PDA

View Full Version : The messengers



Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Yawielas
2008-10-03, 11:39 AM
After studying the town for a little while, Vanwa turns to Butch. "That's a town, isn't it? I know I said maybe we should go around, but I guess we'll need supplies. Supplies that they have down there. I'd like some new clothes, at least. And shoes or boots. Perhaps just a few of us could go in, we could use the mithril to pay for what we need."

Truwar
2008-10-06, 10:31 AM
That’s Foxhole. Butch removes the cigar from his mouth and gestures towards the town below. Been there plenty o’ times. They got a lot o’ gold and they aint too burdened down by scruples and the like. I would be the perfect place ta unload that mithril and meybe get some armor fer Dagg. I don’t know whatcha lost but there’s a good chance we can get ya somethin’ heavier ‘en studded leather. We need ta get somethin’ with a bit less o’ a “slavey” look fer Vanwa too.

Dethcom1
2008-10-06, 04:36 PM
Dagg

"If only this were studded! I wouldn't be half as upset if this were studded! At least it'd have some good metal in it! But it's plain leather! I might as well just wrap myself in a bedroll!" Dagg sighs heavily, then says, "If it's the nearest place to get armor, I say we camp here for the night, get good and rested, then try to break through the Burubus at dawn."

amanodel
2008-10-10, 11:31 AM
Butch will had to town, with those who'd like to join. Even in wartimes, civilians can enter cities mostly, altough those with weapons and armour will be looked with suspicion.


(if noone else wants to go down ther, we can skip this part, but if some of you are interested in the city, we can play it through, this is what I was waiting for, soory for not making it clear.)

Truwar
2008-10-10, 11:50 AM
Tell ya what, how about ole' Butch goes and does a bit o' shoppin' fer all o' us? I've been ta Foxhole more times than I care ta mention and folks don't look at my shinnin' countenance more 'en once anymore. He twirls the staff he had just used to crack the skulls of the archers a short time ago. My weapon also passes as a walkin' stick, so that aint gonna draw too many eyes neither.

Iffin’ ya want ta come with me, don’t carry nuthin’ bigger’n a dagger. Battle axes, swords, and maces and such tend ta draw the eye. I’ll get Vanawa’s chunk o’ mithril to a good fence and unload it. Then I’ll get ‘er sumthin’ ta keep the wind off ‘er and whatever other gear she might need. Turning to Vanwa he addresses her, with a somewhat uncharacteristic note of concern in his normally folks, devil-may-care voice. You gonna be ok stayin’ here?

Yawielas
2008-10-10, 01:16 PM
Vanwa nods. "I'll be fine. I'm gonna need some shoes or boots, some clothes and a cloak, and maybe some blankets and whatever else one might need when travelling. Just...be careful. Especially around those soldiers." She hands Butch the sack of mithril, and sticks a foot forward so he can see her size.

Dethcom1
2008-10-10, 01:21 PM
Dagg

Again, the strength of Butch's accent throws Dagg off.

"Uh, yeah? Some chain would be fine. I'll make do with a shirt, if nothing else is available." He grins wryly, suddenly, understanding the middle of Butch's little speech. "Sorry, all I have are axes. Though if you can get me a few for throwing, that'd be great too. I get the feeling I'm just gonna keep accumulating wounds the longer this journey goes on."

obliged_salmon
2008-10-10, 07:53 PM
Dafydd

"With such a shopping list, Butch will be hard pressed to carry it all himself, it would seem. I will go along with him, for that reason and in case an extra hand is needed if danger arises. Can anyone lend me a dagger? I'll leave my normal weaponry here. Karos, if you would be so kind as to keep an eye on my sword - I fear there is some evil contained within it."

Quxelopqr
2008-10-10, 10:23 PM
Kaz

Kaz pulls the dagger off his belt. "Here's a dagger Dafydd." With a wry grin he adds "We can't send all the muscle into town, right? I'll wait here too." Kaz finds a nearby tree and sits under it, allowing himself to take a bit of a rest for awhile.

bchilders
2008-10-11, 03:59 AM
Karos

Karos opens his mouth to volunteer to accompany the Butch to the village when Daffyd makes his request. "I was planning on escorting our friend to the village, sometimes a holy man can bring some calm in an agitated situation. But if you would rather me stay here I understand the importance of keeping an eye on this accursed blade," Karos says to Daffyd waitning to here his response.

obliged_salmon
2008-10-11, 10:24 AM
Dafydd

Dafydd grins sheepishly. "Ah, quite right. It is my burden to bear, after all. You shall indeed accompany master Butch, then. Here, you ought to take Kaz's dagger, and I'll gladly watch any weapons of yours."

amanodel
2008-10-12, 12:34 PM
At the hilltop (Vanwa, Dafydd, Dag, Ozzgar, Kaz)

The afternoon is quiet, and you were able to relax for a while. Later, you spot, an old, cloaked man coming towards you. He looks to be of native origin, and carries a mystical-looking sack.
When he gets near you, he smiles, and bows. "Greetings, travelers, and may the road be soft under your feet! You be interested in my wares?" - he asks, and shows you his sack, with various vials and herbs.

At the town (Butch, Karos)

"Halt, and state your business!" - says the gatekeeper before letting you in further. He looks at both of you with clearly suspicipous gaze.

Truwar
2008-10-13, 01:15 PM
Butch

Butch does his best to put a name to the face of the gatekeeper, wracking his brain to see if he can remember exactly how to handle this man.

Knowledge Local: [roll0]

amanodel
2008-10-13, 02:40 PM
Butch recalls the name "Flingorfen", but as it turns out, this man is not, him, altough he does know the other guy. Not the best start, but better than nothing, that's for sure.

Truwar
2008-10-13, 03:00 PM
Listen, we're jist stoppin' over ta resupply and spend a bit o' cash in yer lovely town. Butch says with an uncharacteristic amount of absolute honesty. I was jist regalin' my pals here with tales o' what a posh place Foxhole was and all o’ the sudden they had a bee in their bonnet ta come see the place. Its ten miles outta our way, I sez. We gotta see this place, they sez. Well, I been here and knowin’ how nice the folk were here, I couldn’t really deny ‘em the pleasure o’ experiencin’ it fer themselves.

Now, I know yer a hard werkin’ fella and probably got put here on this gate on accounta yer werkin’ so much harder ‘en everyone else. Tis the plight o’ all hard werkers, we get given all the hard werk. Butch shakes the guard’s hand at this point, slipping two gold pieces into his hand. We hardly ever get what commin’ to us neither, well the least we should be able ta do is unwind at a nice tavern after a hard day’s werk ‘en toss back a few, n’ that’s all were gonna be doin’ in yer lovely town here.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Quxelopqr
2008-10-13, 03:07 PM
Kaz

Kaz nods to the salesman. "May the road be soft under your feet as well, sir." Kaz looks in the bag for anything that stands out from the rest.

spot if neccessary: [roll0]

amanodel
2008-10-13, 03:42 PM
Town of Foxhole

The bribe worked excellently with the guard, and after telling you how a bad idea it would be to something rude to these hard workers, he lets you in.

The town is full of working people, indeed, and it is not hard to find a shop suitable for your needs.


Hilltop

Kaz can only see vials and herbs, but when the old man realizes that someone might be interested in his wares, he quickly puts down his bag on the ground, unfolding it to a ragged towel, so every part of his ware is shown clearly.

Dragonmint 'gainst the dragons! Griffonweed to cure disases! Extract from the ogre lilly for strenght! Blood of the dire lion for healing your wounds! - he leans closer - Or maybe you just need some moonweed?

Moonweed is a rather famous (or infalous) herb that causes euphorya and hallucinations when burnt and inhaled. For some reasons, it is illegal in the Nabarrian kingdoms and the Burubu and Cussillian colonies, but it is used as sacred ingredient in the koboldish rituals. The other stuff you don't know about aside from what the old herbalist told you.

Yawielas
2008-10-13, 04:32 PM
Vanwa looks at the wares curiously, but remains quiet, since she sent all her worldly belongings with Butch.

Dethcom1
2008-10-15, 02:20 AM
Dagg

Dagg looks at the vials with interest, mentally tallying his coinage, and asks the man, "What do you have that could maybe make me harder to hit, or keep me from harm? We've had a little trouble on the road, and my armor was... martyred."

bchilders
2008-10-15, 10:57 AM
Karos

Karos opens his mouth to but in his input with the village guard but notices how deftly Butch seemed to handle the situation so he promptly closes it back up. After they pass Karos pats his new companion on the back and says, "I see we've aquired a companion with a silver tongue. I'll follow your lead, just let me know what yo uneed from me."

Truwar
2008-10-15, 05:17 PM
Butch chuckles and takes a reflective puff on his cigar as Karos congratulates him. Well, when ya got a luvely face like mine, ya gotta back it up with some serious smooth talkin’. As they head away from the gate, Butch leads them into a slightly less reputable part of town, to a likely place to unload the mithril.

obliged_salmon
2008-10-15, 08:42 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd keeps a wary eye on the salesman, scanning the surrounding area for a potential ambush.

[roll0]

amanodel
2008-10-16, 02:29 PM
Hilltop

Noone is sneaking around you, it's just the old man, who are trying to sell you his wares.

Upon Dagg's inquiry, he starts to search through his stuff. "Let me see, let me see..." - after a minute of searching, he shows a vial to Dagg - "Ahh, here it is! Fermented sweat of a stone giant. Tastes horribly, but makes you harder, that's sure!" - he presents the vial with the pride of a kraftsman.


Foxhole

Butch remembers the way to the oldtown, where the most shady deals are made. The old town has a high percentage of native Nabarrian population. You can find a pawn shop realtively easily. A dark alleyway, with some drunk people lying around in the mess. "Bobby's buy'n'sell", as the table proudly introduces that mess of a shop. Probalby the most ill-reputated in town.

Truwar
2008-10-16, 05:34 PM
Butch heads into the Buy n' Sell, looking for the proprietor, so he can sell the mithral.

Dethcom1
2008-10-16, 06:20 PM
Dagg

Dagg grimaces at the man's description of the potion, but opens his money pouch just the same, sighing as he does so.

"My gold is a little light right now. I don't suppose you'd be willing to trade a potion of healing for it, would you? Never used... I also have a spare waterskin in my backpack, some rope..." He looks at the merchant hopefully.

amanodel
2008-10-19, 08:48 AM
Town

Butch find the shopkeeper, an old, one-eyed man of local origin. He seems untrusty, and shifty, and when Butch presents him the mithral, he knows that you are in trouble, so you can ask for outrageous prices. Mithral is state property, which means that you probably take it from the state. Altough the whole pawnshop is illegal as well, and that evens the chances of haggling a little.


