PDA

View Full Version : Anagram names

bc56
2018-01-18, 10:19 PM
Anagrams are super cool! I use them to name characters, by creating an anagram from their inspiration.

For example,

The inventor of word puzzles using mixed-up letters might be:
Gar Masan

The champion of evil who is secretly the protagonist's father would be:
Derath Vrad

What do you think?
Any other cool anagram names or uses for anagrams?

Celestia
2018-01-18, 10:55 PM
How about the name Mr. Manana Sage?

Pex
2018-01-18, 10:57 PM
I'm all about the exp!

Khi'Khi
2018-01-18, 11:16 PM
"Fulbowe" and "Legern" for a warrior and his beastly rival

The Random NPC
2018-01-19, 12:33 AM
While I've never used an anagram, I have named my mule Elum, and one time in a Star Wars game I named my gambling scoundrel Relb Ma’ag.

weckar
2018-01-19, 04:16 AM
This thread hurts my head. Would it hurt people to actually say what words they are anagramming? :P

Celestia
2018-01-19, 06:26 AM
This thread hurts my head. Would it hurt people to actually say what words they are anagramming? :P
If I did that, it would ruin the punchline, and killing a joke hurts me emotionally.

weckar
2018-01-19, 06:41 AM
If I did that, it would ruin the punchline, and killing a joke hurts me emotionally.

Allow me, then:

Mr. Manana Sage = Anagram Names

FULBOWE = Beowulf
Legern = Grendel

Elum = Mule
Relb Ma’ag = Gambler

Altair_the_Vexed
2018-01-19, 06:48 AM
At your service...

How about the name Mr. Manana Sage?
=Anagram names

"Fulbowe" and "Legern" for a warrior and his beastly rival
= Beowulf & Grendel

While I've never used an anagram, I have named my mule Elum, and one time in a Star Wars game I named my gambling scoundrel Relb Ma’ag.
= Mule & A gambler

EDIT: Aiee! Sword-saged!

bc56
2018-01-19, 07:37 AM
For those who didn't get the answers to mine:

Anagrams are super cool! I use them to name characters, by creating an anagram from their inspiration.

For example,

The inventor of word puzzles using mixed-up letters might be:
Gar Masan

The champion of evil who is secretly the protagonist's father would be:
Derath Vrad

What do you think?
Any other cool anagram names or uses for anagrams?

Gar Masan = Anagrams
Derath Vrad = Darth Vader

Celestia
2018-01-19, 08:51 AM
Allow me, then:

Mr. Manana Sage = Anagram Names

FULBOWE = Beowulf
Legern = Grendel

Elum = Mule
Relb Ma’ag = Gambler

Alack! I am wounded!

Malimar
2018-01-19, 12:30 PM
I recently incorporated an ancient prophecy by a dude named Tarsus the Nomad. At least one player has made comparisons mentioning Nostradamus by name, but they still haven't noticed the anagram.

Pex
2018-01-19, 12:47 PM
In a 2E one shot game I did play a wizard named Rekovin.

martixy
2018-01-19, 03:42 PM
In my world I have a seminal work of magic theory called "Philosophić Naturalis Principia Arcanum" written by Eon Swain Arctis, which is an anagram of guess who...

Nifft
2018-01-19, 03:53 PM
In my world I have a seminal work of magic theory called "Philosophić Naturalis Principia Arcanum" written by Eon Swain Arctis, which is an anagram of guess who...

Eris Wanna Cot, obviously indicating that Chaos has a headache at seeing the integrated solution to an infinite infinitesimal sequence of magical progression, and Chaos should just go take a nap.

Or perhaps Sir Ace Wanton, the famously lionized flying duelist.

Certainly not that falling apple guy.

Psyren
2018-01-19, 03:59 PM
I do enjoy these, and use them liberally in video games too (e.g. Skyrim.)

I also like going to other languages for inspiration - using Native American words for my Tauren, Zulu and Swahili for my trolls, Chinese for Pandaren etc. (Sometimes I will even do both - finding another language word for the thing I want, then anagramming that.)

The Random NPC
2018-01-21, 11:53 AM
At your service...

=Anagram names

= Beowulf & Grendel

= Mule & A gambler

EDIT: Aiee! Sword-saged!

Oh! It was a better anagram than I thought. I really just spelled it backwards and added a random a to make it sound better

ATHATH
2018-01-21, 11:21 PM
Tom Marvolo Riddle.

Dimers
2018-01-22, 03:01 AM
I hate to nitpick -- no, wait, actually I love to nitpick -- but "Grendel" has a D in it and "Legern" doesn't.

I have the best RL anagram name. My full name works out to "A cerebral blond twerp", which I totally am. :smallsmile:

eru001
2018-01-22, 09:35 PM
not much of an anagram but one of the villians in a campaign I ran was, Skotto Orzeny

Otto Skorzeny

Bohandas
2018-02-11, 04:39 PM
The anagram thing would probably also be a good way if you need to make a name up on the spur of the moment, just scramble the letters of something in the room like you're Verbal Kint or something.