PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Race: The Shadowkin

gavinator154
2018-01-29, 11:49 AM
This is a little new to me, but here is a new playable race, the Shadowkin. I loved Genasi when they came out, but was sad at the lack of anything more shadow related. This race combines Genasi, Drow, and Tiefling into a new and interesting package that I hope isn't broken.

SHADOWKIN

Similar to Genasi in nature, Shadowkin are instead a spawn of human and some unknowable creature from the Shadowfell. Generally more stoitic and reserved, being much more evasive that other creatures, and holding a hatred for light, they find more understanding in the world than Genasi, due to many mistaking them for Drow.

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score is raised by 2 and your Constitution by 1.

Age: They age and reach adulthood much like humans, but tend to have unnaturally long lifespans, challenging the life spans of elves and easily reaching 700.

Alignment: Independant with a tendancy not care about others, Shadowkins tend towards neutrality, though the way they can be treated may end with them become more chaotic and evil.

Size: Shadowkin take forms much closer to that of their human parents, making them Medium creatures.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Eyes for Darkness: You can see in dim light and Darkness, both magical and not, within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light. However, this makes you sensitive to truly bright light. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.

The Shadow Within: Due to your heritage, you have certain inate magical abilities. You gain the toll the bells cantrip when you choose this race. At 5th, you can cast darkness once per long rest without using any components. Your spellcasting ability for these spells is Constitution.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language of your choosing.

nickl_2000
2018-01-29, 12:03 PM
This is a little new to me, but here is a new playable race, the Shadowkin. I loved Genasi when they came out, but was sad at the lack of anything more shadow related. This race combines Genasi, Drow, and Tiefling into a new and interesting package that I hope isn't broken.

SHADOWKIN

Similar to Genasi in nature, Shadowkin are instead a spawn of human and some unknowable creature from the Shadowfell. Generally more stoitic and reserved, being much more evasive that other creatures, and holding a hatred for light, they find more understanding in the world than Genasi, due to many mistaking them for Drow.

Ability Score Increase: Your Dexterity score is raised by 2 and your Constitution by 1.

Age: They age and reach adulthood much like humans, but tend to have unnaturally long lifespans, challenging the life spans of elves and easily reaching 700.

Alignment: Independant with a tendancy not care about others, Shadowkins tend towards neutrality, though the way they can be treated may end with them become more chaotic and evil.

Size: Shadowkin take forms much closer to that of their human parents, making them Medium creatures.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Eyes for Darkness: You can see in dim light and Darkness, both magical and not, within 120 feet of you as if it were bright light. However, this makes you sensitive to truly bright light. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.

The Shadow Within: Due to your heritage, you have certain inate magical abilities. You gain the toll the bells cantrip when you choose this race. At 5th, you can cast darkness once per long rest without using any components. Your spellcasting ability for these spells is Dexterity.

Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and one other language of your choosing.

My two problems here

1) Being able to see through magical darkness as a racial feature makes sense from a fluff perspective but seems to be way to much to me. I would give them 120 foot darkvision and something else as well.
2) Dexterity being your spell casting ability feel wrong to me. I don't think anyone else has a physical attribute as a casting stat. Pick a mental stat.

Giving them a shadow teleport once per short rest would be very fitting. They can step from one shadow to another like the shadow monk as a bonus action.
You could also give the ability to cast the Xanathar's spell Shadow Blade once per long rest at level 3.

Languages could be common and Netherese or Common and Undercommon as well.

gavinator154
2018-01-29, 01:04 PM
My two problems here

1) Being able to see through magical darkness as a racial feature makes sense from a fluff perspective but seems to be way to much to me. I would give them 120 foot darkvision and something else as well.
2) Dexterity being your spell casting ability feel wrong to me. I don't think anyone else has a physical attribute as a casting stat. Pick a mental stat.

Giving them a shadow teleport once per short rest would be very fitting. They can step from one shadow to another like the shadow monk as a bonus action.
You could also give the ability to cast the Xanathar's spell Shadow Blade once per long rest at level 3.

Languages could be common and Netherese or Common and Undercommon as well.

Thanks for the feedback. For the first point, I agree it seems like quite a bit to give. However, looking at other more recent races (I'm looking at YOU Aasimar), I don't think it is too much. It gives something that is normally given at Level 2 to Warlocks at a disadvantage to bright light. I think that level 2 isn't too bad, but feel free to comment on that later.

I would absolutely agree with you on the second point..if not for Genasi, who use Constitution for their racial spellcasting. I don't quite understand why they use Constitution other than that is the greater stat boost, so that is the template I followed.

5e doesn't have Netheres and they aren't from the Underdark, they are from the Shadowfell. The second language is more assumed to be a language they learned growing up, not from their heritage.

nickl_2000
2018-01-29, 01:13 PM
I would absolutely agree with you on the second point..if not for Genasi, who use Constitution for their racial spellcasting. I don't quite understand why they use Constitution other than that is the greater stat boost, so that is the template I followed.

I will give you that the Genasi have con as a casting stat, I had forgotten about that. Given that, I get my head-canon around Shadowkin using Con as well. The Genasi are giving part of their lifeforce (which is part planar) to cast a spell. I would think that the Shadowkin would make sense to cast in the same way. I just can't get around how one can use their natural agility to cast a spell.

5e doesn't have Netheres and they aren't from the Underdark, they are from the Shadowfell. The second language is more assumed to be a language they learned growing up, not from their heritage.

Fair enough, I checked on the forgotten realm wiki and saw those as languages mentioned for other Shadowfell critters. It was just a thought to give more flavor.

gavinator154
2018-01-29, 01:20 PM
I will give you that the Genasi have con as a casting stat, I had forgotten about that. Given that, I get my head-canon around Shadowkin using Con as well. The Genasi are giving part of their lifeforce (which is part planar) to cast a spell. I would think that the Shadowkin would make sense to cast in the same way. I just can't get around how one can use their natural agility to cast a spell.

Yeah, I might switch to Con. It actually makes more sense for the Shadowkin than even the Genasi.

Fair enough, I checked on the forgotten realm wiki and saw those as languages mentioned for other Shadowfell critters. It was just a thought to give more flavor.

It is weird that it doesn't give one in 5e. If I wasn't writing this so specifically for 5e, I would totally put it in.

nickl_2000
2018-01-29, 01:34 PM
It is weird that it doesn't give one in 5e. If I wasn't writing this so specifically for 5e, I would totally put it in.

At some point they will give us a Planar Handbook, then you will have something to work with and can edit it then.