Hilltop

The rope and the healing potion doesn't interest the travelling alchemist. He is upset that you have no money, and impatiently, he asks - So, how much do you all have? Maybe we can work something out.

Truwar
2008-10-20, 11:50 AM
Butch works for the best price they can get for the mithral, pointing out that they could always take it to a competitor if the shopkeep did not want it and pointing out that if he was willing to make an offer on it, he must have a buyer.


Diplomacy:[roll0]
Intimidate: [roll1]
I figure these to skills would come into the negotiations.

Yawielas
2008-10-20, 11:55 AM
Vanwa shakes her head a little at the old man. "I don't have anything," she says in Common.

Quxelopqr
2008-10-20, 03:11 PM
Kaz

Kindness without trust, that's how you said to treat merchants like this right? Kaz puts a hand near his pouch and says "I think I have a few pieces on me. How many are you talking?"

amanodel
2008-10-26, 10:31 AM
Foxhole

After some negotiating, threats of violence and some rather nasty insult at each others honour, Butch manages to pull off a rather good deal.For one-third of the mithral, he manages to get the needed weapons and armour.

The following list of items are purchased:

-Two throwing axes for Dagg.
-A rather sturdy, but horrible-looking armor for Dagg.
-A used theater outfit for Vanwa, from the play Hooded Robyn. It's not really practical, but it was the only available in her size. It includes a leather breastplate.
-A sling with 20 bullets, and a punching dagger for Vanwa.
-Two quivers of arrows.

Hilltop

I give you the potion for a mere five golds! Or I can give you five for twenty golds, how's that? - he rubs his hands togeter.

Truwar
2008-10-27, 07:12 PM
Butch attempts to bargain for some gold as well, but if he is unable to do so, he will accept what he has gotten so far and return to the others, outside of town.

Dethcom1
2008-10-28, 01:38 PM
Dagg

Dagg's jaw drops at the price. "Those damned priests overcharged me! I knew I should have taken the gold, but no, they said the potion was worth so much more... After this is over I'm going back there and getting my fair money's worth.

"Will you... will you take four gold?" Still, you aren't going to get me away from my money that easily.

Quxelopqr
2008-10-28, 01:50 PM
Kaz

Kaz withdraws sixteen pieces of gold from his money pouch. "Here. This plus Dagg's four makes twenty. 5 potions sounds like a good deal for that price."

amanodel
2008-10-28, 03:03 PM
Town

Sadly, the pawnshop's owner doesn't do business in gold. If you have no other business it town, you can go bakc to the others.


Hilltop

Yes, yes, it will suffice, so to say. - says the grumpy old alchemist, and handles the potions over to you - taking the gold in the process.

Truwar
2008-10-30, 03:57 PM
Having aquired everything he can from the shady shop owner. Butch leads the small group back out of town and to their other companions.

amanodel
2008-11-01, 12:34 PM
Shortly after purchasing the potions from the old man, Butch and Karos retunred from the city with the purchased equipments.

Dagg sees the armour bought by Butch. It's a thick hide armour of zebra skin (altough Dagg himself have never seen such striped animal), with the head of the animal acting as a cloak. Despite how out-of place it looks, it fits Dagg, and looks extremely sturdy, as if it was magically enhanced.

Vanwa could be complaining about her used theater clothes, but given that it comes with a leather armor and it's the first real set of cloth she has, she may be delighted as well.

Yawielas
2008-11-01, 01:13 PM
Vanwa is indeed delighted, and tries on the new clothes right away. Once she's done dressing, she runs her fingers through the tangles of her hair, trying to work out the knots. "Thanks, Butch! Maybe we can find a stream or a pond on our way so I can get this grime and dust off. I've never seen clothes like these before...Is this how they dress here?"

Truwar
2008-11-03, 12:30 PM
Not wanting to disappoint Vanwa, the normally glib tongued bugbear fumbles a bit at her innocent question, fiddling with his cigar as he speaks to her. Well, erm, there're some folk that go round kited up like that, ‘en that’s the truth missy. And none o’ them ‘er slaves either… It’ll keep ya warm ‘en help keep ya unperforated, ‘en that’s what’s most important…

Dethcom1
2008-11-03, 01:53 PM
Dagg

"Is that..? No... What in the Nine Hells did this skin come from? Looks like some sort of fierce... animal? - if it goes parading around in these colors. Thanks, Butch. I can finally stop smelling like a slab of rotting meat." He changes out of his armor quickly, but despite his enthusiasm, there is no noticeable difference in his (rather prodigious) stench. Still, he stretches in the armor, testing it's give and getting used to the weight.

Quxelopqr
2008-11-04, 01:09 PM
Kaz

Kaz gets up from his spot under the tree. He can't keep from smiling as he sees Dagg trying out his new armor. Vanwa's theatre clothes strike Kaz with an idea, but he shakes it off. "Well then, you guys want to get going or stay in town tonight?"

bchilders
2008-11-05, 12:57 PM
Karos

Karos looks over Dagg in his new armor and says with a smile, "Whether the animal looked fierce in life or not...in death it looks like quite the formidable beast."

Responding to Kaz, "I'm for continuing onward, but if our new companions are in need of a little rest after their trying ordeals of the last few days we can rest here as well." Karos looks toward Vanwa as he says this to see if she is in condition to continue travelling.

Yawielas
2008-11-05, 01:14 PM
Vanwa still looks battered and tired, but her smile and determination to put as much distance between herself and the mines shines through. "I want to move on. Although staying in a town might be exciting. I'll go with whatever the rest of you decide. Butch?" The little elf turns her amber eyes on the large form of her companion.

Truwar
2008-11-06, 06:25 PM
Butch considers for a moment before finally shaking his head. As much as I’d like ta down a passle o’ strong ones, we’d best move on down the road jist a bit. In fact, if we could haul our backsides right outta Imperial territory, it might be fer the best. They know yer face, missy, and they ken probably guess what happened ta the pack o’ skrags that they sent after ya.

By the number o’ hunters ya had on yer trail, I’m guessin’ they know about the pretty little rock ya purloined too. Naw, I think that best move fer our health is ta keep movin’, even if we have ta sleep rough fer a while.

Quxelopqr
2008-11-07, 12:34 AM
Kaz

"Alright then, let's get moving. Ozz, do you know if we're still on the right track?"

amanodel
2008-11-10, 03:02 PM
(I guess Gimlifett is still ahving troubles accessing the forums, so I'll try to NPC Ozz for the time being.)

Yae, the trail joost bends down there, c'mon! - answers Ozz, and leads the way. Being cautios not to get too close to Imperial legion camps, you finally succeed on getting past the town, and now you're back on the road to the west, altough it's already late, and the sun almost set down.

Truwar
2008-11-12, 05:35 PM
Whelp, I aint exactly tha woodsy-type, n' I try ta make sure I always got a roof over me head when I kin manage it but it looks like we're gonna be sleepin' rough tonight. Any of you fellers got a suggestion on the best way ta go about catchin' a little shut eye in tha great outdoors? The bugbear puffs contentedly on his cigar while he waits for a reply.

Dethcom1
2008-11-13, 11:42 PM
Dagg

"Well, first you've gotta find a nice dry soft spot on the ground, maybe a leaf pile if you like living in luxury, but remember, only dry leaves! It's bad luck to sleep in wet ones. Then, you just unroll your sleeping mat and take a little nap." Dagg unrolls his sleeping roll and begins undoing his armor, but pauses partway through. "Y'know, i think i'll take first watch if it's all the same to the rest of you."

bchilders
2008-11-17, 02:47 AM
Karos

"I'll take the last watch. Early mornings always suited me better anyways," Karos says as he readies himself for bed.

Quxelopqr
2008-11-17, 01:23 PM
Kaz

"Well, bad luck and you'll catch a cold. I'll take the second watch then."

Kaz starts collecting some wood and brush from around the road and off it, then makes a small fire.

Yawielas
2008-11-17, 02:13 PM
Vanwa looks a little bewildered at the talk of watches. "Ahm....just wake me whenever."

obliged_salmon
2008-11-17, 04:23 PM
Dafydd

"I'll do third watch, anyways. I wonder if there are any free elven lands left? I mislike finding these invaders on every leg of our journey."

Truwar
2008-11-17, 07:36 PM
Butch

Butch guffaws at Kaz and Dagg’s description of the finer parts of woodland survival. Heh, I always figured you rugged outdoorsy types was runnin’ some kind o’ scam. As far as watches, you ken wake we whenever ya want too. I ken see jist fine in the dark, so night’ll probably be the best. With that he puts his newly learned “woodland skills” to work and sets about finding comfortable spots for him and Vanwa to sleep through the night.

amanodel
2008-11-18, 02:11 AM
Dagg, Kaz, Dafydd, Butch and Karos take the watches. The night is cold, but not chilling to the bone, and there's no rain tonight, making your sleep somewhat comfortable.

Other than a couple of squirrels, nothing disturbed your rest, so in the morning, when Karos wakes you up, you feel rested.

Butch found a good-looking place for himself, but as it turned out by the morning, it was already inhabited by a couple of ants, who tried their best to make Butch go away. This resulted in Butch scratching himself a lot after waking up.

From a clear place, Ozz could spot a dark green line in the horizon to the north-west, where the forest of the elves begin, and estimates that it could be no more than a day's journey.

bchilders
2008-11-19, 06:20 AM
Karos

Karos rises early and spends most of his watch in prayer and meditation. When the others start to wake he greets them all with a cheerful good morning and says, "Looks like we are all nearing these elves you have been looking for from the beginning. You guys picked up quite a few strays along the way, me included, so I hope the elves don't mind."

Yawielas
2008-11-19, 11:18 AM
Vanwa had slept fitfully, occasionally opening her eyes to check on her surroundings. Apparently, she was a light sleeper as well. In the morning, she wakes at first light, and rubs her eyes with the back of her hands. "Elves? Are they close by?" The excitement in her voice is almost child like.

Dethcom1
2008-11-19, 02:58 PM
Dagg

Dagg groans sleepily as he wakes. He shakes his head rapidly to clear it before noticing that the group is in no danger. "We lost a lot of people on this trip. Eammon. Cannol. I won't say Lorrick, because I'm almost certain he just went back to that damned town. If we go back he'll probably have set himself up as mayor, likely as not." He interrupts his monologue to answer Vanwa. "They'll be in spitting distance by nightfall, don't you doubt."

Aargh. I wasn't looking forward to this. Now we have to live with the elves. Damned freaky looking things. Just look at them! All thin and wavery! Unnatural, I tell you.

