PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Shao'Garr[NPC] PEACH

Lord Vukodlak
2018-01-22, 09:43 PM
So I'm in the process of converting my campaign setting for 5e and one of the NPC's I have to remake is The God Emperor Shao'Garr. I recall Tippsy I think helped be design the 3rd edition version. But I need a new one for fifth edition. He's not someone I intend to send against the PC’s but he exists and should the party decided to challenge him its important to have stats.

It is said that Shao’Garr fell to earth on a shooting star, whether or not that is true has been lost to history. The man known as Shao’Garr or The God Emperor was the founder and first Emperor of The Garr Empire. He united the shattered remnants of the old Kingdom of Akallabęth ending centuries of civil war before expanding his reach across the entirety of Khazadorm uniting the Continent under his rule. He ruled the Empire for two centuries before being laid to rest on an island in the Goldman Bay. It is said that so long as The Empire endures the Emperor will sleep his work on this earth complete.
*The above is basic history of the man as known to the world seven centuries after his conquest of Akallabęth when my previous campaigns took place though not necessarily where. The world has two other continents and a third that’s fractured into an archipelago.
Shao'Garr stands seven feet tall with stark white hair and molten golden eyes.
The God Emperor Shao’Garr
Medium Humanoid(Titan), Lawful
Armor Class: 21
Hit Points: 375(30d8+240)
Speed: 50ft.
Str 26 (+8) Dex 22 (+6) Con 26 (+8) Int 20 (+5) Wis 20 (+5) Cha 30 (+10)
Proficiency Bonus: +9
Saving Throws: Str, +17, Con+17, Int+14, Wis, +14, Cha+19
Skills: Athletics +17, Acrobatics, +17, Perception +14, Arcana +14, Insight, +14, Persuasion +19,
Damage Resistances ;
Damage Immunities: necrotic, poison, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks.
Condition Immunities: charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned, paralyzed
Senses: Truesight 120 ft.,
Passive Perception: 29
Languages: All
Challenge Rating: 30
Divine Influence 3/day: Shao’Garr as a reaction, can force any creature(other then himself) he can see to reroll any attack roll, saving throw, or ability check. For better or worse the creature takes the results of the new roll.
Godly Concentration: Shao’Garr can concentrate on two spells simultaneously doing so is taxing however and reduces the number of legendary actions available to him to two.
Legendary Resistance (3/Day). If Shao’Garr fails a saving throw, he can choose to succeed instead.
Magic Weapons. The Shao’Garr's unarmed attacks are magical.
Actions
Multiattack. Shao’Garr makes two unarmed attacks,
Unarmed Strike: Melee Weapon Attack: +17 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (1d12+8) bludgeoning damage plus 27 (6d8) force damage.
Spell Casting: Shoa’Garr casts and prepares spells as a 20th level wizard; the DC is DC 19. (yes I know it should be 24 with his proficiency score but I thought that a little much and kept the DC to a 20th level wizards proficiency score)
Cantrips Known: Minor Illusion, Message, Blade Ward, Chill Touch and Prestidigitation
Spell Slots:4/3/3/3/3/2/2/1/1
Spell Level:1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9
Typical Spells Prepared (25/25)
9th Level: Time Stop, Foresight(1 slot)
8th Level: Maze, (1 Slot)
7th Level: Teleport, Forcecage, Delayed Blast Fireball(2 Slots)
6th Level: Disintegrate, Globe of Invulnerability, Chain Lightning(2 Slots)
5th Level: Scrying, Wall of Force, Animate Objects(3 Slots)
4th Level: Black Tentacles, Fire Shield, Greater Invisibility (3 Slots)
3rd Level: Blink, Counterspell, Fly, Fireball (3 Slots)
2nd Level: Mirror Image, Suggestion, Hold Person (3 Slots)
1st Level: Shield, Absorb Elements, Magic Missile (4 Slots)

Legendary Actions
Shoa’Garr can take 3 legendary actions(unless concentrating on two spells then), choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. Shao’Garr regains spent legendary actions at the start of his turn. Once an option has been chosen it can't be chosen again until Shao'Garr regains his spent legendary actions.

