hold together the upper body of the skeleton.

The longsword is one of fine craftmanship, and it's blade radiates weak blueish light.

GimliFett
2008-05-05, 09:07 AM
Ozzgar the Wolf

Circling the tree, Ozz looks for any other signs of who and what the skeleton may have been when alive. "Well. There's soomthin' ya don' see ev'ry day," he mutters when he finishes his circuit. "Tha' thing's too big fer me," the goblin says, nodding at the weapon.

[roll0]

Quxelopqr
2008-05-05, 11:47 AM
Kaz

Kaz takes a close look at the skeleton, then steps back and says"I don't know if we should take that weapon, even if it does look useful." Suddenly an idea strikes him. "Hey Dafydd and Karos, you two can tell if this thing is bad or not, right?"

GimliFett
2008-05-05, 12:05 PM
Ozzgar the Wolf

Ozz moves closer in order to see where sword and tree meet in an attempt to approximate how long ago the deed was done.

[roll0]

obliged_salmon
2008-05-05, 03:19 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd focuses his attention on the tree, skeleton, and sword, attempting to discern evil emanations from them.

detect evil at the stuff there

bchilders
2008-05-05, 09:41 PM
Karos

Karos will focus intently on the sword, hoping to glean some important information.

Detect Magic: focusing to tell strength and rolling to know the school

Spellcraft:[roll0]

amanodel
2008-05-06, 09:29 AM
Ozzgar searches the are with precision. He believes that the murder was committed at least several hundreds of years ago, but the magical aura of the sword slowed down the decay of the corpse greatly.

He also finds a small golden pin, hanging from the remains of the armor by a fine golden chain. There's a coat of arms on it, but it's barely visible any more.

The sword radiates no evil, and Karos senses that it has a moderate aura, altough he cannot identify the school of magic.

Daffyd senses a barely tangible malevolent spirit nearby, but it's not active, as if it was sleeping.

obliged_salmon
2008-05-06, 03:14 PM
Dafydd

"Tread cautiously, friends. I sense evil nearby, but not from the sword...." Dafydd readies his hammer.

GimliFett
2008-05-06, 03:28 PM
Ozzgar the Wolf

The goblin removes the chain and pin, and rubs it on his kilt in an attempt to clean it so he can better see the device. "This's int'rest'n'," he mutters as he spits on it and rubs it some more.

bchilders
2008-05-06, 05:26 PM
Karos

"I can only tell that the sword has magic about it," Karos says as he inspects the blade even closer, "but I cannot tell it's purpose here." Karos hands twitches as if to draw the sword but he refrains from doing so.

Knowledge Religion:[roll0]
To see if there is any religious significance to the situation

Quxelopqr
2008-05-06, 06:18 PM
Kaz

"Well does anyone need a new magic sword? I can't quite use them, I prefer lighter weapons. It'll sell well if nothing else."

Dethcom1
2008-05-07, 06:01 AM
Dagg

Dagg spits in his hands and takes up his axes again. "Feh. Magic swords, evil spirits, I need something real to fight. Something that bleeds." He thinks for a moment on what is said by everyone. "Hey, could that sword be any use against this evil thing, whatever it is? Someone decided to leave a perfectly good sword stuck in a corpse, it might have a use besides a few pieces of gold."

amanodel
2008-05-07, 09:15 AM
Ozz cleans up the pin, so he can see better the coat-of-arms on it. It is clearly of elven design, but it requires some extra education tell anything about it more precisely. (history or royalty knowledge, if you dare)

Karos doesn't remember anything from his religios studies remotely similar to the current situation.

GimliFett
2008-05-07, 09:21 AM
Ozzgar the Wolf

Ozz holds the pin up for the others to inspect, now that it is cleaner and easier to see. "Whot d'ye make o' this'n? Elven fer shore, boot Ah don ken it's porpose!"

bchilders
2008-05-10, 12:14 PM
Karos

The itching in his hand increasing, Karos reaches again for the sword. As his hand closes around the hilt he mutters a prayer to St. Cuthbert and pulls it from the tree.

amanodel
2008-05-11, 05:01 PM
As Karos pulls out the sword, the remains of the skeleton fall to the ground, and break into tiny pieces. From the ashes, a dark, translucent ghost emerges, and turns towards Karos. It does seem hostile.

It looks like this. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG258.jpg)

(Initiatives, knoweldge cecks, first-round actions, and whatever strikes your fancy. DC 12 knowledge(planes, religion, arcana, etc) check to realize that undead(incorporeal) creatures are hard to deal with nonmagical weapons.)

obliged_salmon
2008-05-11, 06:01 PM
Dafydd
HP: 21 AC: 18

"I was afraid of that...."

Dafydd lunges at the monster with his hammer, and nearly loses balance as the hammer passes through it. He realizes his hammer will not help him, and puts it away.

[roll0]

Quxelopqr
2008-05-11, 06:33 PM
Kaz
HP:12 AC:16 (13/13)
Aww, crap. What is that, some kind of ghost? Kaz backs up and draws his shortbow, preparing to fire at the creature.

initiative: [roll0]

bchilders
2008-05-11, 07:01 PM
Karos

Karos is taken back by the sudden appearance of the ghost, but a part of him realized something like this would happen. He takes a moment to think back on anything he learned at the monastery about this creature before he channels his divine energy into driving it away.

Init:[roll0]
Knowledge(religion):[roll1]

GimliFett
2008-05-12, 03:23 PM
Ozzgar the WolfHP: 16/16; Init:[roll0]
AC: 17 (14/14)
The goblin hops away from the spirit, quickly stuffing the pendant into his belt pouch before drawing his warhammer from his belt. "Och! A ghoost!"

[roll1]

amanodel
2008-05-14, 01:57 PM
Karos raises his holy symbol high, and offers a short prayer to his chosen god. The wraith hisses, if it was screaming, and backs away. For some reason however, it cannot flee from the divine energy, and it stops 10 feet away of Karos. It continues hissing, as if he was cursing the priest, but the sound is not intelligent by any meaning.

Those who tried to attack it, realize that the creature is incorporeal. Karos also knows that magical weapons have a reputation for being able to damage incorporeal foes.

GimliFett
2008-05-14, 02:15 PM
Ozzgar the WolfHP: 16/16; Init: 19
Ozz looks at the priest. "Ye piss't it oof, takin' it's sword Ah think! Noo whot?" he asks the others for guidance given Dafydd's ineffectiveness with his own warhammer.

Dethcom1
2008-05-14, 02:58 PM
Dagg

Dagg chuckles at the creature's anger. "Aww, look at the little thing. It's almost cute, hissing like that. I told you the sword was important, di''nt I? Maybe that old thing could hurt it. It kept it in that body, after all." Despite his affection to the wraith, Dagg will keep clear until someone devises a strategy to deal with it.

obliged_salmon
2008-05-14, 03:17 PM
Dafydd

"Good work, Karos, I think you've halted it for a moment...now how do we fight it?" Seeing his friend's success in using divine power, Dafydd tries an unorthodox tactic on the spur of the moment, stepping up to the wraith and attempting to channel divine energy into it.

lay on hands on the wraith for 4 (if it hits...and doesn't paralyze me or anything)
[roll0]

bchilders
2008-05-14, 11:22 PM
Karos

Upon hearing the suggestion from his dwarven companion and knowing that his own weapon wouldn't be very effective, Karos continues to hold his holy symbol in the air and hold the creature at bay. He drives the sword into the ground and calls to his companion, "Maybe this weapon can strike that unholy creature, if one of you would like to attempt I will hold this beast at bay as long as I can."

Quxelopqr
2008-05-15, 11:35 AM
Kaz
HP:12 AC: 16 (13/13)

Kaz replaces the bow and draws his kukri. No sense wasting arrows on this thing if I might not be able to hit it. He stays on the defensive, trying to spy the wraith's movements and keep away from it. "Hey Dagg, once we kill it you think we can keep it?"

Dethcom1
2008-05-16, 12:03 AM
Dagg

"I was hoping we wouldn't have to kill it. Maybe it's just like a kitten, you know? It just has to get used to you." Dagg circles around everyone, in the direction the ghost is trying to move but still keeping five feet away from it, and begins baby-talking to it. "Coochee-coo! Come here, boy. We won't hurt ya. Come to Uncle Dagg. Come on, it's all right."