Truwar
2008-11-19, 05:25 PM
One, large, angry bloodshot eye snaps open at Karos' cheerful good morning but all anger seems to drain out of it at the sound excited sound of Vanwa's voice. Grumbling a bit about "the joys o' sharin' a bed with bugs" Butch sits up and immediately sets to lighting up one of his spicey smelling cigars.

Whelp, which way do we take areselfs ta from here?

amanodel
2008-11-23, 10:58 AM
Ozzgar answered to Wanva as well, to help her understand Dagg's expression.

There's where their forest begins, but I ain't soore where is their town exactly are.

With that said, the goblin ranger starts out, leading the way.

The next couple of hours are spent travelling in silence, until you hear a horse quickly closing on you. When it gets closer, you notice that the rider is a human soldier of the Burubu, and Butch can tell that he's probably a lone sentry, or messenger.

Quxelopqr
2008-11-23, 11:28 AM
Kaz

Oh, great. What's this guy about? Kaz turns around to see the man on the horse coming closer to them. He puts his left hand on his kukri but doesn't draw it yet.

Yawielas
2008-11-23, 11:47 AM
Vanwa steps in behind Butch to hide from sight, seeming to grow even smaller than she was.

Dethcom1
2008-11-23, 02:54 PM
Dagg

Dagg looks over the messenger and his horse, trying to spot any valuables or obvious money bags. Should none be evident, he'll step to the side of the road as the soldier nears.

Is the soldier coming from behind or ahead?

[roll0]

amanodel
2008-11-24, 09:23 AM
The soldier is a bit surpised when he finds that many of you are obviously armed, but he seems confident. He eyes Butch for a moment o two, he obviously have never seen a bugbear before. But these damned ney lands are so crazy, with even goblins and gnomes living here, who knows what else can appear around here?

Travellers! By the will of the Emperor, have you seen a rather small elf lately? She is very thin, has blonde hair, and amber eyes. - he pulls a leather coin purse from his belt, and shows you a gold piece, and offers gold for any information about a certain small elf.

Vanwa is behind a tree, and the officer certainly didn't spot her.

Truwar
2008-11-24, 10:26 AM
Butch seems to consider for a moment, eyeing the soldier's gold coin. I might've somone along them lines... It was a while back n' me memory aint as good as it used ta be. Probably take more'n one gold coin ta help me remember.

obliged_salmon
2008-11-24, 10:19 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd looks skeptically at the bugbear, then turns to the rider. "Sir, I am afraid that there is nothing I can do to help you and YOUR emperor. Least of all deliver one of my kindred to what dismal fate might come at your hands. You'd best be on your way."

and a diplomacy roll to try and make this work smoothly
[roll0]

bchilders
2008-11-25, 08:57 AM
Karos

Karos moves up to wordlessly add his support to his elven friend and directs an edged smile at the mounted messenger.

amanodel
2008-11-25, 03:29 PM
The army officer lets Dafydd's words pass him by, altough he almost slaps Butch for asking payment before sharing what he's got. But upon a quick glance qt the bugbear's massive form, he decides it wouldn't be a wise idea. Instead, he tosses a gold piece at the ground, in front of Butch, and showing another, he asks: So, what do you know, again? - he seems pissed of, but he tries to keep calm.

Truwar
2008-11-25, 05:05 PM
With feigned greediness and a cautious look at the others, Butch snatches up the coin. Well, now, I mighta overheard a bit o' a conversation a young lady fittin' yer description was havin' with a feller in a tavern back in Fauxhalle. Seems she was tryin’ ta buy herself a horse, on accounta wantin’ ta travel quick-like ta Clashton.

What caught me attention was that she didn’t look like the type that had enough spare change layin’ around ta get transportation o’ the four legged variety, on accounta her bein’ a bit raggedy lookin’. She seemed ta have sumthin’ the feller she was talkin’ to wanted though and he agreed ta getting’ her a mount. Heck, he even gave her some tips fer getting’ ta Clashton safely. She must o’ paid ‘im pretty good ta get that kind o’ cooperation…

This was yesterday afternoon, so I’m guessin’ she aint to far on her way ta the Lowlands yet. Butch seems to consider for a moment, rubbing his chin in thought. Course, she was sayin’ she wanted a fast horse and with her lookin’ like she weighed about half as much as a handful o’ goose feathers, maybe she’s pretty far along her way already…

Bluff Check: [roll0]

amanodel
2008-11-27, 05:50 PM
The officer seems to buy Butch's tale.

"The Empire thanks you." - he says almost officially, and drops another gold coin on the ground before leaving hastly. A few seconds later he's gone, and only the slowly settling dust remains after him. And the gold coin in the dirt.

Yawielas
2008-11-27, 06:22 PM
Vanwa steps carefully into sight again, looking at the small cloud of dust rising from where the Burubi messenger is riding. "I guess they're really touchy about their mithril..."

obliged_salmon
2008-11-28, 05:04 PM
Dafydd

"Are you sure that there is nothing else these people are after? They're certainly going to a lot of trouble over you, Vanwa."

Yawielas
2008-11-28, 05:13 PM
Vanwa shrugs a little. "Maybe they want to set an example for the other slaves..."

Dethcom1
2008-12-01, 09:05 AM
Dagg

Dagg looks at the gold coin in distaste. "You know, if we'd just beat him to a pulp, we could all be quite a bit richer."

Truwar
2008-12-02, 12:45 PM
Butch

Butch chuckles and agiley flips the two gold coins to Vanwa. Yeah, I guess we coulda split his skull, but I figured it was best ta send that knuckle-bucket on 'is way, the other direction. If they got this many folks, spreadin' that kind o' money around, killin' that chump may've brought us whole lottta attention we wouldn't be wantin'.

Yawielas
2008-12-02, 01:44 PM
Vanwa catches the gold coins, nodding a little. "Yeah...better not leave a trail of dead messengers. Thanks, Butch, that was nicely done." She smiles.

obliged_salmon
2008-12-02, 03:15 PM
Dafydd

"Well, I suppose that was the best tactic after all. Nicely handled, friend. I certainly can't begrudge a little dishonesty in order to avoid bloodshed and trouble for us." Dafydd rubs his chin thoughtfully.

bchilders
2008-12-03, 05:03 AM
Karos

Karos smiles widely and laughs as he says, "It probably better we don't leave a dead body on the doorstep of those we are about to ask for help, even if it is a dead Burubu body."

Quxelopqr
2008-12-04, 12:21 AM
Kaz

"Right then. Good job Butch. Let's get going."

amanodel
2008-12-04, 01:55 PM
After the officer leaves, you get going towards elf forest once again. The day passes uneventfully, and reach the dark, misterious forest by nightfall. You passed by abandoned farmlands and mills in the countryside.

A gentle wind blows, and since there are no clouds in the sky, you suspect this night to be rather cold.

Truwar
2008-12-04, 06:32 PM
Butch eyes the surrounding countryside as the cold evening begins to set in. Whelp, I don't about you fellers, but I think we should shack-up in one o' them abandoned buildings fer the night. Sleepin' under the stars 'll probabaly leave us with a serious case o' frozen backside.

Quxelopqr
2008-12-08, 03:09 PM
Kaz

Kaz looks around at some of the buildings. "I'm with Butch here. It'll be a cold one for sure tonight. Here's hoping there's no ghouls this time right?"

Dethcom1
2008-12-09, 12:06 AM
Dagg

"Or kidnapping demons. Or wrathful priests. Or roving gangs of lumberjacks spoiling for a fight." Dagg thinks for a moment. "You know, our little group has had very little luck with buildings. We might be safer taking our chances with the weather."

Nevertheless, he follows the rest when they head into the structures.

bchilders
2008-12-09, 02:47 AM
Karos

As Dagg complains Karos can't help but laugh, "Now I would love to hear of these roving bands of lumberjacks and how they make it to a list with priests and demons."

Yawielas
2008-12-28, 02:58 PM
Vanwa enters the house, looking around curiously. She stays close to Butch, but examines everything carefully.

amanodel
2008-12-30, 11:19 AM
GM announcement:

It's holidays and stuff, so we will return to the game after christmas and new year's eve are done.

amanodel
2009-01-06, 06:33 PM
You enter an abandoned windmill. It's neglected, but it's stable, and no undead seems to lurk around the place. You are able to close the sturdy wooden door, and barricade it from the inside, so you are safe from the wind and the wild animals of the night.

Vanwa finds a couple of tools, including a long, sharp knife. In a table, she finds some bread, but the mice found it long before her.

If you want to, you can make a small fire without risking of setting the windmill on fire.

Dethcom1
2009-01-07, 02:21 AM
Dagg

Dagg sees to the fire, quietly bemoaning the lack of bear meat to cook. When it is blazing, he sets down his blanket, and quietly roasts some of the nuts in his rations.

"So... anyone want to hear the story of my fight with a wolf, and how I got these?" He points to the three massive scars over his face.

Quxelopqr
2009-01-07, 05:12 PM
Kaz

Kaz wraps himself in his bedroll near to the fire and snacks on a ration. "Sounds like a good story Dagg. Must have been one hell of a wolf."

Yawielas
2009-01-07, 07:09 PM
Vanwa sits down quietly by the fire, smiling a little embarrassed as Dagg motions to his scars. "Yes, tell us. I've never seen a wolf...are they very big?"

bchilders
2009-01-08, 07:33 AM
Karos

Eager to hear another of the dwarf's tales gets his bedroll situated and listens intently as he companion begins his story.

Truwar
2009-01-08, 01:54 PM
Butch

Butch finds a comfortable spot and makes himself at home, lighting up a new cigar and waiting to hear Dagg's story. As a spinner of tall tales, himself, Butch was eager to hear what the dwarf had to tell.

Dethcom1
2009-01-10, 10:02 AM
Dagg

Dagg settles in with his back to the fire, facing the rest of the group. He strokes his beard thoughtfully as he thinks over the story, casting his mind back to that day.

Let’s see, it was summer, but that’s no fun. A good fight should be set in winter. That was when all of the Elders' stories began.

He begins speaking in a passionate tone, making grand gestures to accompany the action. "Well, it was about three months after I left the clan to seek my fortune. It was a hard winter, three years ago. I came upon a town buried under four feet of snow. Hadn’t been in many a fight until then, just a few scuffles with bandits who thought me easy pickings. I learned, once I shoveled a few people out from under the snow, that there was a wolf, terrorizing the town, eating the livestock and even a few of the townfolk who’d wandered too far. No one was there to protect them – most of the men had left to fight in some feud or some such, and the women weren’t the fighting type. So I lent them my ax. They told me he was a frightening beast, that they could hear his howling - like a demon it was! – every night. They pointed me to the north, towards the hills and forest, and it was there I trekked. Took me six hours to find its lair, with the weather getting worse. Couldn’t see more than a foot past my own nose, not even counting the trees and gullies everywhere. I found the tracks, massive as they were and followed them for another mile or so. There he was, like he was waiting for me.

