PDA

View Full Version : Best Fibonacci multiclass

clash
2018-02-14, 09:36 AM
Just for fun, I am putting out a challenge for the best character development across all tiers (levels 5,11,17 and 20) using the fibonacci number sequence to determine your order of class levels. For those unfamiliar with it, the sequence is 1,1,2,3,5,8 So the idea is that number indicates how many class levels you can take before switching to a different class. You can multiclass in several classes or alternate between 2 but the numbers indicate how many levels of a class you can take in a row.

For example:
1 Fighter, 1 rogue, 2 Fighter, 3 Ranger, 5 Fighter, 8 Rogue

Lets see what people come up with.

tieren
2018-02-14, 09:44 AM
First level paladin (armor and weapon proficiencies)
One level warlock (fey)
2 levels of paladin, gets you to pal3, smiting, spell casting, oath (OotA)
3 levels of warlock, gets you war4, 2nd level spells, short rest slots for smiting, invocations, pact boon,ASI
5 levels of paladin, gets you pal8, more ASI, aura
8 levels of warlock, gets you war 12, up through 5 th level spells, 6 th level mystic arcanum, another short rest slot, more invocations, etc...

the_brazenburn
2018-02-14, 09:45 AM
Hexblade 1, Rogue 1, Fighter 2, Conquest Paladin 3, Dragon Sorcerer 5, Moon Druid 8.

Just my take on it; would make a decent DEX gish.

Naanomi
2018-02-14, 09:57 AM
Well... at the laziest you could have an 8/12 multiclass... Paladin/Hexblade or the like plays decently at such a split

Vogie
2018-02-14, 10:04 AM
Actually a curse archer (Hexblade Warlock / Arcane Archer) would fit in that rather well

1 Warlock (Hexblade's Curse)
1 Fighter (Archery Fighting Style)
2 Warlock (Pact of the Blade, Improved Pact Weapon, & 1 other invocation)
3 Fighter (Arcane Archer Archetype, Action Surge, ASI)
5 Warlock (Eldritch Smite, ASI, 4th level spell slots, & 1 more invocation)
8 Fighter (Extra attack x2, Magic Arrows, Curved Shot, 3 ASIs, and Indomitable)

You could switch the order for a similar build, but with 12 points in Warlock, so you'll have better initial saves, better spellcasting, and less attacks.

The downside of the Fibonacci multiclassing is nearly no one gets a bonus for having an 8/12 split, as those are ASI levels. The only difference is Revised Ranger and Cleric, who gain Fleet of Foot or Divine Strike at level 8.

MxKit
2018-02-15, 05:14 AM
Man, this split is especially hard on spellcasters, huh? :smalltongue:

I wanna come back to this later and try to come up with a)a decent spellcaster split and/or b)six different classes that somehow work decently together with a Fibonacci split... For now, though, I have IMO a solid Battle Master/Swashbuckler build that I think would play fairly strongly at all levels.

Go with Air Genasi, and with standard array and the racial bonuses go:

STR: 8
DEX: 16
CON: 15
INT: 10
WIS: 12
CHA: 14

1st level: Go Rogue. Expertise and 1d6 Sneak Attack is good, and Thieves' Cant is there. 11 HP isn't bad, and your proficiencies are solid.
2nd level, take a level of Fighter. Second Wind is solid at 2nd level, and grabbing a Fighting Style is cool; Rogues do well with two-weapon fighting, but of course defense and dueling are also solid choices. You also have access to all weapons now, and both medium armor and shields if you want them, and you get a nice little boost to HP.
3rd level is another level of Rogue, and Cunning Action is good.
4th level is Rogue and lets you choose the Swashbuckler subclass, giving you Fancy Footwork and Rakish Audicity, both of which are quite nice (even with just a +2 to Charisma), as well as upping your Sneak Attack damage to 2d6.
5th level switches things back over to Fighter, giving you Action Surge.
First tier checkpoint! The character is now Swashbucker 3/Fighter 2, and doing pretty good.

6th level is another level of Fighter, and lets you go Battle Master. Three maneuvers and four d8 superiority dice are always awesome, and you also get proficiency in any one type of artisan's tool, which is never bad.
7th level is one more level of Fighter, giving you an ASI or feat.
8th level is Rogue, giving you another ASI or feat. By this point you'll probably have Dex 18 and Con 16, maybe with a feat. I would honestly have gone +1 Str +1 Con here, to be able to pick up Athlete next ASI and get both the benefits of that feat and erase my one negative modifier, but that's just me.
9th level is also Rogue, which gives you Uncanny Dodge (great) and increases your Sneak Attack damage to 3d6.
10th level is more Rogue and gives you your second round of Expertise, which is never bad to have.
11th level is even more Rogue and gives you Evasion (GREAT) and increases your Sneak Attack damage all the way up to 4d6, which is as high as you're gonna get.
Second tier checkpoint! The character is now Swashbuckler 7/Battle Master 4, and is pretty damn solid at this point, I think, having quite a bit of stuff to play with.
12th level is your final level of Rogue, and it's just gonna get you an ASI, which I feel is solid. As I said before, I'd probably take Athlete here and get up to Str 10.
13th level and beyond is all Fighter. This level gets you Extra Attack! Never a bad thing for a martial to have.
14th level gets you another ASI or feat. You have room to play here; you can either max Dex, raise Con or Cha just because, or start snagging feats. Medium Armor Master would not be out of place; nor would Dual Wielder if you're using two-weapon fighting and feel the need for it at this point.
15th level gives you two more maneuvers, one more superiority die, and Know Your Enemy.
16th level gives you another ASI or feat. You know what else is a good feat for Battle Masters and might be worth grabbing somewhere around these levels? Martial Adept. Something like Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster could also be fun if you want to start doing a tiny bit of spellcasting at higher levels.
17th level gives you one use of Indomitable per long rest, which is excellent!
Third tier checkpoint! The character is now Battle Master 9/Swashbuckler 8, has a lot of nice tricks up their sleeve and a lot of wiggle room to play around build-wise. I think the build is doing pretty great here.
18th level gives you two more maneuvers, and increases your superiority dice to d10s.
19th level gives you your second Extra Attack, which means you can make three attacks per turn now! And once per short or long rest, that's six attacks per turn. That's not too bad!
20th level gives you your final ASI or feat. Since this is your "capstone," getting to choose a feat here is kind of fun. Since some people complain that Lucky is overpowered, this might actually be an appropriate time to take it.
Fourth tier checkpoint! The character ends as a Battle Master 12/Swashbuckler 8, and pretty strong, IMO.
Personally, what I'd wind up with by the end here would probably be:

STR: 10
DEX: 20
CON: 16
INT: 10
WIS: 12
CHA: 16
Feats: Athlete, Martial Adept

I think that makes for a pretty darn good, if straightforward, build.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-02-15, 05:16 AM
1 wizard, 1 wizard, 2 wizard, 3 wizard, 5 wizard, 8 either wizard or a wizard prestige class. :smalltongue:

(Then 13 epic wizard.)