PDA

View Full Version : The messengers



Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

amanodel
2009-09-01, 02:06 PM
The snake tightens it's grip with terrible force, and Vanwa would sceam in pain when she feels her left shoulder dislocated, the only thing stopping her from that is the fact that she's underwater most times. (6 damage, she's at -2!)

Just when she passes out from the pain, and being unable to breathe, the precise daggers of Kaz and Butch slice deep into the snake, and Dafydd and Karos can free the elf girl quickly. The deciding moment was Dagg's axe hitting the spine of the creature with brute force.

The snake, heavily wounded and stripped from it's prey, quickly turns back and in a matter of seconds, disappears in the lake, altough the abundance of blood in it's trails might suggest that it won't get far.

Vanwa is uncoscious, naked, but securely held by Dafydd.

Quxelopqr
2009-09-01, 08:47 PM
Kaz

"Whew, snakes gone for now". Seeing the bleeding form of Vanwa, Kaz hastily reaches into his belt and produces a potion. He then holds her head up and pours it down her throat (or however an unconcious person drinks a potion). "This oughta help."

Cure light wounds potion: [roll0]

Afterwards, and with a few more pointers from Ozz, Kaz finally feels like he can shoot arrows more accurately. (Level 3 Feat: Point Blank Shot)

Truwar
2009-09-02, 04:41 PM
Butch

Butch fights down the urge to pursue the snake and utterly destroy it and turns to his fallen friend. He is greatly relieved when Kaz is able to heal her but quickly grabs his cloak and shoulders his way forward, carefully wrapping Vanwa in it. Back off feller's, give the lass a bit o' privacy.

bchilders
2009-09-03, 11:33 AM
Karos

After Karos is sure that the snake has retreated for good he turns to head the other way, hoping to give Vanya some privacy.

After Vanya has her clothes back on, he offers to administer some healing if she is still feeling the effects of her encounter with the snake.

Yawielas
2009-09-03, 11:45 AM
Vanwa opens her eyes, coughing up water. Feeling the ground safely under her, she smiles weakly at the others. "Thank you....That thing came out of nowhere." She coughs some more, still hurt and bleeding, so she gratefully accepts Karos' offer of healing. She pats Butch' hand, recognizing his cloak around herself, and smiles.

Dethcom1
2009-09-05, 12:12 PM
Dagg

Dagg runs a few steps into the water to chase after the snake, but thinks better of it once he's chest deep. He walks back, checking that Vanwa is being cared for by the others, and spares a few words before going back to don his armor. "This isn't the right kind of place for a snake that big. We can't let our guard down here." Despite his warning, his mood seems much better than in the morning.

amanodel
2009-09-14, 02:30 PM
With Vanwa saved from the sea monster, you can continue your journey. Ozzgar have already found the correct way while you were bathing, and leads you into the forest again. The small ranger navigates you confidently. By the second half of the second day, you notice the trees getting taller and thicker every mile to the point that you can barely see their top and the whole forest becomes so dark as it was already dusk.

You now enough about elf towns to know that this probably indicates a very huge town being located just ahead of you. Dafydd probably was wondering about where the guards are, when you hear something from above, and as you look up, you realize that a large net was thrown down on you.

DC18 Reflex save to avoid being caught in the net.

Quxelopqr
2009-09-15, 12:24 AM
Kaz

We better be getting close...I'm not sure how much longer these rations will hold out. Looking up, Kaz sees the net and attempts to dodge.

Reflex:[roll0]

bchilders
2009-09-15, 02:27 AM
Karos

Staring intently at the trees and brush around the forest floor, Karos does not notice the net until he feels its weight on top of him.

Reflex:[roll0]

Yawielas
2009-09-15, 04:05 AM
(My computer where my character sheet was stored has died, so I am not sure what Vanwa's reflex save is. Could you roll for me, Amanodel? Do you still have my sheet? I haven't been able to upgrade it either.)

obliged_salmon
2009-09-15, 03:23 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd watches the net descend with some enthusiasm "I knew we were getting close!"

[roll0]

Truwar
2009-09-16, 10:02 AM
Butch

Figuring the net is of elven-make and suspecting his appearance might be the reason for the net, Butch does not even try to dodge out of the way of the falling entanglement. He hopes this will keep the elves from using less pleasant ways of restraint on him.