Six feet from paw to shoulder! A jaw bigger than my head and claws longer than my hand! Pure white, with a bloody muzzle and eyes that screamed of madness. He howled at me, looked me right in the eyes, and it felt like he could see straight into my soul. Froze my blood, let me tell you, more than it already was.

He was the faster. Leaped, what, thirty feet from a standing start, slammed me right in the chest. We went flying, and I barely managed to keep hold of my axes. He was scratching me and biting all over – later on, when I inspected my armor, I found lines of holes in the torso, punched straight through, as though with a pick, probably when he held me in his jaw and shook me like a ragdoll. I was barely able to keep my feet, much less fight back, so I ran. We tussled a bit every time he caught up, but I always got away. Until I fell into a snowdrift. He couldn’t see me, he couldn’t smell me, so I waited a bit. He must’ve thought me finished, and can’t’ve been hungry, because he wandered off. I dug out a little hole and saw him move away – the snowstorm was beginning to slow down – and charged into him. I got two good hits – I think I broke one of his legs – and he just yelped and ran. I followed, of course, I wasn’t done quite yet, and as he tried to cross a frozen stream, I hit him again. I didn't think it would be much of a fight from there, but I had him cornered, and he wasn’t going to go down easy. He pinned me to the ground and just went berserk. I have more scars from that thirty seconds than the entire rest of the fight combined. He took my eye, most of my chest – he had gotten a paw under my armor, somehow, or maybe just ripped off a part – and it was all I could do to stop him from literally ripping my throat out. I was straining with both hands to keep those jaws away from me, and I think, for a few seconds anyway, that the smell knocked me out. But I threw him off. Before he could get back up, I rushed him, put both hands on his head, and snapped his neck.

I crawled to a hollow – the storm was picking up where it left off – and slept. As near as I recall, the fight took about two hours all told, including all the chasing after each other. I slept for an entire day straight, ate what was left of my rations, cleaned my wounds as best I could, and slept some more. By the time I returned to the village, they had assumed me and the wolf had killed each other, and were hosting a hero’s funeral."

He pauses, and laughs deeply.

"I livened it up a fair bit, let me tell you. They gave me what they could - some food, some feed, some copper, and attended to my wounds as best they could. Not too profitable a venture, but satisfying. I almost got a white fur coat from the wolf, too as a memento, but I couldn't find the damn thing. It must have been buried under ten feet of snow and I could not for the life of me remember where the fight took place. But I got them to promise me that should they ever find it, they'd make me a cloak, in case I return."

There. Suitably epic, a little embellished, but close enough to the truth. A shame about the vultures though. That would have been a nice cloak.

amanodel
2009-01-19, 05:34 PM
Dagg's story finally makes you all sleepy, as a weird lullaby song with wolves and blood and gore.

The night passas quickly without any disturbances, and given that there waere a roof above your head you slept were well.

The morning greets you with a gentle rain, but it is over as soon as you start going. The forest is very close by now, and those are the territories of the elves, where others rarely find themselves comfortable.

Yawielas
2009-01-20, 02:02 AM
Vanwa gets more and more excited the closer they get to the woods. "I wonder if I've still got any family there...But how will I find them?" She mutters to herself, occasionally running to the head of the party, then falling back again.

bchilders
2009-01-20, 08:45 AM
Karos

Karos smiles down at his newest companion thinking for something reassuring to say but drawing a blank. Talk of family always leaves him thinking back to the loss of his own and what brought him to the church of St. Cuthbert in the first place.

Quxelopqr
2009-01-20, 11:37 AM
Kaz

Kaz walks in his normal spot in the line, keeping a decent pace. He plays with the ring in his pocket, thinking back to when the trip started. Feels like such a long time ago. I hope we're getting close.

Truwar
2009-01-20, 04:03 PM
Butch

Having lived most of his life as the slave/bodyguard of a merchant, Butch is not terribly comfortable with the dense foliage of the elven forest. Normally able to keep on an eye on his surroundings with relative ease, the plethora of potential ambush spots in the heavy undergrowth has the bugbear constantly on edge, his head swiveling back and forth in an attempt to be ready for any attacks.

Dethcom1
2009-01-20, 06:34 PM
Dagg

As the group nears the forest, Dagg seems to lag further and further back. He seems unwilling to enter the forest, and draws his axes before hurrying to catch up. He still seems nervous, especially when they enter the forest proper.

"So, uhh... what can we expect from these elves? Any strange customs? Are they going to be offended by our... state?" He glances meaningfully at the bloodcovered clothes most of us are wearing, not to mention the skin.

obliged_salmon
2009-01-21, 07:15 AM
Dafydd

"This forest is a magical place. I wouldn't be all that surprised if we DID run into your family, Yaweilas. As for what kind of reception we'll have? It's hard to say. It's been a long time since I've been here last. Hopefully, we'll run afoul of kindhearted folk first, eh?"

Dafydd seems a bit more upbeat in the forest, though he also completely lacks any real knowledge of the geography.

amanodel
2009-01-27, 04:14 PM
Sorry folks! Everytime I got to post, there is server downtime :/

Despite your expectations, you didn't encounter anyone in the forest until noon. Altough you maybe were frustrated by the alamringly huge numer of owls you were hearing constantly during the day.

The forest is thick, and due to the huge trees, barely any daylight reaches the underground, making it difficult to navigate.

Knowledge local DC15, or arcana, nature DC20 for further information about owls.

Quxelopqr
2009-01-29, 01:01 PM
Kaz

Kaz shakes his head as they walk. Aren't owls more active at night? I don't think I've ever heard this many during the day.
knowledge local:[roll0]

Dethcom1
2009-02-01, 10:53 AM
Dagg

At first, Dagg looks at the gathering owls with alarm, afraid of... who can say? Were-owls? Demon owls? Who knows the eldritch enchantments the elves have wrought to guard this place.

Eventually, though, his stomach gets the better of him. "Hey Kaz, mind shooting us down some lunch? I hear owl meat is very tender."

Truwar
2009-02-04, 10:48 AM
Butch takes his cigar from his mouth and considers for a moment, mining his vast knowledge of the outdoors in response to Dagg’s suggestion of “Owl Flambé”. Don’t owls eat err… meat or sumthin’? Last I checked, eatin’ an animal that lives off o' other animals is jist about as tastey as havin’ sewer rats fer supper.

Dethcom1
2009-02-05, 12:34 PM
Dagg

Dagg thinks about that for a moment. "Y'know, the guy who told me may have been taking the piss, but I doubt they taste like sewer rats. Those rats have a nasty aftertaste, and they'll usually give you the runs." He says nothing more.

amanodel
2009-02-05, 06:02 PM
Sorry guys! I always have timeout error when I try to post. It starts to get annoying.

Kaz remembers an odd bit of folklore. It says that every humanoid race in Nabarria has a special bird linked to it, a totem-bird, which is a characteristic familiar of wizards of that race. Owls are connected with elves, eagles with humans, ravens with dwarves, sparrows with gnomes and magpies with goblins.

According to this, the large number of owls can easily indicate that you are currently under elf surveillance.

Quxelopqr
2009-02-05, 08:27 PM
Kaz

Kaz stops for a moment as he remembers the totemic nature of owls.

"Guys, eating these may be a very bad idea. Anyone else remember that bit about the totem birds of Nabarria? Every race has one, humans have eagles, dwarves have ravens...and elves have owls. I think they're watching us right now. Didn't Eammon have an owl familiar? I can't remember.

He shakes his head, then shrugs and says "At least we know we're on the right track."

obliged_salmon
2009-02-05, 09:29 PM
Dafydd

"I couldn't imagine eating an owl. They just look...unappetizing to me. Oh, yes, I should certainly think we're being watched. You can't just 'saunter into the elf forest', you know?" He chuckles. "Fortunately, we've got a very good reason to be here."

Dethcom1
2009-02-06, 12:43 AM
Dagg

Dagg looks oddly at the owls, as if daring them to report him to their masters, before stepping forward and calling to the shrubbery, "Oi, elves! We come with a message for your Queen! You're safe now that we're here!" He winks to his companions, and says more quietly, "Always good to make them feel at ease." He continues, loudly, "We won't lay a blessed hand on you, we just want to talk." He dramatically flourishes, then drops his axes to the ground and steps smartly away.

bchilders
2009-02-06, 02:11 AM
Karos

Karos tries his hardest to contain his laughter, with a moderate amount of success, but decides to see if there will be an response to Dagg's diplomatic entreaty to owls. He figures the worse it could do is the the elves a fair chuckle themselves, if they are even watching.

amanodel
2009-02-11, 12:35 PM
If the elves were actively watching you, they give no sign of it. The owls still sit on the trees, and looking around blankly, stopping only for a second to look at the drama dwarf.

Yawielas
2009-02-11, 05:42 PM
Vanwa looks up into the trees with awe, twirling slowl to catch a glimpse of the sky, her head arched back. Then she turns to the others. "I thought owls only came out at night? That's when we used to hear them."

Dethcom1
2009-02-17, 12:22 PM
Dagg

Dagg looks at the undergrowth for a while, waiting for elves to show up. When they fail to do so, he simply turns around and points at Butch. "You must've scared them off. Try to look less..." He struggles for a word here, gesticulating vaguely in the air, but finally settles on "... hungry."

With that, he picks up his axes and marches towards the back of the formation.

amanodel
2009-02-19, 07:53 PM
Awfully sorry, server troubles keep getting worse, it's half past two in the morning here, and I finally access the boards. :smallsigh:


With the owls giving you no information about their intents (if they even have any), the group continues it's way in the thick forest. Despite the constant howling (? what do you call the noise owls make in English? Howling sounds more appropriate for wolves.) of the owls, you don't encounter a living person, and only spot some wild game in the distance.

However, after a couple hours later, you encounter a very strange tree in a middle of a small clearing. The tree resembles some kind of oak tree, but it's gigantic. You get dizzled if you even try to look up to the top of it, and you estimate the width of the trunk to be at least six meters! None of you have seen such a large tree before.

Quxelopqr
2009-02-19, 11:53 PM
((The sound owls make is hooting in english))

Kaz

Kaz looks up the tree and sways a bit, then looks back down to catch his balance. "That's...um...a very big tree. You think it has to do with the elves?"

bchilders
2009-02-20, 04:38 AM
Karos

"From the little I know, elves and their trees are like a dwarf and his stone. They always not far from hand," Karos says lightheartedly but keeps his eyes peeled trying to look for an elven presence around him.

