PDA

View Full Version : Breathing with bag of holding

Toulash
2007-08-26, 06:37 PM
Hi

While in a smokefilled dungeon, a PC has been trying to make the case he can use a bag of holding as an airbag since you can survive for ten minutes according to the description.

Is he stretching the intent, or is he creative?

Icewalker
2007-08-26, 06:43 PM
Sounds creative. However make him use some smallish action every round/few rounds to either hold it up or stick his head in it.

BCOVertigo
2007-08-26, 06:55 PM
Sounds creative. However make him use some smallish action every round/few rounds to either hold it up or stick his head in it.

I second the motion.

Mithhuan
2007-08-26, 08:47 PM
Also, add in a reflex save to keep from letting smoke into the bag

tannish2
2007-08-27, 02:32 PM
have them use their hands to hold it up to their face, make ti their swift action that round and count them as unarmed, if not then they might get smoke in the bag... maybe

Darrin
2007-08-27, 03:17 PM
While in a smokefilled dungeon, a PC has been trying to make the case he can use a bag of holding as an airbag since you can survive for ten minutes according to the description.

Somewhat creative. There should be enough breathable air inside the bag to allow a medium-sized creature to survive for ten minutes. I assume he's not riding inside, and is trying to hold it up to his mouth to breath, like a 10-minute bottle of air? Given how forgiving the suffocation rules are in D&D, however, if he's trying to take "sips" of fresh air and then holding his breath in between... that's pushing it, since you could then stretch that 10-minute limit out several hours. If that was the case, then at some point, possibly after 10 minutes or after whatever the current threat was, I'd tell him, "Repeatedly opening and closing the bag has let in too much smoke to provide fresh air. Make a Fortitude roll."

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-08-27, 05:44 PM
While your head is in the bag, you can breathe normally, for ten minutes. However, you are also effectively BLIND, which means flat-footed to any and all attacks.

After ten minutes, it's no good anymore. It refills from the air around it, but the air around it is smoky, so either you a) breath in it for 10 mins, flat footed and blind, or b) you're not breathing in it, and thus dealing with smoke.

Harold
2007-08-27, 05:59 PM
well I'm no bag of holding expert, but if its not that thick it could go through the bag. Sounds creative enough to me but as Mithhuan said there should be a reflex save.