Dethcom1
2009-09-16, 12:08 PM
Dagg

Dagg retains his good mood, right up until the elves betray us again.

"Damnable traitorous sons of dogs!"

[roll0]

amanodel
2009-09-17, 02:35 PM
(rolled for Vanwa, she made it.)

As the net falls down from the trees, it's interesting that the two elves of the party, Dafydd and Vanwa were the only ones to avoid being caught in it.

It was indeed the work of the elf guards, you see them showing up on the trees with their bows at the ready.

As they see that some of you didn"t even resist the capture, their behaviour is clearly not hostile towards you, and they are looking at the agile Dafydd, and ask the short question: "State your name and your business!" - like in the previous case before, the leader of the guard spoke in elf language.

obliged_salmon
2009-09-17, 08:42 PM
Dafydd

At the familiar greeting, Dafydd mumbles to his companions, "Ah, bureaucracy..."

elven
"Friend and ally of my kin, my name is Dafydd Fennswyth. My companions and I come to these lands on a mission of grave import. We seek to arrange an alliance between the folk of this land and the humans from the east, against the Burubu invasion. We must speak to the princes and leaders of these lands at once, for time grows short even as we speak."

Dafydd does his best to sound grave, earnest, and worthy of attention.
[roll0]

Yawielas
2009-09-18, 04:00 AM
Vanwa dodges out of the way of the net, and looks up at the guards, apprehensively, holding her hands out to her sides to show she's no threat. Casting a worried glance towards Butch caught in the net, she hopes they won't fire upon her big friend. She listens to Daffyd speak, while trying to count how many elves have them surrounded.

Dethcom1
2009-09-18, 01:48 PM
Dagg

Dagg casually reaches into his backpack and pulls out a throwing ax, maintaining eye contact with the leader of the elven ambushing party the entire time.

"Dafydd, are they with the guys who tried to steal from us last night?" I'm getting sick of being ambushed by elves. Say the word...

obliged_salmon
2009-09-18, 06:41 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd replies "No, these are the border guard for the city...the one we've been trying to get to all this time. At least, I'm relatively sure. Hopefully I won't commit some awkward faux pas and get us all killed, eh?"

Truwar
2009-09-21, 11:30 AM
Butch

Easy Dagg, if these ‘er tha local law-men, we don’t want ta go ‘en giv’em the wrong idea. Ya got yerself a nice set o’ axes but I don’t think ye ken cut us outta this enchanted forest…

Dethcom1
2009-09-21, 12:09 PM
Dagg

Dagg breathe heavily for a while, but seeing as the death of the party does not seem to be imminent, he lowers his axes again and glares at the elves. "I'm getting sick of this. I need to get out of this place."

Quxelopqr
2009-09-22, 06:03 PM
Kaz

Kaz stands in the net, a slightly annoyed look on his face. "Relax Dagg, the faster they let us in, the sooner we'll be done here."

bchilders
2009-09-25, 08:26 AM
Karos

Kaors opens his mouth to try to help in calming the dwarf down, but decides that too many opinions make just anger him more. Promptly closing his mouth again he takes stock of his surroundings and slowly tries to disentangle himself from the net.

amanodel
2009-09-25, 12:35 PM
The patrol most definately believes in Daffyd, and they lower almost all bows, atlough some remain aimed at Butch and Dagg.

The leader steps to you, and shows a couple of blindfolds.

If you want us to trust you, first we must ask you to trust us. We have to blindflod you in order to take you to the city. - he says in common.

Dethcom1
2009-09-25, 06:32 PM
Dagg

Dagg looks cynically at the blindfolds. "This has nothing to do with trust. If we refuse, you kill us." Nevertheless, he puts his axes away and allows himself to be blindfolded.

Quxelopqr
2009-09-26, 04:14 PM
Kaz

Remaining silent, Kaz allows himself to be blindfolded as well. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them...but it's not like we have a choice.

Yawielas
2009-09-27, 07:31 AM
Vanwa starts automatically to back into the forest, not liking the idea of being helpless in the hands of strangers. It was too much like being a captive again.