Spot:[roll0]

Truwar
2009-02-20, 06:13 PM
Butch

Used to the urban life and completely out of his element in this primeval forest Butch stares bemused at the massive oak, his cigar hanging unnoticed (for once) in the corner of his mouth as he responds distractedly to Karos. Huh, you dwarves must like yerselfs some big ol’ rocks…

Dethcom1
2009-02-21, 05:47 AM
Dagg

Dagg stands bemused at the conceptions of dwarves that Karos has. "Some of us prefer steel, actually. What is it that humans like, sheep?"

Quxelopqr
2009-02-28, 11:14 PM
Kaz

Kaz laughs at Dagg's comment. "I bet some of us like sheep, but the fun part about humans is that everyone likes something different. I, for example, prefer a nice nap to sheep."

amanodel
2009-03-01, 02:47 PM
You don't notice anything that could pose a threat to you, the forest remains quiet. Soon, you discover a narrow twisting passageway starting from the giant tree, into the forest. The tiny road leads into your desired direction, as you estimate it.

Yawielas
2009-03-04, 03:55 PM
(I'll be away from Thursday to Sunday without internet access. If necessary, please npc Vanwa.)

Vanwa walks down the narrow path, looking awed by the huge trees. "Where is everybody?" she whispers.

Dethcom1
2009-03-05, 02:27 AM
Dagg

Dagg walks up to the giant tree and sees if he can spot anyone at the top. "My guess is that this is some kind of watchtower, so if they didn't know we were here, they do now." He looks thoughtfully at the tree for a moment more. "Dafydd, do you know any native elf greetings? It might help us get to our reward faster if we look like elves."

Quxelopqr
2009-03-07, 01:52 PM
Kaz

Kaz looks down the path, then says "We may as well go down the path then right? No sense just waiting here." He starts down the path tentatively, looking around himself to make sure no arrows are coming out of trees at him.

amanodel
2009-03-07, 02:16 PM
No need fer greetings! - you here Ozzgars word. You see your goblin comrade pointing up at the top of the tree. Soon you notice what he was seeing. Two humanoid skeleons are at the top of the giant tree, altough from down here, you can't make out more details.

Really sorry, I had bad luck with internet acces recently.

obliged_salmon
2009-03-08, 01:37 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd smiles at Dagg's question. "Aside from 'hello, please don't kill my companions,' I can't think of anything appropriate." As he sees the skeletons, he remarks "That doesn't bode well...."

bchilders
2009-03-08, 03:08 PM
Karos

Karos laughs at his elven companion, "Well I know I'd appreciate the part about not killing the rest of us." When he notices the skeletons himself he thinks, Let's just hope that is a warning aimed at someone else.

Truwar
2009-03-09, 10:14 AM
Butch

Already on edge in the foreign environment, Butch bites clean through his cigar when he sees the skeletons in the tree. With surprising speed the bugbear snatches the tumbling cigar out of the air before it gets to the ground and takes a deep drag from it. Whelp, I hope that aint an example o’ the elves around here bein’ neighborly. He quietly rumbles as he exhales a cloud of spicy-smelling blue smoke.

Yawielas
2009-03-09, 11:19 AM
Vanwa looks solemnly up into the tree, then shudders a little. "We haven't seen any elves....what if they're all dead?"

Dethcom1
2009-03-09, 03:34 PM
Dagg

Dagg looks inquisitively at the tree, his mind racing. Without a word, he begins climbing it, trying to get a closer look at the skeletons, to see if they are invaders or natives.

Taking 10 on a Climb check, so 16. If necessary, Dagg will use his climber's kit, and even take his armor off, for a total bonus of 21.

amanodel
2009-03-10, 01:29 PM
Dagg, with his natural dwarven grace, begins to climb up the tree. It's a bizarre show, but actually, he does it good enough. Ozzgar puts away his bow, and races after Dagg. (If someone wants to, and is not wearing too haevay armor, can climb after them.)

Soon, Dagg reaches the top of the tree, wich is surprisingly flat, as if it was a living watchtower of the elves. The thick branches are completely grown together at the top, and are completely safe to walk on. The two skeletons were wearing armour of elvish design, but the armours are now completely useless. Dagg can tell by the form of the skulls, that they were indeed elves. The skeleton is disfigured, as if they were killed by some kind of destructive magic.

There is also an empty altar in the top of the tree, which seemingly was made to hold something as the size and form of a Scrying Ball.

Dethcom1
2009-03-13, 08:13 AM
Dagg

After a cursory search through the pockets of the corpses and the altar, Dagg climbs back down. "They might be happier to see us than we thought. Looks like they're already under attack. This was a watchtower, but it was raided. We should probably hurry to the capital. Any idea how far we are?" His tone is oddly businesslike, no longer hinting at his jovial nature.

Quxelopqr
2009-03-13, 10:40 AM
Kaz

Noting Dagg's sudden change in expression, Kaz points down the path. "I'm not sure how much farther it is, but we can't waste anymore time. Let's go."

bchilders
2009-03-15, 03:03 PM
Karos

At Dagg's assessment of the raided watchtower, Karos' thoughts wonder on what could have caught the elves so unaware in their own forest.

amanodel
2009-03-23, 03:36 PM
Not wasting any more time at the watchtree, you continue your journey into the heart of elf forest.

The forest keeps creeping you out, but nothing extraordinary happens. Vanwa is just as lost in elven lands than the others. Dafydd tries to navigate with the help of Ozzgar, with moderate success. Nevertheless, at the end of the day you feel that you are closer to the destination. You managed to find a large rock with a small cave and even with source of clean water just before nightfall, and Ozzgar ensured you that this is the best that you could find, and you should probably stay there for the night.

(gah! I had almost no internet at the weekend! the horror! :D )

Dethcom1
2009-03-23, 04:56 PM
Dagg

Dagg refills his waterskins and lays down his bedroll quickly. "Probably better not to start a fire. Don't know how far the people who attacked the watchtower are." After a moment, he adds, "I'll take first watch." He keeps his axes drawn and takes the opportunity to feel out any rust and sharpen them with his whetstone.

Quxelopqr
2009-03-28, 09:11 PM
Kaz

Kaz keeps his kukri next to him as he lays on his bedroll. "My eyes are no good without light to see by. I'll turn in for now, an early start might be a good idea."

Truwar
2009-03-30, 03:24 PM
Butch

Chomping nervously on his conspicuously UN-lit cigar, Butch keeps a wary eye on the close trees around them. I ken watch after Dagg calls it quits fer the night. I ken see in the dark jist fine, so I should be able ta see the trees all o’round us real good.

Am I the only one NOT having GitPG crash on me 9 out of 10 times I try to post?

bchilders
2009-03-31, 01:27 AM
Karos

Karos wakes early in the morning and spends an hour in prayer and meditation. The forest has started to feel oppressive and ominous stifling his normally cheery personality.

amanodel
2009-04-05, 08:45 AM
Gah! My post disappeared. For all the time I believed it was posted! :/


The night was cold and quiet, nothing disturbed your sleep. Aside from the ever-vigilant owls.

After you get up, and continue your path, you shortly find a well-used path, which is almost wide, even by human measures. Elves of the forest don't really need roads and paths, they can travel in the dense forest without hindrance. You continue on that trail for five hours undisturbed.

This path clearly means that you are close to an elven settlement. You get the feeling, agian, that you are being watched.

Spot and listen checks, DC 20.

Quxelopqr
2009-04-05, 12:08 PM
kaz

Kaz keeps alert, scanning the area every so often.

spot: [roll0] listen: [roll1]

Yawielas
2009-04-05, 03:32 PM
Vanwa walks quietly, ears straining to pick up any noise out of the ordinary, amber eyes scanning the treeline thoroughly.

(Could you please roll for me?)

Dethcom1
2009-04-07, 12:39 PM
Dagg

Dagg keeps his axes at hand, still ruminating over the discovery of the watchtree. He appears slightly paranoid now, peering deeply into every shadow and starting at every incongruous sound.

[roll0]
[roll1]

bchilders
2009-04-07, 02:24 PM
Karos

Finally seeing something that looks like a well travelled path, Karos keeps his eyes peeled for elven or worse company.

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

Yawielas
2009-04-08, 04:51 AM
(I'll be away for Easter untill Tuesday, and might not have internet access. )

Truwar
2009-04-08, 10:25 AM
Butch moves out with the rest of the party, one eye relentlessly scanning the dense vegetation around them and the other keeping a close watch on Vanwa as he unconsciously rolls his cigar from one side of his mouth to the other.

Spot: [roll0]

obliged_salmon
2009-04-08, 04:28 PM
Dafydd maintains vigilance as well as he can, but he remains out of sorts in the wilderness, nervously chatting about niceties to whomever will listen.

[roll0]
[roll1]

amanodel
2009-04-10, 12:51 PM
The path is too empty and silent for your liking. But just the time you got too worried, Karos spots a trap; a net lying on the ground, covered with leaves, ready to entangle the one who would step into it.

Dafydd can recall from the time he've spent with the moon elves, that they usually place a trap or two just outside the village, just to be sure nothing surprises them. He also recalls these traps are imbued with magical alarm, but also frequently checked by a patrol.

amanodel
2009-04-19, 05:47 AM
Nine days without a post, this game seems pretty dead. :/ I know it's mostly my foult for not being to update very often. Or rather, to update at all. Anyway, if you say so, we can give this game another chance. I retired from my game, so now I only have to DM here, and I think I can manage to post two times a week without problem. So, what do you say? Let it rest in peace, or cast 'resurrect thread'?

Quxelopqr
2009-04-19, 10:14 AM
I'd be in to keep going. I haven't been able to post this past week due to my professor's tendancies to schedule all tests and projects on the same days.

Yawielas
2009-04-19, 11:19 AM
(I'm in to keep going :) )

Truwar
2009-04-21, 01:32 PM
I am still up for playing. I have to ask though, is it just me or does everyone else get the "Cannot Find Sever" boilerplate every other time they try to enter a post?

amanodel
2009-04-21, 05:14 PM
Truwar, that's my problem as well. I can't try more than two times a day (I'm lacking time recently), and if both attempts result in timeout, I simply can't post that day. :smallmad:

amanodel
2009-04-27, 09:53 AM
The path is too empty and silent for your liking. But just the time you got too worried, Karos spots a trap; a net lying on the ground, covered with leaves, ready to entangle the one who would step into it.

Dafydd can recall from the time he've spent with the moon elves, that they usually place a trap or two just outside the village, just to be sure nothing surprises them. He also recalls these traps are imbued with magical alarm, but also frequently checked by a patrol.