HP:24 I think. I lost track when all the anonymous healing was going on. AC: 16. [roll0]

amanodel
2008-05-17, 11:33 AM
Daffyd channels divine energy to the wraith, which hurts the undead a little, but not that much. However, it's still unable to turn back, and attack you, for it fears the holy symbol too much.

Tho others can't affect it in any way, for now.

obliged_salmon
2008-05-19, 07:28 PM
Dafydd
HP: 21 AC: 18

Dafydd frowns for a moment, and mutters "Well I dislike meddling with unknown magic...." He draws his own glowing longsword and attempts to strike down the wraith.

Here's hoping Dafydd doesn't get possessed somehow!

[roll0] + 6?
[roll1] + 3?
those were the bonuses prior to the sword glowing

GimliFett
2008-05-20, 08:13 AM
Ozz looks at the priest, then to the sword planted in the ground. The goblin shrugs and tosses his warhammer behind him then steps up and grasps the hilt of the blade. "Och! It cannae be any woorse, nae?" With a grin, Ozz readies himself, a little unsteadily, to wield the blade with both hands.

I dunno if that'll eat up the entirety of my action. Lemme know and I'll edit the attack into the above text.
Just in case: [roll0]; Includes size penalty. Please apply whatever else...applies... :smalltongue:
[roll1]

bchilders
2008-05-20, 09:32 AM
Karos

As Ozz grabs the overly large sword (for him at least), Karos gets an idea. "Hold still my friend, and St. Cuthbert will even the odds a bit," Karos says as he places his hand on the goblin and speaks a prayer to increase the might of his smaller companion.

Casting enlarge person on Ozz.

Sorry to ruin the visual of the wee goblin swinging the oversized sword:smallbiggrin:

amanodel
2008-05-26, 05:54 PM
Ozz grows as Karos's spell hits him, and picking up the magical sword, he attacks the ghost. The magical weapon passed through the image just us easily as the pure steel weapons did, but it hit, and damaged the ghost just as if someone would disperse smoke by waving something at it.

Daffyd drew the sword, which emitted it's almost darkening light so intensively as it would know that battle is to come. Daffyd could swear that he heard the entrapped demon screaming in rage while he drew the sword, but the others only heard the usual sound of a sword leaving it's scabbard. He attacked the wraith, and at the moment when the sword touched the image of the wraith, the wild elf felt as if the sword was exploding. Intense energy was unleashed, nearly dispersing the whole image of the wraith. The energy blast was so intense that Daffyd himself felt it quite, and he had hard time not to drop the weapon, which was still visibly shaking from the unleashed power. Daffyd felt as if lighting struck his sword-holding hand. As he overcame the first shock, Daffyd noticed blood flowing from his nose. But the demon didn't came out, and the protective runes on the sword shone agressively to keep it trapped within the sword. (5 damage to Daffyd)

The wraith tried to overcome the priest's power, and faced the attackers, altough it still couldn't attack those around him.

GimliFett
2008-05-28, 02:49 PM
Ozz looks as surprised as anyone else when the sword actually seems to strike something solid. "Och! Nae woonder this was stuck ta tha tree!" With a sharp-toothed grin and a shrug, the man-sized goblin swings the blade again. "A kobold could get used ta this!" he chuckles.

[roll0]; I'm medium using a medium-sized weapon, so no issues? Please add weapon's modifiers. :smallbiggrin:
[roll1] plus whatever the weapon's mods. Plus 1 more. Forgot my Strength is higher.

bchilders
2008-05-28, 05:54 PM
Karos

Karos laughs loudly in reply to the kobolds response. "Well then I might have found a new target for one of my favorite spells," Karos says as he remains focusing on holding the ghost at bay.

Quxelopqr
2008-05-28, 11:27 PM
Kaz

Keeping his kukri ready even though he knows he can't hurt the beast, Kaz takes a defensive stance. "Go get 'em guys! I'll...uh...back you up from here!" I hate being useless...I'll need to get this thing magicked up sometime.

::Kaz is going total defense; I think that's a plus 4 to ac?::

Dethcom1
2008-05-29, 12:20 AM
Dagg

"I think I'll have to do the same. I'm not exactly equipped to fight spirits. It's bad luck, you know." Dagg will keep his axes up and go completely defensive (as if that would help), but not try to attack the wraith.

obliged_salmon
2008-05-29, 10:49 AM
Dafydd[/COLOR]
HP: 16 AC: 18

Dafydd winces in pain as his own sword lashes out at him. Also noticing the damage dealt to the wraith, he decides to shrug it off for now and strike again.

[roll0] +6?
[roll1] +3?

amanodel
2008-06-01, 07:35 AM
Daffyd attacks again, overcoming the pain, but this time he misses the incorporeal wraith.

Ozz, however, strikes true, and the image of the wraith continues to dissolve further. The wraith is angered beyond imagineable, and attacks the oversized goblin, overcoming Karos' command.

Ozz feels as if his heart was ripped out, and he suddenly feels weaker than he was ever been. (3 damage, plus 4 constitution drain)

bchilders
2008-06-03, 04:50 PM
Karos

Karos, seeing that the creature broke through his divine resistance, moves forward to channel his divine energies directly into the wraith. "Begone foul creature," Karos commands as he reaches towards the ghost.

Cure Light Wounds:[roll0]

GimliFett
2008-06-03, 05:01 PM
Ozzgar the WolfHP: 9/12; Init: 19
Though greatly weakened, the goblin steels his resolve and swings the blade at the wraith once more. "Och! Ye bast'd! Ye'll pay fer tha'n!"

Ouch! That smarts! :smalleek: I think my updated HPs it correct.
[roll0]; I'm medium using a medium-sized weapon, so no issues? Please add weapon's modifiers.
[roll1] plus whatever the weapon's mods.

Quxelopqr
2008-06-03, 07:54 PM
Kaz

Kaz stays on the defensive, making sure not to get hit after seeing what it did to Ozz.

obliged_salmon
2008-06-04, 06:56 AM
Dafydd

Seeing the harm wrought to his friend, Dafydd tries to attract its attention. "Foul spirit! Face me, if you dare!" He brings his sword to bear with divine blessing in his swing.

smite evil at the wraith, goad the wraith.
[roll0] +2 (smite) +6
[roll1] +2 (smite) + 3

amanodel
2008-06-09, 04:16 PM
The combined attacks of Ozzgar, Daffyd, and Karos finally destroyed the foul being before it could cause any more harm.

Ozz could enjoy being human-sized for a while, but the magical effect soon disappeared, and only the cold pain remained from the ghost's attack.

obliged_salmon
2008-06-09, 09:43 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd quickly sheathes his sword, not wanting to invoke its wrath further. He grins at the party and pats Ozz on the back. "Well, I suppose YOU were the bigger man in this fight, friend!"

amanodel
2008-06-15, 09:18 AM
Ozzgar doesn't reply, he seemt to have been weakened by the wraith's touch, and struggles with the weakness.

Since it's already late into night, you should get some sleep.

bchilders
2008-06-16, 10:15 PM
Karos

Before heading to bed Karos tells Ozz that he will pray in the morning for the power the relive his weariness. Karos congratulates everyone heartily and sheepishly apologizes for drawing the sword, not knowing what came over him. He spends a little time in prayer before heading to bed thanking St. Cuthbert for delivering them from the ghost.

Quxelopqr
2008-06-16, 10:37 PM
Kaz

Kaz puts his kukri away after the wraith is destroyed but stays up for awhile before finally going to sleep. He offers to take the morning watch if it's needed.

Dethcom1
2008-06-16, 11:58 PM
Dagg

Feeling useless after the fight, Dagg offers to take first watch after setting down his bed roll.

obliged_salmon
2008-06-17, 07:05 AM
Dafydd

"Well, now we've another magic sword to worry about, at least. Though this one seems decidedly less...angry, I suppose." Dafydd offers to take second watch.

GimliFett
2008-06-17, 10:34 AM
Ozzgar the WolfHP: 9/12; Init: 19
Ozz sleeps as soundly as any of you have seen him do in the short time you've known him. Clearly the day's events have taken a toll on the kobold.