Truwar
2009-10-01, 10:10 AM
Butch

Butch, wholly agreeing with Dagg's sentiment and attempting to look as non-threatening as is possible for a heavily muscled bugbear, shrugs and allows himself to be blindfolded.

obliged_salmon
2009-10-03, 11:08 AM
Dafydd

Noting Vanwa's reluctance, Dafydd speaks up on her behalf.

elven
"As my companions are willing to be blindfolded, so will I be. But this young one is coming home to her native lands after years spent in captivity to the Burubu. I would ask that she be allowed to view her home with open eyes, a people that defies the atrocities witnessed by those eyes."

Dafydd allows himself to be blindfolded.

Truwar
2009-10-08, 10:30 AM
Butch

Noting Vanwa's fear, Butch moves to her side, placing a comforting hand in her slender shoulder. Hey missy, you got nuthin' ta worry about. These 'er yer people and they aint gonna putchya in the hooskow. They'll likely give ya a big fancy party with all sorts of good booze n' tastey grub on accounta ya comin' back home.

Yer probably their missin' queen 'er somesuch n' they'll drape ya n' jewels n' silks n' all bow down ta ya. Butch grins at the little elf as his story grows more and more outlandish. Probably won't even be able ta hang out with me, on accounta me bein' too common ta hob nob with yer sort.

Heck, you outta be worried about poor ole Butch. I'll probably get 20 lashes fer talkin' to ya like this, yer hign 'n nobelyness.

Butch goes down on one knee before Vanwa with an absurd flourish. Here, this way they'll think I'm jist payin me proper respects, all respectable-like. He winks at her. When yer in yer elf-palace, ya won't forget about ole Butch, will ya?

Yawielas
2009-10-08, 04:41 PM
Vanwa starts by raising an eyebrow at Butch's increasingly wild story, then can't help but giggle a little. She takes his hand and tries to pull him up when he goes down on his knees, smiling. "How can anyone forget someone as big as you?"

amanodel
2009-10-14, 09:07 AM
When everyone has calmed down, you are blindfolde and the patrol leads your way. You feel that you are walking upstairs a lot, mostly in spiral and the wind blows stronger and stronger as you get higher.

"Now you shouldn't remove the blindfold, even elves not from our City get all dizzy when they look down..." - Jokes the patrol leader, and the earthbound members of the party probably get very stressed by it.

After some time, which seemed to be an eternity to you, your blindfolds are removed, and you realize that the elven capital is built literally above the trees. You are in a shady gate-like building, with at least a dozen armed soldiers surrounding you.

"For the sake of peace, I ask you to put down all your weapons here. It's like you could get down from here alive if it comes to agression, so why do even give it a chance? And don't worry, it's not likelkely that my people yill steal such rag-tag weaponry anyway."

Dethcom1
2009-10-18, 02:35 AM
Dagg

A distinct sound teeth grinding in rage comes from Dagg at the comment of "rag-tag" weaponry. He doesn't say a word, but glares at the leader of the insulting, cowardly, stretched out, weak, pasty, sub-dwarven scum and slams his axes into the floor.

"Are we going to speak to someone with real power any time soon? I'd like to get out of your Burubu-infested woods as soon as we can, before they attack and slaughter us all."

Quxelopqr
2009-10-19, 02:27 PM
Kaz

Kaz looks reluctant to drop off his weaponry. "Like you said, it's unlikely that we would make it out of here alive if it came to violence, so why bother taking our weapons?" If they persist, he will leave his equipment behind.

Truwar
2009-10-20, 01:51 PM
Butch

Butch sets his massive staff down, then places the two heavy daggers he wears at his belt next to it, finally he begins producing slender throwing knives each one appearing as if by magic in his hand. After he has accumulated a fair sized pile of the weapons, he eyes their “chaperones” appraisingly and sighs, adding several more throwing knives to the pile.

amanodel
2009-10-26, 11:43 AM
The elves insist that Kaz should leave his weapons behind. After every weapon is collected, a dozen or so guards escort you to the palace. You still can't believe that you're walking on a tree-top city, hundred feets above the ground. The place is both alien and beautiful for nonelves, as most of the houses are made out of living wood, formed by some kind of nature magic.

The citizens are interested in the newcomers, but will keep their distance once they spot Butch, and adults take their children out of the way of the unknown "monster".