But before you could do anything, you notice the elf patrol appearing just behind you, with their bows readied. You can see three elves in the patrol.

Halt! - they call out to you in elvish.

amanodel
2009-04-27, 10:00 AM
The path is too empty and silent for your liking. But just the time you got too worried, Karos spots a trap; a net lying on the ground, covered with leaves, ready to entangle the one who would step into it.

Dafydd can recall from the time he've spent with the moon elves, that they usually place a trap or two just outside the village, just to be sure nothing surprises them. He also recalls these traps are imbued with magical alarm, but also frequently checked by a patrol.

But before you could do anything, you notice the elf patrol appearing just behind you, with their bows readied. You can see three elves in the patrol.

Halt! - they call out to you in elvish.

Yawielas
2009-04-27, 10:12 AM
Vanwa jumps, startled, and spins around to see who's there. Seeing the arrows aimed at them, she backs away until she collides with Butch.

bchilders
2009-04-27, 11:35 AM
Karos

After warning the others of the trap, Karos leans down to observe the elven handiwork closer. As he is inspecting the trap he hears the command coming from behind them. Not understanding the language but clearly reading the commanding tone Karos rises slowly but keeps his hand close to his weapon.

obliged_salmon
2009-04-27, 02:25 PM
Dafydd

elvish
"Thank goodness, civilization at last!"

Dafydd bows graciously, despite his rather worn and haggard appearance.

elvish
"We are a delegation from human lands...contractors, actually. War is upon our fair land and we all need to fight together to put everything in its rightful place! Please, allow my companions and I safe passage into these elven territories."

(and a diplomacy roll)
[roll0]

Truwar
2009-04-27, 04:41 PM
Butch

Butch puts a protective hand on Vanwa’s shoulder and tries out an ingratiating smile on the elves, then remembers that bugbear orthodonture does not usually put people at ease and smiles with his mouth closed.

As Dafydd addresses their archers, Butch hopes his companion sounds as smooth to the elves as he does to him. Just in case, Butch watches the patrol closely.

Quxelopqr
2009-04-27, 09:39 PM
Kaz

Kaz lets Dafydd do the talking as he eases his hand away from his kukri. Better not chance anything...hope they treat him like the other elves did.

Dethcom1
2009-04-28, 02:39 AM
Dagg

Dagg curses loudly in Dwarvish as he spins to face the elves. He measures the distance to them, thinks better of it, and slowly lowers his weapons, though they remain firmly in his grip.

He speaks out of the corner of his mouth. "Dafydd, what are they saying? What are you saying?"

amanodel
2009-04-30, 02:41 AM
The elves look at your group, and they seem to be at ease when they hear the familiar accent of a wild elf. They nod at Daffyd's explanation, but they still keep an eye for Butch. And the dwarf isn't helping the situation either.

They look at Vanwa, expecting something to be said by the moon elf. The patrol leader lowered his bow, but the two others are still aiming, not surprisingly, at Butch and Dagg.

The archdruid shall determine that you are allowed to trespass our lands or not. Follow me. - replies the patrol leader in elven. He seems to be aware of the fact that most of you don't speak elven, but elves are known to consider themselves superior to any other race, and be a little arrogant when dealing with them.

Yawielas
2009-04-30, 12:16 PM
Seeing the elves still aiming at Butch, Vanwa stands on her tip toes in front of the bugbear to shield him. Not that she provides much cover...She looks at the leader, pleading in rusty elven:"Please. There's no need to aim at any of us."

amanodel
2009-05-09, 04:16 PM
The patrol leader is surprised when she hears that the only moon elf member of the party is not speaking fluent elven, but doesn't press the matter.

He orders his men to lower their bows, but they are still watching your every move. The patrol escorts you to the elven village.

As typical for the forest-dwelling elves, the smaller villages are built in top of the trees on large platforms, which are mostly created by some elven magic that shapes the trees this way.

They, however, don't lead you to the top, but remain on the ground and go to the middle of the pillar-like trees. The leader of the elven village, the archdruid is sitting there. He's an old elf, with long white hair, wearing a green robe, and holding a delicately crafted wooden staff.

Yawielas
2009-05-10, 04:27 AM
Vanwa stares up into the trees with the large platforms and dwellings with awe. When they reach the center, she bows her head to the arch druid.

obliged_salmon
2009-05-10, 09:41 AM
Dafydd

Dafydd steps forward and bows gracefully. "Greetings, friend of the earth. We would speak with you as emissaries from the east on a matter of utmost importance. Will you hear us?"

Dethcom1
2009-05-10, 12:42 PM
Dagg

Dagg keeps his eyes warily on the weapons in the elves' hands as the group is led to the village. Once he realizes where they are going, though, he puts his own axes away.

Trees? They wouldn't last long under assault. One good attack and this place will be wiped out. He looks critically at the village above, seeking any holes in their defenses, until he sees the druid. He grows fidgety when he realizes what Dafydd is going to talk about.

As soon as Dafydd says his piece, Dagg interrupts. "Your lands are under attack. We found a watchtower, raided."

amanodel
2009-05-10, 01:32 PM
Dagg sees no obvious defense system, altough he realizes that even unskilled archers could take downa lot of man from the above. Still, this place is not a fortress at all, as you can judge from what you see, this is roughly the equivalent of a small human farming village.

The druid looks at you inquisitively.

We've heard about trespassers on our territory and that they have caused us losses already. And we just have found some trespassers. - he explains, still not switching from elven, looking at you. Daffyd can understand well the accusation behind the druids words.

Yawielas
2009-05-10, 02:04 PM
The accusation is not lost on Vanwa either, and the waifish elf girl shakes her head. "We didn't hurt any elves," she says in her accented elven. "Please, I think my mother came from these lands. She was taken by the enemy during the war. She was pregnant with me. I don't know her name. Do you know?"

Quxelopqr
2009-05-10, 07:33 PM
Kaz

Kaz keeps his mouth shut, letting the elves do the talking. He has the regency signet ring on his finger, and plays with it a bit absentmindedly.

bchilders
2009-05-11, 01:14 AM
Karos

Karos, having not been part of the delegation that was sent to the elven lands, only knows little of their purpose for coming here and not understanding any elvish decides it would be best to remain silent during the conversation.

Truwar
2009-05-11, 03:23 PM
Butch

Completely out of his depth, Butch keeps quite and tries to look as non-threatening as possible. As possible as a 6’6”, 320 pound bugbear could manage, at any rate.

obliged_salmon
2009-05-12, 07:21 AM
Dafydd

Dafydd puffs up somewhat indignantly at the accusation of the elder.

elvish
"Sir...em, wise and honorable one...you surely recognize the danger represented by the Burubu invaders. They massacred my people in the south, turning our land into ash and dust. WE are but humble messengers, with but the aim of repelling these foul scourges."
Dafydd stands proud and resolute.

Truwar
2009-05-18, 04:21 PM
Butch

Instinctively, Butch casts a casual-seeming eye around the village, noting a route that would provide him and Vanwa cover from the bow-fire that would surely begin raining down on them, if negotiations broke down.

amanodel
2009-05-18, 05:01 PM
The druid, acting as if he doesn't even listen to what Daffyd says, looking at the strange pair of Vanwa and Butch. The archdruid then pokes the bugbear with his staff. Still not switching from elven, he remarks:

One weird looking orc you have in your company, young Paladin. Does it bite?

But the message is certainly not for me. Follow the path to the West, there. It should take you directly to the High City.

He finally stops poking the already greatly annoyed Butch, and with his druid staff, he points to the nearby wood. The forest seems so dense right there that no man, or even elf could hope to go in there, but at the archdruid's command, the entangling vines and undergrowth make space for you, and reveal a neat little path.

For your own security, don't wander off the path. - this sentence was spoken in well-mannered Common language.

Quxelopqr
2009-05-18, 09:40 PM
Kaz

Kaz allows Dafydd to go first, following behind and staying on the path.

bchilders
2009-05-19, 02:00 AM
Karos

Karos gives a small nod of respect before he heads of with the rest of the group down the newly raclaimed path.

obliged_salmon
2009-05-19, 06:42 PM
Dafydd

"Well friends, it seems we're to keep traveling a little farther, until we get to the elven city. Oh, and the revered one here advises us to keep close to the path."

Dafydd bows respectfully to the druid and heads toward the path, only showing the slightest hint of exasperation in his bearing.

Dethcom1
2009-05-22, 10:54 PM
Dagg

Dagg looks questioningly at the soldiers surrounding the party. "They're not going to do anything about their land being attacked?" He follows the group through the path, directing the inquiry at Dafydd.

amanodel
2009-05-27, 05:21 PM
The dismissal from the archdruid is indeed rather strange, as Dagg pointed out. But in your current situation, it sounds wise to accept.

After stepping to the secret path, you see that the forest "closes the entrance" right behind you. Having any baetter ideas, you continue your journey. The elven secret path is almost unnaturally covered with dense fog, and the constant hooting of the owls are rather unnerving. But at your surprise, the path offers you an easy, quick way, without any obstacles.

Dafydd has heard about such "elvenpaths", but never travelled one himself.

By nightfall, you manage to cover a signifacal distance. However, the monotonous path still won't brake, and you can either rest in the middle of the path, explore the woods for a better sleeping place (the archdruid has definately forbid this option), or you can march on until your stamina gives out.

Quxelopqr
2009-05-28, 12:18 AM
Kaz

Kaz was getting tired, but with the destination this close wanted to press on. "What do you guys think? It's pretty dark now, we can either rest a little or go on. Is this road thing safe?"

Yawielas
2009-05-28, 01:02 AM
Vanwa looks tired, but apparently the long hours in the mine has built stamina. "I say lets go on. It's probably safer."

bchilders
2009-05-28, 02:53 AM
Karos

So close to the destination the had been trying to reach for a long time, Karos agrees to press on for the time being.

Dethcom1
2009-05-28, 04:53 AM
Dagg

"We're close now, let's keep going. If we can't find a place to sleep, well, this path could do with a little space." He raises his axes meaningfully.

Truwar
2009-05-28, 11:00 AM
Butch

Butch looks around cautiously for owls as Dagg hoists his axe, then speaks under his breath to the rest of the party. Meybe we should take it a bit easy on the choppy-talk folks. I’m guessin’ our woodsy pals here aint too fond o’ axes ‘en such.

obliged_salmon
2009-05-28, 02:49 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd trods along indignantly. "Not even some food and a night's rest? 'Oh no, sir, you have to keep marching along on your tired feet long into the night, getting sand, mud and Corellon knows what else congealing in your armor, smelling like a wet goat, and with swarms of nasty ill-begotten insects stinging and biting all the while!'"

