PDA

View Full Version : Expeditious retreat spell

Whit
2018-01-29, 03:49 PM
Casting 1 bonus action
When you cast this spell, and then as a bonus action on each of your turns until the spell ends, you can take the dash action.

Does this mean after casting it, I can immediately use dash or do I have to wait until my next turn to tart using it

jollydm
2018-01-29, 03:53 PM
You can use it immediately upon casting, as noted in the part that says "When you cast this spell..."

Kuulvheysoon
2018-01-29, 04:55 PM
Correct. You normally only get one Bonus Action per round, and you've already used yours to cast expeditious retreat this round. However, the spell text explicitly allows you to dash as a bonus action as part of the casting.

Whit
2018-01-29, 05:12 PM
Thanks. That’s what I was checking

MrStabby
2018-01-30, 06:55 AM
Yes, it is that good.

JackPhoenix
2018-01-30, 10:40 AM
Correct. You normally only get one Bonus Action per round, and you've already used yours to cast expeditious retreat this round. However, the spell text explicitly allows you to dash as a bonus action as part of the casting.

Technically, it doesn't allow you to take Dash as BA, but as "no action" as a part of the casting. It's similar to Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade... you make melee weapon attack as a part of the casting, but it's not a separate action. Minor difference, but important: you don't get 2 BA per turn under any circumstances.

Kuulvheysoon
2018-01-30, 04:02 PM
Technically, it doesn't allow you to take Dash as BA, but as "no action" as a part of the casting. It's similar to Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade... you make melee weapon attack as a part of the casting, but it's not a separate action. Minor difference, but important: you don't get 2 BA per turn under any circumstances.

That is what I was trying to get across, but alas, I rolled a natural 1 on my Intelligence (Grammar) check.

Samayu
2018-01-30, 10:23 PM
Is it true that you can't take more than two movements per turn?

Tanarii
2018-01-30, 10:42 PM
Is it true that you can't take more than two movements per turn?
Technically you only get one movement, but it can be split up around your Action. And in between attacks if you have Extra Attack. So effectively, you can take as many "movements" as you need up to your total movement.

Dash doesn't move you, it just increases your movement for your turn by your speed. For each Dash action taken, if you can take more than one. Ie use your Action and a Bonus action to Dash, or use two Actions via Action Surge.

ImproperJustice
2018-01-31, 12:00 AM
This is one of those few really nifty spells for the Artificer to use their infusion on.

Multiple allies, especially the martials, can use this to quickly gain a melee position or chase down a troublesome enemy.