PDA

View Full Version : Armor of Invulnerability question and other stuff.

Degwerks
2018-01-19, 09:00 PM
When the description for the armor says : "you have resistance to nonmagical damage" Does that mean unless its a spell attack or the magical effects of things like the fire or frost from a Flametongue/Frostbrand, that I have resistance to it.? Would I have resistance to a +2 sword etc?

2nd question is what is everyones thoughts on a Hexblade/Pally getting a Rod of Absorbtion to help protect himself from direct spell attacks but mainly to use as a Spell Slot Battery for tough boss fights. I know the Rod won't last forever but it still seems worth getting IMO.

JNAProductions
2018-01-20, 02:21 AM
When the description for the armor says : "you have resistance to nonmagical damage" Does that mean unless its a spell attack or the magical effects of things like the fire or frost from a Flametongue/Frostbrand, that I have resistance to it.? Would I have resistance to a +2 sword etc?

2nd question is what is everyones thoughts on a Hexblade/Pally getting a Rod of Absorbtion to help protect himself from direct spell attacks but mainly to use as a Spell Slot Battery for tough boss fights. I know the Rod won't last forever but it still seems worth getting IMO.

Magical weapons would bypass it-including things such as a Weapon of Warning (which only gives advantage on Init, but still counts as magic).

And talk to your DM on that. You're not guaranteed any magic items in 5E.

Unoriginal
2018-01-20, 05:39 AM
Any magical weapon bypass the resistance, even if it's just a Moon-Touched Sword

Degwerks
2018-01-20, 08:18 AM
Then at high levels of play, that armor is crap for being a Legendary item. Thanks guys

Knaight
2018-01-20, 08:21 AM
Then at high levels of play, that armor is crap for being a Legendary item. Thanks guys

Not really. There's plenty of monsters using natural attacks that don't count as magical, and at high levels of play you can generally expect to outlevel most enemies anyways (much the same way that at low levels you're likely to be a bit under).

King of Nowhere
2018-01-20, 08:24 AM
It's still crap for its value. the damage rreduction is way too low to justify the price.

Unoriginal
2018-01-20, 09:19 AM

You know that even at high levels, most creatures don't have magic weapons/do only magic damage, right?

Unoriginal
2018-01-20, 10:11 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I think there is confusion on something:

Monster abilities like Breaths or dealing acid damage with their attacks don't count as magical unless a) they're said to be b) they're from a spell c) they're from a magic item

Trey Bright
2018-08-04, 03:02 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I think there is confusion on something:

Monster abilities like Breaths or dealing acid damage with their attacks don't count as magical unless a) they're said to be b) they're from a spell c) they're from a magic item

I believe in 3.5 and 5e (not sure about 4ed) the Terrasque has only nonmagical attacks right?