Dafydd turns at Dagg's comment. "Good master Dagg, this is an elvenpath. I've never traveled on one, but as I understand, it's very magical and potentially dangerous. If we must stop for the night - a course of action with which I am somewhat amenable to - it would be best to stay directly on the path and not attempt to get at any of the trees nearby. For your own safety, friend." Dafydd sighs deeply and continues marching.

amanodel
2009-05-30, 10:45 AM
You keep on marching through the night. By the time day breaks, even the sturdiest got tired from the marchingm and shivering from the cold forest night.

However, your efforst payed off, and you reached the end of the path.

After a place that looked like a dead end on the road, the trees twisted to give you way, and after you passed, the forest closed behind you. No matter how hard you kept looking, you couldn't find the path you were traelling just mere minutes ago.

As you look aroudn with sore eyes, you gaze upon a small lake nearby.

Quxelopqr
2009-06-03, 10:46 PM
Kaz

Kaz keeps walking forward almost aimlessly from exhaustion. He shakes his head and stops, asking the group "Would you all like to rest by that lake? I know I'm ready for some sleep."

bchilders
2009-06-04, 01:13 AM
Karos

Karos, very tired himself, voices his agreement to resting by the lake although what came out is more of a series of grunts then intelligible words. At least from the look of the others either his point was understood or they are too tired to realize his incoherence.

Yawielas
2009-06-04, 05:30 AM
Vanwa nods. "Yes, rest sounds good." She stumbles tiredly towards the lake.

Truwar
2009-06-04, 04:23 PM
Whoops! Butch reaches down and catches Vanwa mid-stumble gently sweeping her off her feet, easily lifting the slight elf and placing her on one of his broad shoulders. How about ya ease yer feet fer a bit missy. No reason fer both o’ us ta have sore hoofs.

Yawielas
2009-06-05, 01:44 AM
Vanwa smiles a little and hangs on to Butch' neck. "Thank you."

Dethcom1
2009-06-07, 12:36 AM
Dagg

Dagg walks cautiously to the edge of the water, unwilling to show the elves that are presumably watching their journey the extent of his weariness. He drops his pack to the ground, and with clearly forced and mechanical actions removes and lays out his bedroll.

Moments before falling asleep, he says, "This place is probably safe." It comes out as a barely-intelligible mumble.

amanodel
2009-06-09, 01:04 AM
Near the lake, you find an abandoned barn. It does't really have walls, but it has roof there's some dried hay to sleep on it. The roof may come pretty handy, for it became very cloudy, and rain could start to fall almost any moment.

It is about noon, all of you is very tired, and you know it is going to be hell if someone has to take the watch.

bchilders
2009-06-10, 03:23 AM
Karos

Karos offers to take the first watch, even though he knows staying up will prove to be a challenge all in it's own.

Quxelopqr
2009-06-10, 12:34 PM
Kaz

Kaz offers to stay up for the first watch as well, saying "At least we can keep each other up."

Yawielas
2009-06-10, 12:57 PM
Vanwa is only too happy to go to sleep, right there on the ground.

obliged_salmon
2009-06-11, 07:16 AM
Dafydd

"You two are saints. Wake me at any time for relief." Dafydd sloughs off his chafing armor, takes a swig of drinking water and collapses, snoring, in a heap.

Truwar
2009-06-16, 01:12 PM
Butch

Butch sits down next to Vanwa, easing a few of his daggers in their sheaths, in case he wakes up to trouble. After shifting a bit on the hay, he drifts off to sleep, one eye popping open occasionally and scanning their surroundings before slowly shuting again.

amanodel
2009-06-19, 11:12 AM
As you fall into sleep, it begins to rain intensely. The first two cycles of day-watch doesn't bring any excitement, you only hear the monotonous noise of the rain.



OOC:

I need two contitution checks by those on the watch: Karos, Kaz, Daffyd, and Butch. I also need spot checks with -7 modifiers from Daffyd and Butch.

(I know that you have't said that Butch is going to take a watch, but I believe he's tough enough to do so, so let's nopt wait idly when we have a story to move ahead.)

Truwar
2009-06-19, 12:28 PM
Butch

Butch wakes for his shift of watch, idly chomping on an unlit cigar as he scans the darkness surrounding them for trouble.

Con Check 1: [roll0]
Con Check 2: [roll1]
Spot Check at -7: [roll2]

bchilders
2009-06-19, 03:37 PM
Karos

Karos initial optimism over taking the watch quickly diminishes as a full body weariness sets in. The last several days of travel finally catch up to him and it takes all of his focus just to keep his eyes open.

Con1:[roll0]
Con2:[roll1]

Spot:[roll2]

obliged_salmon
2009-06-19, 04:36 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd hums lightly to himself during his watch. The little rest he got cheered him up somewhat.

Con 1: [roll0]
Con 2: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]

Quxelopqr
2009-06-20, 10:40 AM
Kaz

Too tired to actually talk much during the watch, Kaz tries his best to keep his eyes open through the rain.

con1: [roll0] con2: [roll1] spot:[roll2]

amanodel
2009-06-25, 08:33 AM
It seems that you pushed too far, and couldn't keep up with stamina.

Half an hour after you collapsed to sleep, Karos and Kaz also decide that it won't hurt to lay down for a while, and they could keep watching from the much more comfortable position. Soon they're asleep. Altough Kaz suddenly wakes up later, and realizing that he can't keep his eyes open, he wakes up Daffydd. The elf, altough didn't have trouble with keeping himself awake, just stared in front of himself, his disturbed meditation seems to have blocked his mind. The sun allready settled down when he mumbled some incoherent words to Butch and fell asleep. Butch said something about waking up in five minutes, but in fact he was sleeping again in less than a half minutes.

Without anyone keeping watch, you didn't notice in time that two masked humanoids are slowly moving towards the barn. It's a moonless night, and the rain still limits the sight, they might even have gone unnoticed if someone was awake.

Kaz is the first to awake, when he realizes that someone is searching something on his body. He can't see the face of the masked thief, who is equally surprise that Kaz woke up. The strager holds no weapons in his hands, and Kaz's weapon is lying in the scabbard. At least it was, becasue it seems the the precautius thief removed the weapon before Kaz woke up.

(If Kaz shouts, you all wake up automatically, but it's his decision to do so :) )

Quxelopqr
2009-06-25, 12:01 PM
Kaz

Kaz yells "Thief!" and, since he was disarmed, tries to punch the thief. If he gets a change afterwards, Kaz makes sure he is still in possession of the regency's signet ring (which I think is in his pocket).

attack:[roll0] damage:[roll1]

Yawielas
2009-06-25, 12:25 PM
Vanwa startles awake, and looks around wide eyed. She fumbles for her dagger, looking for the thief.

obliged_salmon
2009-06-27, 09:10 AM
Dafydd

"Maybe it's just the wind...Oh!" Dafydd gets up with a start and attempts to brandish his sword against the intruder. "Halt! Explain yourself at once!"

bchilders
2009-06-28, 05:22 PM
Karos

Karos sleepily rolls over and after realizing the commotion is not just a dream moves to reach for his weapon.

Dethcom1
2009-06-29, 02:15 AM
Dagg

Dagg wakes with a start, jumps up, and instantly topples over. He spends a moment getting his various limbs coordinated again, and climbs to his feet more slowly. The entire time, he seems to be cursing in his native tongue, before slipping back into common to voice his suspicions.

"We've been betrayed! We need to escape here before the forest consumes us!" He checks for his weapons, and if he finds neither his battle axes nor his throwing axes, he enters a rage and charges for the nearest intruder.

Truwar
2009-07-02, 11:08 AM
Butch

At Kaz's yell, Butch explodes to his feet, his heavy quarterstaff appearing in his hand as if conjured. Still a bit bleary-eyed he focuses on the thief and moves forward ready to subdue the thief is possible.

amanodel
2009-07-02, 01:46 PM
Kaz punches the thief in the face, thus violently interrupting the attempt at theft. The others are quick to wake up and gather their weapons, and the thif seems to be in a bad position.

Suddenly, you hear a loud yell, miming a jackal's howl. Shortle after, deep darkness covers the whole barn, and even those with extra sensitive eyes or darkvision cannot see at all. Last thinkg you saw was Kaz punching the thief, but in the complete darkness it is hard to remember who was where, exactly.

Quxelopqr
2009-07-03, 12:04 AM
Kaz

Trying to calm his mind in the darkness, Kaz holds the regency's signet ring tightly to keep the message from harm while he kicks at where he believes the thief to be.

attack: [roll0] damage: [roll1]

bchilders
2009-07-03, 04:45 AM
Karos

Waking up just to have everything go dark leaves Karos confused for a second but quickly he decides on a course of action. Karos makes his way to the door of the barn trying to move out of the conjured darkness. He moves with his arms wide hoping to catch the theif on his way out.

Yawielas
2009-07-03, 06:47 AM
Well used to the dark, but not this pitch blackness, Vanwa crouches on the floor, dagger at the ready in case anyone attacks her.

Truwar
2009-07-07, 12:56 PM
Butch

Butch carefully reaches out to Vanwa, his hand coming slow and open palmed, as he knows she has a knife and he also knows what he might do if a strange hand grabbed him in the darkness.

Yawielas
2009-07-07, 01:28 PM
Feeling a hand reach for her, Vanwa's first instinct is to slash it with her knife, but she holds back for a moment, whispering:"Who's that?"

Dethcom1
2009-07-08, 09:27 AM
Dagg

"Everyone get outside! Block the exits!" Dagg sets off, slowly feeling his way through the building, trying to find where he came in. Was there more than one obvious entrance? He keeps his axes in front of him, ready to lash out at any attacker.

amanodel
2009-07-08, 02:21 PM
The intruder gets away from Kaz quickly, and you suspect that he heads to the door. Karos swings wildly, desperately trying to find the thief in the complete darkness. After almost breaking his hand by accidentally hitting a wooden column, he manages to get into the way of the thief, and manages to grab him. However, the thief is more used to these conditions, and manages to escape from Karos' grip, and flee.

By the time you get out of the barn, you see the two shadows running away with great speed towards the forest.

Whan Kaz checks his belongings, he's happy to find out that nothing is missing.

In Karos' hand, there is the cloak of the thief, who got rid of it in order to escape the cleric's grip.

Dethcom1
2009-07-09, 04:26 AM
Dagg

Dagg looks at the escaping figures angrily, and begins to run after them. This insult to his honor will not stand! He crosses 120 feet in 6 seconds - his natural swiftness finally coming in to play without his armor or equipment weighing him down. He wonders, though, if he can catch them - and if he can survive if he does.

bchilders
2009-07-09, 05:21 AM
Karos

Seeing his dwarven friend take off after the thieves, Karos joins the pursuit.