Sorry, gang! Missed the post, been RL busy.
Yada yada yada. Blah blah blah. :smalltongue:

amanodel
2008-06-18, 05:26 PM
You sleep well after the tiresome day and ghostly battle, altough it was really cold during the night, and your throats are soreing a little.

You notice that the remains of the dead soldier were buried during the night by someone.

Quxelopqr
2008-06-19, 08:46 AM
Kaz

After waking up with a shiver and preparing to hit the road again, Kaz notices the body's gone. "Um...Daf? Karos? Did either of you two bury that guy? Because I don't see him and I know I didn't do it."

((I'll be out of town for the next couple days so npc me as you see fit))

Dethcom1
2008-06-19, 02:57 PM
Dagg

Dagg grins with nervous embarrassment. "That... that was me. I got a bit anxious with a skeleton staring at me and really, we've made it suffer enough, killing it's ghost and all, that I though we should at least give him or her it's last rites."

bchilders
2008-06-20, 10:25 PM
Karos

After the dwarf's admission Karos lets out a sigh of relief and chuckles loudly as he slaps Dagg on the back. "Next time give us a heads up before hand, because I was about to start looking around for more ghostly friends."

GimliFett
2008-06-23, 04:54 PM
Ozzgar the WolfHP: 9/12;
The goblin rises sluggishly, wiping crusted sleep from his eyes and looks around at the group. When his gaze settles on the priest, he nods and tries to clear his throat of a persistent scratchy feeling. "Karos! Could Ah beg a boon from yer god this morn'? I'm a bit...bedraggled," he finishes with a weak, but toothy grin.

amanodel
2008-06-23, 04:55 PM
After leaving the scene behind, you continue towards your goal, but the dense forest slows you down greatly. But most importantly, no matter how hard you try to go westwards, the trails head to the south always, giving you the impression that these are not called haunted woods by outsiders without reason.

bchilders
2008-06-24, 01:03 AM
Karos

Karos replies to his weary friend, "I prayed hard this morning but the power to completly heal your affliction still alludes me. I can help mend some of the wounds from yesterdays battle though." Karos looks slightly frustrated at his inability to channel more of his god's divine power.

Thought I had second level spells already...sorry CLW is all I have.

CLW:[roll0]

GimliFett
2008-06-24, 09:22 AM
Ozzgar the WolfHP: 12/12;
The goblin nods in appreciation and allows Karos to cast the spell. "At this point, anythin'll help. Thanks!" Once healed, he takes his customary spot at the head of the troop and continues to scout ahead.

After a long while, Ozz returns to the group, frustration clearly creasing his brows. "'S'like we're bein' pushed south. All tha trails bend back. If'n y'all're oop fer it, Ah kin try'n blaze a trail, 'stead o' followin' these. Wotch'all ken?" he inquires as he adjusts the blade slung across his back.

No worries. You must be multiclass, huh? :smallsmile:
I'll deal. I think... :smalleek:

Quxelopqr
2008-06-25, 02:48 PM
Kaz

After thinking for a few moments, Kaz says "Do it Ozz,I bet the elves are responsible for the way the forest doesn't let people in. That might be why the people in the village weren't worried about the army."

amanodel
2008-06-30, 08:53 AM
Ozzgar boldly enters the forest, to make a new trail, since the existing ones lead to the wrong direction. He makes a relatively good progress, but the forest isn't very friendly. You can constantly hear animals nearby, a lot of different birds, deer, foxes, and even a wart hog has passed your ways recently.

Dethcom1
2008-07-03, 11:34 PM
Dagg

Dagg eyes the surrounding forest suspiciously, unease slowly entering his mind. He tries to find anything strange in the sounds of the forest, anything that doesn't quite fit. As the group travels deeper into the forest, he gets more paranoid, and he keeps his hands on his axes.

Survival check to notice anything unusual about the animal sounds (or should I preemptively say elven ambush party?) or the presence of others.

[roll0]

bchilders
2008-07-03, 11:41 PM
Karos

Karos feels the tension in the group as Ozz begins blazing a new trail through these woods. He keeps his eyes and ears peeled, staying wary in this unfamiliar environment.

Listen:[roll0]
Spot:[roll1]

amanodel
2008-07-07, 04:35 PM
You are all wary of your surrounding, yet it comes a surpirse, when a black bear (a female goldmane black bear, as Ozzgar reckognizes instantly) attacks you with ferocity! It appears right next ot Karos, and it's powerful paw almost knock the priest down, and despite the armor, Karos suffered a serious wound (7 damage)

Surprise round over, bear's initiavtive is 11.

Knowledge (nature) or survival chacks can be made if you'd wish to.

GimliFett
2008-07-07, 05:11 PM
Ozz turns to see his friend smacked by the bear.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Quxelopqr
2008-07-07, 05:42 PM
Kaz
HP: 12 AC: 16 (13/13)
Bear out of nowhere...these elves don't want us to get to them. Kaz draws his shortbow and backs up to fire, knowing he can't take the kind of punishment Karos just took. "You alright Karos?"

initiative: [roll0] bow attack:[roll1] damage:[roll2]

obliged_salmon
2008-07-07, 10:07 PM
Dafydd
HP: 18 AC: 18

"A bear! Can't say I like the idea of hurting the creature, still...can't have it eat our poor cleric there." Dafydd reluctantly draws his hammer and moves into a flanking position to attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

bchilders
2008-07-07, 11:32 PM
Karos

Karos flails momentarily surprised by both the suddeness and ferocity of the bears attack. Responding more from instinct then and battle plan the cleric takes a defensive posture while he regains his composure. "Can't say I didn't feel that but I'll be OK," he responds to his companion attampting to alleviate both their and his own concerns.

Initiative:[roll0]

Full defense for the first round in response to the surprise attack
AC+4

Dethcom1
2008-07-09, 08:03 AM
Dagg

Dagg draws his weapons and moves to flank the bear, while gleefully shouting, "Bear for dinner tonight!"

AC:16 HP:24 [roll0]

amanodel
2008-07-09, 03:47 PM
After the bear's surpirse attack, you stand up in formation quickly, and you deliver some hit, but Karos' arrow and Daffyd were both succesfull. The bear suddenly changes target, and attacks the nearby standing Dagg, and its paw and bite brutalize the dwarf. (5 and 5 damage)

Meanwhile, Ozzgar recalls that the gold-mane black bears are slighly stronger than ordinary black bears ( 3 HD ), and they only attack humans when they feel that their cubs are threatened.

GimliFett
2008-07-09, 04:11 PM
The goblin holds up his arms. "Whoah! Whoah! She moost thin' we're after her coobs!" Ozz tries to draw the bear's attention in order to sooth her attitude.

You said Vorr, do you mean Dagg?
[roll0]; c'mon gimme a good roll!

Quxelopqr
2008-07-21, 02:14 PM
Kaz

Kaz stops when Ozz warns them about the cubs. He doesn't fire anymore arrows, instead backing away from he bear.

obliged_salmon
2008-07-21, 07:42 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd attempts to interpose himself between the bear and any retreating party members, using full defense action if possible. "So why don't we leave these poor bears alone then, eh? Any idea how to calm her down in the meantime?"

amanodel
2008-07-23, 02:58 AM
You move back, away from the bear, and altough it roars wildly, it doesn't attack for now. You have a chance now, to get away, but staying further close to the bear could provoke another attack, you don't have to be a druid to feel that.

bchilders
2008-07-23, 10:54 AM
Karos

Though wounded, Karos put on a brave face and stands next to Dafydd as they both back away from the bear. After they put a little distance between them Karos let's out a chuckle and says, "I think maybe it didn't like the way Dagg smelled...though after considering it I can't say I blame him." He gives a jovial smile and closes his eyes for a moment whispering a silent pray to St. Cuthbert.

Casting CLW on himself and waiting for Dagg's reply to his banter before offering the same to him.

CLW:[roll0]

Dethcom1
2008-07-28, 06:26 AM
Dagg

"Bah, I'd probably smell like a rose if I had a god to give me at my beck and call too. In the meantime, how are we going to kill, skin, and cook this thing without it noticing us?" He keeps a wary distance from the bear, eyeing it hungrily.

obliged_salmon
2008-07-28, 07:06 AM
Dafydd

"Come now, Dagg, we'll find a few rabbits or something for dinner. No sense getting ourselves half killed over bear meat, much of which we won't be able to carry out of here in any case. Not that I don't find your enthusiasm catching." Dafydd continues the retreat to a safe distance.

