PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Critique My Boss

The Nth Doctor
2018-02-14, 10:39 PM
So my party won't be fighting him anytime soon (and in fact, maybe not at all), but I wanted to get all the details worked out in advance. For context, he's basically the most powerful living divination wizard in the world and has spent years wandering the eddies of time viewing all possible futures, giving him a supernatural predictive ability.

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-L4yeFLDWTgE14UX-sNg

And i know I don't have HP or a CR listed yet.

JNAProductions
2018-02-15, 12:15 AM
NEVER!

Oh, okay, fine. I'll look at it. :P

Why does he have EVERY SINGLE SAVE?

Greater Portent is either useless (he rolls 8-12ish) or GOBSMACKINGLY POWERFUL (he rolls a 1 or 20). Bad ability. Give him the regular 3 portent rolls, maybe 4.

Overall, though... He's a single level 20 Wizard, plus some slight buffs. He's gonna get ROLLED, unless he has oodles of HP.

The Nth Doctor
2018-02-15, 12:54 AM
NEVER!

Oh, okay, fine. I'll look at it. :P

Why does he have EVERY SINGLE SAVE?

Greater Portent is either useless (he rolls 8-12ish) or GOBSMACKINGLY POWERFUL (he rolls a 1 or 20). Bad ability. Give him the regular 3 portent rolls, maybe 4.

Overall, though... He's a single level 20 Wizard, plus some slight buffs. He's gonna get ROLLED, unless he has oodles of HP.

The reason for the saves has to do with the general design principle. It's less to do with his superior physical and mental skills and more to do with his ability to predict the actions of those around him. If he knows what you're going to do, it's very hard to hit him.

The Greater Portent is really a paired done lair action, I just think it looks better to get it all one one page. with a +14 to hit on spell attacks, even an 8 or a 12 on the portent role probably guarantees a hit against a PC. This is for an online game though and I was considering running a playtest against some of my IRL gaming friends and I'll keep the suggestion in mind and maybe test both to see which works better or if Greater Portent is overpowered.

And he will have decent HP, but will also have minions to pull agro. Addiotnally, Blur + Mirror Image and Maze really evens the playing field.

Hugh Mann
2018-02-15, 12:23 PM
The legendary action "insightful redirect" contradicts the description given for legendary actions given on the page. It it says that legendary actions can only be used at the end of another creature's turn, while "Insightful Redirect" is used in response to an attack.

Hugh Mann
2018-02-15, 12:58 PM
Also, you have it set up as regaining all legendary actions at the start of "each" turn instead of regaining all of them at the start of "it's" turn.

Gaslampgenie
2018-02-15, 02:16 PM
I have to imagine that it would have to be some absolutely preposterous scenario to have this fellow end up in a fight. If he has such a gift for divination I image he would always be able to put himself in a situation where he could avoid the conflict entirely or engage his foes in a time and place where they had literally no chance of overpowering him.
Just finding and interacting with this character seems like an insurmountable challenge if he doesn't want to be found.

If you're suspending that consideration for now forget what I just said!
Just food for thought.
Bet he will be a hell of a pain to fight!

The Nth Doctor
2018-02-15, 02:44 PM
Also, you have it set up as regaining all legendary actions at the start of "each" turn instead of regaining all of them at the start of "it's" turn.

Yah, that't just a typo, thanks for catching that.

The Nth Doctor
2018-02-15, 02:46 PM
I have to imagine that it would have to be some absolutely preposterous scenario to have this fellow end up in a fight. If he has such a gift for divination I image he would always be able to put himself in a situation where he could avoid the conflict entirely or engage his foes in a time and place where they had literally no chance of overpowering him.
Just finding and interacting with this character seems like an insurmountable challenge if he doesn't want to be found.

If you're suspending that consideration for now forget what I just said!
Just food for thought.
Bet he will be a hell of a pain to fight!

Your're absolutely right, but there is a moment in time where they're going to have to be in the same place at the same time, but up until that moment he is going to completely avoid conflict. There's going to be a point where he tries to recruit the PCs, so any fight will be delaying tactics for a couple rounds while he monologues before teleporting away.

Gaslampgenie
2018-02-15, 03:15 PM
Hahahaha that's going to be so frustrating for the party

Fire Tarrasque
2018-02-17, 04:44 PM
I feel like he'll burn through all his high level spells, the casters will figure out that they aren't that effective and resort to either buffing or pulling the agro from/taking out the minions, while the fighter types kill him. Once he runs out of 6th level spells, he doesn't have enough steam to do huge damage. He'd probably start out by doing huge damage by time stopping and then throwing out some prismatic sprays, disintegrates and the like, rapidly dropping and damaging characters, then using things like wall of force, maddening darkness, and confusion too mess with the party, but after that, if they survive and can handle the minions, it seems like all he can do is stall or escape. Though i'm not the greatest judge, and haven't tested this or anything, it seems mostly well done, unless your looking for a long drag out fight, with both slides very slowly weakening.
The legendary actions do change this a fair bit, but with smart enough PCs who manage to counterspell or the like through the initial burst, he can run away and avoid very well, but loses his killing power.
Unless he goes and does something really smart like portenting a 20 into a PC's attack then redirecting it.