Quxelopqr
2009-07-09, 11:48 AM
Kaz

Immediate relief springs on Kaz when he realizes nothing is missing. Seeing Dagg and Karos run off after the thieves, Kaz also gives chase.

Yawielas
2009-07-09, 01:40 PM
I'l be away this weekend, but might be able to post. Next Friday (17th of July) I'm going on vacation for a week, and probably won't be able to post. Please NPC my character if necessary.

Vanwa come out of the barn and checks to see if she's missing anything, and if there's still a threat. Seeing the thieves flee, and three of her companions giving chase, she looks to Butch. "Should we give chase to? I don't even know if they took anything."

obliged_salmon
2009-07-09, 08:23 PM
Dafydd

"Come back and explain yourselves, villains!" Dafydd shouts as he stumbles out of the building.

Truwar
2009-07-13, 10:01 AM
Butch

I'd siggest agenst followin' a pack o' theives inta the dark... Seems like a recipe fer a good stabbin'.

amanodel
2009-07-14, 07:47 AM
Dagg darts out after the thieves. Butch and Daffyd do wonder how those small dwarven legs manage to speed up him so fast; Karos and Kaz have troubles with keeping up with him. However, the thieves most likely have magical support, they are just unnaturally fast, and even Dagg couldn't get to them before they reached the forest, and disappeared.

Soon Vanwa notices that the magical darkness around the barn is fading, and soon, it is gone.

Quxelopqr
2009-07-14, 12:23 PM
Kaz

Winded from the sprint and noticing that he is not going to catch the thieves, Kaz stops to catch his breath. He returns to the barn, checks to see if anything he has is missing, and then lays down to go back to sleep. [COLOR="Red"]"We probably should have someone keep watch now. I'll do it if everyone else needs to sleep."[/] With a small sigh, Kaz hopes that someone else offers to keep watch.

amanodel
2009-07-14, 07:41 PM
Since you have slept for a while, there's no need for a forced watch from now on. Buthch, or anyone else who's taking watch, with only a little help to keep awake!

bchilders
2009-07-14, 08:50 PM
Karos

With his blood still running high after the run through the woods, Karos offers to take the first watch. He spends most of it in meditation and prayer knowing that they will probably need to hurry off in the morning.

Dethcom1
2009-07-21, 11:22 AM
Dagg

Dagg roars in anger as the thieves make their escape. He stands at the edge of the treeline for a moment, panting, then with one swift movement raises his ax igh and plants it solidly into the nearest tree. He stares at it a while, before saying hoarsely, "I'll stay awake as well... just in case."

Truwar
2009-07-21, 03:02 PM
Butch

Butch stares perplexidly at the fleeing rogues. What the heck did the little band he and Vanwa had joined have that was so valuable that magically enhanced thieves would attempt to steal it? Shrugging, he decides to find out.

What the heck were them boys after? I know Vanwa ‘en I aint got nuthin’ but her little pile o’ ore, n’ I don’t think that’s what them bushwackers were a pokin’ about for…

amanodel
2009-07-30, 04:42 PM
The rest of the night passes peacefully, the thieves did not dare to return. At least for now.

The morning greets you with a gentle chill, and the nearby lake also offers the rare opportunity to make a bath, if you'd like to have one.

obliged_salmon
2009-07-31, 05:16 PM
Dafydd recruits anyone else interested in a bath to take shifts watching each others' things, and sidles somewhere out of Vanwa's line of sight before stripping, so as to avoid any umseemly interactions. He then washes his clothes as well as he can and wears them, soggily, around camp during breakfast.

"Miss Vanwa, I am sure some of us can post a perimeter guard should you wish to bathe, which would adequately protect you and allow you your modesty, if you so wish."

Yawielas
2009-08-01, 01:28 AM
Vanwa looks from Daffydd to the river. "A bath? I guess I should...Does anyone have anything soaplike?"

Truwar
2009-08-03, 11:29 AM
Butch

Butch reaches into his pack and pulls out a large brick of soap. With a dagger that seems to appear in his hand by magic he carves a chunk out of the brick and tosses it to Vanwa. Here ya go missy. Make sure ta clean between yer toes, don’t want ta get yerself a case o’ trenchfoot.

He then proceeds to strip out of his shirt, revealing a broad and muscular chest that is actually not as hairy as one might expect, although the long, red scars across his powerful back might surprise some. Whistling a tune, Butch cuts himself a chunk of soap, tosses a towel across one shoulder and heads for the lake.

Quxelopqr
2009-08-03, 11:48 AM
Kaz

Noticing how dirty he is, Kaz also decides to wash up a bit. He refrains from washing his armor, remembering how wet leather stinks. Afterwards he munches on a small ration.

"Hey Ozz, does it look like we're close yet?"

amanodel
2009-08-03, 02:10 PM
Aye! - Ozz answers - It shan't be far from 'ere, we made good progress in th' enchanted path. At least, by my estimation. Methinks we coulda go 'round the lake, an' look fer a route next to that rock over there.

The goblin ranger passes the oppurtinity to take a bath.

Yawielas
2009-08-03, 02:37 PM
Vanwa catches the soap, smiles and nods to Butch before heading off to find a secluded space to take a bath.

Dethcom1
2009-08-04, 01:57 PM
Dagg

Dagg strips and heads into the water, where he finally seems to relax after the events of the previous night, although he does not speak. After a few dives he gets out and dries himself in the sun.

amanodel
2009-08-14, 08:38 AM
While you were enjoying the rare opportunity to clean, Ozz did some scouting, and coming back, he reported that he have found the road continuing.

Suddenly, you hear Vanwa screaming from behind the reed where she went to bath.

Rushing there, you find that she is attacked by some kind of snake-like water monster! She is currently being strangled as the monster tries to pull her into the deeper water.


( Didn't have a decent combat since a long, long time. )

Yawielas
2009-08-14, 10:47 AM
The skinny little elf girl struggles to catch her breath and reach the shore, panic shining in her eyes. With all the grime and mine dust gone, her hair is honey blonde, and her naked skin shows all the calluses, scabs, scars and whip marks of a mining slave. However, at the moment she's got other things to worry about than a bunch of guys rushing in on her bathing.

Quxelopqr
2009-08-15, 10:23 AM
Kaz

At the scream, Kaz turns to the water. "We have to get her out of there!" Kaz reaches for his bow, then realizes he would only hit Vanwa. He draws his kukri and rushes the water snake creature, trying to cut it off.

If I'm close enough to actually attack it:
attack: [roll0] damage: [roll1]

obliged_salmon
2009-08-15, 03:26 PM
Dafydd
HP: 28 AC: 18 (14 charging, shieldless)

"Lady Vanwa, please forgive this unfortunate intrusion upon your modesty!" Dafydd yells as he comes into sight. He is obviously trying not to look directly at her. He immediately turns to the monstrous threat and draws his sword. "Have at thee, cretin!" Dafydd runs and leaps to attack the snake, ignoring the likely effects of water on his banded mail.

[roll0](+8 normal, +2 charging)
[roll1]

Dethcom1
2009-08-16, 01:16 AM
Dagg

Dagg follows behind the others, already cursing himself for letting his guard down again and forgetting his armor. He circles around the snake, intent on blocking it's escape.

AC: 12. HP: 33

Dagg's gonna get to the other side of the snake, using a hustle action if necessary. If it isn't, than he attacks:
[roll0]
[roll1] (He gets his normal melee attack bonus if he isn't attacking with both weapons, right? Otherwise, subtract 2)
[roll2]

Truwar
2009-08-17, 10:29 AM
Butch

Butch explodes into action at the sound of Vanwa’s scream. The daggers that flash into his hands not nearly so grim looking as the expression on his face as he flies towards the snake-creature.

Initiative: [roll0]
Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

amanodel
2009-08-23, 05:55 AM
Butch and Kaz reach first to the lake monster. It is a constrictor boa of some soret, but you've never seen such a big snake before.

Carefully, not to hit Vanwa, Kaz attacks the snake, and hits it with his kukri. Butch gets his dagger, and tries to peel down the snake from the elf, but the anaconda is made of tough material.

Unwilling to let it's prey get away, the snake pulls Vanwa to the ground, and slowly tries to get back to the deeper waters. Right now you're standing ina knee-deep water, altough it's a slight problem for Vanwa, fighting for every single breath, as the snake pulled her down. The beast also try to get it's grip tighter, and a painful scream coming from Vanwa let's you now that the anaconda succeeded. (5 damage to Vanwa).

Dagg gets to the other side of the snake, and tries to block it's path, while Dafydd rushes in the water, almost stumbling in his heavy armor, and missing the snake completely.

(Dagg could't get an attack this turn, but can use the rolls for the next one.)

Quxelopqr
2009-08-23, 07:02 PM
Kaz
HP: 12 AC: 16
Kaz moves to the side of the snake as best he can in the water, trying to get into a flanking position. He then slashes at the snake again.
attack: [roll0] (+2 more if flanking) damage: [roll1] sneak attack if applicable: [roll2]

Truwar
2009-08-24, 11:12 AM
Butch

Butches moves to a more advantageous position and unloads on the snake, unleashing a flurry of brutal yet precise slashes in an attempt to sever the creature's spine and free Vanwa.

Attack on hand:
Attack off hand: [roll1]

Damage on hand: [roll]1d4+1d6+5
Damage off hand: 1d4+1d6+5

Truwar
2009-08-24, 11:14 AM
Damage on hand: [roll0]
Sneak attack dmg on hand: [roll1]

Damage off hand: [roll2]
Sneak Attack dmg off hand: [roll3]

obliged_salmon
2009-08-24, 06:38 PM
Dafydd
HP: 28 AC: 16

Alarmed, Dafydd sheathes his sword and attempts to take Vanwa by the arms and pull her away from the snake, or at least keep her head above water. "Unhand her, beast!"

[roll0] if applicable
[roll1] if applicable

Yawielas
2009-08-25, 01:51 AM
*splutter, gurgle*

bchilders
2009-08-27, 05:34 AM
Karos

Karos, not finding much room to maneuver and feeling that his warmace isn't the best option to be swinging near his entangled new companion, opts to help Dafydd extract Vanya from the snakes grasp.

Aid another:[roll0]

Dethcom1
2009-08-27, 12:15 PM
Dagg

Dagg finally attacks, trying to distract the snake from his allies. "Not another one! We're not another damned friend to this cursed mission!" He begins working himself up to that blind level of unseeing anger he fights in.

HP: 33, AC: 12

I'll use the previous roll. Not entering a rage quite yet.