GimliFett
2008-07-28, 12:02 PM
Ozz

The goblin follows behind the others in retreat. "We'll find anoother way 'roun'! Coom oon!" Ozz starts blazing a new trail.

bchilders
2008-07-29, 12:44 AM
Karos

"Well the rose smell is one of following St. Cuthbert's most obvious benefits," Karos jokes back to Dagg as he follows along The new trail being blazed.

amanodel
2008-07-30, 11:01 AM
(I have major issues with accessing the forums, please bear with me a little longer.)

Getting away from the angry bear, Ozzgar tries another path. It seems safe enough, altough incredibly difficult to pass at times. About an hour later, the goblin scout finds a large, ancient stone road leading to the West. It is neglected, but in still a surprisingly good condition.

GimliFett
2008-07-30, 11:11 AM
Ozz

With a self-satisfied smile, Ozz looks back at his companions and points at the road. "See! Ah tol' ya Ah'd get oos throo'!"

Quxelopqr
2008-07-30, 07:54 PM
Kaz

"Great job Ozz! Knew we could count on you." Kaz will follow Ozz down this stone road without bothering to wonder why it is in such good condition.

bchilders
2008-07-31, 12:43 AM
Karos

"Never doubted you for a moment," Karos says to the scout, simple glad to be out on a passable road.

Dethcom1
2008-08-04, 05:49 AM
Dagg

Dagg reluctantly trudges away, although he perks up a bit when the group gets to the road.

"We're getting close to the city, aren't we? Finally, a bed and good ale. And maybe, finally, the payoff. We're gonna be so rich..."

He hums to himself softly as he dreams of diving into a shimmering golden pool.

amanodel
2008-08-06, 05:30 AM
After about an hour of walking, you come across a river. A large stone bridge used to span over the not se large, but very fast river, but the bridge is destroyed, so you'll have t find another way to cross the river. The river is too fast to safely swim through. There is forest in both sides of the river, at around 60 meters distance. The river runs in a little canyon, approximately 20 meters below.

GimliFett
2008-08-06, 11:44 AM
Ozz

The goblin looks around trying to discern in which direction a ford would most likely be located. "Joos' a sec!" he mutters to the others.

[roll0]
[roll1]

obliged_salmon
2008-08-06, 07:54 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd looks around bewildered. "Perhaps we could, er...throw Ozz across? Forget that...bad idea."

Dafydd paces back and forth along the shore, taxing his unimpressive intellect.

GimliFett
2008-08-07, 08:45 AM
Ozz

Ozz looks back at his friend for a moment and winks before returning to his search. "If noothin' else'll do, ya ken Ah'll try anythin' wanse, but I don' ken ye can manage it, d'ye?"

Quxelopqr
2008-08-07, 10:41 AM
Kaz

Kaz frowns at the river. Just one thing after another... "It looks like it's going pretty quick. I'm not that good a swimmer either, so maybe we should find another way."

Dethcom1
2008-08-07, 11:55 AM
Dagg

"Y'know, if I didn't know better I'd think the forest is trying to get us to go away..." He contemplates the situation, also looking for a likely ford or at least a narrow part of the canyon. In the event that one does not present itself, he says, "Maybe... maybe we can tie a rope to someone, get him to climb down and try to swim across. If he goes under we can just pull him back. He'll climb the other side and we can use the rope to get across."

bchilders
2008-08-07, 03:11 PM
Karos

Karos, seeing Ozz's wink, replies, "I could always make our dwarven friend her a mite bigger so he could chuck you better."

Quxelopqr
2008-08-12, 05:06 PM
Kaz

"Maybe if we combined those ideas it'd work. Karos could make someone bigger so they could swim across easier with a rope tied across them. The rope would let us drag ourselves along so those of us who can't swim can still make it. Can anyone swim?" Kaz seems pleased at his idea and looks to the group to see if anyone can swim.

GimliFett
2008-08-12, 05:11 PM
Ozz

Ozz looks back at the bard. "Noot meh! Ah oonly dawg paddle!" he says as he holds his hands up close to his chest and pantomimes a dog's front legs paddling in the water. "Ser'oosly, AhI'm nae bad, but Ah'm nae grate eether!"

obliged_salmon
2008-08-12, 05:35 PM
Dafydd

"I'm afraid I'm not much of a swimmer myself, even without all this clunky armor."

Dethcom1
2008-08-13, 03:30 PM
Dagg

"I'm not too good myself, but I think I can make it across. Plus, I am good at climbing." Dagg takes his climbing kit out of his bag and presents it as proof.

amanodel
2008-08-16, 11:58 AM
Dagg spots a realatively easily climbable way on the other side of the river, where he could climb up if he managed to cross the river.

bchilders
2008-08-16, 03:42 PM
Karos

Looking down at his dwarven friend Karos says, "Well let me know when your ready and I'll make a mountainous dwarf out of you....with St. Cuthbert's help of course." If there are no objections Karos casts enlarge person on Dagg whenever he is ready.

Dethcom1
2008-08-17, 03:10 PM
Dagg

"I'd say I'm pretty mountainous already, but thanks." Before consenting to the magic, Dagg asks for a second rope and ties it securely to his own. He struggles out of his armor and loops part of his rope around him, and says "Alright, hit me."

After the enchantment, Dagg spends a moment admiring his new form. "So, this is why you all are so happy being tall, huh? Wow, I can look down at you! Here, take this..." He hands the other end of the rope to Karos, indicating that the entire group should grab on just in case, makes sure his climbing kit is secure, then dives into the water and swims frantically to the other side.

Okay, taking 10 twice with the rope-tying, and then swimming for dear life. I need to roll at least four times (base speed of 30) and then climb up the cliff. I'll take 10 on the climb checks (I have a +11 bonus with the climber's kit).

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

amanodel
2008-08-19, 09:22 AM
Warning: Deux ex Machina (in English: railroading)

The enlarged dwarf easily climbs down to the small canyon, and begins to cross the water. Karos, and the others grab the other end of the rope, to catch the dwarf if things go wrong. The dwarf is, however, enlarged by the spell, and weighs around four times as more as usual. As he tries to climb out at the other end, he slips on a rock, and falls back to the fast river.

The others quickly get a strong grip on the rope, tryin g to hold the giant-sized dwarf back. But the dwarf is giant-sized, and the fall pulls the rope very quickly, Dagg's momentunm is too great to hold. Lorrick, the barbarian is your last chance, the human is very strong. But unfortunately, the rope slips out of his grip, and Dagg pulls everyone else down! The last thing you remember before falling into the river, is Lorrick lying on the ground, looking at you as you fall down. The water is cold, and the river is vicious, you can barely breath, and your armor pull you down even further. After about a minute of fighting it, you can't feel the rusing weaves anymore, there's only cold darkness as you fall unconscious.

Several miles to the south, where the river flows, a rather strange pair is running for their life. A small, fragile moon elf girl, who is wearing dirty clothes, almost a child, and a considerably larger one, similar to the orcs, but he is even stronger than most of them. Sometimes, when the elf would fall due to the shackles on her legs, the large creature simply picks her up, and continues running. Following them from only a minute distance are several armed man, humans, half-orcs, and even a full-blooded orc. They wear uniformized leather armor, and they are carrying small bows, halberds, or nets.

The pursued pair arrives at the river, which flows almost gently between the farmlands. The river is called Tyrye-Othum, the "highway of swans" in elfish language, and was renamed Hextor's blood, for it has a faint red colour, for the various ores it carries. The chased pair is cornered, there is no way they can cross the river without letting the archers in fire distance.

They find a couple of man, stranded in theri side of the river, in the sand. Some of them are probably unconscious, but a wild elf and a dwarf coughs, and spits water. They are armed, but they certainly don't belong to the same group as the pursuers. As they look up, they spot both the pursuers and the pursued ones, but upon realizing who these pursuers are, they start to wake up the others, who answer to their call surprisingly quickly. The group of six pursuers are approximately one minute away.

Intoducing our new fellow players, Yawielas, and Truwar. And yes, they are the ones being chased.

