PDA

View Full Version : Original System New Armor Material

Ironsmith
2018-01-28, 03:44 AM
So, I'm working on a fantasy setting, and I wanted to have a look at a potential material for armor: ruby/sapphire.

I know, gemstone armor isn't exactly a new concept in the gaming scene (see also: Minecraft's Diamond Armor), but the more I look at it, the more bizarre kind of sense it makes.

First off, it's important to note that rubies are, for the majority of their composition, made from corundum, aka aluminium oxide (Al2O3). This is the same kind of compound used in modern-day ceramic body armor, the kind used in military engagements and that routinely stops bullets (which would be far more dangerous than the crossbow bolts or arrows found in a traditional fantasy setting).

It's also worth noting that corundum has a material density of around 4 grams per cubic centimeter, which comes out to a little over half that of steel, and does an even better job when compared to brass or bronze. Some heavier forms of steel plate armor ran around 25 kg... a comparable suit of corundum armor would then weigh in at a mere 12, maybe 15 kg (around 26-33 pounds) when all the buckles/harnesses/etc. are accounted for.

Of course, also in your typical fantasy setting, reliably shaping such a material would be difficult to do. Corundum has a melting point of over 4000 degrees celsius... a little beyond the typical blacksmith's forge, and with that kind of impact resistance, you can bet shaping it would be next to impossible by conventional methods. Instead, ruby/sapphire armors would almost certainly be magically produced, which would certainly add to the air of mystery surrounding someone wearing a gigantic gemstone into battle. And unlike adamantine, orichalcum, or mithril, it's a real material that would help add some level of credibility to the story.

Sounds way too good to be true, huh?

Well, that's kind of what I'm worried about. I'm almost certain there's some sort of major detail I've overlooked... anybody here have any idea what kind of thing that might be?

Lalliman
2018-01-28, 04:56 AM
I'm no expert, but I think that modern ceramic armour shatters on hit, and that's what makes it effective. The bullet wastes all its energy shattering the ceramic tile, so that the blunt force doesn't carry through into the wearer. As such, ceramic armour isn't worn on its own like plate armour, but it's sewn into a cloth covering, so that it stays in place even once shattered. So if you're lucky and get hit in several places, the vest can absorb several bullets. If you're unlucky and get hit in the same place multiple times, the bullet might punch through the shattered remains of the ceramic plate.

So if you were to make medieval style armour out of corundum, chances are that every time you take a hit, a piece of your armour will comically fall off your body into several pieces.

If you want more certainty, the people in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?548448-Got-a-Real-World-Weapon-Armor-or-Tactics-Question-Mk-XXV) probably know more about it.

Ironsmith
2018-01-28, 10:01 AM
Thanks. I'll see if they can help me out.

Deepbluediver
2018-01-28, 12:21 PM
Well, that's kind of what I'm worried about. I'm almost certain there's some sort of major detail I've overlooked... anybody here have any idea what kind of thing that might be?
Well, it IS a fantasy game, so ultimately you're allowed to do whatever you want and the explanation can be just "because magic". Most people agree to stop worrying about realism when we agreed to play a game where the Wizard can shoot fireballs out his elbows and the Barbarian can tank 15 axe-blows to the face without serious injury.

For example, I've designed crystaline weapons despite the fact that a sword-shaped chunk of stoney material should be (A) to heavy to wield in combat and (B) so brittle it would likely shatter under it's own weight, let alone the stresses of a fight.

If you want to have a soft version of "Realism" though, Lamellar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamellar_armour) or scale-mail armor might do the trick. Dozens of tiny crystal chips laced together or sewn onto/into a sheet of leather or cloth might be more believable to your players than one giant sheet of gemstone.

Ironsmith
2018-01-28, 12:32 PM
Well, it IS a fantasy game, so ultimately you're allowed to do whatever you want and the explanation can be just "because magic". Most people agree to stop worrying about realism when we agreed to play a game where the Wizard can shoot fireballs out his elbows and the Barbarian can tank 15 axe-blows to the face without serious injury.

This is true. For the most part, if I really wanted to, I could handwave away most of the problems with "because a wizard did it, that's why", but it's handy to have a reason on hand why the armor that's supposedly held together with fairy dust and arcane energy doesn't crumble when someone tries to dispel the enchantments holding it together, for example.

If you want to have a soft version of "Realism" though, Lamelllar (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamellar_armour) or scale-mail armor might do the trick. Dozens of tiny crystal chips laced together of sewn into a backing might be more believable to your players than one giant sheet of gemstone.

Not to mention, more forgiving if a few of them end up cracking under the pressure. I'll have to give this avenue some more consideration. Thanks, man.