PDA

View Full Version : A spell I made (balanced?)

Mad Wizard
2007-08-26, 09:58 AM
Would you allow this spell in a game of yours? If not, what changes do you think I should make?

Greater Teleport Object
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 9

This spell functions like teleport object, except that there is no weight or range limit and no chance the object arrives off target. Also, you need not have seen the destination, but in that case you must have at least a reliable description of the place to which you are teleporting the object (such as a detailed description from someone else or a particularly precise map). If you attempt to teleport with insufficient information (or with misleading information), the object disappears and reappears in its original location. Interplanar movement is not possible.

Basically, it's a higher level version of teleport object with no weight limit, distance limit, or chance to arrive off target (with most of the text shamelessly stolen from greater teleport). I'm using it in my campaign as a "warp drive" for space ships (the campaign is going to be about an alien invasion). So, is this balanced?

martyboy74
2007-08-26, 10:28 AM
This is not a ninth level spell; 8th at most.

Also, just so you know, this won't work very efficiently as a warp drive. Teleport Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/teleportObject.htm) can't teleport creatures. So sure, you can teleport the ship. But the passengers won't be coming along for the ride.

Mad Wizard
2007-08-26, 10:46 AM
Yeah, I thought of that. I'm thinking that the drive would also include a greater teleport component to bring along the people. I made it 9th because greater teleport is 2 levels above teleport, so I figure greater teleport object will be 2 levels above teleport object. Although, thinking about it, there's another, easier way. What about a spell like this:

Portal
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Sor/Wis 8 (?)
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: portal with a radius of up to 200 ft.
Duration: Concentration + 1 round per level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell creates a circular portal with a radius of up to 200 feet. Any object or creature that passes through the portal is transported to the other point that you specify upon casting. You must at least have a detailed description of the destination (see greater teleport). This spell has no range limit or chance of appearing off target. If you have a false destination, anything that passes through the portal just goes straight through, with no effect. The portal is 2 sided; anything going through either side is transported.

With this, the aliens would just have portal ships that create the portals for them to travel through.

MMad
2007-08-26, 01:40 PM
Also, you need not have seen the destination, but in that case you must have at least a reliable description of the place to which you are teleporting the object (such as a detailed description from someone else or a particularly precise map). If you attempt to teleport with insufficient information (or with misleading information), the object disappears and reappears in its original location.

I wouldn't be satisified with this description, I feel it is much too vague. I'd want something similar to the SRD's description of the Teleport spell, describing in more detail what counts as "sufficient information".

Also, I personally dislike the idea that something like this could have no risk of failure. According to sci-fi standards, I think it should work in such a way that a carefully calculated spell would have virtually no chance of failure, while a wild, haphazard Portal could throw you pretty much anywhere. This way, if you knew the place you're going to, if you have detailed maps and have been there before and have time to carefully prepare the spell with all the correct rituals and whatnot, it would be safe as houses. Opening a Portal with insufficient information, however, would be similar to a random, uncalculated Warp Jump (or whatever they call them) in Star Wars - it could throw you almost anywhere in the general direction you're going. Very dangerous, but of course perhaps necessary in extreme situations. With really nasty Mishap tables. :smallamused:

Another thought is that these things may be just a little too powerful in the hands of land-based armies and whatnot. Perhaps some kind of material component to limit their use by adventurers?

martyboy74
2007-08-26, 02:31 PM
Opening a Portal with insufficient information, however, would be similar to a random, uncalculated Warp Jump (or whatever they call them) in Star Wars - it could throw you almost anywhere in the general direction you're going.

Kinda like episodes of Star Trek one through infinity?

Mad Wizard
2007-08-26, 10:05 PM
Okay, maybe I should make the cast time 10 minutes, but add into the description that "you make make a portal as a standard action, but there is a 90% chance that you arrive off target (see below)." I think I agree, it shouldn't really automatically be perfect. Maybe this:
If you have been there before, and have a good map: 99% on target, 1% off target.

If you have a good map, but haven't been there: 95% on target, 5% off target.

If you just have a description: 80% on target, 15% off target, 5% mishap.

If the destination doesn't actually exist: Automatic mishap.

On target: you arrive safely and exactly where you wanted.

Off target: you appear 1d10*1d10% of the distance you would have traveled away from where you wanted.

Mishap: The spell fails and you or the object you are transporting takes 3d10 damage.

Roll seperately for each thing that is teleporting.

martyboy74
2007-08-27, 06:54 AM
Off target: you appear 1d10 + 1d10% of the distance you would have traveled away from where you wanted.

If you're copying that from Teleport, it should be 1d10*1d10%.

Tormsskull
2007-08-27, 07:02 AM
The first spell I would definitely not allow in my game. I know 9th level spells are supposed to be powerful, but teleporting any object of any weight would mean that a single wizard could reshape the world. He could drop mountains on enemy's heads, he could send a castle into the bottom of the ocean, etc. That's crazy.

For the second spell, I'm not sure how technical you are trying to get, but what kind of a ship are you talking about transporting? If you mean like a sci-fi space ship, wouldn't being inside the spaceship block line of effect to the outside of the ship in order to cast the spell? Or are you talking like an air ship?

Mad Wizard
2007-08-27, 12:08 PM
If you're copying that from Teleport, it should be 1d10*1d10%.
Fixed, thanks.

The first spell I would definitely not allow in my game. I know 9th level spells are supposed to be powerful, but teleporting any object of any weight would mean that a single wizard could reshape the world. He could drop mountains on enemy's heads, he could send a castle into the bottom of the ocean, etc. That's crazy.

For the second spell, I'm not sure how technical you are trying to get, but what kind of a ship are you talking about transporting? If you mean like a sci-fi space ship, wouldn't being inside the spaceship block line of effect to the outside of the ship in order to cast the spell? Or are you talking like an air ship?
That's true, the first one is overpowered. Not sure that one will work at all, because I worded it you can teleport the entire planet. I think that for the second one, don't you just need line of sight for spells like this (looking through a window), which create things? It's not like there's a ray that shoots out and creates it. If not, maybe there's a "portal ship" that can open to space with each fleet, who's pilot wears a space suit, and activates the item.