Yawielas
2008-08-19, 10:55 AM
Vanwa, the moon elf girl, if indeed there is a moon elf under all the grime and dust, looks frantically from the waking people to their pursuers, and draws a dagger, looking up at the large creature as if to ask: Now what? She casts a glance at the river, pondering their chances if they simply let the current carry them away. "Butch! The river?" Keeping a close eye on the men, dwarf and wild elf on the beach, she starts edging towards the water, dagger at the ready.

Truwar
2008-08-19, 06:24 PM
Well, missy, if we try ta slog across that river, they're gonna make pincussions outta our backsides. The big man spins his quarterstaff in a tight arc. Let's take cover n' I'll bushwack 'em when they get closer. You hightail it outta here once I start bustin' heads though.

Butch looks at the sodden group of adventurers. I don't suppose yer a group o' gallopin' do-gooders bent on strikin' down the evils o' slavery whereever you may find it, are ya? Or maybe even jist willin' ta help in the head-bustin' of a pack o' scallawags bent on doin' harm ta this nice young lady? With that Butch nods at the slight form of Vanwa.

Dethcom1
2008-08-19, 08:34 PM
Dagg

Dagg looks at the newcomers with a modicum of confusion before stating, "Look, if you want us to help you fight, just ask. All that time spent talking is much better spent cracking some heads." Looking at his own form, armored only in threadbare clothing, and the incoming party he adds, "Or getting our own heads cracked, as the case may be."

He grips his axes tightly and prepares to charge when the enemy group comes into range.

obliged_salmon
2008-08-19, 09:27 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd, the wild elf, stands and shakes some of the water out of his armor groggily. "Of course, we'll gladly aid those in need, sir. These, my companions, are Dagg of the Undershot clan, Ozz of the wester' kobolds, Kaz - our party's mission leader, Karos - cleric of St. Cuthbert, and I am Dafydd Fennswyth. May I ask your names and how, exactly, came you to be in pursuit this day?" He draws his hammer and shield, after making sure the others are awake.

Yawielas
2008-08-20, 10:00 AM
Vanwa looks curiously at the wild elf, then to Butch, shaking her head. "I'm staying if you are." In answer to Daffyd's question, she answers in accented elven: "I'm called Vanwa, this is Butch. And it's me they're after. They are trying to retrieve their property. Butch is helping me."

GimliFett
2008-08-20, 11:32 AM
Ozz

The goblin growls low in his throat. "Ah'm nae favored o' slavers! Ye'll have mah help, cert'!" Ozz nods, finalizing his statement as he looks over his bow for any damage from the rapids-run.

Truwar
2008-08-20, 01:25 PM
You aint property Missy and now that we got arselves a bit o’ back up, I think its time to explain that to those chumps followin’ us, real emphatic-like. With a grin that promises his "explanation" is going to be less than pleasant he ducks behind a tree, waiting for the arrival of the slavers.

bchilders
2008-08-20, 05:34 PM
Karos

Karos spends the first few minutes on shore coughing up all the water he swallowed on the river ride. He was barely aware of his surroundings enough to give a nod when his name was introduced and when he heard of the approaching slavers he unslung his war mace and began a prayer to St. Cuthbert to see them through the coming battle.

amanodel
2008-08-21, 07:42 AM
The pursuing group finally gets as close as 60 feet, and you have the river at your back. Three of them pull their bows and take aim.

Surrender! - He shouts in Burubu language, and repeats in common when he realizes that not everyone understood the first one.

The archers are behind the othes, you can't attack them directly.

(Feel free to begin combat, initiatives, and first-round actions.)

Yawielas
2008-08-21, 11:03 AM
Vanwa steps back towards the river, pulling the small bag slung across her back free and holds it above the flowing water. She shouts back in Burubu:"I'll toss it in the river! Put down your bows, and call off your dogs, and I'll give it to you!"

(Init: 20 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1706713/ )

obliged_salmon
2008-08-21, 03:38 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd looks puzzled at the moon elf's use of the invaders' language, but shouts a warning to the opposing group. "Leave now and have peace, but know that none of you will harm this maiden while I stand!" He readies hammer and shield, and moves within charging distance of the nearest foe.

[roll0]

Truwar
2008-08-21, 03:45 PM
Butch creeps from his hiding place behind the tree with surprising stealth towards the pursuing group. Attempting to circle around them so he can get the drop on the archers, if things go sour.

((Move Silently: [roll0]
Initiative: [roll1] ))

bchilders
2008-08-22, 12:17 PM
Karos

Before stands next to the young elf maiden and whispers some words in prayer to St. Cuthbert. "Let me make you a little harder to hit, my young friend," he says as he grants her some protection.

Casting Shield of Faith and then readying my weapon in front of the elven girl hopefully to give cover from arrows.

Initiative:[roll0]

Dethcom1
2008-08-22, 01:37 PM
Dagg

Dagg looks quizzically at Dafydd. "Let them go? But the odds are three to one, near enough! Better loot than we've gotten from anthing so far!" He steps forward and shouts at the half-orcs. "Drop your weapons and gold and we'll let you live!"

Despite his grandstanding, he takes a purely defensive stance in anticipation of a charge, again mentally bemoaning his utter lack of armor.

AC: 16 HP: 24 [roll0]

Dagg takes a total defense action.

amanodel
2008-08-25, 09:34 AM
The huge creature called Butch disappears from sight, from a creature of his size, such feats of steath are almost unknown.

The pursuing group is clearly unhappy with the new arrivals siding with their targets, mostly because you are armed and armored adequately.

Load! Take aim! Fire! - shouts their captain, a human.

Three arrows fly through the air. One is aimed at Vanwa, the elf girl, but Karos's spell distracts the arrow enough to miss the girl. Daffyd's shield deflect the second arrow, but the third one hits Dagg clearly. (4 damage) After firing their arrows, they step back, behind the line of the spearmen. Their military discipline is stunning for most of you.

First line: half-orc spearman, human spearman, orc spearman
rear line: human archer, half-orc archer, half-orc archer

You can only attack the first line, as it is, but Butch could also reach the human archer with a quick attack.

Yawielas
2008-08-25, 10:18 AM
Vanwa nods gratefully to Karos for his protective spell, then picks up a fist sized rock from the shore, throwing it with all her might at the front line of spearmen.

Truwar
2008-08-25, 11:29 AM
As soon as the archers open fire, Butch explodes from the underbrush next to them and swings his staff at the skull of the closest archer with terrific force.

((Charge attack: [roll0]
quarterstaff damage: [roll1]
sneak attack damage: [roll2] ))

obliged_salmon
2008-08-25, 03:36 PM
Dafydd
HP: 18 AC: 18 (16, charging)

"Focus your attacks, friends! We'll take them down one at a time!" Dafydd shouts. He charges the orc spearman, attempting to knock his weapon aside with his shield, but his hammer swing goes completely astray, sending him off balance.

[roll0] (charge)
[roll1]

bchilders
2008-08-25, 03:58 PM
Karos

Seeing his friend charge in, Karos dashes in himself thrying to break the formation of the frontline spear-bearers.

Attacking the same one as Daffyd if there is room, if not the closest one

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Dethcom1
2008-08-26, 06:05 PM
Dagg

Dagg likewise charges the enemy line, but angles for the end of the line, knowing it is unreasonable to fight more in his current state, especially considering his next tactic. Halfway through the charge, he goes through a simple mind numbing mantra and feels a burst of rage well up in him. Soon, it engulfs him, and he screams as he barrels into his target, not even bothering to put up a semblance of defense.

HP:24 AC:8 Initiative:12

Charging, attacking an bullrushing (if I can do all 3 - I'm not exactly sure. If I can't, I'll just charge and attack). I'll bullrush him to the archer, so that they occupy the same space.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Quxelopqr
2008-08-30, 12:24 PM
Kaz
HP: 12 AC 16

Kaz had remained silent for awhile, thinking to himself. Why are there slavers way out here? No, not slavers...they're way too disciplined for that. They could be from that legion we saw a few days ago... He is so lost in thought that he doesn't think to introduce himself to the new companions. Drawing his bow, he fires away at the nearest slaver.

initiative:[roll0] attack:[roll1] damage:[roll2]

amanodel
2008-08-31, 03:59 AM
Vanwa's rock hits a spearman on the shoulder, but only to a negligable effect.

Kaz's arrow flies way off in the attempt of a hurried shot. Ozzgar lets an arrow flyy, but he misses just like Kaz.

