PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the Heavy Defense (5e Monk Archetype)

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-02-14, 09:24 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11DDIegBXblx2vOWFaHfTy2lgtDeKS7C7EVuuEO4BcVw

With the addition of the kensei monk in Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, I had a thought. If you can have a weapons-master monk, why not have an armor master as well? This archetype gains the ability to use armors for offense and defense as they progress in a way no other class really can. If you have any suggestions for balancing, I’m always happy to talk it out. If you liked this, feel free to check out some of my other homebrew stuff.

Lalliman
2018-02-14, 09:51 AM
Is it intentional that Martial Arts still doesn't work while wearing armour? Or is the idea that when you gain proficiency, you also gain the ability to Martial Arts in that type of armour? What about Unarmored Movement?

Either way, there's an unfortunate loophole here: You can start with one level of fighter to get heavy armour proficiency, then multiclass into monk. Heavy Fist now grants a +8 damage bonus right from level 3. This is insane if Martial Arts works, and still really good if it doesn't (9 + Str or Dex is better than greatsword, and you can still Flurry for Ki).

I do like the idea of Heavy Fist though. I guess you can fix it by specifying that it only works when you got the armour proficiency from the monk class. It's clunky, but it works. Not sure how else to fix it.

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-02-14, 10:07 AM
Is it intentional that Martial Arts still doesn't work while wearing armour? Or is the idea that when you gain proficiency, you also gain the ability to Martial Arts in that type of armour? What about Unarmored Movement?

Either way, there's an unfortunate loophole here: You can start with one level of fighter to get heavy armour proficiency, then multiclass into monk. Heavy Fist now grants a +8 damage bonus right from level 3. This is insane if Martial Arts works, and still really good if it doesn't (9 + Str or Dex is better than greatsword, and you can still Flurry for Ki).

I do like the idea of Heavy Fist though. I guess you can fix it by specifying that it only works when you got the armour proficiency from the monk class. It's clunky, but it works. Not sure how else to fix it.

That was actually just a huge oversight. Oops. But you bring up a good point. I’ll add the stipulation it has to be proficiency from the monk class.

JNAProductions
2018-02-14, 12:52 PM
Broken Steel needs a Ki cost.

Overall, seems MOSTLY okay, though. I am a touch worried at gaining an extra 8 damage per attack at 17th level, though...

AgentMaineSIGMA
2018-02-14, 02:32 PM
Broken Steel needs a Ki cost.

Overall, seems MOSTLY okay, though. I am a touch worried at gaining an extra 8 damage per attack at 17th level, though...

Fair. Call it double your normal flurry of blows’ cost?