Cast a spell: Shao’Garr can cast a spell of 3rd level or lower with casting time of one action or less taken from his prepared list as normal.

Divine Radiance: Shao’Garr bolsters all non-hostile creatures within 120ft of him until the end of his next turn. Bolstered creatures can’t be charmed or frightened and they gain advantage on ability checks and saving throws until the end of Shao’Garr’s next turn. Creatures hostile to Shao'Garr instead become frightened for one round wisdom save DC 18 to negate, in addition frighten creatures have their speed reduced to zero.

Flash Step: Shao’Garr surrounds himself in silvery mists before teleporting up to 30 feet away to an unoccupied space that he can see. If this puts him adjacent to an opponent he can make one melee attack against them. If the opponent has not personally witnessed Flash Step before they are considered surprised.

Awesome Blow: Shao’Garr makes an unarmed attack that sends the target flying. On a successful hit the target takes normal damage(1d12+8 bludgeoning damage plus 27 (6d8) force damage.) and then must succeed on a strength saving throw DC 22 or be pushed back 30ft landing prone.

Recovery: Shao’Garr recovers 3d10+24 hit-points of damage

*Yes it is my intention for him to have more options then he has legendary actions.

I thought a lot about his creature type. By all appearances he’s humanoid but he certainly has otherworldly abilities. But he’s not celestial or fiendish either. I’ve considered Fey but he’s not connected to nature. So I settled on humanoid with a subtype of Titan as a denotation of power rather then size.
For the base stats I started with a solar then started tweaking from there. Shao'Garr was always a Gish type mixing arcane power with martial power. The first version used a sword, a later variation used the thunderlance spell from 3.5. But for 5th edition I decided he should just pound things into the ground.
One of the overall goals is to make him genuinely CR 30 and not fake CR 30 like the Tarrasque.

So any thoughts comments etc.

JNAProductions
2018-01-22, 10:23 PM
Why does he have every single saving throw proficiency? His worst save is +14, meaning that you've got a 1/5 chance (assuming DC 19) of having any effect stick AT BEST. That's... Not fun.

Other than his exceptional defenses, though... He's basically just a caster with decent melee. That's literally it.

Lord Vukodlak
2018-01-22, 11:45 PM
Why does he have every single saving throw proficiency? His worst save is +14, meaning that you've got a 1/5 chance (assuming DC 19) of having any effect stick AT BEST. That's... Not fun.
An earlier draft had fewer save proficiency's but like pretty much every other high CR creatures he had magic resistance. As he was retconed from a sword user to a thunderlance user to fighting unarmed I just decided to go monk and give him proficiency in all saves. Though now that you mention it dexterity was not supposed to be in there.

His CR of 30 is supposed to be justified, something that even the highest level and best equipped PC's would struggle against.

Other than his exceptional defenses, though... He's basically just a caster with decent melee. That's literally it.
You could sum up pretty much anything from the MM so simply. A dragon flies, breathes element x and has good melee.
Balor, teleports, is on fire, good melee, explodes on death.

I would point out certain abilities such as Divine Influence, forcing others to re-roll a d20, kinda an offensive version of Lucky. That's certainly different then caster with melee. His ability to concentrate on two spells at the same time, combined with his Flash Step and Divine Radiance give him incredible battlefield control.

Oh and thank you for your response.

Blackbando
2018-01-23, 01:04 PM
I actually think this looks pretty fine, for the most part. Small format issues here, of which I'm only gonna point out one.

Divine Radiance
Will saves aren't a thing, it'd be a Wisdom saving throw. Also, this is pretty damn good. IMO, it's 2-legendary-action-cost good, though since you don't intend to send him against the PCs, I'd say it might be fine to it as good as it currently is.