Butch's surprise attack was good enough to distract the archers, but the human archer could duck from the attack.

Daffyd and Karos charged boldly, but the spearmen deflected the hits with their round shields.

Dagg was more effective than the rest of the party. He attacks the pureblood orc spearman, and sinks his axe deep into the shoulder of the orc.

The archer that Butch attacked backs away and fires an arrow at Butch, but he slightly misses.

The orc attacks Daffyd in return, and his spear goes right through the wild elf's thigh. (8 damage)
The half-orc spearman's attack hits Dagg in the shoulder heavily (6 damage).
The human attacks Karos, but the priest's armour deflects the attempt.

The two half-orc archers put away their bows,a dn they draw a short sword, preparing for meelee.

bchilders
2008-08-31, 04:50 AM
Karos

Seeing his friends not fare well in the opening exchange of the battle Karos puts all of his effort into swinging the battle to their favor. As he brings his mace high above his head he declares, "By St. Cuthbert's hand," and the rest is cut off by a yell as the mace come crushing down on the human in front of him.

Destruction Domain Power: Smite (I think it is +4 to attack +2 to damage, but let me know if I am wrong)

edit: hopefully this is my first successful smite of this campaign or else I am 0 for 4 now

Yawielas
2008-08-31, 06:07 AM
Vanwa darts up on the side, flanking Daffyd's target and stabs her dagger at the orc spearman.

Quxelopqr
2008-08-31, 08:46 AM
Kaz
HP:12 AC: 16

Kaz remembers that he's almost out of arrows and puts the bow away. He draws his kukri and manuvers closer to the opponents, getting into a flanking position near Karos.

obliged_salmon
2008-08-31, 09:35 AM
Dafydd
HP: 10 AC: 18

Dafydd shrugs off the searing pain from the spear and angles another hammer strike at the orc, hoping to fell the wounded enemy.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Dethcom1
2008-09-01, 06:01 PM
Dagg

Dagg continues to swing wildly at the orc,his wound only driving him deeper into his rage.

HP:18 AC:12

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

GimliFett
2008-09-04, 04:19 PM
OzzHP ?/?; AC ?, ff ?, t ?; [roll0]

Ozz growls and rapidly fires two arrows at one of the human attackers. "Ye'll 'ave noon o' it ta'day, 'cept blood in yer boots! Seh ''ello ta yer gods fer meh!"

Preferably the human commander, but otherwise whatever human isn't engaged in melee!
[roll1]; +1 PBS w/in 30'.
[roll2]; +1 PBS w/in 30'.
[roll3]; +1 PBS w/in 30'.

[roll4]; +1 PBS w/in 30'.
[roll5]; +1 PBS w/in 30'.
[roll6]; +1 PBS w/in 30'.

Truwar
2008-09-04, 04:50 PM
Butch closes on the archer, his staff whirling above his head before lashing out in a blur of strikes.

On hand attack: [roll0]
On hand damage: [roll1]

Off hand attack: [roll2]
Off hand damage: [roll3]

Truwar
2008-09-04, 04:52 PM
((Hey! A critical.))

On hand crit confirm: [roll0]
On hand extra crit damage: [roll1]

amanodel
2008-09-05, 02:15 AM
Vanwa closes on the orc, but her attack was not even close to hurt the trained warrior.

Kaz goes the other way around, near Butch, and tries to help Karos by distracting his enemy. Ozz fires tow arrow, the first one hits the commander in the shoulder, through the leather armor. Th eother arrow misses the target, and flies away only inches from Daffyd's head.

Butch lands a flurry of devastating strikes at the archer, and a strong hit right to the head falls the man, probably breaking the neck with that horrific strike.

Daffyd misses the orc spearman, this one seems to be an able combatant.

Karos call's upon st. Cuthbert's might, and the heavy mace falls upon the human spearman commander, breaking bones. The man falls to the ground, and is unable to stand up with his shoulder and ribcage smashed into pieces.

Dagg buries his axe into the orc's leg. The orc falls to his knees, but he is made of a tough stuff, and not giving up the fight yet.

The wounded orc draws a shortsword, and swings at Dagg, making a deep cut into the dwarf's chest. (6 damage to Dagg)

The half-orc jumps to help the fallen captain, and thrusts his spear into Karos' side, but luckily it failed to goo deep enough, but hurts a lot nevertheless. (5 damage to Karos)

The human archers attack Butch with their shortsword, flanking him, and one of them managed to cut into Butch's back around the shoulderblades. (6 damage to Butch)

The enemy lines look like this right now.
Half-orc spearman, uninjured. Human commander, down. Orc spearman, almost down.
Human archer, down. Half-orc archer, uninjured, Half-orc archer, uninjured.

obliged_salmon
2008-09-05, 07:15 AM
Dafydd

Dafydd hesitates to attack his kneeling opponent, but realizes that the orc is still capable of causing harm, and resolved to do so. Dafydd brings his hammer down once again, hoping to finally incapacitate this tough foe.

[roll0]
[roll1]

edit: oh my GOSH. "Hi new people, you want to hang out with me, cuz I can't actually HIT anything!"

Yawielas
2008-09-05, 07:26 AM
While Daffyd attacks the orc from one side, the small moon elf darts in from the other side, trying to find an opening in his armor to put her dagger through.

Truwar
2008-09-05, 11:54 AM
Two against jist little ole me? Why, that aint very neighborly, lets see if we ken make things jist a bit more intimate-like. Butch bears down on one of the archers attacking, unleashing a barrage of attacks with his staff.

On hand attack [roll0]
On hand damage [roll1]

Off hand attack [roll2]
Off hand damage [roll3]

bchilders
2008-09-06, 05:23 AM
Karos

Karos winces from the pain in his side, but steels his mind and brings his heavy mace to bear on his new opponent.

Quxelopqr
2008-09-06, 08:10 PM
Kaz
HP:12 AC:16
Kaz rushes one of the archers and strikes him with his kukri, preferably from any flanking position possible.

attack:[roll0] +2 if flanking damage:[roll1] sneak attack if applicable: [roll2]

Dethcom1
2008-09-07, 05:59 AM
Dagg

Dagg bellows as he takes the blow, feeling his strength seep out of him, but his rage-fueled body refuses to retreat and he advances again, aiming to finally fell the orc.

HP:12 AC:12

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

amanodel
2008-09-10, 11:17 AM
Vanwa still has problems hitting the orc soldier, she clearly lacks practice with weapons.

Kaz moves into flanking position with Butch, but badly fails to deliver an attack. He however, distracts the archer enough for Butch to take an advantege, and Butch delivers two solid blows upon the archer, breaking the halforc left arm raised in self-defence.

Ozzgar's arrow hits the second remaining archer, but it's not enough to bring him down.

Daffyd misses again, the armor is slowing him too much to be effective in this fight. Dagg, however, is in top form, and he decapitates the orc with a massive strike, covering all nearby people in blood.

Karos takes revenge, and hits the halforc spearman at the shoulder.

The halforc strikes back, but this time misses the priest.

The archer Butch is fighting manage to hit him, but the strike wasn't powerful, altough it did a deep scratch at Butch's arm (2 damage).

The other archer attacks Kaz from the side, slashing a deep wound into Kaz's arm (5 damage).

Truwar
2008-09-11, 12:44 PM
Taking full advantage of the distraction Kaz is causing the archer the two of them have flanked, Butch levels two thunderous blows at the half-orc.

On hand attack: [roll0]
On hand damage: [roll1]
On hand sneak attack damage: [roll2]

Off hand attack: [roll3]
Off hand damage: [roll4]
Off hand sneak attack damage: [roll5]

Dethcom1
2008-09-11, 07:24 PM
Dagg

Dagg takes a moment to revel in the bloodshed, a deep bellowing laugh echoing out of his chest as he steps forward to face the archer. He strikes as he laughs, his wounds forgotten in the new surge of adrenalin coursing through him.

HP:12 AC:12

He's taking a 5 foot step to attack the archer.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

obliged_salmon
2008-09-11, 08:58 PM
Dafydd

Wincing at the gory effects of Dagg's beheading strike, Dafydd sidesteps to deliver a hammer blow to the half orc spearman.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Yawielas
2008-09-12, 01:09 AM
Vanwa steps back, trying not to stumble over her chains. She looks around for another opponent, realising this really isn't what she's good at.

amanodel
2008-09-12, 07:08 AM
Butch breaks the head of the other archer easily as smashing pumpkins. It is obviously possesses such sstrenght that even a pureblooded orc would envy.

