PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Medusa/Basilisk Sorcery Bloodline Discussion

werescythe
2018-01-20, 03:28 PM
This comes from the fact that when it comes to mythical creatures one of my favorites (aside from vampires) is the gorgon from greek mythology, not to be confused with the gorgon from DnD (they got it wrong), the gorgon was actually the creature we associate Medusa with (a woman with snakes for hair and the ability to turn others into stone, not some weird stone bull).

But since we are going to be technical we will refer to this as a Medusa Sorcery Bloodline for this discussion.

Now one of the inspirations for this idea was the fact that only Wizards and Warlocks can learn the Petrification spell (Sorcerers can't) as a level 6 spell. While I kind of want to build this into a bloodline I'm not sure how I want to do it.

The idea is that the bloodline abilities for level 1 (and maybe level 4) are abilities designed to slow enemies and maybe make them more vulnerable to skill checks. At level 6 the unlock the Petrification spell (or an ability that is similar to the spell) that allows them to turn an individual to stone (will probably have a skill saving throw involved to give the defender a chance) before having to take a long rest to replenish the ability. The abilities after might work either by giving the sorcerer a boost to certain stats when around petrified statues or perhaps increase their ability turn more enemies into stone.

Keep in mind this is just a concept, so please feel free to give constructive feedback that could help make this a balanced (yet at the same time not underpowered) sorcery bloodline.

Thank you for reading this thread.