Finally you get to a most impressive "building" which is surely equivalant of a palace here. Inside of it, you are led into a throne room, where countless warriors are standing guard. dafydd and Karos could feel that once they've entered the throne room, they were separated from their source of magic, and they can easily reckognize the anti-magic field.

You are led to the throne, where the King and Queen of the Moon elves sit next to each other, on a throne that seems to be made out of jade and emerald. Both the King and Queen are breathtakingly beautiful and cold.

Dafydd knows the etiquette, and kneels down immediately. Those who forget this will be reminded with a rather strong nudge on their back.

Yawielas
2009-10-27, 08:36 AM
Vanwa knows full well that kneeling to authority figures is a wise move after her years as a slave, so she to falls to her knees, keeping her head bowed. The beauty of the place is almost painful to take in, but she steals glances now and then, her breath caught in her throat.

(Sorry about the absence, but I just had a baby a week ago :) )

Quxelopqr
2009-10-27, 11:13 PM
Kaz

Kaz leaves his stuff behind at the request of the elves. He kneels before the royalty as could be expected, and gives the Regency's signet ring to Dafydd and shows him how to get at the secret compartment. "You'll be the one doing the talking here anyways. Good luck."

Truwar
2009-11-05, 12:11 PM
Butch

Although it irks him just a bit, Butch is a pragmatist and fully aware of the impact of his appearance on those unfamiliar with him he goes to his knees, humbly bowing before the elven monarchs.

amanodel
2009-11-07, 04:39 AM
Daffyd humbly explains your mission, and hadles over the seales letter to an elf that resemble a courtier.

The king looks at the rag-tag band, especially Daffyd the wildelf, Vanwa the strangely small moonelf, and Butch the godsknowwhat. Quickly reading the message, the king dismisses you without sayig anything, and the guards escort you out from the palace. Perhaps you waited for something more, but the king seems to prefer to be alone.

The guards lead you to an open place not far from the palace to wait, and soon a few citizens appear, examining the strange creatures.

It is clear that they are interested in your group, and would like to ask some qestions to Vanwa and Dafydd, but the presence of Butch keeps them away for now.

Dethcom1
2009-11-07, 10:55 PM
Dagg

Dagg manages not to say anything about the curt dismissal to the king's face, and seems to have calmed down. At least there is less venom in his voice now. "Well, great. We're finally at the end of this journey and the elves may just decide that they don't need to help us after all. 'Hello! What's that you got there, a plea for military aid? How many people died to get it to us? Oh no thanks, you can be on your way now.' What do we get for our troubles? Naught but a swift boot to the backside, and the honor of being gawked at like a circus." He glares at the elves surrounding the group and begins yelling at them in Dwarven.

Quxelopqr
2009-11-12, 02:17 PM
Kaz

"Don't worry Dagg, they're elves. They never make decisions like this quickly." I hope. The thought that this whole mission has been in vain has Kaz slightly upset, but he tries to convince himself that they're just mustering up the troops.

Yawielas
2009-11-12, 02:24 PM
Vanwa stares back at the elves just as curious, wondering if she might be related to any of them, and wishing she knew more about her family.

Truwar
2009-11-12, 04:23 PM
Butch

Butch chuckles at the sight of elves gawking at him. Casually leaning against a building, small personal effects from his pack and beltpouch begin appearing in his hand as if by magic and as they do, he begins juggling them, adding more and more mundane objects from his person until he is weaving a complex pattern of flying soap, hairbrushes, coins and the like through the air.

Sleight of Hand as Perform: [roll0]

obliged_salmon
2009-11-16, 07:57 AM
Dafydd

Dafydd stares blankly into the ground, pondering the group's predicament. After some interminable time, he looks up. "I knew there was a reason I left these lands." He smiles wanly at the group, and steps forward toward the crowd amicably to answer any questions and exchange pleasantries with the natives.

amanodel
2009-11-20, 03:22 PM
The elves quickly start to like the juggling monster, and immensely hate the dwarf. Some generously throw a couple of coins to the funnily muscled monster, mostly to show that they prefer the unknown monster more than the dwarves. Bugbear anatomy differs from the elf one greatly, Butch's forearm is probably thicker than most of the elves around here, yet he possesses the same dexterity.

Vanwa looks around, but she feels lost. This is the first time she's surrounded by her kin, but feels that they look all the same. The elves look at her with curiosity, not really understanding what a true moon elf is doing amongst humans and other feral races.