Ozzgar's arrow hits the other archer in the chest, and Dagg quickly plants his axe in his head, killing the man instantly. The orc spearman decides it!s time to flee the scene, and after ducking from Dafydd's attack starts running, throwing his spear away.As he starts runningm Daffyd's finally able to hit him with his mace (AoO).

If Ozz and Kaz decide so, they can take the running man down easily, or just can simply let him to run away.

GimliFett
2008-09-12, 10:14 AM
OzzHP ?/?; AC ?, ff ?, t ?;

The goblin does not hesitate, growling deeply, he rapidly releases a pair of arrows at the fleeing target.

Dethcom1
2008-09-12, 10:25 AM
Dagg

Dagg slowly comes off his combat high, following the running man for a few moments before stopping, knowing he won't be able to catch up. He begins laughing again, this time a good healthy chuckle, at the beheaded corpse behind him.

His laughter is cut short, however, by a wince and stumble. He grabs his chest in pain and and lets out a strained groan. "Uh, priest? Karos? Can you help me out here? I've got an arrow sticking out of me that I don't know what to do with..."

bchilders
2008-09-12, 03:51 PM
Karos

Karos heads off right next to Dagg, thinking to chase down the lone survivor, but when Dagg pulls up short he realizes the severity of the wounds his companion recieved. Karos inspects the arrow wound and tells his friend, "This might hurt a bit." After extricating the arrow, Karos says a short prayer and lays his hands on the wound.

Heal check for arrow removal:[roll0]
CLW:[roll1]

Yawielas
2008-09-12, 04:57 PM
Vanwa sinks down into a sitting position on the ground, breathing raggedly after the long run and the fight. She looks concerned to Butch, speaking in Burubi: "You're wounded..." Looking around at all the other injured men, she shakes her head. "I'm sorry. Thank you, though. You saved my life. Our lives."

obliged_salmon
2008-09-12, 11:20 PM
Dafydd
HP: 10/21 AC: 18

"Think nothing of it, miss." Dafydd moves slowly and deliberately, surveying the battlefield while trying to hide the pain from his own injuries. "These were Burubu soldiers, were they not? My companions and I are...certainly not partial to their aims. You're under no obligation to answer, but may I ask what it was they sought of you?" Dafydd quietly prays over the foes' fallen bodies.

Yawielas
2008-09-13, 02:13 AM
Vanwa puts the bag she was carrying on the ground in front of her. "This...I took it when I ran away, so that I'd be able to provide for myself. I guess I owe it to you know. At least part of it, a large part should go to Butch, who saved me the first time they caught up. They weren't soldiers, but guards at the mine where I...worked." She opens the bag enough to show the shiny contents. "A mithril mine."

amanodel
2008-09-13, 04:40 AM
Butch throws a dart after the fleeing soldier, and Ozzgar hits him as well, falling the man. He did not manage to get away.

The soldiers are not official Burubu soldiers, they belong the the personal army of a wealthy nobleman. Anyone who have seen Burubu soldiers before can notice that they were not wearing the same uniform, altough the skin tan and other bodily features leave no question about their nationality.

Dagg, and anyone who knows a little about ores can see that the mithral Vanwa's carrying worths a fortune, about 2000 gp. This is pure mithral, altough not the top quaity. Mithral is usually worked with iron at 1:3 ratio to produce weapons or armour, so even a small quantity of pure ore is enough for the work.

Quxelopqr
2008-09-13, 04:44 PM
Kaz

Attempting to ignore his wound, Kaz tries to go after the wounded soldier but feels the sting in his side and painfully stops.

To Vanwa he says "Don't worry about it, they won't be coming after you to again." He goes over to some of the archers and looks about for some spare arrows. While he's doing this a thought comes to him. "I'm Kaz by the way." After picking up the arrows Kaz gives ten of them to Ozz and puts six into his quiver.

Dethcom1
2008-09-13, 06:04 PM
Dagg

Dagg stretches back, testing the limits of his healed wounds. He quickly returns, however, with a sharp grunt of pain. "Thanks, Karos. Feels better than ever." He takes the arrow back, passing it from one hand to the other as he wanders over to Vanwa.

"That's some nice ore. You can get a pretty penny for that, I'd bet, once you get to a city." He begins rifling through the pockets of the dead soldiers, pausing in his rummaging to speak to Butch. "You're alright, you know that? A good hand in a scrap. Almost as good as a dwarf I'd say." He cackles at the comment. "Say, you wouldn't be heading to the tree hum- I mean, elf city would you?"

bchilders
2008-09-14, 01:34 PM
Karos

Karos nods in return to the dwarf's thanks and starts to move over towards Daffyd before he reconsiders. He would rather me heal the others first, he thinks to himself with a small smile at being able to appreciate the character of his newly acquired companions, so he heads over to the large orcish fellow. "You fought valiantly good sir. Do you mind if I help those wounds mend a bit faster? St. Cuthbert's blessing to such a fine administer of justice," Karos waits for approval before he says a small prayer to his god.

After healing Butch, he makes his rounds to his companions bandaging up those he can and offering what little healing he has left.

CLW:[roll0] for butch
Two cantrips to both Daffyd and Kaz and healing checks for anyone else who needs it
Heal:[roll1]
Heal:[roll2]

Yawielas
2008-09-14, 01:42 PM
Vanwa shrugs a little. "I don't exactly know where we're going. Just...away from here. Where is this elf city?" She scratches her ankle a bit, sticking her fingers in under the manacle.

Quxelopqr
2008-09-14, 06:06 PM
Kaz

"You know Vanwa, there's no reason for you to be wearing that thing on your leg. If you like I'll get rid of it for you." If she accepts Kaz will attempt to pick the lock on the manacles.

Kaz'll take 20 for a result of 30.

Truwar
2008-09-15, 09:03 AM
Butch nods in thanks to Karos, then heads directly for Vanwa. You okay little missy? He looks her up and down, looking for any sign of wounds. At the offer of the mithril, Butch shakes his head at Vanwa, however. That's yer back pay fer workin' in tha mine. Iffin ya want ta give me a small retainer fer bustin' the heads o' those chumps, I work fer reasonable rates but the mithril is yers.

He then addresses Vanwa in Burubi. Are you truely all right? Let me know if you feel any stiffeness in the next few days, even the lightest of strikes can damage one internally.

Yawielas
2008-09-15, 01:40 PM
Vanwa gladly accepts Kaz' offer of help with the manacles.

Looking up at Butch when he comes over, she answers in Burubi, which is the language she's most used to: "Yes, I'm allright. I wasn't hit. Not this time. They got in a few good kicks last time, before you showed up, but I think maybe I'm just stiff from all the running..." She sighs. "I've never run this far."

bchilders
2008-09-15, 02:55 PM
Karos

Karos listens intently as the two newcomers speak to each other in Buburi, but he tries not to let on that he understands. When he realizes there communication is harmless he goes about administering aid to his companions and says to all, "We were fine instruments of St. Cuthbert's swift justice today, but I've come to expect that from such companions as I've been blessed with." He says this all with a genuine smile, happy to have companions he can count on both in and out of battle.

obliged_salmon
2008-09-15, 09:48 PM
Dafydd

"Indeed, it is so, my friend." Dafydd clasps Karos on the shoulder, grinning.

"I hate to urge you further travel if you are winded, Vanwa, but it would be prudent not to linger here. My companions and I can deviate from our quest long enough to take you somewhere safe...though to be sure, I for one have no idea where such a place might be. Perhaps you would be safest in our company for the time being then, if that is agreeable?"

Dafydd turns to address Butch. "You are quite a capable fighter, sir. I commend your bravery and valor. Please consider yourself welcome to join us as well; I would consider myself fortunate if you would."

"We should also look for Lorrick, who should be on the other side of the river. Apart from that description, however, I have no bearings on where we are currently." Dafydd frowns.

Dethcom1
2008-09-15, 11:01 PM
Dagg

"A mite downstream is my guess. Hopefully, we'll be able to cross near here and get Lorrick and my armor back." Dagg walks back to the beach and tries to determine wether or not the river is fordable, as well as how far the group has washed.

