PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Input Requested: Monk Way of the Collective

Wheaton's Whelp
2018-02-17, 01:38 PM
Hello Everyone,

I've been throwing around and trying to balance a homebrewed Monk Tradition, Way of the Collective. You can look it over here:

Way of the Collective on Homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkZaR2xBwG)

Any input on ways to improve the Tradition, or areas that you feel are too OP/Weak/just Blah, please let me know! If you are inspired to try to use the Way of the Collective, please let me know how the class feels in practice. Any notes you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Fire Tarrasque
2018-02-17, 04:33 PM
It's... eh?
It's not blah, it's just got a weird flavor, along with it being kind of weird for a monk. If you built this as a full class, it would be better, but having a being from a monastery, generally having lead a frugal life, specializing in extravagance? It appears to be well built mechanically, and with a consistent flavor, but it just doesn't blend well with the larger class.
The name is a bit weird too, it feels more like it's a monk from a hive mind than a skilled craftsman.
TL;DR: Well built, but clashes with the flavor of the macro-class. Weird name. Maybe develop into a full class?

Wheaton's Whelp
2018-02-18, 02:33 PM
@Fire Tarrasque: Thank you for your feedback!

The name is a bit weird too, it feels more like it's a monk from a hive mind than a skilled craftsman.

Good point, aiming for more a community focused monk. Some potential changes could be: Way of the Congregation, Way of the Common Life, Way of the Cenobite, Way of the Laborer? I'll have to give it more thought.

TL;DR: Well built, but clashes with the flavor of the macro-class. Weird name. Maybe develop into a full class?

My inspiration for the Tradition is from the movie Kung fu Hustle, particularly the scenes involving the secret masters who work common jobs, but fight to fend off the Axe Gang. I'll post the video below. Any thoughts on how I could change the wording to closer align with this flavor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDr1MD2a1aM

Fire Tarrasque
2018-02-18, 04:43 PM
It makes much more sense put in that context, but at the same time they appear to be using their utensils of choice for combat, more than actually using their utensils of choice as they were intended.
But in that context, it does look much better.
(Way of the craftsman?)

Wheaton's Whelp
2018-02-18, 09:01 PM
(Way of the craftsman?)

I like this! I am going to incorporate this in.

Some other changes made:

Way of the Collective to Way of the Craftsman
Changed the Cook's Trade Secret so the base healing from leftovers is 2d4 + Wis Mod, and increases by 1d4 at levels 9, 12, 15, and 18.
Added requirement for Life of Service that the monk and ally have to stay with 60 ft. of each other to match the Warding Bond spell.
Added to Cook to have advantage on Wisdom Survival checks to scavenge for food in the wild as part of the Adventuring Artisan feature.
Added to Cook's Trade Secret feature the ability to spend a Ki point to use Patient Defense and when a creature misses you, you can use your reaction to perform the Help action and give the next ally advantage on the first attack against this creature.
Added to Chamberlain's Adventuring Artisan feature to give advantage on Wisdom Medicine checks to stabilize others.

Some things I think need to be reworked/changed (Suggestions please!):

Not a fan of the Carpenter's weapon, or the Trade Secret ability to make difficult terrain. Maybe change to Hatchet, and perhaps change the Trade Secret feature to be about attacks either overcoming resistance, or somehow temporarily lowering target AC by creating a weak point in its armor.
Add something additional to Chamberlain's Adventuring Artisan feature?
Your ideas here!