Dafydd is doing pretty well in dealing with the townsfolk, since they are eager to hear any stories from a rare wild elf.

Around an hour later comes a delegation, led by a noble-looking elf.

His Majesty has made his decision. He supports the cause of your lords under one circumstance: the dwarves must also send their army to the battle. If you win the support of the dwarf kings, you win our support. - he states, looking at you, especially Dagg.

Quxelopqr
2009-11-20, 09:16 PM
Kaz

Kaz looks a bit worried about the news. He takes back his ring and then bows graciously to the messenger.
Elven "Sir elf," he says, "While I have no problem going to the dwarven lands and likewise doubt any issue gaining their support, I am worried about the ability of my people to hold out against the invaders until we get back. Would it be possible to send a few men while we go to the dwarven lands? I would hate to have wasted your time."
Kaz looks towards Dafydd to back his opinion up.

obliged_salmon
2009-11-23, 06:30 PM
Dafydd

Dafydd gives Kaz a look of consternation at the address 'sir elf,' and picks up the conversation, bowing before the noble delegate.

"My lord, we are honored by the king's gracious reply. My friend is correct in saying time is of utmost importance, however, and while human lands are overrun, left a wasting bulwark bereft of the glorious combat prowess of elven soldiers. The tide of the Burubu war machine is one that can be contained such as it is by neither humans nor elves alone. It has taken us long days to travel here, and will take long also to reach dwarven lands. My friend's request in light of these factors is not unreasonable."

Dafydd thinks bitterly to himself, I wonder if they mean to help at all....

[roll0]

amanodel
2009-12-11, 02:05 PM
His Majesty has made the decision. - says the elf dismissively - We won't lead our armies to war and bleed while thoe undergrown bearded devils laugh in their fortress. Here is a map, so you won't get lost. - he hands you over a detailed map, as if questioning your general intelligence - As you have said, there is no time to waste, so get going already. Shaullewentoril!

The last word was probably a name. A name of a magician, and as soon as he was called for, he begun cast a spell on you. Before you could even answer the arrogant elf lord, you feel as you were spinning fast, and everything turn into black and violet. You regain your sight a few moments later, and notice that you were teleported back below the city. Your head hurts from the spell, but soon you notice that at least they were kind enough and get your weapons here.

Quxelopqr
2009-12-11, 02:29 PM
Kaz

Kaz sits still for a few moments to clear the cobwebs out, then picks up his equipment.

"Alright Oz, let's get going on that map. No sense wasting time here."

Truwar
2009-12-23, 04:03 PM
Butch

Butch grunts as he regains his bearings. Couldn't they'av magicked us straight to the dwarves?

Dethcom1
2010-01-17, 02:20 PM
Dagg

Dagg groans and clutches his head. He recovers a moment later, his mood even more soured. "They probably could have. They just like to see us walk."

He shoulders his pack heavily and takes his place in the group. "No offense Dafydd, but I'll be glad to leave this place behind. By the way, we forgot to tell them to stop kidnapping those lumberjacks."

Yawielas
2010-01-17, 04:50 PM
Vanwa sighs. "I didn't get a chance to find out anything about my mother...Maybe she's not from here..."

Quxelopqr
2010-01-17, 08:01 PM
Kaz

"I wouldn't worry too much about it Vanwa. We'll be back, after all. Dagg, do you recognize this area?" Kaz points at the location on the map the elf gave them.

amanodel
2010-01-18, 12:11 PM
Dagg can recognize vaguely the area, and Ozzgar quickly finds out the direction you need to start. Ozz also advices you to get the hell out of the elf forest as soon as possible, for it's creepy.

If noone objects, the goblin ranger will lead you onwards.

Truwar
2010-01-21, 11:20 AM
Butch

Butch sighs and hefts his massive quarterstaff, fumbling in his beltpouch for a cigar as he follows the ranger. So... what'er you fellas up to then?

Dethcom1
2010-01-21, 09:46 PM
Dagg

Dagg looks startled for a moment, then remembers that no one had told Butch or Vanwa about the group's mission. Embarrassed, he begins to explain the mission to gather the races for war, the fight with the lumberjacks and its aftermath, and the ring the group found.