Survival checks to determine any nearby fords as well as our distance from where we just were.

1d20+8
1d20+8

amanodel
2008-09-17, 09:42 AM
Dagg is sure that the group is noy very close to the southern see, which would mean that you were unconscious for almost a day. The river is slower in her downstream, you can easily cross it many places.

It took some time, but Kaz managed to open Vanwa's manacles.

Dagg finds out that the armour of the orcish soldiers could be useful for him,k given that both races have a strong upper toso. Maybe not too comfortable, but better than nothing.

Truwar
2008-09-17, 05:13 PM
Butch winks at Vanwa and continues to speak to her in Burubi. Do not worry, if you become too tired to run, I can carry you. I have a great deal of experience in the running department. These folk do not seem terribly put off by my foreignness, what do you say to joining up with them? They appear rather skilled in combat and traveling in a large group would provide us with excellent cover. Perhaps we should stick to a language they more of them can understand as well, lets not make them worry that we are plotting.

Dethcom1
2008-09-17, 07:05 PM
Dagg

Dagg starts cursing violently as he realizes where the group is.

"Fate-cursed bastard child of a bloody earth-buggering giant lover!" He rushes at a tree and begins hacking at it with both axes, continuing to scream unintelligibly about the forest. He calms down slightly after a few minutes of this.

"That armor was like a brother to me..." Dejected, he walks over to the orc and pries of it's armor, pausing occasionally to deliver a boot to the corpse's head.

obliged_salmon
2008-09-17, 08:52 PM
Dafydd

"Dagg...that's quite strong language, remember there is a lady present. What is it that's upset you?"

To Vanwa, "I apologize miss, my friend is a little bit rough around the edges...usually in a good way." He adds an ingratiating smile.

Dethcom1
2008-09-17, 11:32 PM
Dagg

Dagg is utterly unfazed by the presence of a lady and continues to spit his words venemously. "We've been carried downstream a long way. I won't be able to recover my armor without setting us back longer than we can afford. Some blasted bear is going to use it as a personal pisspot now, I'm sure." He looks down, another expression of disgust writ large on his face. "So, rather than that sturdy dwarven steel, I have to rely on this slipshod mess to protect me. Bah, I'll be dead come the morning, just you see."

Quxelopqr
2008-09-18, 09:07 AM
Kaz

Noting his friend's distress, Kaz looks at his own armor. Suprisingly, the suit was still in excellent shape. "Hey Dagg, if it's really no good you can use my armor. It isn't as good as your old suit, or probably the one you have there, but it's better then normal leather and doesn't restrict mobility at all. I'm not on the front lines much so it'll suit you better then me anyways." If Butch or Vanwa isn't wearing any armor he offers to let them have it as well. (Kaz's armor is masterwork studded leather)

Yawielas
2008-09-18, 09:32 AM
At the mention of a lady present, Vanwa starts looking around for her. When she realises they're talking about her, she blinks. "Uh....that's allright...I've heard a lot worse." She speaks in Common now, so they everyone will understand. She nods to Butch' idea about joining up.

Vanwa is not wearing armor of any kind, only a thin shirt over knee length pants.

Quxelopqr
2008-09-18, 12:50 PM
Kaz

I can't just let a wanted girl go without armor, and besides, I don't get attacked that often. He offers the armor to Vanwa. "Would you like it? Those guys were after you if I'm right, and if they come back I'd prefer you better protected then with what you're wearing now." After a seconds pause he adds "Don't worry 'bout me, I'll be fine without it. I'm pretty quick."

Yawielas
2008-09-19, 03:08 PM
Vanwa looks doubtfully at the armor offered. "Thank you. Won't it be too big for me, though? I've never worn anything like that before."

bchilders
2008-09-20, 11:40 AM
Karos

"Anything is better than walking around without any protection...that is other than us of course," Karos says with a grin. After looking over the wounds of his companions he finds a place to spend a few moments in pray thank St, Cuthbert for the safety of eac of his companions both old and new.

Quxelopqr
2008-09-20, 03:00 PM
Kaz

Heh, hadn't thought of that. She is a bit smaller then me."That's alright then. Karos is right anyways. Are you two hungry?" Kaz takes a ration out of his pack and offers it to Butch and Vanwa.

Yawielas
2008-09-20, 03:15 PM
Vanwa is about 4'5'', skinny and covered in dust and grime. Some scrapes and bruises are visible on her face, and red marks around ankles and wrists. An armor for a grown man would be much too big. Had she been human, she'd look somewhere between 16-20 years old. Her hair seems to be light in color, and her eyes are amber.

She looks hungrily at the food offered and accepts a portion. "Again, thank you."

amanodel
2008-09-24, 03:03 PM
The straps of Kaz's and the soldiers leather armour can be adjusted, in a few minutes to fit someone other than it's original wearer, So neither Kaz and Vanwa needs to go without armour. The Burubu armour can even be altered with a little work so that won't be a give-away.

Ozzgar is cautius enough to suggest you at least hiding the bodies, and concealing the fact of the battle as much as it is possible in a few minutes. After that, you can cross the river easily.

From a hilltop you can see the surrounding area. There is a small city in front of you, but you find a Burubu legion camping around it. It is your choice to try to go unnoticed around the city, or to risk going through the city.

Truwar
2008-09-24, 04:52 PM
Butch pushes aside the huge grey cloak he is wearing to reveal a very well crafted suit of studded leather. I’m jist fine in tha arse protectin’ department but anything ya can spare fer the little missy would be dandy. She needs sumthin’ ta armor her up against tha wind, at the very least. We’ve been on the lamb since we crossed paths a while back and I couldn’t exactly take the time fer the major sew-job it’d take so she could wear sumthin’ o’ mine.

With that, Butch pulls a large cigar from inside his cloak and places it between his lips, he pulls a flint and steel from his belt pouch and expertly guides sparks onto the end of the cigar while he puffs gently on it. After a short while, the end bursts briefly into flame and he begins to contentedly blow blue rings of spicy smelling smoke into the air.

amanodel
2008-10-01, 01:44 PM
You enjoyed the wiev for a while, trying to figure out what to do, and you got hungry.

(Everyone is MIA, or did I just write a screwed-up post you were unable to answer? :) )

Yawielas
2008-10-01, 01:52 PM
Vanwa stands staring down at the city curiously, and a little alarmed at seeing the burubi legion surrounding it. "Perhaps we can go around?" She's now wearing the adjusted armor, and speaks mostly in Common.

(Sorry, was away on a larp. Back now :) )

obliged_salmon
2008-10-01, 03:27 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd puzzles over their current surroundings. "Does anyone know where we are, or what city lies hence? I'm inclined to err on the side of caution and avoid attracting any attention by going around, as well."

amanodel
2008-10-01, 03:54 PM
Knowledge (any relevant) DC 16 to know about the city. At first glance it seems like a medium-sized Nabarrian town, expanded largely with imperial colonists. This means, that a notable part of the town is of Nabarrian origin, which leaves you a chance of passing through.

Truwar
2008-10-01, 04:39 PM
Butch\

Wreathed in fragrant smoke, Burch examines the town below, trying to get his bearings after having runs so far, cross country, with Vanwa.

Knowledge Local: [roll0]

Quxelopqr
2008-10-01, 06:47 PM
Kaz

"As much as I'd like to stay indoors for once, I'm all for traveling around this one. No sense getting ourselves in trouble right?"

amanodel
2008-10-02, 02:04 PM
Butch knows a little about this town, for he was visiting it some time with his late master. Fockshaulle, or Foxhole as the people refer to it most often, is a prospering town, known mostly for the quality goods produced here. Silverware and pottery is the main export, Butch carried quite a lot goods after his master in his younger days. Given his racial uniqueness, quite a lot of townsfolk noticed him, and maybe remembering him. Foxhole generates trade and wealth, corruption is quite high, a few gold pieces here and there can open a lot of doors for the man.

Dethcom1
2008-10-03, 11:25 AM
Dagg

"I agree. I've had my fill of fighting for the day, and I doubt this leather will hold back a sword or spear. Let's just march till we get past this legion, heat up our dinner, and catch some sleep." Despite the jovial tone of his voice, Dagg's expression seems morose, particularly when he speaks of his "new" armor.