PDA

View Full Version : Which day of the week do you prefer playing?

Couatl
2018-01-26, 03:17 AM
...and why?

I myself have found out that players tend to get more involved and roleplay better during the dark part of the day, maybe best around 11-midnight. This is why I prefer games that start between 6 and 8 in the evening.

Also I have found it that weekends tend to be much more difficult for removing distracting things like kids, phone calls, relatives, family engagements, etc...

What do you do with your groups?

Eloel
2018-01-26, 03:23 AM
Every. I unfortunately only am a part of 2 groups which meet every 2 weeks, so I only roughly play once a week, 1/7 of what I'd like.

EccentricCircle
2018-01-26, 05:10 AM
Tuesdays and Thursdays tend to be best for our groups. Fridays tend to get lumped in with the weekend, so aren't so good unless we're doing a weekend long thing. Mondays and Wednesdays are also fine. However if you play on adjacent days you often end up with a long run of games through the middle of the week, and thus less time to prep things. Thus keeping them spread out a bit more is better.

Time tends to be the trickier one. We rarely start before eight, as its impossible for everyone in the group to get home from work, eat and get to the game before then (even for online ones, which by rights should be quicker). Since we game on work nights we can't play beyond ten, so lots of short episodes tends to be the order of business.

We've also had great success with gaming weekends, where we play from ten am -ten pm on Saturday, with breaks for food. Then resume on Sunday, usually from ten am - five or six pm (at which point someone usually has to start traveling, as players come from far afield.) You can generally play for 14 hours on average using that kind of schedule, which is great for getting through a solid chunk of story, although it takes a bit of prep work to set up.

Misereor
2018-01-26, 08:23 AM
...and why?

Any given Sunday.
Fridays we're too tired, and Saturdays are usually taken up by other stuff. Weekdays aren't practical, so all that's left is Sunday.
We usually play from noon to 5-7 PM every other week. Let's us sleep in or do stuff in the morning, and still be home in time for dinner. Sunday seems to be the most popular with the wives and girlfriends too, although there's the usual grumbling that we aren't watching grown men chase a ball, drinking beer, or other assorted socially acceptable pastimes for men in their forties and fifties.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-01-26, 08:33 AM
Mondays and Wednesdays because we are all free at this days, I work at home so I'm always free, they are professors and have less classes these days or something and the others are psychologists and dentists and they have less clients these days so they can get a "window" to go and play some games.

Lord Torath
2018-01-26, 08:43 AM
Tuesday or Saturday.

Monday is family night. Wednesday I have a Youth Group I help out. Thursday is Date Night. One Friday a month I get together with a buddy for some table-top wargaming. Sunday frequently has extended family get-togethers, so is an unreliable day for me. That leaves Tuesday and Saturday.

Terrorvein
2018-01-26, 11:05 AM
Saturday afternoon for me.

I work shifts so running a game during the week is rather impractical. And sundays is band rehearsal and family day.

Tanarii
2018-01-26, 11:13 AM
Any day except Friday night. That's a good night to find a random open table game where you don't have to book in advance, or at least the other players aren't depending on you to show up.

But for scheduled games, setting it for Fri nights is a good way to have some number of players have last second excuses. Or even just no-show.

The absolute worst mistake I make is letting people talk me into a home game regularly scheduled for Fri night. I let that happen recently with some friends, partly because that was the night they're "all free", and party because that's a night I don't already run games. I have no clue what I was thinking. :smallyuk:

EsstotheTee
2018-01-26, 11:25 AM
My favourite is Saturday night. I always have Sundays off and so do the majority of my gaming friends. We can stay up a little later and still have Sunday to recover.

Slipperychicken
2018-01-26, 11:58 AM
It pretty much has to be a saturday. I have work on weekdays, and I can't stay up sunday. If everyone lived closer we could probably do weekdays. Adulting is hard.

Sobeit
2018-01-26, 12:36 PM
Friday 19:00-23:00 just because you don't have to wake up the next day for work feeling like a halfling after a pub crawl through the dwarven district plus it helps you unwind after a busy week.

Alternatively Saturday evening :smallsmile:

Joe the Rat
2018-01-26, 12:58 PM
I have been playing online most Saturdays starting 7-8pm local time for about five years now, so it's kind of ingrained. If I had other options, I'd pick Friday evening (7+) for a 4+ hour regular session, Wednesdays for a short regular session (6-9ish, online or including travel), or Sunday afternoon to evening for a long monthly.

LordCdrMilitant
2018-01-26, 03:13 PM
Sunday, afternoon->evening, because that's when there's almost never interference from outside matters.

Pex
2018-01-26, 03:31 PM
Any day that ends in a "Y".

Being able to and having the opportunity to are a different matter.

VincentTakeda
2018-01-26, 03:49 PM
Friday nights and saturday nights... Game prep goes on all week long after work, then just as the stressful work week ends, the game helps you unwind, but you then still get sunday afterwards to just chill and recharge your batteries or spend time with family (for those with family that dont join in on the game table)