Quxelopqr
2010-01-28, 02:50 AM
Kaz

Kaz lets Dagg explain the mission. Afterwards, he says "It's a pretty dangerous mission as well. You two are welcome to come along as far as I'm concerned, but if you'd prefer we can make a stop at the nearest town and drop you two off."

amanodel
2010-03-19, 01:43 PM
The way out of the forest is quick, as if the forest itself wanted you to leave. Ozzgar murmurs about damned elf magics.

You head to the Northeast, to the dwarven lands. After two days the forest is behind you, and the terrain starts to change. higher and higher hills emerge, but at least, you spot a village from a hilltop. It lies in a peaceful-looking valley, and you judge that you could get there before nightfall.

The weather is pleasant, the sun shines, undisturbed by bigger cloads, and a gentle warm wind blows.

Quxelopqr
2010-03-20, 04:04 AM
Kaz

Kaz lets out a barely audible sigh as he sees the village. He seems a bit tired.

"Seems pretty nice out. Who else feels like a warm bed and a hot meal?"

Dethcom1
2010-03-22, 03:31 AM
Dagg

"I would, but my pockets are emptier than a giant's conscience. I was hoping we could get some cash from the elves for the road ahead, but..." He looks back, and shakes his head sadly at the trees. "Maybe I could make some quick gold in the town."

I miss Fury. Shouldn't've left him behind.

Yawielas
2010-03-23, 12:19 PM
Vanwa tries to imagine what a real bed would feel like, then shrugs. "I have that mithril..."

Quxelopqr
2010-03-23, 03:11 PM
Kaz

Kaz shakes his head. "Let's save that mithril for soemthing more valuable. I have enough coins to get us at least a cheap room."

Truwar
2010-03-23, 04:29 PM
Butch

Butch puffs reflectively on one of his ever-present cigars as he counts out the money tossed to him by the elves for his juggling performance. After determining how much money he has he sidles up to Vanwa and whispers to the petite elven woman.

Well, missy, we gonna hitch arr mule ta these fellers 'n their mission o' mercy or are we gonna roll on?

Yawielas
2010-03-24, 11:10 AM
Vanwa looks at Butch, shrugging a little. "I wanted to go to the elves...But they don't seem to want me. Threw me out with the rest of the group. So I don't know. I really wanted to find out if my mother had any relatives alive still. Maybe I have family." She chews her lower lip and looks back towards the elven forest. "Well....if they don't want me, I guess I can help with this mission. I mean...if I can."

Dethcom1
2010-03-26, 07:09 AM
Dagg

"You're welcome at least as long as I'm here, and I doubt anyone else objects either." Dagg sighs as the group marches toward the town. "Looks like I'll have to dip into my reserve. Out of rations, too. This adventuring business is nothing like it was in the old days, when my grandfather was on the road. Couldn't go ten feet without stumbling over a dragon's hoard, or ancient temple, or the like, according to him."

amanodel
2010-03-28, 01:50 PM
The journey towards the village is rather pleasant. There is a lot of cultivated fields in the area, but strangely, nobody is working on the fields. You can find different vegetables and fruits, and yo can get some to yourselves to help your growing hunger. The farmlands look somewhat neglected, and nobody's around.

Quxelopqr
2010-03-28, 10:59 PM
Kaz

Despite his unhappy stomach, Kaz refrains from taking any of the food. It's a nice day, but the farmers aren't farming? I don't trust this place.

Kaz looks around for something that might resemble an inn or tavern.

amanodel
2010-04-06, 05:30 PM
You don't find anyone until you reach the village. You can spot it from far, that there are people in the village, so the whole place isn't abandoned as you first may have believed.

Upon entering the village, the villagers look upon you untrustingly, but none of them seemingly has the courage to address you.

Dethcom1
2010-04-18, 02:38 PM
Dagg

"I don't think we're going to be well-liked here." Dagg tries to address the villagers. "Hey! Is there anywhere we can buy some supplies, or an inn to stay the night?"

Yawielas
2010-04-20, 02:14 PM
Vanwa keeps close to Butch while they walk through the village. She looks around for a tavern or an inn, any place they might get some food and a bed. Still disappointed after being rejected by the elves, she sighs. These villagers didn't seem too friendly either. Must be the war making people so distrusting.